PDA

View Full Version : Question for the PC technophiles

tcrb
3/13/2011, 11:00 AM
My wife's HP laptop has become hopelessly slow. The problem has become gradually worse over the past year and now it takes several minutes to load a web page or open a new program. I suspect she has some registry errors and probably one or more viruses. We've downloaded a couple of the free registry cleaners from Cnet.com with some very limited results. Norton and AVG scans dont find any viruses.

My question is, has anyone here had any experience with any of the online diagnostic services like MyCleanPC.com or DoubleMySpeed.com? Just wondering if they are worth the time, or should I just take it in to the Geek Squad or some other local PC repair shop?

Thanks in advance.

Breadburner
3/13/2011, 11:19 AM
DeFrag.....

Veritas
3/13/2011, 11:20 AM
Don't take it to Geek Squad under any circumstances.

If you're running Norton/McAfee, that's going to eat about half of your resources right there.

What OS you running?

tcrb
3/13/2011, 11:23 AM
OS is Windows XP. And we've defragged several times. She has always had Norton as the a-v program, but until about a year ago, no problems.

yermom
3/13/2011, 11:36 AM
Norton is worse than most viruses IMO

i'm impatient and usually if none of of the registry, malware, startup kinda stuff helps, i'll do a reinstall of Windows. the difference is usually huge for whatever reason

Partial Qualifier
3/13/2011, 11:41 AM
services like MyCleanPC.com or DoubleMySpeed.com

Stay away from that stuff. Seriously, it's a scam. At best they do things that you can do yourself manually.

Get the free version of malwarebytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org ) install it, let it run an update, and do a full scan. Choose to "fix" everything it finds.

Veritas
3/13/2011, 11:45 AM
Get the free version of malwarebytes ( http://www.malwarebytes.org ) install it, let it run an update, and do a full scan. Choose to "fix" everything it finds.

Good call.

Yermom is 100% right as well. If a virus is something that gobbles up RAM and CPU cycles, serves up irritating pop-ups, effs up your email, and generally hoses your computer, then Norton is just a really *really* bad virus that you paid for.

And yermom is also right that it's probably time to re-install the OS...or upgrade to Windows 7.

Partial Qualifier
3/13/2011, 11:48 AM

this is truth. Uninstall Norton. IMO, you're better off without any virus protection.

Viruses are bad things that will delete data and/or make your system unusable. But what's likely making your computer slow is malware, combined with unneeded crap running in the background.

Another thing I suggest is going to add/remove programs and uninstalling anything you dont use. Lots of that stuff has services which start up automatically (whether you use the programs or not) and over time, as stuff like that accumulates, your computer's running background services for 50-something apps you will never use. Get rid of them.

GDC
3/13/2011, 11:57 AM
We are having bandwidth issues here in NE Oklahoma, at least according to our provider. Too many people streaming Netflix and playing online video games.:mad:

yermom
3/13/2011, 11:57 AM
Stay away from that stuff. Seriously, it's a scam. At best they do things that you can do yourself manually.

sorry, i got too crossed up with Norton hate to mention the other scams as well :D

tcrb
3/13/2011, 12:00 PM
Good call.

Yermom is 100% right as well. If a virus is something that gobbles up RAM and CPU cycles, serves up irritating pop-ups, effs up your email, and generally hoses your computer, then Norton is just a really *really* bad virus that you paid for.

And yermom is also right that it's probably time to re-install the OS...or upgrade to Windows 7.

i'm impatient and usually if none of of the registry, malware, startup kinda stuff helps, i'll do a reinstall of Windows. the difference is usually huge for whatever reason

So what would you recommend in place of Norton...AVG?

Also, to reinstall the OS, should I re-format the hd beforehand?

yermom
3/13/2011, 12:10 PM
you can do that during setup, but you need to back up anything important beforehand. if you don't have another computer or aren't that comfortable with the process it could be a headache though. it's hard to know to suggest this without knowing your particular situation.

i use AVG and have had very few problems with it. i just about never use IE and at least moderately secure my browsers as well though.

MsProudSooner2
3/13/2011, 12:11 PM
We are having bandwidth issues here in NE Oklahoma, at least according to our provider. Too many people streaming Netflix and playing online video games.:mad:

Who is your provider? I've noticed that response times on my personal laptop and my work laptop have been slower in the past couple of weeks.

yermom
3/13/2011, 12:17 PM
the Netflix/cable fight ought to be interesting in the near future

tcrb
3/13/2011, 12:54 PM
you can do that during setup, but you need to back up anything important beforehand. if you don't have another computer or aren't that comfortable with the process it could be a headache though. it's hard to know to suggest this without knowing your particular situation.

i use AVG and have had very few problems with it. i just about never use IE and at least moderately secure my browsers as well though.

OK. Thanks alot. I think I can handle the OS re-install (if I can find the dayum cd's), and I'll go with AVG from now on.

Appreciate the advice....thanks again.

Whet
3/13/2011, 01:23 PM
how about deleting the Prefetch directory, removing unneeded icons from the desktop, remove unneeded programs from the startup directory, and run malewarebytes.

HBick
3/13/2011, 02:06 PM
Wipe the HD and reinstall XP and only install necessary programs. If you don't have an iPod or iPhone for example skip iTunes since it's a huge resource hog even on a Mac. Don't use IE7, or 8 if that's what they have now, look for firefox.

Or just be awesome and put Ubuntu on there and you can browse the internet, do email and that thing will fly like it was brand new

EnragedOUfan
3/13/2011, 04:22 PM

I have to respectfully disagree. Reinstalling windows I agree with, but Norton and McAfee to me are the 2 best virus programs out there. I'm suspectible to McAfee because the Army allowed us to download it for free from our AKO accounts which was cool. I like Norton because its extremely user friendly.

EnragedOUfan
3/13/2011, 04:29 PM
Don't use AVG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use Norton or McAfee. My experiences with free AVG/free virus protection have not been good. Just my opinion. Also, disable automatic updates for her laptop. Of course, after your reinstall you'll want to connect to the net and get all of the updates that you can from Windows, such as XP Service Pack 3, security updates, etc..........But after that, disable automatic updates and only update your system when you feel necessary. Otherwise, your PC will want to update 24/7. My desktop is Windows 7 64 Bit, but I also have a Netbook with XP. My Netbook w/XP constantly wants to update, which in turn slows down my system dramatically, especially since its a Netbook with a 1.8 Ghz processor and very little Ram (standard for Netbooks). Again, just my opinion........

yermom
3/13/2011, 05:04 PM
disable updates and install Norton?

and you wonder why your netbook preforms badly? :D

i was using a computer with Symantec Endpoint Protection the other day and the only way to make Chrome work was to edit the registry. i mean, really.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=38

what problems do you have with AVG?

GDC
3/13/2011, 05:50 PM
Who is your provider? I've noticed that response times on my personal laptop and my work laptop have been slower in the past couple of weeks.

Tahlequah Cable

tcrb
3/13/2011, 06:15 PM
With regard to AVG....is the free version sufficient, or should I buy the full version, around $60 or so?

EnragedOUfan
3/13/2011, 06:37 PM
Good call.

True. Malwarebytes is the best. I've had some nasty malware on one of my older laptops with XP on it. For me, the ultimate end result was having to reinstall Windows XP. I didn't have a system restore disk for it.

btk108
3/13/2011, 06:41 PM
save the data you want to keep to a hard drive....wipe the drive and reinstall.

EnragedOUfan
3/13/2011, 06:44 PM
disable updates and install Norton?

and you wonder why your netbook preforms badly? :D

i was using a computer with Symantec Endpoint Protection the other day and the only way to make Chrome work was to edit the registry. i mean, really.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=38

I guess I should have said to "stay away from the free version" from download.com. I don't know about the full/paid for version. For disabling updates, I'm talking about all of the constant Windows/security updates that the PC is wanting to install. When I use my netbook, its because I was either TDY, at an airport, or laying in bed in the dark next to my wife. When I got on my netbook, I simply wanted to surf the net. Not spend 5-20 minutes waiting for an "important windows/security update". And then sometimes, I would go ahead an manually update the virus protection or enable turn on "Automatic Updates" and let the netbook install what it needed to. I just didn't want my netbook constantly installing updates every single day because it slowed down my system and internet speed dramatically, which created inconvenience.

CrimsonKel
3/13/2011, 09:55 PM
AVG has been known to leak kernel memory and can cause system instability due to that unfortunate tendency. Use Microsoft's Security Essentials instead: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/.

bluedogok
3/14/2011, 02:39 PM
I gave up on Norton about 5 years ago when I had to call every month to get them to clear the activation that I had bought from them online. I uninstalled it with 8 months left and went to AVG Internet Security.

save the data you want to keep to a hard drive....wipe the drive and reinstall.
When I have had to do this I just buy a new, larger hard drive and install everything clean on that then put the old hard drive in a USB enclosure and copy off the files that I need. I keep that drive intact for awhile until I figure out if I forgot to copy something off. As cheap as hard drives are anymore it gives you a bit of an upgrade.

yermom
3/14/2011, 02:45 PM
AVG has been known to leak kernel memory and can cause system instability due to that unfortunate tendency. Use Microsoft's Security Essentials instead: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/.

i still haven't tried this yet, but i have heard good things. i'm still using the free version of AVG, just upgrade when ever the new version comes out

i've never had problems with AVG memory leaks, Firefox or Flash used to do it all the time.

now using Chrome, i basically only reboot from updates

soonerboomer93
3/14/2011, 02:50 PM
So what would you recommend in place of Norton...AVG?

Also, to reinstall the OS, should I re-format the hd beforehand?

I would just go with the microsoft security essentials. From what I can tell it's pretty light on the resources and at least as good as the free version of AVG last I heard.

Do not disable automatic updates. Just don't have them install automatically, have it advise you when updates area ready to install.

If you're going to buy AV, Kaspersky is one of the best paid versions imho.

Breadburner
3/18/2011, 08:38 AM
I have got something horrid on my other lap top it wont even let me open explorer or any websites...Help....

KuppiKunta
3/18/2011, 09:05 AM

I'm having major issues with AVG (9.0) right now. I have the free version and it won't let me even turn it on. I tried to uninstall it, and it won't uninstall. I even downloaded AVG Remover Tool and it won't take it off. I tried to add the Cox virus protection that's offered thru my ISP, but when I try to install it, it says to first remove AVG. So now, I have no protection whatsoever!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/18/2011, 09:21 AM

Partial Qualifier
3/18/2011, 09:21 AM
I have got something horrid on my other lap top it wont even let me open explorer or any websites...Help....

malwarebytes in safe mode

Breadburner
3/18/2011, 10:14 AM
How do I get to safe mode....????....Ty

Breadburner
3/18/2011, 10:41 AM
Figured that out but...This **** comes up in safe mode too.....

RedStripe
3/18/2011, 11:42 AM
Google and download combofix and a program called rkill. run rkill first should kill all malware running on the machine then run combofix. load it on a usb stick. if it wont run in regular mode run in safe mode.

Combofix is free so is rkill. I cant think of a time it has not worked

Breadburner
3/18/2011, 11:45 AM
Wont let me on any websites...

sooner_born_1960
3/18/2011, 11:49 AM
Download it from whichever computer you're posting from. Save it to a usb drive.

yermom
3/18/2011, 11:49 AM
I'm having major issues with AVG (9.0) right now. I have the free version and it won't let me even turn it on. I tried to uninstall it, and it won't uninstall. I even downloaded AVG Remover Tool and it won't take it off. I tried to add the Cox virus protection that's offered thru my ISP, but when I try to install it, it says to first remove AVG. So now, I have no protection whatsoever!!!!

i don't think they support 9.0 anymore, do they? i'm using 10.0

but i'd have to guess that there might be something else going on

KuppiKunta
3/18/2011, 12:52 PM
i don't think they support 9.0 anymore, do they? i'm using 10.0

but i'd have to guess that there might be something else going on

But it still won't let me upgrade or anything because of the 9.0 on the system. I'm baffled and can't figure it out to save my life! If I try to download the new version, it downloads fine, but won't let me install it. When I try to run the .exe file, I get the blue screen of death!

yermom
3/18/2011, 12:56 PM
it sounds like you might already have something messing up the works. have you tried running malwarebytes or anything else?

Breadburner
3/18/2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the help...Everyone...

KuppiKunta
3/18/2011, 02:55 PM
it sounds like you might already have something messing up the works. have you tried running malwarebytes or anything else?

If that was addressed to me....I can't download anything and run it. As soon as I try to run the .exe file, I get the blue screen and the only way to get the puter back on is to go into safe mode and do a system restore to the time prior to the download.

yermom
3/18/2011, 04:36 PM
yeah, i didn't realize that was the end of the page or i would have quoted you

that doesn't sound like an AVG problem. that sounds like something has crippled AVG and any other installer

there was another thread where RacerX talked about putting rkill.com and malwarebytes on a flash drive and booting to safe mode

that's probably where i'd go at this point

RacerX
3/18/2011, 08:53 PM
dude with the slow hp laptop

advanced system care (http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html)

Dude with messed up avg....have you tried a previous restore point?

KuppiKunta
3/18/2011, 10:51 PM

I've restored back to furthest point available. Ran the malware thing too and it showed nothing infected.

Breadburner
3/18/2011, 11:22 PM
I tried restore as well and **** showed back up.....

Breadburner
3/19/2011, 11:07 PM
Download it from whichever computer you're posting from. Save it to a usb drive.

This finally worked.....Thank you....AVG free did the trick.....

Leroy Lizard
3/20/2011, 12:45 AM
Surprised no one mention BitDetector, the worst antivirus program ever made.

So what virus was giving you the problem?

GKeeper316
3/20/2011, 01:50 AM
Don't use AVG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use Norton or McAfee. My experiences with free AVG/free virus protection have not been good. Just my opinion.

norton and mcafee are both notoriously bad. avg free is decent. malwarbytes is awesome. also try spybot (it still catches some stuff my other antivirus misses) and most importantly get a registry cleaner.

Breadburner
3/20/2011, 02:07 AM
Im not really sure.....Some sort of registry key BS.....

RacerX
3/20/2011, 07:39 AM
can you describe your issue in more detail?

pphilfran
3/20/2011, 08:52 AM
dude with the slow hp laptop

advanced system care (http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html)

Thanks!

The Advance System Care found 50.000 various glitches, gremlins. and screw ups...

I will test drive for a while and see if I can notice a speed difference...

tcrb
3/20/2011, 10:35 AM
Just want to add a note of thanks to all those that have contributed suggestions thus far in this thread.

Apparently she did not get a restore disc when she bought the machine, so I wasn't able to do an OS reinstall.

The Malwarebytes found only 4 issues with the wife's pc. But then we tried rkill and it found a few thousand registry issues that it fixed. That made a huge difference and it's running alot faster now. Downloaded the ASC program this morning and it found and fixed a few more registry errors. Still have the Norton as the av, but the subscription expires in about 6 months and will replace with AVG at that time.

Really appreciate all the help everyone!