PDA

View Full Version : The Best That Never Was II

Soonerwake
3/14/2011, 08:12 AM
I spent the evening at the IFL Bricktown Brawlers game last night. Wow, let me say that it is basically one step above backyard football. Back to the topic...

Watched a couple of ex-Sooners play - Steven Coleman and the one and only Moe Dampeer. Coleman played well, and while a little heavier than his playing weight in Norman, looked pretty good. Big Moe was an entirely different story..

I am not one to take shots at a guy, but I felt so bad for Moe, watching him tapping his helmet to come out after 3 plays in a row, seeing him trying to run around and play at 420 lbs. (or more), thinking about what could have been. Then, I had a conversation with a teammate of his at OU (a very good teammate I might add) who told me some stories about Moe's stay in Norman, and about the team in general.

Basically, it can be summed up this way, poor Moe coulda/shoulda been an NFL player. He had all the skills. He had all the talent. The coaching staff knew how good he was and tried everything possible to get him there. When he played, he dominated. He couldn't be blocked, commanded double-teams his freshman year. He just didn't/doesn't have the self-discipline it takes to get himself there. It was really a sad story. I wanted to take a picture of him down on the field, but just didn't have the heart to post it.

Oh, and for all the Smitty haters out there - I was told that he is what makes that program so special. Guys come back every year to train with him.

auto
3/14/2011, 08:44 AM
I never understood ol Mo, he had the talent no doubt. Your comparison to Marcus is relevant, but Marcus had already arrived, most just showed brief glimpses.

OK2U
3/14/2011, 09:33 AM
Here's your boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC3G5yNLlyw

OK2U
3/14/2011, 09:35 AM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2008/02/01/on-the-trail-moe-dampeer-on-american-idol/

rekamrettuB
3/15/2011, 11:59 AM
Thought this was going to be about Brent Rawls.

Seriously tho, Mo could've/should've been great but obviously lacked the mental fortitude to stay in shape. He was the most out of shape player under Stoops/Schmidty to ever have the pleasure have stepping on the field. That right there says a bunch.

picasso
3/16/2011, 08:17 AM
He did a 360 when touching the banner one time coming onto the field with the team.
I laughed.:)

sooner518
3/16/2011, 08:18 AM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2008/02/01/on-the-trail-moe-dampeer-on-american-idol/

yea im guessing thats not our Moe....

PDXsooner
3/16/2011, 11:12 AM
It's because of guys like Dampeer that guys with lass talent but all heart get discovered. I'm glad it's this way. If everyone with natural talent worked hard, it would pretty much be pre-determined who would be great.

Dupree, Dampeer...these guys were never intended to be great. Heart and effort are way too often overlooked. Not having it is as bad as being 5' 8" 140...

Chiliman
3/16/2011, 01:39 PM
Ol' Moe was "getting after it" on the sideline during the sugar!

Salt City Sooner
3/16/2011, 03:29 PM
I still pop in that '04 KU game just to see his INT. Dude got run down by an OL. I'm sure he lived THAT down in the locker room.