PDA

View Full Version : New Coach For Next Year

Pages : [1] 2

birddog
3/14/2011, 12:34 PM
maybe this ties into keeping our incoming guys(maybe that's not even a concern.) but we gotta have a man run the show. i thought the capel pick was out there ,though i liked it but this one is gonna be WAAAY out there. guess we'll start with the regional coaches in the area and go from there.

Breadburner
3/14/2011, 01:03 PM
Phil Jackson.....

3rdgensooner
3/14/2011, 01:06 PM
but we gotta have a man run the show..
As compared to, say, a llama?

Lott's Bandana
3/14/2011, 01:07 PM
Oklahoma, Arkansas and Tceh all looking now.

This will be interesting.

Straz1999
3/14/2011, 01:52 PM
I think its gonna be Terry Evans. Honestly, who else could it be? The dude wins EVERYWHERE he goes, its his alma-mater and it would honestly take him all of about 30 seconds to accept the job, if offered.

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 01:53 PM
My son just said in Chicago they are reporting Tom Isso to OU -- good friends with Bob Stoops!

Straz1999
3/14/2011, 01:55 PM
I think Tom Izzo is honestly a pipe dream.

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 01:55 PM
I agree Izzo is a pipe dream but reporting what is coming out of Chicago media.

Straz1999
3/14/2011, 01:58 PM
Tribune or Sun Times?

Midtowner
3/14/2011, 02:05 PM
I agree Izzo is a pipe dream but reporting what is coming out of Chicago media.

Is this the same blogger who reported Stoops to Notre Dame?

Terry Evans would be a terrific hire. As a UCO alumnus, I'd hate to see him go, but there's no denying that he's almost an ideal candidate.

Izzo's current salary alone makes him a not-so-realistic candidate.

Straz1999
3/14/2011, 02:18 PM
Also why would Izzo leave Michigan State, a basketball school, for a football school when he could have been paid a ridiculous amount of money for two different NBA jobs?

Seamus
3/14/2011, 02:20 PM
but we gotta have a man run the show.

As long as he's 40 ... :cool:

LiveLaughLove
3/14/2011, 02:26 PM
I posted before and will again, this guy would do awesome here and wants the job badly. Andy Enfield.

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/enfield_andy00.html

NBA ties, lots of 'em in fact. His wife was a Maxim model from Mustang. They would love living here.

He's already pretty rich, so money isn;t the biggest factor for him. He is a very very intelligent fundamentals, and x's and o's guy (something thats been missing for 5 years now).

Our free throw precentages alone would keep us in most games, since he is a free throw shooting coach for NBA players, and is a freak about it. See FSUs precentages before Andy and after.

I know he probably wont even get a smell, but if someone on here knows Joe, do us a favor and have him at least interview Andy.

oumartin
3/14/2011, 02:28 PM
Terry Evans or the Butler coach.

I'd even take Kelvin back though I hate the guy

BoomerSooner, esq.
3/14/2011, 02:36 PM
I like Brad Stephens or Mark Few if Joe C. can get him out of Gonzaga

badger
3/14/2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031411aaa.html

News conference by Joe C. at 4 p.m.

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 02:41 PM
Whoever it is will be squeaky clean. We can't even get a sniff from a top kid because of the scrutiny inside our recruiting process due to past transgressions. Also, we still have a few "issues" around the program that are being cleaned up. The knowledgeable OU fan knows it's not even worth guessing what Joe C. is going to do. It's fun to watch and interesting at the end but there is no way anybody is going to know.

Straz1999
3/14/2011, 02:43 PM
I'd even take Kelvin back though I hate the guy

Come on man, are you serious???

soonervegas
3/14/2011, 02:47 PM
If Izzo were to come here I might actually weep tears of joy.

The actual chances of that happening are south of 0%. Phil Jackson has better odds of transpiring.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 02:47 PM
Those guys would never come here. We won't get a big name guy. This isn't exactly Duke/UNC/Kansas/UCLA we're talkin' about here. This is OU basketball. Sad to say, but very true...

OULenexaman
3/14/2011, 02:49 PM
Tribune or Sun Times?

I would guess this is coming from 670 The Score....

oumartin
3/14/2011, 02:50 PM
Those guys would never come here. We won't get a big name guy. This isn't exactly Duke/UNC/Kansas/UCLA we're talkin' about here. This is OU basketball.

Thats a pretty idiotic statement.

OU is a top 20 job in the country even with what capel did.
Brad Stephens would come here if the price was right.
OU is a better job than Butler by a long shot.

Mark Few will die at Gonzaga for sure.

I started the Izzo rumor days ago and now it's gotten legs. how funny cuz that dude aint coming here.

There are only a handful of teams with more wins in the last 30 years then OU.

LiveLaughLove
3/14/2011, 02:56 PM
The looming NCAA trouble will probably hurt us in getting a "big" name guy.

Don't need a big name guy though. Just a good solid coach.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 03:01 PM

I started the Izzo rumor days ago and now it's gotten legs. how funny cuz that dude aint coming here.

My bad... You're absolutely right! All our championships in b-ball will have guys racing to Norman. I'm sure John Calipari, Ben Howland, and Bob Knight already have interviews set up. C'mon now, we got lucky and hit a home-run when we got Tubbs and Sampson over-achieved. Let me know when the Brad Stephens to OU rumors start... :rolleyes:

Straz1999
3/14/2011, 03:08 PM

Did you start the Stoops to Notre Dame rumor as well?

soonervegas
3/14/2011, 03:11 PM
17th all time in final four appearances
21st all time NCAA tourney victories
19th all time in NCAA appearances

Seems like a pretty good gig.

But the painful one....2nd most NCAA wins without a title at 35
Illiniois is #1 on that list at 38, I think.

TucsonSooner
3/14/2011, 03:13 PM
but if someone on here knows Joe, do us a favor and have him at least interview Andy.

:rolleyes:

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 03:18 PM
I will never understand why if someone dares criticize our cheerleaders you will get crucified on here BUT fire away on the basketball program. We are absolutely one of the top basketball programs in the country and it was long before Billy got here. We have fallen behind with our facilities but that can fixed. We also have made some bigtime mistakes in recruiting but they is already being addressed. It won't be long before some will be hoppin back on.

GDC
3/14/2011, 03:32 PM
We are absolutely one of the top basketball programs in the country and it was long before Billy got here.

This is the most ridiculous part of an overall ridiculous post.

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 03:33 PM

That Izzo rumor you started has been picked up by Chicago Sports media. Too funny!

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 03:36 PM
Tribune or Sun Times?

Coming off the radio sports show.

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 03:40 PM
Did you all read the comments by Joe C and Pres Boren on the link about the press conference at 4:00 p.m.? It says they released him from his contract -- is that a nice way of saying he was fired?

Eielson
3/14/2011, 03:40 PM
I personally would prefer Krzyzewski, but I guess I would settle for Izzo.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 03:46 PM
Hell, why not Phil Jackson??? :rolleyes:

Eielson
3/14/2011, 03:54 PM
Hell, why not Phil Jackson??? :rolleyes:

Too old. Don't want him.

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 04:00 PM
This is the most ridiculous part of an overall ridiculous post.

Because you said so. All I said was we are "One of" the top programs...we aren't Duke heck we aren't even Butler right now but have been and will be again. Billy wasn't the first to be successful at OU.

bluedogok
3/14/2011, 04:04 PM
I will never understand why if someone dares criticize our cheerleaders you will get crucified on here BUT fire away on the basketball program. We are absolutely one of the top basketball programs in the country and it was long before Billy got here. We have fallen behind with our facilities but that can fixed. We also have made some bigtime mistakes in recruiting but they is already being addressed. It won't be long before some will be hoppin back on.
Yeah, the job was so great Dave Bliss went 76-52 and left for that powerhouse basketball program SMU :rolleyes:

Billy Tubbs replaced Bliss, the team was decent under John McLeod (90-69) but he also had Alvin Adams. The OU men's basketball team was always mediocre to decent before Tubbs outside of the Final Four appearance in 1947 they never did much. The potential is there just because of resources but it is not one of the top programs in the country.

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 04:05 PM
In the meantime keep ripping your school.

Mjcpr
3/14/2011, 04:07 PM
I know all the top recruits are talking about that '47 Final Four team.

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah, the job was so great Dave Bliss went 76-52 and left for that powerhouse basketball program SMU :rolleyes:

Billy Tubbs replaced Bliss, the team was decent under John McLeod (90-69) but he also had Alvin Adams. The OU men's basketball team was always mediocre to decent before Tubbs outside of the Final Four appearance in 1947 they never did much. The potential is there just because of resources but it is not one of the top programs in the country.

Who is Alvin Adams ?

Ground_Attack
3/14/2011, 04:09 PM
I think "top school" is relative. In football, there are fewer since there are ~120 FBS schools. However, in basketball, there are more than 300 D1 schools. I don't think by top school he means we are top 10, but I would say that we would bee somewhere around #15-25 based on the past 30 years.

Ground_Attack
3/14/2011, 04:09 PM
Who is Alvin Adams ?

your basketball opinions are now worthless :D

LiveLaughLove
3/14/2011, 04:10 PM

Top what of the country? Top ten? nope.

Top twenty? very likely.

Top twenty five? For sure. No question about it. The record says so.

Thats good enough to get a good decent coach. Being a football school will turn off some of the insecure ones, but it also allows OU to pay more to non football coaches than those coaches would get otherwise.

OU is a good basketball school and a good basketball job. Maybe not great, but good to even very good.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 04:12 PM
Who is Alvin Adams ?

*smh*

your basketball opinions are now worthless :D

^^^THIS.

Eielson
3/14/2011, 04:15 PM
Who is Alvin Adams ?

Weren't you just talking about our pre-Tubbs success?

:confused:

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 04:19 PM

306 teams have played in the NCAA basketball tournament. The OU winning percentage places us 40th. 4 Final Fours and 1 one Final.

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 04:19 PM
Weren't you just talking about our pre-Tubbs success?

:confused:

It's not ALVIN. It's Alvan. So, stop with the red spek OK spelling Bee champs and head shakers.

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 04:20 PM
He's not with the chipmunks. Wow. Wow. Wow. I freakin' give up.

oumartin
3/14/2011, 04:23 PM
306 teams have played in the NCAA basketball tournament. The OU winning percentage places us 40th. 4 Final Fours and 1 one Final.

do the math since 1980

I believe OU won more basketball games than any other team in the 80's.

We all know the 90's were pretty consistant though not great.

Since 2000 this team has been to two elite 8's and one final four.

five of the last 7 years is what's done this program in. Good ole' Kelvin and his phone and Capel with some shaddy recruits and very low win percentage.

Eielson
It's not ALVIN.

Did it not come up for you when you were googling or something?

Mad Dog Madsen
It's not ALVIN.

OMG it's ALVAN... People on here can't even spell Billy Sims' name right. What do you expect? :D

badger
3/14/2011, 04:29 PM
Presser just ended. Thoughts?

OULenexaman
3/14/2011, 04:30 PM
was Alvan there??

badger
3/14/2011, 04:32 PM
I have no idea - I only caught the last few minutes and was hoping someone who listened to it all could fill the rest of us in.

:D sooooo... anyone?

soonervegas
3/14/2011, 04:32 PM

and 11 of those schools have less than half our games played in the tourney....

LoveDemSooners
3/14/2011, 05:01 PM
I want Geno Auriemma...lol

soonercoop1
3/14/2011, 05:06 PM
17th all time in final four appearances
21st all time NCAA tourney victories
19th all time in NCAA appearances

Seems like a pretty good gig.

But the painful one....2nd most NCAA wins without a title at 35
Illiniois is #1 on that list at 38, I think.

I count '88 as Championship...no way should KU have won that....still stings to this day...

nativesooner
3/14/2011, 05:08 PM
Terry Evans is happy where he's at. Plus I've heard he was snubbed for Capel last time so I doubt he bothers. I'd love to see him, but I seriously doubt it happens. Look for another midmajor coach on a scuicide mission. That or Booby Knight. lol!

soonerkj
3/14/2011, 05:21 PM
Oh please let it be Billy Gillespie!!

fwsooner22
3/14/2011, 05:26 PM
Did it not come up for you when you were googling or something?

No, my dad had season tickets at the old field house and then the early days of Lloyd Noble. I saw the great Mr. Adams play at PC too. I don't need google to spell Don Sidle either.

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 05:28 PM
I don't think Tubbs got to really take things as far as he could have. Kelvin got himself executed, Jeff was a nice guy...I wish him well....

Castiglione has probably been working on someone for awhile.

Once he has a commitment...we''ll be able to turn our excitement to seeing what kind of moves the new guy makes...

Good Luck Jeff.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/14/2011, 05:38 PM

intriguing
wonder if he's a possibility?

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/14/2011, 05:51 PM
If we can't get Mark Few, how about Randy Bennett? St Marys has been pretty damn good the last few years, they got hosed by the selection committee this year.

cobrapilot
3/14/2011, 06:47 PM
Billy Clyde Gillespie would have us in the tourney in a year. He is one hell of a coach, recruiter and disciplinarian

nativesooner
3/14/2011, 06:48 PM
Billy likes to booze too much. Boren runs a tight, clean ship. It won't be him.

oumartin
3/14/2011, 06:53 PM
Boren likes to dress in womens clothes so I'm not sure he has any room to judge.

Ruf/Nek7
3/14/2011, 06:54 PM
As much as I would love to have Butler's Brad Stephens, I don't think it is going to happen. He would have to leave a long contract he signed last year after making his run to the championship game. Not going to be Brad.

birddog
3/14/2011, 07:24 PM
fraschilla

bluedogok
3/14/2011, 07:36 PM
It's not ALVIN. It's Alvan. So, stop with the red spek OK spelling Bee champs and head shakers.
Yep, fw22 was correcting my ALVIN.....
I have an excuse, I'm been on Hydrocodone today :D

Reports down here are Texas Tech is already in on him.

booomer
3/14/2011, 07:56 PM
As compared to, say, a llama?

heh

Serenity Now
3/14/2011, 08:49 PM
Boren likes to dress in womens clothes so I'm not sure he has any room to judge.Greatness. :)

Tom Izzo = no way. Joe C. won't just take a hot name. I trust him. Jeff lost on the bad luck of the two freshmen from last year who burned him. That was a lot of equity that walked out the door that wasn't ready for the next level. It was time for a fresh start or a rebooting of the game. What about Steve Fisher at SDSU? I wish Paul Westhead wasn't in his mid-70's.

oumartin
3/14/2011, 08:54 PM
Steve Fisher would be an awesome hire but he's old too but man that guy can coach.

OU_Sooners75
3/14/2011, 09:35 PM
Billy Clyde Gillespie would have us in the tourney in a year. He is one hell of a coach, recruiter and disciplinarian

So if we do hire Gillespie and he doesnt get us to the tourney next year...what are you going to do? Start pressing for him to be fired?

cburgsooner
3/14/2011, 09:35 PM
I vote for Billy Cylde

Ton Loc
3/14/2011, 10:43 PM
WTF with the Billy G talk?

I want a guy who can coach himself out of a brown paper sack, but not one who also drinks out of one.

I'm really excited to see who gets hired, but I doubt its anyone who has already been listed.

yankee
3/14/2011, 10:44 PM
B-B-B-Buzz Williams!

cdlbdd
3/15/2011, 12:57 AM
I want Johnny Jones.

zandozan
3/15/2011, 05:06 AM
B-B-B-Buzz Williams!
This.

He's a character guy, runs a clean program and wins. He's also funny as hell and sounds like just about everybody I know from south Oklahoma. Watch these videos to get an idea of what he's about.

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/11976/1359369?title=world_sports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRcx5j0xgJU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWW18SZJDQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwk-yP3F0Es&feature=related

Love the boot camp, looks like it really builds a team. If we could get this guy I think he's exactly what we're looking for. Lets not be willing to settle for a guy like Gillespie who has his own character issues. Nor should we sacrifice the team for individuals like Capel was willing to do. I think the 2nd video spoke the most to what was wrong the last couple of years. The more I see about Buzz Williams the more I like and I think most of you will too. This guy is big time and someone we can trust to rebuild our program the right way.

EatLeadCommie
3/15/2011, 07:48 AM
Billy likes to booze too much. Boren runs a tight, clean ship. It won't be him.

this

BoonesFarmSooner
3/15/2011, 08:05 AM
For those of you who think OU isn't a top-tier basketball program, ESPN did a quantitative ranking for basketball since the '84-85 season and we are #12.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3493766

(Published in 2008)

EatLeadCommie
3/15/2011, 08:19 AM
Terry Evans is happy where he's at. Plus I've heard he was snubbed for Capel last time so I doubt he bothers. I'd love to see him, but I seriously doubt it happens. Look for another midmajor coach on a scuicide mission. That or Booby Knight. lol!

Hard for any impartial observer to think that Evans was snubbed. He simply didn't have much of a resume when Capel was hired.

19-10
11-17
22-8
17-13

That is not going to get you hired by OU if you're coming from a Division I school, much less a Division II school.

Since Capel was hired, Evans has gone...

20-8
28-6
24-6
22-7
30-3 (and still in the tournament)

That's a bit better.

stoopified
3/15/2011, 08:21 AM
I wonder if THE OKLAHOMAN will have a 68 coach plaoff to find OUr new coach.I DO recall that in the 64 candidate coach-off five years ago Capel wasn't even a rumor.I have no idea who the coach will be but my guess isit will be a name that makes us all say WTF?Much like Bliss,Tubbs,Sampson,Capel.

King Barry's Back
3/15/2011, 09:17 AM
I think "top school" is relative. In football, there are fewer since there are ~120 FBS schools. However, in basketball, there are more than 300 D1 schools. I don't think by top school he means we are top 10, but I would say that we would bee somewhere around #15-25 based on the past 30 years.

What makes a job a "top job"? Is it the number of games a school has won in the past? I don't think so.

I think the quality of a school's program has more to do with the resources and attention lavished upon it. At a Duke, or Kentucky, the students skip football games to watch the BB team practice. Those coaches walk into a kids living room, and the kid is already begging to sign.

OU basketball is not that. OU basketball is the kind of program where a work-aholic, overachieving coach can win more than his fair share of games, but he's got to scrap and fight to see big success. Bill Self is a great coach in his own right, but he is helped immeasurably by being at Kansas. At KU, he does not have to scrap and fight. He takes the cream of recruiting, and then goes out and wins 2/3rds of his Big XII games based on talent. Again, that's not OU basketball.

I think OU is a very good job, maybe a great job, for the right type of coach.

But let's not kid ourselves that we are going to just grab out pick as coach.

Soonerjeepman
3/15/2011, 09:17 AM
Hard for any impartial observer to think that Evans was snubbed. He simply didn't have much of a resume when Capel was hired.

19-10
11-17
22-8
17-13

That is not going to get you hired by OU if you're coming from a Division I school, much less a Division II school.

20-8
28-6
24-6
22-7

That's a bit better.

impressive...I kind of like the idea...he's homegrown, has done well, played at OU...I honestly would rather see someone like that...that LOVES the STATE of Oklahoma and the university to raise his family here...he has a vested interest in OU.

I think kids would listen to him....

nativesooner
3/15/2011, 10:47 AM

19-10
11-17
22-8
17-13

20-8
28-6
24-6
22-7

That's a bit better.

May be true, but Jeff couldn't say "I gave my heart and soul to this University, I can recruit Oklahoma talent easily, and I've worked as the Director of Basketball operations here!"

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Terry to come now and heck I probably wouldn't have minded back then. But if he was told "sorry fella, we're going with a Duke guy despite your connection!" back then he may not want to come. Plus he said a few months ago he was happy where he's at. Though it wouldn't bother me at all if Joe C showed him the $$. :D

The Maestro
3/15/2011, 10:54 AM
Another vote for Buzz Williams.

Eielson
3/15/2011, 11:06 AM
Another vote for Buzz Williams.

Why is everybody so big on Buzz? His team has gotten gradually worse all three years he's been at Marquette.

bigfatjerk
3/15/2011, 11:09 AM
Why is everybody so big on Buzz? His team has gotten gradually worse all three years he's been at Marquette.

They've gone to the NCAA Tournament 3 straight years in the toughest conference in the nation. Big 12 is tough but not that tough.

The Maestro
3/15/2011, 11:52 AM

A lot of close losses in the toughest league by far.

Two years of moving to second round of NCAA Tournament and just barely missing sweet 16 two of those years.

And ever try to recruit a kid to Milwaukee? I am thinking our facilities and campus atmosphere is a smidge better for a kid than Marquette.

We could do worse than Buzz Williams.

OUMallen
3/15/2011, 12:00 PM
Coach Collins or Wojo, currently associate head coaches under Coach K and have coached under him for over a decade each. I'd take either one- Collins is sort of the face guy and Wojo is the intense one.

zandozan
3/15/2011, 12:25 PM

The guys making the decisions at OU, i.e. Boren and Castiglione, are undoubtedly tired of having to defend their basketball program to the NCAA and tired of replacing these coaches who get them in trouble. Buzz not only is a good coach and a great recruiter, he's a character first guy. His teams and the players he recruits to them are of very good character. They sacrifice for the team. As Buzz said in one of the videos I posted, there will never be a selfish kid on one of his teams because he would be so hard on them they simply wouldn't be able to stay. He's kind of like Kelvin but not a raging hypocrite (hopefully).

The Maestro
3/15/2011, 12:31 PM
Coach Collins or Wojo, currently associate head coaches under Coach K and have coached under him for over a decade each. I'd take either one- Collins is sort of the face guy and Wojo is the intense one.

I thought that, too, but we just fired a Dukie...they wouldn't accept on the cultic principle alone.

OUMallen
3/15/2011, 12:46 PM
Let them make that choice, if they will. Capel never coached for K. Those two are ripe for picking and perfect for a program like OU. We owe it to ourselves to give well-groomed assistant coaches like them a serious, serious look.

We've been raided for assistants for years under Stoops. High time we did some raiding of our own. :)

badger
3/15/2011, 04:40 PM
OU to take different tack with this coach hunt (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110315_234_0_NORMAN887376)

TopDawg
3/15/2011, 04:52 PM
I kinda like the Buzz Williams guy but...

Nor should we sacrifice the team for individuals like Capel was willing to do.

I don't think that's what Capel was "willing" to do. If he would've known how those guys would pan out, he wouldn't have taken them. To put it another way...

As Buzz said in one of the videos I posted, there will never be a selfish kid on one of his teams because he would be so hard on them they simply wouldn't be able to stay.

Isn't that what happened to Capel? Selfish guys got on the team and then weren't able to stay. Buzz's quote indicates that it's possible to recruit a selfish kid without knowing he's selfish until he gets on campus (not because of some philosophy where you're willing to sacrifice the team for individuals). I'm pretty sure that's what happened to Capel. It's the same sort of thing that happened to Stoops when we started getting the attention of the really big-time recruits and it's a big part of what contributed to our 2005 season.

The Maestro
3/15/2011, 04:52 PM
So Capel apologists and folks that felt he earned another shot, please respond to the last portion of that story just posted...

"Now, Castilgione must pitch a program coming off back-to-back losing seasons for the first time since 1965-67. Capel’s only signee last November was Robert Goff, a 6-9 forward who averaged 9 points and 6 rebounds at Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College. An estimated 4,759 fans attended the OU-Nebraska game at Lloyd Noble Feb. 16."

Not winning...not signing anyone...not putting butts in seats...not to mention the NCAA issues.

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 04:56 PM
He is getting another shot. One more bad Season and he probably wouldn't get a job at a Jr. College.

Things happen for a reason and I don't think I've heard him complain about it. It could be that he was glad to move on.

Just because fans like a Coach doesn't mean the Boss does. The Boss sees a lot more than we do and has the right to protect their brand. They just protected OU's Brand when Jeff could not.

pappy
3/15/2011, 04:58 PM
Isn't Capel getting like 2-3 million for being fired?

badger
3/15/2011, 05:16 PM
Isn't Capel getting like 2-3 million for being fired?

Yes, but perhaps the buyout money will be held in an interest-bearing account until the NCAA investigations are over?

I think OU would seriously consider doing that, if not for the fact that Capel and OU have probably negotiated a lesser buyout than the contract stipulates just so that both sides can move on, regardless of the NCAA outcome.

Soonerjeepman
3/15/2011, 05:25 PM
I liked the idiots at espn saying Capel is still a hot commodity and a very good coach and will show folks...will end up back at this roots...back east...

rigghhhttt.....

stoopified
3/15/2011, 06:47 PM
I liked the idiots at espn saying Capel is still a hot commodity and a very good coach and will show folks...will end up back at this roots...back east...

rigghhhttt..... If you don't think Capel will land another D-1 HC job,you aren't paying attention.Capel has 175 career wins in 9 seasons and just lead a group of college kids to victory in international competition this past summer.unlike some around here think, Capel is still a hot prospect.

oumartin
3/15/2011, 07:09 PM
If you don't think Capel will land another D-1 HC job,you aren't paying attention.Capel has 175 career wins in 9 seasons and just lead a group of college kids to victory in international competition this past summer.unlike some around here think, Capel is still a hot prospect.

Give me 8 to 10 of the best college kids in the country and I could go win in international competition

Eielson
3/15/2011, 07:34 PM
Give me 8 to 10 of the best college kids in the country and I could go win in international competition

I guarantee he is coaching a D-1 program soon unless there are legal issues.

soonerbub
3/15/2011, 07:42 PM
I think Capel will follow Kelvin's footsteps and be an assistant or a scout in the NBA--one thing's for sure he can go sit on the beach and do nothing if he wants

you're welcome Coach

soonervegas
3/15/2011, 08:44 PM
I was a big proponent of Capel leaving, but even I think he will be a success somewhere else. Fact is he gambled and lost, but it not up to OU to let him continue to sit at the table and chase his losses. Someone else can stake him with a clean slate.

oumartin
3/15/2011, 08:44 PM
Hey I liked Capel. I didn't want him to go really but you give any coach a ton of talent and they will win. It's not rocket science

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 08:46 PM
Sometimes a guy just isn't a good fit...

badger
3/15/2011, 08:50 PM
I guarantee he is coaching a D-1 program soon unless there are legal issues.

I bet we don't have to pay the full buyout if he gets another job too. I think whatever he gets paid at a different program for a predetermined time period is subtracted from the buyout.

birddog
3/15/2011, 09:17 PM
Sometimes a guy just isn't a good fit...

it's almost too easy.

NMSooner'80
3/15/2011, 11:55 PM
I'm still intrigued by another OU-ex named Terry - guy named Stotts who was an NBA head coach for a time and is still in "the league" as an assistant with the Dallas Mavs.

SoonerMom2
3/16/2011, 12:22 AM

19-10
11-17
22-8
17-13

20-8
28-6
24-6
22-7

That's a bit better.

Oklahoman is reporting tonight that Terry Evans is interested in the OU job! Sounds like a good fit.

Soonerjeepman
3/16/2011, 12:27 AM
If you don't think Capel will land another D-1 HC job,you aren't paying attention.Capel has 175 career wins in 9 seasons and just lead a group of college kids to victory in international competition this past summer.unlike some around here think, Capel is still a hot prospect.

didn't say he wouldn't...I was saying it was more like OU kicked out a successful coach and we screwed up...was the way one guy seem to spin it, really defended Capel.

Don't know him personally but he seems like a good guy...just not good for OU. I do wish him luck.

BudsBoy
3/16/2011, 09:23 AM
So if we do hire Gillespie and he doesnt get us to the tourney next year...what are you going to do? Start pressing for him to be fired?

Yes.

EnragedOUfan
3/16/2011, 09:33 AM
I hope we get Terry Evans! The coach is a proven winner. I watched him turn Midwest City into a power house. He turned UCO into a power house. He's an excellent coach. I've seen arguments that "he doesn't have D-1 coaching experience" and "he won't be able to lead us to a tournament". I have to disagree with both of these statements. All coaches start somewhere and OU should be the place for Terry Evans. The man knows Oklahoma and he has good ties with Oklahoma kids. Oklahoma has some ballers and I think Terry Evans would be able to bring in the good ones to OU. Not to mention, his overall record shows that he knows how to coach basketball and what we need is a coach that knows how to coach em up, not some hot name superstar/ex Duke/KU/Kentucky player hired only because of their past.

The Maestro
3/16/2011, 10:07 AM
I like Terry Evans as a person. Had a few classes with him while we were both at OU and a straight up guy.

Having said that, hiring a guy on merits of coaching at Midwest City High School and UCO in Edmond has the foul odor of the John Blake approach. Too risky. Unproven.

3rdgensooner
3/16/2011, 10:12 AM
Having said that, hiring a guy on merits of coaching at Midwest City High School and UCO in Edmond has the foul odor of the John Blake approach. Too risky. Unproven.
It worked for Sherri Coale.

Regardless, I still have a lot of confidence in Joe C. I'm very interested to see who he goes with.

badger
3/16/2011, 10:27 AM
It worked for Sherri Coale.

Regardless, I still have a lot of confidence in Joe C. I'm very interested to see who he goes with.

Ja, but Sherri had to do a LOT of losing before landing her first big prospect, who apparently only came to OU when her first choice Texas Tech (who once had Sheryl Swoopes and was a top program at the time) didn't have a scholly for her.

Then, she found some Canadian chick and things took off from there :D

yankee
3/16/2011, 11:13 AM
Ja, but Sherri had to do a LOT of losing before

Bingo!

I bet Terry could turn around this program in time. But a lot of OU fans are the impatient and unreasonable type. I don't think he'd provide a quick fix, and Joe C can't afford to have a long term project on his hands. Hire Terry as an assistant. I know he had a go under Sampson, but he might be willing to try it again.

The Maestro
3/16/2011, 11:17 AM
Women's hoops at the time Sherri Coale came along vs. big-time men's college hoops today.

Not a good analogy for equal standards.

stoopified
3/16/2011, 01:08 PM
Give me 8 to 10 of the best college kids in the country and I could go win in international competitionExplain why the last two US teams in that tourney failed to do so then.

stoopified
3/16/2011, 01:25 PM
Ja, but Sherri had to do a LOT of losing before landing her first big prospect, who apparently only came to OU when her first choice Texas Tech (who once had Sheryl Swoopes and was a top program at the time) didn't have a scholly for her.

Then, she found some Canadian chick and things took off from there :DI agree but OU Showed patience with her.She went 28-55 in her first 3 years.Burl Plunkett had been 52-36 in the previous three years and administration could have overreacted like they did in this case.Thankfully they didn't and the rest as they say is history.

Ton Loc
3/16/2011, 01:36 PM
Holy hell, where did all these basketball coaching experts come from? No doubt, Joe C has you all on speed dial. Please stop with the UCO dude. I know he is a good guy and all but there is no way they let Jeff go and being in a guy with no D1 experience. OU doesn't have the time and the fans don't have the patience to let him coach.

I feel like they let Capel go to early and it had more to do with people aboveJoe C than it did wins, losses, and NCAA infractions (the stuff that really matters).

They better hire some one that's a name, with proven success, experience, and the ability to turn it around fast. If not, they're going to look like fools for letting him go.

either way, I'll be here, supporting the team and whoever they trick into coming.

Soonerjeepman
3/16/2011, 01:37 PM
thing is I honestly doubt he got fired for coaching merit alone...I'm just guessing but there has to be some other things...

besides the ncaa invest. he's had quite a few leave or get removed...that is not a good sign. Who was the guard...top guy that didn't even make it through the semester...?...

13 of the 24 he recruited didn't make it through eligibility...9 - 23 last 2 yrs in Big12...

LiveLaughLove
3/16/2011, 01:41 PM
I agree but OU Showed patience with her.She went 28-55 in her first 3 years.Burl Plunkett had been 52-36 in the previous three years and administration could have overreacted like they did in this case.Thankfully they didn't and the rest as they say is history.

They didn't overreact in this case. Sherri didn't have the problems on and off the court that this guy had. The ones that have caused any problems (after her success started) for her are quickly dispatched, not allowed to stay.

She isn't in trouble with the NCAA. She can coach x's and o's, and she can recruit great players that represent OU well. None of which Capel could do, outside of BG.

He might become a great coach one of these days (and I hope he does), but this was too much too early in his career. Joe let it play out, as he should have.

When he was still the coach, some of you guys (not saying you specifically) slammed any of us that questioned Capel, saying Joe C. must think he's a good coach because he's still here. Well, he ain't here no mo'. I guess now Joe C. is a reactionary. :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/16/2011, 02:04 PM
I would just like to say that whoever we hire should be fired!

oumartin
3/16/2011, 02:55 PM
Sherri can coach x's and O's but sucks at teaching fundamentals. Of course those fundamentals are things they should know when arriving on campus.

EnragedOUfan
3/16/2011, 04:37 PM
Holy hell, where did all these basketball coaching experts come from? No doubt, Joe C has you all on speed dial. Please stop with the UCO dude. I know he is a good guy and all but there is no way they let Jeff go and being in a guy with no D1 experience. OU doesn't have the time and the fans don't have the patience to let him coach.

I feel like they let Capel go to early and it had more to do with people aboveJoe C than it did wins, losses, and NCAA infractions (the stuff that really matters).

They better hire some one that's a name, with proven success, experience, and the ability to turn it around fast. If not, they're going to look like fools for letting him go.

either way, I'll be here, supporting the team and whoever they trick into coming.

Your logic is flawed........Bob Stoops was an assistant before getting hired to lead OU. His hire was a home run. Terry Evans was an assistant at one point for a D-1 school (OU), before taking the UCO job..........You could say he was only D-1 for a temporary time, but it won't change the fact that he was a D-1 assistant. And I stand by my opinion that after watching this years UCO squad in person, I think UCO could handle OU.

fwsooner22
3/16/2011, 05:11 PM
Your logic is flawed........Bob Stoops was an assistant before getting hired to lead OU. His hire was a home run. Terry Evans was an assistant at one point for a D-1 school (OU), before taking the UCO job..........You could say he was only D-1 for a temporary time, but it won't change the fact that he was a D-1 assistant. And I stand by my opinion that after watching this years UCO squad in person, I think UCO could handle OU.

Okay, now this thread has outlived its life.

OUMallen
3/16/2011, 05:21 PM

Great post.

I'll repeat: Coach Collins or Wojo from Duke. Been coaching for K for a decade. They'r ready liek Stoops was.

birddog
3/16/2011, 08:49 PM
BRASKY, you on a 2 year bane? this is the time for you to shine with all your PI guys checkin in and hangin around potential candidates.

if brasky dun runnoft. someone with some "credibility" post who some of the realistic candidates may be?

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/17/2011, 12:51 AM
No one has pointed out the obvious solution...Bob Stoops..

Eielson
3/17/2011, 12:57 AM
No one has pointed out the obvious solution...Bob Stoops..

I was going to vote for him as president, but I guess I could go with Eric B.

GDC
3/17/2011, 08:31 AM
Pastner's name keeps coming up. I am just thrilled Capel is out of here.

OUMallen
3/17/2011, 09:57 AM
Bye bye Billy.

DickieV Dick Vitale
Sounds like new AD @ Texas Tech has his man in ex Kentucky coach Billy Gillespie. He was not a good fit @ UK.He is natural 4 state of Texas.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Eielson
3/17/2011, 03:25 PM
Pastner's name keeps coming up. I am just thrilled Capel is out of here.

Pastner for Capel would be a really dumb trade.

GDC
3/17/2011, 03:26 PM
Pastner for Capel would be a really dumb trade.

How so?

Eielson
3/17/2011, 03:36 PM
How so?

Well, what were the mistakes we made in the Capel hiring?

Capel had moderate success at a mid-major, and had very little experience. Pastner had slightly more success at a mid-major and even less experience.

Capel was too young. Pastner is 33.

Capel had some recruiting violations. Pastner was one of Calipari's assistants.

I'm just not seeing how we're really upgrading here. It's a pretty similar hire.

jthomasou78
3/20/2011, 12:18 PM
What about the guy from Butler, Brad Stevens. Is the idea that he would not come to Oklahoma?

oumartin
3/20/2011, 01:33 PM
U heard it here first. Danny Manning

Phil
3/20/2011, 01:37 PM

You shut your whore mouth.

Ruf/Nek7
3/20/2011, 03:08 PM
What about the guy from Butler, Brad Stevens. Is the idea that he would not come to Oklahoma?

Even though I am a huge Brad Stevens fan, it won't happen. He signed a 5 year contract with Butler last year and honestly I feel he would prefer to be at Butler as opposed to OU.

bigfatjerk
3/21/2011, 11:33 AM
Even though I am a huge Brad Stevens fan, it won't happen. He signed a 5 year contract with Butler last year and honestly I feel he would prefer to be at Butler as opposed to OU.

He's been at Butler about 12 years. Basically all of his adult life, he ain't leavin'.

bigfatjerk
3/21/2011, 11:36 AM
Well, what were the mistakes we made in the Capel hiring?

Capel had moderate success at a mid-major, and had very little experience. Pastner had slightly more success at a mid-major and even less experience.

Capel was too young. Pastner is 33.

Capel had some recruiting violations. Pastner was one of Calipari's assistants.

I'm just not seeing how we're really upgrading here. It's a pretty similar hire.
I think the only real problem we had with Capel is that Capel didn't really have a system. None of these things were really the problem. What exactly was he hanging his hat on as a coach?

nebraskaSOONER
3/21/2011, 02:52 PM
Get Brad S. from Butler!!! PLEASE!!!

yankee
3/21/2011, 02:58 PM
Get Brad S. from Butler!!! PLEASE!!!

Unfortunately, he signed an extension at Butler that's good through the 2021-2022 season.

I don't know how I'd be able to contain my pure joy/happiness/excitement if we somehow landed him. Someone needs to make a gif of this vid:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Video-After-upset-win-Brad-Stevens-chest-bumps?urn=ncaab-wp831

TMcGee86
3/22/2011, 12:00 PM
JVG

He prob won't do it cause I think he'll be an NBA coach next year, but he would be perfect.

Soonerjeepman
3/22/2011, 12:01 PM
JVG

He prob won't do it cause I think he'll be an NBA coach next year, but he would be perfect.

who?

Soonerjeepman
3/22/2011, 12:04 PM

I hope not....just because of '88...not sure he can coach (honestly..not bad mouthin)..but he is a name guy..

GDC
3/22/2011, 02:11 PM
**** Danny ****ing Manning

Jason Alexander
3/22/2011, 02:44 PM
JVG

You're hilarious

Vegas Sooner
3/28/2011, 05:02 AM
Kruger

OUmillenium
3/28/2011, 10:30 AM
**** Danny ****ing Manning

This

badger
3/28/2011, 10:51 AM
He's been at Butler about 12 years. Basically all of his adult life, he ain't leavin'.

:D It's funny that you say that, considering I can't look at the guy without making a comment like "look at the cute widdle guy dressed up in a big boy suit. is he an athlete on injury reserve? is he a GA that graduated waaaay early? bawwwww" :D

http://www.butler.edu/absolutenm/articlefiles/1946-Brad%20Stevens%20by%20John.jpg

badger
3/28/2011, 04:08 PM
How I feel at this point, after about two weeks without hiring a new coach since firing the old one:

dEtm_Q2LK9g

Eielson
3/28/2011, 04:42 PM
I've heard the possiblity of Kevin Stallings from Vanderbilt. I don't hate him, nor do I love him, but I figured I'd bring up his name since nobody has brought him up on here that I can see.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 05:45 PM
Well if we're just bringing up names...Red Auerbach (or however you spell his stupid Irish name). Maybe Pat Riley. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Quik Sand
3/28/2011, 05:53 PM
Well if we're just bringing up names...Red Auerbach (or however you spell his stupid Irish name). Maybe Pat Riley. Yeah, that's the ticket.Jerry Sloan....considering someone actually called the Sports Animal today with that suggestion.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 06:03 PM
Jerry mother****ing West. Hells yes!

Eielson
3/28/2011, 07:08 PM
Well if we're just bringing up names...Red Auerbach (or however you spell his stupid Irish name). Maybe Pat Riley. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Yeah, I totally just pulled that name out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2011, 01:29 AM
They would calling for Jerry Sloan's head the first time we won 41-38. There would be a Fire Gerry Slone!! Threads. People would say stuff like I would support the team more if they weren't just so damn boring. We would have to hear about how Billy Tubbs teams could muster more than 41 points in a half against this team. While also forgetting that the other team would also have scored 41 points in that same half. The same people that seem to forget that Tubbs lost 6 of his last 7 games at OU including 5 by double digits.

oumartin
3/29/2011, 06:33 AM
I'm starting to think Joe C. might not have a clue. He may look like a bafoon by the time this search is over.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/29/2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah he has totally screwed up the Women's Basketball, Softball, Football, Gymnastics, and Baseball coaches he has hired. All those programs may not recover from his ****ty hires!

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 02:28 PM
I'm starting to think Joe C. might not have a clue. He may look like a bafoon by the time this search is over.

Why? Cause he hasn't hired Bruce Pearl yet? Sheez y'all, let Joe do his job.

badger
3/29/2011, 02:32 PM
Deano, Joe C. fired Jeff C. on March 14. It is already March 29. That's like, more than two weeks of waiting. Seriously, how can anyone expect any form of patience lasting longer than two weeks, let alone two days.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 02:39 PM

Two weeks is ample time to find a new coach. In the mean time, other schools are having no problem getting their coach.

:texan:

oumartin
3/29/2011, 02:40 PM

He may end up hiring bruce pearl by the time this debacle is done.

badger
3/29/2011, 02:42 PM
He may end up hiring bruce pearl by the time this debacle is done.

If the end result is Sherri Coale singing Boomer Sooner in an OU cheerleading outfit, will there be any complaints outta you boys then?

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 02:44 PM
Granted, no one really knows which coaches Joe C has entertained or offered...but....

Buzz Williams looks like he is staying at Marquette.
Anderson went to Arkansas.
Pastner appears to be staying at Memphis.
BYU coach has said he has no interest in the OU job.
ASU coach...that would be a lateral move at best.

Like I said, not sure who Joe C has on his radar, but our options and time is running out. The longer this takes, the worst the coach will be.

Sometimes waiting things out hurts you more than helps you. It sends the wrong signal to others in the profession.

I do not know if coaches have turned Joe down. But when coaches go elsewhere or stay put that is not a good sign.

OU_Sooners75
3/29/2011, 02:45 PM
If the end result is Sherri Coale singing Boomer Sooner in an OU cheerleading outfit, will there be any complaints outta you boys then?

Well yeah...because if that is the end result, we would still be needing a basketball coach. :P

oumartin
3/29/2011, 02:46 PM

not if she is wearing a pair of stilettos! ;)

badger
3/29/2011, 03:23 PM
not if she is wearing a pair of stilettos! ;)

I'm sorry to inform you all this, but in order to get Sherri in stilettos and a cheerleading uniform singing Boomer Sooner (and possibly tapping out the drum beat with her heels, yes), you will first have to endure Pearl in crimson body paint at an OU womens game.

Did he seriously paint his armpit hair too? Ewwwwwwwwwww :eek:

oumartin
3/29/2011, 03:35 PM
I'd endure whatever it takes.

Boomer.....
3/29/2011, 03:47 PM
Granted, no one really knows which coaches Joe C has entertained or offered...but....

Buzz Williams looks like he is staying at Marquette.
Anderson went to Arkansas.
Pastner appears to be staying at Memphis.
BYU coach has said he has no interest in the OU job.
ASU coach...that would be a lateral move at best.

Like I said, not sure who Joe C has on his radar, but our options and time is running out. The longer this takes, the worst the coach will be.

Sometimes waiting things out hurts you more than helps you. It sends the wrong signal to others in the profession.

I do not know if coaches have turned Joe down. But when coaches go elsewhere or stay put that is not a good sign.

It's not looking good. He has probably had some of his top choices say no and is scrambling to find another quality coach.

What about Lon Kruger at UNLV or Tad Boyle at Colorado?

Jason Alexander
3/29/2011, 03:52 PM
I want an Oklahoman coaching Oklahoma.

So, that leaves Terry Evans and Sherri Coale

oumartin
3/29/2011, 03:58 PM
I want an Oklahoman coaching Oklahoma.

So, that leaves Terry Evans and Sherri Coale

Or Stacey King.. I'm tellin' ya he wants the job

Jason Alexander
3/29/2011, 04:04 PM
How about Evans is hired, then he makes Stacey King an assistant? Then, when Bill Self leaves Kansas, they can hire Stacey King over Danny Manning.

oumartin
3/29/2011, 04:06 PM
But Danny and his squad beat King and his so maybe we should take Manning. :D

Jason Alexander
3/29/2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah, but this would be Stacey's revenge. He can take over at Kansas and purposely make it the most undesirable job in basketball, next to the Cavaliers.

oumartin
3/29/2011, 04:13 PM
i misread, yes they should hire stacey over danny and ruin that program.. good call

AlboSooner
3/29/2011, 04:22 PM

I'll take Joe C over anybody else in the country. Joe C is no buffoon.

badger
3/29/2011, 04:33 PM
I'm sure KU wants to fire Self after he lost (remember! players win and coaches lose!) to VCU. Single-handedly of course (because again, coaches lose and players win!)

They are paying Self too much(highest in Big 12, I think) to lose to VCU. Can his arse, KU. You deserve better!

(even if this wishful thinking happened, i don't think he'd land at ou)

kelloggOUballa
3/29/2011, 04:40 PM
I'm thinking it will be either Fran Fraschilla or Terry Evans.

yankee
3/29/2011, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking it will be either Fran Fraschilla

31g0YE61PLQ

badger
3/29/2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Fraschilla_Fran_cropped.jpg
Why don't you love me? I'm on ESPN!

kelloggOUballa
3/29/2011, 04:45 PM
Just sayin...I think he would be a good hire.

badger
3/29/2011, 04:51 PM
If nobody else will say it, I will --- this haircut is making a comeback in the tourney, and I LOVE IT!

http://i56.tinypic.com/nx8d37.jpg

(and yes, that is the one and only Terry Evans, future head coach of Sooner basketball. We love you in advance of your hiring, Coach Terry!)

EatLeadCommie
3/29/2011, 05:03 PM

The Coach K coaching tree does not have much of a successful track record. Plus, both those guys were annoying ******nozzles as players. They'd probably be similar as coaches. One also has to ask why they haven't been scooped up at this point since they've been consistent figures on the Coach K bench for several years now.

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 05:37 PM
If nobody else will say it, I will --- this haircut is making a comeback in the tourney, and I LOVE IT!

http://i56.tinypic.com/nx8d37.jpg

(and yes, that is the one and only Terry Evans, future head coach of Sooner basketball. We love you in advance of your hiring, Coach Terry!)

Now, if we could only get the shorts to make a comeback...

kelloggOUballa
3/29/2011, 06:53 PM
Now, if we could only get the shorts to make a comeback...

Top Daug first, then the shorts!

C&CDean
3/29/2011, 06:54 PM
I'm down with that. TD, then hot pants.

TopDawg
3/30/2011, 10:22 AM
Any support for the return to red and white and the turbo OU?

oumartin
3/30/2011, 10:27 AM
Are those converse cons he's sportin'? those were the heaviest dang shoes ever.

Boomer.....
3/30/2011, 10:45 AM
It's not looking good. He has probably had some of his top choices say no and is scrambling to find another quality coach.

What about Lon Kruger at UNLV or Tad Boyle at Colorado?

Both of these coaches saying that they do not want to come to OU.

The list is getting short and pathetic. :mad:

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2011, 10:49 AM
The list is getting short and pathetic. :mad:

I disagree. A lot of quality coaches in America, including many you and I have never heard of.

oumartin
3/30/2011, 10:49 AM
I've got Bruce on speed dial.

Boomer.....
3/30/2011, 10:55 AM
I disagree. A lot of quality coaches in America, including many you and I have never heard of.

But they wont excite this fan base which is what it needs. We will probably have to pull from a mid-major.

Names like Gregg Marshall, Brooks Thompson, Scott Sutton, Ben Jacobson, Randy Bennett, and Johnny Jones are being thrown around.

oumartin
3/30/2011, 10:58 AM
and Bruce Pearl, and Terry Evans and Stacey King and (Danny Manning for the real die hard OU fans). :)

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2011, 11:04 AM
My original top three, in no particular order, was Terry Evans, Billy Gillispie and Buzz Williams.

Now, with the news out there, my top three would be Evans, Gregg Marshall and Fran Fraschilla. Also really like Kim Anderson at Central Missouri (was at Mizzou when Joe C. was there), but I think there is zero chance of that happening.

Sooner in Tampa
3/30/2011, 11:07 AM
But they wont excite this fan base which is what it needs. We will probably have to pull from a mid-major.

Names like Gregg Marshall, Brooks Thompson, Scott Sutton, Ben Jacobson, Randy Bennett, and Johnny Jones are being thrown around.

I don't give a **** who they hire...I only care about winning basketball games with a clean program!!!!

oumartin
3/30/2011, 11:09 AM
I don't give a **** who they hire...I only care about is winning basketball games with a clean program!!!!

guess that rules out Kelvin coming back

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2011, 11:09 AM
I don't give a **** who they hire...I only care about is winning basketball games with a clean program!!!!

Preach! I agree 100%, wish the rest of our fan base felt the same way.

Boomer.....
3/30/2011, 11:25 AM

Oh, Joe will make sure we are going to be a clean program but I'm not sure about the winning right away.

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2011, 11:31 AM
Still hearing a lot of Kruger talk...

87sooner
3/30/2011, 11:34 AM

i don't care about a clean program...just don't get caught..

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 11:57 AM
I think I really just found out what's wrong with our fanbase...

oumartin
3/30/2011, 12:03 PM

to many postal workers?

badger
3/30/2011, 12:11 PM

No SF.com tailgates during basketball season?

C&CDean
3/30/2011, 12:13 PM
to many postal workers?

Too many pron star wannabes?

oumartin
3/30/2011, 12:14 PM
Too many pron star wannabes?

well could be that too...

zandozan
3/30/2011, 12:23 PM
I noticed a major shift in tone on this board from Monday to Tuesday. I guess a lot of you were expecting some kind of news the first of the week? I understand the anxiousness but try to relax and let Joe C do his job. He knows more than anyone on this or any other board, what OU needs and what we can get. I have confidence in his ability to do it. He didn't overnight become a bad AD.

We come to the board to vent and hypothesize, that's what it's for. Let's just try not to get too panicked when other programs are hiring coaches and we're still going through the process. There's still some very good names out there, and I'm sure some most of us haven't heard of. Who knew about Billy Tubbs or Kelvin Sampson before they were hired? In this age of instant information, people expect instant results. Joe C is too thorough for that and I expect he will hire someone that most of us will be happy with once we get to know them.

At least wait until a week after the Final Four to panic ;)

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2011, 12:28 PM
I noticed a major shift in tone on this board from Monday to Tuesday. I guess a lot of you were expecting some kind of news the first of the week? I understand the anxiousness but try to relax and let Joe C do his job. He knows more than anyone on this or any other board, what OU needs and what we can get. I have confidence in his ability to do it. He didn't overnight become a bad AD.

We come to the board to vent and hypothesize, that's what it's for. Let's just try not to get too panicked when other programs are hiring coaches and we're still going through the process. There's still some very good names out there, and I'm sure some most of us haven't heard of. Who knew about Billy Tubbs or Kelvin Sampson before they were hired? In this age of instant information, people expect instant results. Joe C is too thorough for that and I expect he will hire someone that most of us will be happy with once we get to know them.

At least wait until a week after the Final Four to panic ;)

This.

oumartin
3/30/2011, 12:29 PM
we hadn't heard of Billy or Kelvin cuz the internet dent exist.

badger
3/30/2011, 12:39 PM
I guess a lot of you were expecting some kind of news the first of the week?

No, the second week... now the third week. It's been 16 days! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

oumartin
3/30/2011, 01:21 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and break this.. The new OU coach lost a game last night.

He's a cocky, brash one who has won his share of games.. initials are KM

Boomer.....
3/30/2011, 01:27 PM
SicEm would be pissed!

badger
3/30/2011, 01:43 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and break this.. The new OU coach lost a game last night.

He's a cocky, brash one who has won his share of games.. initials are KM

Nuh uh. Wikipedia CLEARLY states that he is the coach of Washington State, not the coach of Oklahoma! :P

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2011, 03:08 PM
Nuh uh. Wikipedia CLEARLY states that he is the coach of Washington State, not the coach of Oklahoma! :P

But his initials are TB, not KM!

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2011, 03:28 PM
Could someone please explain to me what exciting the fan base has ANYTHING to do with who Joe C. hires? I don't remember any parades or just a ton of excitement for when Bob Stoops got hired. If he hired the Okarche basketball coach and he is a great coach, I don't give two ****s if Joe Public Fan isn't excited about such a boring hire.

oumartin
3/30/2011, 03:32 PM
I was there at the Stoops presser declaring a NC in year three. I was a year off.

87sooner
3/30/2011, 03:44 PM
Could someone please explain to me what exciting the fan base has ANYTHING to do with who Joe C. hires? I don't remember any parades or just a ton of excitement for when Bob Stoops got hired. If he hired the Okarche basketball coach and he is a great coach, I don't give two ****s if Joe Public Fan isn't excited about such a boring hire.

the new hire doesn't need to excite the fans....he needs to excite recruits...
if he can't ...he damn sure better be able to coach..
if he can do that...everything will fall into place...

capel started out getting good players.....but then he couldn't coach them......then everything went to pot...

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2011, 03:51 PM
I disagree, Capel recruited really good players that everyone in the country wanted and they knew it and were pretty much total *******s who thought the world should have worshiped them. North Carolina struggled for a a year there because they made similar mistakes. At OU, the coach needs to bring in top 25 recruiting classes...not Top 5 because Top 5 is gone after one year. Capel's team was much better this year despite having a lot less talent. I will take a Cade Davis over a TMG or Not so Tiny Gallon any day. We just need a solid game day coach who knows how to interweave talents together.

87sooner
3/30/2011, 03:55 PM
I disagree, Capel recruited really good players that everyone in the country wanted and they knew it and were pretty much total *******s who thought the world should have worshiped them. North Carolina struggled for a a year there because they made similar mistakes. At OU, the coach needs to bring in top 25 recruiting classes...not Top 5 because Top 5 is gone after one year. Capel's team was much better this year despite having a lot less talent. I will take a Cade Davis over a TMG or Not so Tiny Gallon any day. We just need a solid game day coach who knows how to interweave talents together.

so you would have passed on blake griffin and cam clark?

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 03:58 PM
so you would have passed on blake griffin and cam clark?

Hell, Clark? Didnt he have academic issues or something?

badger
3/30/2011, 04:36 PM
But his initials are TB, not KM!

Tony Bennett's at Virginia now. He left Wazzu two years ago methinks.

I've followed that one's career closely, because his daddy used to be at my tiny Wisconsin high school before eventually landing at UW-Madison and taking em to the 2000 final four.

I wish I could have seen Bennett play just once at UW-Green Bay - he apparently had the highest 3-point shooting percentage in NCAA history - just under 50, like 49-point-something. I can't imagine... you know he must have had off-shooting nights, so every other night must have been all-on :eek:

Jason Alexander
3/30/2011, 04:48 PM
P.J. Carlesimo?

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2011, 05:06 PM
Tony Bennett's at Virginia now. He left Wazzu two years ago methinks.

I've followed that one's career closely, because his daddy used to be at my tiny Wisconsin high school before eventually landing at UW-Madison and taking em to the 2000 final four.

I wish I could have seen Bennett play just once at UW-Green Bay - he apparently had the highest 3-point shooting percentage in NCAA history - just under 50, like 49-point-something. I can't imagine... you know he must have had off-shooting nights, so every other night must have been all-on :eek:

My fault! So the initials are KB then.

badger
3/30/2011, 05:58 PM
My fault! So the initials are KB then.

Yes... because I assume Kelvin's middle name is Basketball. ;)

birddog
3/30/2011, 07:55 PM
bring in evans and let him build a good staff and see what he could do. the support for him over the first few years if he were would be overwhelming. comin around to this idea, mainly because i know terry but he's doin well currently and he's as guy we can groom into the job and allow a solid staff guide him through the mess that is ncaa bball.

kelloggOUballa
3/30/2011, 08:46 PM
Yes... because I assume Kelvin's middle name is Basketball. ;)

Haha. Gotta admit, I'm a little lost now. Wazzu's new coach is Ken Bone, but I think you are talking about Tony Bennett's dad.

Jason Alexander
3/30/2011, 10:35 PM
Capel could have been here for five more years and Evans would still be at UCO in case we wanted him.

87sooner
3/30/2011, 10:37 PM
Capel could have been here for five more years and Evans would still be at UCO in case we wanted him.

5 more years of capel and even evans wouldn't want this job.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 11:05 PM
5 more years of capel and even evans wouldn't want this job.

So why do you hate the guy?

87sooner
3/30/2011, 11:11 PM
So why do you hate the guy?

i don't hate the guy.
i hate what he did to our program.
2 worst seasons in my lifetime.....headed for a 3rd.
if that isn't enuf....i don't know what is.

OU_Sooners75
3/30/2011, 11:28 PM
i don't hate the guy.
i hate what he did to our program.
2 worst seasons in my lifetime.....headed for a 3rd.
if that isn't enuf....i don't know what is.

Well, he is gone...let it be now. He is no longer our coach.

SoonerMom2
3/30/2011, 11:59 PM
Are the Sooners targeting Illinois' Bruce Weber?

http://newsok.com/are-the-sooners-targeting-illinois-bruce-weber/article/3554114?custom_click=pod_headline_sports#

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:33 AM
@SoonerMom: See bruce weber thread I accidentally placed on the football forum.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152798

SoonerMom2
3/31/2011, 12:35 AM
@SoonerMom: See bruce weber thread I accidentally placed on the football forum.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152798

Thanks! I think it is funny the Chicago Tribune has picked up on this and sends you to the Norman Transcript for further details!

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks! I think it is funny the Chicago Tribune has picked up on this and sends you to the Norman Transcript for further details!

Hehe....

If Roan and Blevins are correct we may have our coach by Friday.

Not sure what to think about Weber!

zandozan
3/31/2011, 12:56 AM

http://newsok.com/are-the-sooners-targeting-illinois-bruce-weber/article/3554114?custom_click=pod_headline_sports#

Boy it sure looks like it. I'm reading all over that it's serious on both sides. Even Dean The Master of Misinformation said it's a done deal and presser on Friday.

Deano tweet : I was told ystrdy morn OU was hoping/planning 4 Fri press conf 2 name new coach. After striking out w/Buzz, appears 2 b BruceWeber, Illinois

Brian Birchell (who?...KSBI sportsguy apparently ) tweet : Source close to the OU program tells me tonight Bruce Weber will be named the next OU head coach as early as Friday...(he apparently deleted his tweet several hours after posting it)

Could be something to this, also could be all the smoke is someone burning cow chips on the fire...only Joe knows. Lets ask Deano!

Hi, I'm Dean 'The Dream' Blevins. You might remember me from such hits as 'Stoops To Florida' , or 'Dave Rose is the Man for OU' Today I put whats left of my tattered reputation on the line and definitively state that Bruce Weber will be the next men's basketball coach at OU. I 100% guarantee that this prediction has a 50% chance of being wrong and I have a 75% chance of looking like a complete hack.
http://www.chinalawblog.com/TroyMcClure.gif

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 12:59 AM
zan....take it to the misplaced Bruce Weber thread (on football forum). At least try to keep it on one thread. :)

zandozan
3/31/2011, 01:07 AM
zan....take it to the misplaced Bruce Weber thread (on football forum). At least try to keep it on one thread. :)

I saw this one first, it's in basketball forums...:confused:

OU_Sooners75
3/31/2011, 01:09 AM
I saw this one first, it's in basketball forums...:confused:

Unfortunately no...I made the post in the football forum and realized it right after I posted it...Asked for a mod to move it here...and they didnt.

But one good thing is, it should get more exposure over there. :O

zandozan
3/31/2011, 03:20 AM
Unfortunately no...I made the post in the football forum and realized it right after I posted it...Asked for a mod to move it here...and they didnt.

But one good thing is, it should get more exposure over there. :O

I meant this post we're in now? Forget it, Weber is probably just going the Buzz/Painter route and leveraging for more $$. I can't really blame them though, if I could get a 500k raise just by acting interested I would probably do it too.

I guess he would be a nice name and certainly has experience. I just can't seem to get all that excited about a guy who came very close to getting fired this year himself.

87sooner
3/31/2011, 07:52 AM

terribly disappointing if true.
gottlieb saying it is not true.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/31/2011, 08:51 AM
So, Its not Shaka Kahn, Brad Stevens, Memphis dude, Lon Kruger, Evans, or whoever...

Does anyone want the job?

badger
3/31/2011, 08:52 AM
Day 17 of fan captivity. We last had a head coach to complain about on March 14 and sources are growing limited! :(

Boomer.....
3/31/2011, 09:02 AM
So, Its not Shaka Kahn, Brad Stevens, Memphis dude, Lon Kruger, Evans, or whoever...

Does anyone want the job?

Terry Evans does.

BS-JE
3/31/2011, 09:04 AM
For the Bruce Webber lovers/haters..

Gottlieb just twatted there was no truth to the Bruce Webber to OU rumors.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/31/2011, 09:08 AM
Terry Evans does.

Seems like some fans here are discrediting him.

I don't know why, he seems like he has done well at UCO.

Boomer.....
3/31/2011, 09:15 AM
I think it's just because he has no experience at a higher level.