PDA

View Full Version : Not fully confirmed but sources say Capel fired

CaliBornSoonerBred
3/14/2011, 11:46 AM
I've heard through the usual rumor mill that Capel has indeed been fired this morning. Expect news to break pretty soon.

okie52
3/14/2011, 11:49 AM
The sports animal is saying he was just fired.

Boomer.....
3/14/2011, 11:49 AM
:pop:

badger
3/14/2011, 11:50 AM
Haven't seen anything yet. The fact that Joe C hasn't said anything it speaks volumes. He and others in the ath dept don't like keeping unsubstantiated rumors going longer than necessary.

But... if this doesn't ring true, PLEASE Joe C.

SAY SOMETHING! :(

I Am Right
3/14/2011, 11:51 AM
Woop, Woop

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 11:51 AM
Darn... I still had some faith in him. Just didn't want to give up I guess. Wonder who we'll go after now???

stoopified
3/14/2011, 11:55 AM
KREF just said Seth Davis of ESPN tweeted that Capel has been fired.

Viking Kitten
Daily Oklahoman confirms. (http://www.newsok.com/jeff-capel-fired-as-oklahoma-basketball-coach/article/3548674?custom_click=lead_story_title)

badger
OK, I think we can stand down. Looks like the trigger has been pulled :(

Sherri Coale was once thought to be a one-hit wonder as well, who was living off the success of one player (Stacey Dales) and the one successful season we had her final year at OU (2002 Final Four). But, even though it took forever to get back to that level (seven years!) we eventually did... and while we were waiting around, we went to the tourney EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. And won some conference championships (tourney and regular season) along the way, with and without the fabled Paris twins. Remember 2004 under Dionna Jackson? Sixth seed in the Big 12 tourney. Wore the crimson jerseys every game except the first round that we usually bye out of now. Beat every last ranked team in the Big 12 en route to the tourney title, including a thrashing of UT in the championship. It was glorious. It was almost better than going to the Final Four. It was Sherri.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be for Jeff. Let the speculation begin on who's next.

bigfatjerk
3/14/2011, 11:59 AM
Capel gave us 5 years of his life. I wish him well in whatever else he decides to do for the rest of his life. He gave it his best at OU, it just didn't work out.

badger
3/14/2011, 12:00 PM
Tulsa World confirms (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110314_92_0_NRAhus973976)

soonervegas
3/14/2011, 12:02 PM
Even though I totally agree with this decision......I do wish Coach Capel and his family well.

NormanPride
3/14/2011, 12:05 PM
T9uuPza41Uw

badger
3/14/2011, 12:06 PM
Hey - the number of people viewing the basketball forum finally exceeds that of the football forum... for the first time since about that Elite Eight season :mad:

This is sad for Capel and his family, that seemed to be setting their roots here in Norman, as well as the assistants whose jobs are also up in the air at this point, and the players who don't know what the future holds... if their schollys will be retained, who they'll play for if they are all retained...

I wish everyone effected by this development the best.

Scott D
3/14/2011, 12:07 PM
whatever will 87 do now that the trigger has been pulled?

MojoRisen
3/14/2011, 12:07 PM
Capel can thank Blake for his contract - he made some coin here. He lost control of the team - he has to take some blame for that - even though those guys were asshats from a year ago- he was the Captain of the ship.

He gets 2.1 Million buyout - he will be fine.

PhiDeltBeers
3/14/2011, 12:08 PM
Waiting...
Waiting...

n8v_ndn
3/14/2011, 12:10 PM
NewsOK SMS says Capel fired

badger
3/14/2011, 12:11 PM
whatever will 87 do now that the trigger has been pulled?

He can beat you all in the bracket challenge - info in my sig ;)

soonervegas
3/14/2011, 12:12 PM
So I take it Izzo is in.....

PhiDeltBeers
3/14/2011, 12:13 PM
I was thinking Sean Sutton.

NormanPride
Izzo?

SoonerGrant
I was wrong by 4 days. Good luck in your
Next venture coach. And as they say, dont let the door hit you on the way out.

The Maestro
3/14/2011, 12:14 PM
Capel can thank Blake for his contract - he made some coin here. He lost control of the team - he has to take some blame for that - even though those guys were asshats from a year ago- he was the Captain of the ship.

He gets 2.1 Million buyout - he will be fine.

Yeah, no pity here. I appreciate the effort and wish him well, but glad to see that mediocrity is not accepted by Joe C. and "hopes" of improvement from a team that some say overchieved from expectations of jack squat is not the standard.

This will be a good thing...those of the "support no matter what kind of product is put out there" will be happy as well. Football survived letting one of our own go in John Blake...we demand a better product at OU and our tradition and history dictate that.

Scott D
3/14/2011, 12:15 PM
Izzo?

yeah he's going to have his superstaff of Auremma and Marinucci ;)

PhiDeltBeers
3/14/2011, 12:15 PM
Don't call me a liberal, but I think a change is good.

Scott D
3/14/2011, 12:16 PM
maybe that Kalvin Simpson guy is available ;)

Sooner95
3/14/2011, 12:18 PM
Well, most of you got your wish..and so be it. Now what?? Is my question.

EatLeadCommie
3/14/2011, 12:23 PM
Capel is a class act and I had a lot of faith that he'd be a good one for us when he was hired. It just didn't turn out that way. I wish him the best, but yeah, it was time to part ways.

Aldebaran
3/14/2011, 12:26 PM
I thought this board was for talking about Blake Griffin.

...sooner
3/14/2011, 12:27 PM
Well, most of you got your wish..and so be it. Now what?? Is my question.

this. i just hope the players stay. you dont think joe woulda done this unless he really had someone good to come right?

3rdgensooner
3/14/2011, 12:28 PM
I hope Joe C. comes out swinging.

nighttrain12
3/14/2011, 12:28 PM
OSU at OU basketball game did not even come close to selling out. That is reason enough to fire Capel.

nighttrain12
3/14/2011, 12:29 PM
this. i just hope the players stay. you dont think joe woulda done this unless he really had someone good to come right?

You hope the players stay, the ones with a losing record this year and last year?

MamaMia
3/14/2011, 12:29 PM
Billy come back. :P

PhiDeltBeers
3/14/2011, 12:30 PM
Just curious....is this the first head coach Joe's fired?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2011, 12:32 PM
A friend from Auburn says SI is reporting he is gone...

badger
3/14/2011, 12:33 PM
You hope the players stay, the ones with a losing record this year and last year?

Yeah, I'd have to say that it will be up to the next coach to decide whether or not to renew the schollys, that we will not have players themselves bailing on the team.

Sooner95
3/14/2011, 12:34 PM

Well, that's what I am hoping. My motto, if your going to get rid of what your have, better have something better planned.

bigfatjerk
3/14/2011, 12:34 PM
Just curious....is this the first head coach Joe's fired?

No. The a couple minor sports have been fired. Mens golf and Tennis come to mind. Of course one of his first actions was firing John Blake.

badger
3/14/2011, 12:35 PM
A friend from Auburn says SI is reporting he is gone...

Hehe, you should then retort "I hear your team is leading in the Fulmer Cup by a few points" :D

Sooner95
3/14/2011, 12:37 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/03/14/oklahoma.capel/index.html?eref=sihp

soonerbub
3/14/2011, 12:37 PM
I'm gonna speculate that this has more to do w NCAA trouble than the record and if that's the case we could be down for a bit. If that's the case it wouldn't shock me to see Joe C hire Terry Evans--to get back to our "roots" not to mention save some coin.

Oh and if I'm right I'm gonna find Jeff and kick him in the nuts!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2011, 12:38 PM
...I appreciate the effort and wish him well, but glad to see that mediocrity is not accepted by Joe C. and "hopes" of improvement from a team that some say overchieved from expectations of jack squat is not the standard.

This is what surprises me. I didn't necessarily think he would be a Kelvin like Kelvin was in his heyday, but I thought he would recruit better. Then to hear he lost control of the team, that is shocking. When that happens, I can't expect the admin to look favorably on that.

Maybe we are finding out that Norman ain't the Hollywood and Bball is not as easy to recruit to the flyover region as football is...

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2011, 12:39 PM
Hehe, you should then retort "I hear your team is leading in the Fulmer Cup by a few points" :D

I already did...In fact told him they won it with so many points it will likely not be matched. He accused me of being the Toombers poisoner and that Barry is a cheater... :D

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2011, 12:41 PM
I'm gonna speculate that this has more to do w NCAA trouble than the record and if that's the case we could be down for a bit. If that's the case it wouldn't shock me to see Joe C hire Terry Evans--to get back to our "roots" not to mention save some coin.

Oh and if I'm right I'm gonna find Jeff and kick him in the nuts!!!

I liked Terry as a player at OU and it sounds like he is rippin' it at UCO. Though UCO ain't in the Big 12-2...

Sooner95
3/14/2011, 12:41 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3548674

Yea, this will set us back again, although not like we've been tearing it up lately. I think it'll be important for the next coach to A. be a great recruiter and B. establish an identity for this team. These past couple years, I wasn't sure exactly what we were.

badger
3/14/2011, 12:43 PM
I already did...In fact told him they won it with so many points it will likely not be matched. He accused me of being the Toombers poisoner and that Barry is a cheater... :D

Not to derail the thread, but:
http://i55.tinypic.com/s2t8rd.png
(someone posted that on the EDSBS comments section)

Back to Capel, seeing images like this:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01fzfv9f98dXH/x350.jpg
Reminds me how much he meant to his players here, so while the winning/losing results weren't what we always wanted, and we know Capel will not be hurting for money for awhile, its bad news for the players :(

Aldebaran
Don't forget to vote "yes." Support your athletic department.

TopDawg
Guess it's time for an avatar change.

thurman murman
3/14/2011, 12:50 PM
These past couple years, I wasn't sure exactly what we were.

we were a doormat.

badger
3/14/2011, 12:58 PM

me too... SHERRI COALE! :)

I Am Right
3/14/2011, 12:59 PM
confirmed

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2011, 01:00 PM
confirmed

What, you post padding??? ;)

Sooner95
3/14/2011, 01:01 PM
Yes, confirmed. ESPN is reporting it live..and yes I am post padding as well.:D

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 01:07 PM
Someone on KREF said it wasn't the Athletic Department that recommended this but higher ups who Capel didn't seem to mesh with.

TopDawg
3/14/2011, 01:11 PM
For over 5 years now, my avatar has been the current OU basketball coach. Terry Evans would be a neat return to our history, but how about bringing back Top Dawg not as our mascot, but as our coach?!

soonerbub
3/14/2011, 01:12 PM
Anyone else surprised that there's still no "official" statement from Joe C?

And for everyone wanting Billy Clyde forget it--there is NO WAY Boren will sign off on that one what with the skeletons and all

nativesooner
3/14/2011, 01:15 PM
OSU at OU basketball game did not even come close to selling out. That is reason enough to fire Capel.

Haha! That's because OSU sucked too. Usually OSU buys out our extras.

Sorry folks Terry Evans won't be the guy. He's happy where he's at. I think they was snubbed before for Jeff and if that's the case, it's understandable. We'll probably get some decent HS coach that everyone can whine about when he wins 10 - 15 games a year. That or Gillispie will come with promise of at least 1 kegger per week. :D

soonerbub
3/14/2011, 01:22 PM
Happy where he's at?? Sorry but if the Alma Mater comes calling he'll take it and he'll take at least a 400% raise.

Dio
3/14/2011, 01:26 PM
He's tanned, he's rested, he's ready.....

BRING BACK BILLY!

MelloYello
3/14/2011, 01:34 PM
He should have gotten one more year.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 01:35 PM
BOB KNIGHT!!! :D

stoopified
3/14/2011, 01:41 PM

BRING BACK BILLY!He is tired and retired To be fair if we hire a guy maed Billy,I'd take him over BCG.

soonerx7
3/14/2011, 01:54 PM
I've heard through the usual rumor mill that Capel has indeed been fired this morning. Expect news to break pretty soon.

ESPNNEWS @ noon says so. SOONER TIME.

owenfieldreams
3/14/2011, 01:54 PM
BCG

SteelClip49
3/14/2011, 01:59 PM
Capel deserved another year. This season was not his fault. The one senior was a total buffoon and really nothing. Capel got screwed and I do not agree with this decision.

kelloggOUballa
3/14/2011, 02:05 PM
For over 5 years now, my avatar has been the current OU basketball coach. Terry Evans would be a neat return to our history, but how about bringing back Top Dawg not as our mascot, but as our coach?!

Hah, I laughed out loud at this. Good stuff.

badger
3/14/2011, 02:07 PM
Capel deserved another year. This season was not his fault. The one senior was a total buffoon and really nothing. Capel got screwed and I do not agree with this decision.

They have a phrase for early departures in the cases of coaches like Georgia Tech's guy --- victims of their own success.

In Capel's case, he was not a victim and there was no success. Guys just up and left all at once in 2009 and Capel was given a chance LAST YEAR to make the situation right, to bring in replacement players and right the ship from a postseason absence. He didn't get it done, and based on his body language after the game...
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2011/Thumbs/20110314_jeffcapel0314_package.jpg
He knew what his expectations were for the program and that he didn't meet them. Yes, we surprised many for beating the likes of Baylor and Colorado and OSU et al... but that's not our standard. We needed a signature win this year to show that there's still a chance for greatness... and there wasn't.

The only reason I thought Capel would be gifted another year was because of the buyout and the inability to find a suitable replacement. Joe C. apparently found a way to get the money to oust Capel and perhaps he already has a replacement in mind and is just itching to announce it.

tfoolry
3/14/2011, 02:07 PM

BRING BACK BILLY!

http://www.theunticket.com/fake-billy-tubbs-steps-down/

SteelClip49
3/14/2011, 02:11 PM
it better not be Sean Sutton.

KNEE BRACE
3/14/2011, 02:19 PM
How fast can the Griffin parents pop out a couple more kids?

LiveLaughLove
3/14/2011, 02:19 PM
OU text just said Boren and Joe C. confirmed that he is gone. For whatever thats worth.

3rdgensooner
3/14/2011, 02:23 PM

OU Director of Athletics Joe Castiglione will hold a press conference at 4 p.m. CT from Norman. SoonerSports.com will have the free, live webcast for fans

Mad Dog Madsen
3/14/2011, 02:26 PM

He had 2 good years here and like it or not, it was because of Blake Griffin. Without BG, his record is 43-51 in the other 3 seasons. A change needed to happen.

oumartin
3/14/2011, 02:26 PM
I am sad for Jeff Capel. I really liked him and thought it was gonna be a good hire. I was wrong and it seems like this is for the best but it does kinda sting me. I was not sad to see Kelvin go but I am for Jeff. Personal reasons I guess.

I did tell you guys yesterday that Mondays are usually the day for this and whatcha know.

Billy Tubbs is retired and should stay that way.

soonerfan69
3/14/2011, 02:31 PM
Capel went 96-69 in five seasons as coach. But the three seasons without Griffin, where the Sooners went 43-51 and 15-33, did Capel in.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=2&articleid=20110314_92_0_NRAhus973976

soonerbub
3/14/2011, 02:32 PM
Boren's quote said it's "in the best interest of both"

we're gonna lose some schollies buckle up folks more bad weather on the horizon

MamaMia
3/14/2011, 02:35 PM

Are those puppets? :confused:

badger
3/14/2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031411aaa.html

News conference by Joe C at 4 p.m.

oumartin
3/14/2011, 02:38 PM
one post with the news conference info will be enough.

badger
3/14/2011, 02:45 PM
You know as well as I that if it isn't posted everywhere, it will be shortly. I just got the inevitable outta the way. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else posted the link again here :D

Perhaps someone will even start a new thread with just the press conference link? :D

OUthunder
3/14/2011, 02:48 PM
I don't care if you're a Sooner homer that likes to sniff the players jock straps or fetch the coaches dry cleaning or see the world thru rose colored glasses... it was obvious that his sorry *** needed to go.

Our basketball program is a national joke right now and fresh blood is what the doctor ordered for better or worse.

BTW, now that he's gone...he needs to be coaching JUCO cuz he sucked at the Division I level.

Also, I can now proudly watch Men's Sooner basketball once again.

Carry on.

Scott D
3/14/2011, 02:52 PM
I'm waiting for 87sooner to be named the new coach.

MelloYello
3/14/2011, 02:53 PM
Also, I can now proudly watch Men's Sooner basketball once again.

Great fan.

badger
3/14/2011, 02:55 PM
Our basketball program is a national joke right now and fresh blood is what the doctor ordered for better or worse.

Yeah... a local joke too. :(

Last year I think we were willing to endure a little bit more because the program that had just won the title and ended our season, UNC, was also rebuilding and publicly humiliated as much as we were.

UNC is once again back in the tourney as a 2-seed, in the ACC title game and if I'm not mistaken, won at least a share of the ACC regular season title.

Us? Two rebuilding years is one too many :(

MelloYello
3/14/2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah... a local joke too. :(

Last year I think we were willing to endure a little bit more because the program that had just won the title and ended our season, UNC, was also rebuilding and publicly humiliated as much as we were.

UNC is once again back in the tourney as a 2-seed, in the ACC title game and if I'm not mistaken, won at least a share of the ACC regular season title.

Us? Two rebuilding years is one too many :(

Not even close to a fair comparison.

badger
3/14/2011, 03:08 PM
Not even close to a fair comparison.

Why not? We both lost our top players (they lost Tyler, we lost Blake), we both had deep tourney runs they year before (I still think we would have had a very good shot at winning it all if we could have just gotten by UNC) and then, we both had mediocre seasons that nobody could have predicted and ended in both of us losing top recruits at the end of the season (you know our guys, for UNC, it was the Wear twins (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5219398)).

UNC was able to quickly bounce back from their crappy (by their standards, NIT is crappy) season, while we were not.

Eielson
3/14/2011, 03:18 PM
Why not? We both lost our top players (they lost Tyler, we lost Blake), we both had deep tourney runs they year before (I still think we would have had a very good shot at winning it all if we could have just gotten by UNC) and then, we both had mediocre seasons that nobody could have predicted and ended in both of us losing top recruits at the end of the season (you know our guys, for UNC, it was the Wear twins (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5219398)).

UNC was able to quickly bounce back from their crappy (by their standards, NIT is crappy) season, while we were not.

You're really reaching...

MelloYello
3/14/2011, 03:18 PM

UNC lost a heck of a lot more than we did, had an equally underwhelming following season, but still has a plethora of talent (frankly, losing scrubs like the Wear twins and Larry Drew made them better, if anything) in what was a weak ACC this year.

I don't think it's realistic to compare their bounce back with ours (or, our lack thereof).

GDC
3/14/2011, 03:19 PM
Capel gave us 5 years of his life. I wish him well in whatever else he decides to do for the rest of his life. He gave it his best at OU, it just didn't work out.

Gave us? As in he didn't collect millions in salary while proving to be incompetent?

badger
3/14/2011, 03:23 PM
=frankly, losing scrubs like the Wear twins and Larry Drew made them better, if anything

Yeah, I thought a few of the guys we lost turned out to be a little bit scrubby too :)

I'm not trying to argue with you... it was just a lot easier to call last season a "rebuilding year" when other programs were suffering too. i'm sure texas football fans would have been able to stomach their 5-7 season a lot more if another top program (read: us) also had a bad year.

Mixer!
3/14/2011, 03:25 PM
SF.com: providing tomorrow's "The Morning Animals" talking points today. :D

toast
3/14/2011, 03:28 PM
Wish Capel nothing but the best of luck in the future. For whatever reason it just didn't work out here. I agree with the poster who said the next coach needs to develop an identity with the program.

OUmillenium
3/14/2011, 03:36 PM
Quite surprised that Joe C. made this move but not that upset about it. I think the NCAA investigation is weighing heavily on this decision.

3rdgensooner
3/14/2011, 04:16 PM
Geebus is dean-o the only one at the press conference?

AlboSooner
3/14/2011, 04:18 PM
barry is there too, once

Bourbon St Sooner
3/14/2011, 04:35 PM
What I don't understand is, if you were going to fire him why didn't you fire him after last year? We knew what we had this year and the team pretty much met expectations. This year was made by all of the defections last year. At least if you would have hired a new guy last year, he would already be a year into building recruiting connections, working with the team, etc.

usaosooner
3/14/2011, 04:55 PM
^ you had to have one more year to show you gave him a chance. I'm happy

bigfatjerk
3/14/2011, 05:02 PM
What I don't understand is, if you were going to fire him why didn't you fire him after last year? We knew what we had this year and the team pretty much met expectations. This year was made by all of the defections last year. At least if you would have hired a new guy last year, he would already be a year into building recruiting connections, working with the team, etc.

Recruiting. Joe C gave him a shot at getting a good class for next year. That just didn't really come close to happening in the end.

OU_Sooners75
3/14/2011, 05:03 PM
Well, I defended him to the end.

With that said, I wish him and his family well in whatever they do. He did give 5 years of his life for OU. I commend him for that. I just wish he would have had his **** together from day one.

Oh well, like I said in the other thread, if they fired him, I will support whomever we bring in.

Lets hope we can bring in someone that can produce for us for a very long time!

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 05:06 PM
Quite surprised that Joe C. made this move but not that upset about it. I think the NCAA investigation is weighing heavily on this decision.

Think it is too after hearing the press conference -- we need a whole new start.

nativesooner
3/14/2011, 05:12 PM
I'm waiting for 87sooner to be named the new coach.

lol! True. What's he/she going to cry about now? Patty Gasso underacheiving since 2000?

Scott D
3/14/2011, 05:33 PM
Recruiting. Joe C gave him a shot at getting a good class for next year. That just didn't really come close to happening in the end.

the only thing worse than the schedule for basketball recruiting is the 1 and done bull****. well that and the absolute corruption of the AAU system.

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 05:38 PM
Well, I defended him to the end.

With that said, I wish him and his family well in whatever they do. He did give 5 years of his life for OU. I commend him for that. I just wish he would have had his **** together from day one.

Oh well, like I said in the other thread, if they fired him, I will support whomever we bring in.

Lets hope we can bring in someone that can produce for us for a very long time!

I was gone mid-season last year. He had plenty of opportunity to save it and stay Coach here.

I didn't want to see him go because I didn't like him personally...I think have he offerred us to watch on the floor was substandard talent and when he had a real talent....he exploited it but was unable to surround it with people who we could count on when the star had a bad night or imjured.

I just never saw a well balanced team. I wanted to...but for me...it was just never there.

GDC
3/14/2011, 06:17 PM
He did give 5 years of his life for OU.

You make it sound like he was doing community service by coaching little league at the Y.

He got paid $6 million or so while demonstrating his incompetence.

Blue
3/14/2011, 06:31 PM
Lookin forward to the naming of the new coach. I'm not sad at all to see him go.

OU_Sooners75
3/14/2011, 06:55 PM
You make it sound like he was doing community service by coaching little league at the Y.

He got paid $6 million or so while demonstrating his incompetence.

Yeah, that is they way I made it out to be.

I am thankful for any coach that comes through OU, as long as they try...and I think Capel tried...just didnt get it done!

If you want to hate the man, then go for it, I wont! I appreciate his time here...you dont have to if you choose not too!

OU_Sooners75
3/14/2011, 06:56 PM
Lookin forward to the naming of the new coach. I'm not sad at all to see him go.

I would be surprised if it isn't 87Sooner!

TopDawg
3/14/2011, 09:40 PM
I appreciate his time here...you dont have to if you choose not too!

The only thing GDC appreciates is frequent ad-clicking.