PDA

View Full Version : Trey Metoyer update?

Always_Sooner
3/12/2011, 07:49 PM
Anyone hear the latest on if he will get qualified right away, and be on Campus before the start of fall practice?

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/12/2011, 08:58 PM
He is taking or retaking his ACT soon. He has a date that he is supposed to be here but I have no idea what it is.

It looks good for him to be here and start competing right away

Soonerfan88
3/12/2011, 10:49 PM
No one is going to know anything for sure until the semester is over and he has final grades. IF he releases his ACT scores to the public it is still speculation without his GPA. We'll either know in June or August, depending on the necessity of summer school.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/13/2011, 02:58 AM
His GPA is supposedly good enough

JLEW1818
3/13/2011, 11:01 AM
sounds like a Redshirt to me

texaspokieokie
3/13/2011, 11:07 AM
if he's as good as some have predicted, (super), wouldn't waste a year for "red-shirt".

Chiliman
3/13/2011, 11:25 AM
Let me preface my comments by stating I am a huge fan. All three of my children have their degrees from OU. I've been a season ticket holder for a number of years and I know several players and some of their families. I would expect that I'm older than most of the posters on this sight. I don't understand the difficulty in getting a 17 on the ACT. My wife is a high school guidance counselor. Some facts about taking the ACT: 1) you can answer all the questions with either all A's, B's, C's or D's and make a 13; 2) if you have any sort of learning disability or are on an IEP, you take the test or parts of the test untimed, alone and as many times as you can between your freshman and senior year; 3) most guidance counselors will essentially tutor a kid on taking the test, especially if the kid shows the willingness to put the time in to pass the test.

I want this kid to qualify as much as anybody but I suspect, if he doesn't get an adequate score, he has nobody to blame but himself.

KantoSooner
3/13/2011, 12:35 PM
Chiliman, I essentially agree with you, but have an expanded perspective based on family events.
I hammered the SAT back in the late 1970's. I mean right the wall. 800 Verbal 730 Math type whipping. Never saw a standardized test that didn't make sense and was FUN.
My daughter's brain doesn't work the same way. She can look at a painting and tell me things I never would have thought of. And she thinks of things and in ways that would never occur to me in a million years.
And she is a miserable test taker. Look at her scores and you'd think she has learning disabilities. And yet she can sit at the dinner table and hold her own in conversations about world affairs, local scandals and like, books, movies and the best way to fix our garden's irrigation system. She's not dumb. She just takes tests badly.
We can argue the predictive nature of the ACT or SAT relative to college performance; but that some kids just don't take tests well is a fact.

Muno
3/13/2011, 12:51 PM
Let me preface my comments by stating I am a huge fan. All three of my children have their degrees from OU. I've been a season ticket holder for a number of years and I know several players and some of their families. I would expect that I'm older than most of the posters on this sight. I don't understand the difficulty in getting a 17 on the ACT. My wife is a high school guidance counselor. Some facts about taking the ACT: 1) you can answer all the questions with either all A's, B's, C's or D's and make a 13; 2) if you have any sort of learning disability or are on an IEP, you take the test or parts of the test untimed, alone and as many times as you can between your freshman and senior year; 3) most guidance counselors will essentially tutor a kid on taking the test, especially if the kid shows the willingness to put the time in to pass the test.

I want this kid to qualify as much as anybody but I suspect, if he doesn't get an adequate score, he has nobody to blame but himself.

He may need more than an a 17 on his ACT. Minimum entrance standards for athletes are based on a sliding scale so the higher your GPA the lower minimum that is required for your ACT. The reality is if his GPA is on the lower side of the acceptable range he will need more than a 17 on the ACT to get in.

JLEW1818
3/13/2011, 01:24 PM
Fire Venables

Al Gore
3/13/2011, 01:38 PM
I blame Schmitty...

HBick
3/13/2011, 02:14 PM
I don't know why his parents don't drive his *** up to Norman to take the residual that OU offers.

Also, OU accepts the highest score in a category that is not tied to the most recent test. The highest ACT score I ever had was a 29, but when I came into OU, I had a 31 by their standards because I took that thing like 5 times and did better on certain portions of different tests.

Breadburner
3/13/2011, 03:56 PM
Guess C......

oudavid1
3/13/2011, 04:20 PM
Chiliman, I essentially agree with you, but have an expanded perspective based on family events.
I hammered the SAT back in the late 1970's. I mean right the wall. 800 Verbal 730 Math type whipping. Never saw a standardized test that didn't make sense and was FUN.
My daughter's brain doesn't work the same way. She can look at a painting and tell me things I never would have thought of. And she thinks of things and in ways that would never occur to me in a million years.
And she is a miserable test taker. Look at her scores and you'd think she has learning disabilities. And yet she can sit at the dinner table and hold her own in conversations about world affairs, local scandals and like, books, movies and the best way to fix our garden's irrigation system. She's not dumb. She just takes tests badly.
We can argue the predictive nature of the ACT or SAT relative to college performance; but that some kids just don't take tests well is a fact.

reminded me of this

"people in school are like, 'I'm a bad test taker.' You mean you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know?"

-Daniel Tosh.

Collier11
3/13/2011, 04:23 PM
While that is pretty funny David, I strongly disagree...I was an honor roll student in HS and I have a college degree from OU and I struggled with tests

StoopTroup
3/13/2011, 04:26 PM
Well taking advice and life quotes from Daniel Tosh?

Stuff like that starts to make lizards smart

BoulderSooner79
3/13/2011, 04:48 PM
I saw that Tosh stand-up routine and it was funny - and completely tongue in cheek.

I aced every test I ever took in HS, college and graduate school. I did have to work a bit in english, but math, physics, chemistry and anything technical was second nature. And I envy people that can do anything creative and I drop into the fetal position if I have to any serious writing. We all want what we don't have.

sooner59
3/13/2011, 04:49 PM
"Why does it cost so much to live near the coast? Because we got **** to look at, Tulsa!"

-Daniel Tosh

I have to admit, he disgusting sense of humor is pretty funny.

StatGeek
3/13/2011, 08:20 PM
Never understood the "bad test taker" argument. I mean if I administered a ten question with the following questions would they find a way to fail it?

1. What is your name?
2. What city do you live in?
3. What does the "S" in USA stand for?
4. What channel is American Idol on?
5. What does lol mean?
6. What time does Jersey Shore come on?
7. How many letters are in the word "test"?
8. 2X2=4 true or false
9. How many fingers are are typically found on a human hand?
10. What shape is a stop sign?

If you can pass this test you can pass any test, as long as you know the information.

jersey sooner
3/13/2011, 08:34 PM
Never understood the "bad test taker" argument. I mean if I administered a ten question with the following questions would they find a way to fail it?

1. What is your name?
5. What does lol mean?
8. 2X2=4 true or false

If you can pass this test you can pass any test, as long as you know the information.

You sound extremely ignorant.

sooner59
3/13/2011, 08:34 PM
I'm not a bad test taker, but I am weaker at standardized tests. I can do just fine in class and do well on in-class tests, midterms, final exam, etc. I do ok at standardized tests, but not as well as I normally do on regular tests. I think its mostly because in some standardized tests, its more thinking on your feet....getting little context, answering a question, then moving on to a completely different realm of academia in a rapid fire motion. It doesn't matter if you are really good at one thing. You have to be good at everything or it looks like you're dumb. Now the ACT wasn't that bad. I did well, but some others who openly admitted they weren't as smart as me beat me by a point or two. My fiance is good at all book work, tests, etc. In the classroom she is smarter, but I have about 10 times more common sense and general knowledge about subjects that aren't stressed in a certain college course. The MCAT, I will say, is quite a bit harder than the ACT. I have taken it a few times. It just fries your brain. Much of it is just reading comprehension, writing skills, and being able to work with what is given to you. Very little of it is strictly retained knowledge than can be regurgitated. I am not huge on standardized tests, because I believe there are very intelligent people who work better when tested in different ways.

ouwasp
3/13/2011, 08:46 PM

1. What is your name?
5. What does lol mean?
8. 2X2=4 true or false

I don't know, and will likely never know, #6. Just learned it was a tv show this past week. Seriously. My son was complaining about a character <shrug>
Not sure about #4... is it on Fox?
As you can tell, I don't care much for the crap that's on network TV.

Tests are no big deal for me.... as long as there are none of those mysterious things sometimes grouped with numbers..."symbols" seems like too elementary of a label for them...hmmm... I still somehow scored a 25 on the ACT the one time I took it way back in '80. Hope Metoyer can pull his score up high enough...

Leroy Lizard
3/13/2011, 09:06 PM
Bad test takers often have trouble parsing the question, especially in mathematics word problems. For example,

A hydroelectric turbine rotates at 6.448 rev/minute. How long will it take to rotate 45.8 times?

I have seen students stare at such a problem and not even know what operation to perform. Is it division? Is it multiplication?

I tell them, suppose you had a wheel that rotated 5 times every minute. How long would it take to rotate 10 times? These same students will immediately say "two minutes." I then ask them, "How did you come up with that?" They respond, "I just divided the number of rotations by the rate." Once they see that, they then proceed on the actual problem successfully.

They knew the math. The language and the difficulty of the decimals made the problem murky to them. So yes, there are bad test takers who know the content. The real art in teaching is designing tests that can uncover what they truly know.

goingoneight
3/13/2011, 09:33 PM
If the "bad test-takers" would stop having their coach, boosters or fans arrange an A+ or would actually do their own work that their slutty cheerleader girlfriend's doing for them, there would be a LOT less of this "I'm a bad test-taker" excuses if any at all.

oudavid1
3/14/2011, 03:45 AM
I preform when the time comes.

StatGeek
3/14/2011, 07:50 AM
Bad test takers often have trouble parsing the question, especially in mathematics word problems. For example,

A hydroelectric turbine rotates at 6.448 rev/minute. How long will it take to rotate 45.8 times?

I have seen students stare at such a problem and not even know what operation to perform. Is it division? Is it multiplication?

I tell them, suppose you had a wheel that rotated 5 times every minute. How long would it take to rotate 10 times? These same students will immediately say "two minutes." I then ask them, "How did you come up with that?" They respond, "I just divided the number of rotations by the rate." Once they see that, they then proceed on the actual problem successfully.

They knew the math. The language and the difficulty of the decimals made the problem murky to them. So yes, there are bad test takers who know the
content. The real art in teaching is designing tests that can uncover what they truly know.

The real art of teaching is designing tests that uncover what students know. Is this a joke?

The actual goal of an educator should be to develop the student's ability to think. Unfortunately, most simply focus on regurgitation of text books.

Bad test taker theory is rubbish, it doesn't make any sense. What is it about a test that causes an individual to answer a question they know the answer to incorrectly? Nothing, they either don't know the material or they lack the comprehension skills necessary to answer the question. In my experience tutoring people, students who struggle lack the capacity to understand the scope of the concept they are being tested on. Because of this they try to learn everything and end up feeling overwhelmed and learn nothing.

SGA
3/14/2011, 11:40 AM
I saw that Tosh stand-up routine and it was funny - and completely tongue in cheek.

I aced every test I ever took in HS, college and graduate school. I did have to work a bit in english, but math, physics, chemistry and anything technical was second nature. And I envy people that can do anything creative and I drop into the fetal position if I have to any serious writing. We all want what we don't have.

I am the exact opposite. I never even proofread emails in the business world and consistently get responses like, "What a perfectly written email."

I suck terribly at Math. Difference is, I don't really wish to be better at math.

oudavid1
3/14/2011, 02:39 PM
I dont believe in bad test takers. But im also not one. I cant speak for everyone. Thats just my opinion. Your not better or worse for it in my eyes.

icmwhOU72
3/14/2011, 04:08 PM
He he is due on campus june 11.

BoulderSooner79
3/14/2011, 05:32 PM
I am the exact opposite. I never even proofread emails in the business world and consistently get responses like, "What a perfectly written email."

I suck terribly at Math. Difference is, I don't really wish to be better at math.

LOL - but I suspect there is something you're not good at you would like to be. I don't think much about wanting to be a better writer because I migrated to a job where it wasn't needed exactly because of my shortcoming. Now I write computer programs for a paycheck whereas if I had written the Harry Potter series, I'd be a billionaire.

Collier11
3/14/2011, 08:47 PM
The real art of teaching is designing tests that uncover what students know. Is this a joke?

The actual goal of an educator should be to develop the student's ability to think. Unfortunately, most simply focus on regurgitation of text books.

Bad test taker theory is rubbish, it doesn't make any sense. What is it about a test that causes an individual to answer a question they know the answer to incorrectly? Nothing, they either don't know the material or they lack the comprehension skills necessary to answer the question. In my experience tutoring people, students who struggle lack the capacity to understand the scope of the concept they are being tested on. Because of this they try to learn everything and end up feeling overwhelmed and learn nothing.

Myself being someone who had issues with testing at times, I found myself unsure as to how I needed to study for the tests. Now, this may have been due to a lack of understanding on my part or a failure to properly prepare on my teachers part, either way, I struggled with certain tests

swardboy
3/14/2011, 10:29 PM

When do you postform?

BoulderSooner79
3/15/2011, 12:28 AM

When do you postform?

After the time expires? (Too little, too late)

Leroy Lizard
3/15/2011, 01:03 AM

I sort of implied that teaching is all about testing, which is obviously wrong. But that notwithstanding, my original point stands: the whole point of assessing students is to find out what they know (that is, what they have learned). So you design tests specifically for that purpose, which means filtering out other influences that mask their abilities.

And few instructors would disagree. But unfortunately few instructors know how to do this, or even care to try.

No argument there. The teaching of how to think requires advanced instructional skills, which few teachers possess. (And yes, I know how to do it.)

Bad test taker theory is rubbish, it doesn't make any sense. What is it about a test that causes an individual to answer a question they know the answer to incorrectly?

English language skills, reading comprehension, nervousness, poor word choice... you name it.

Nothing, they either don't know the material or they lack the comprehension skills necessary to answer the question. In my experience tutoring people...

That doesn't make you an instructor. I threw the ball out in the backyard a little when I was younger, that doesn't make me an expert on quarterbacking.

... students who struggle lack the capacity to understand the scope of the concept they are being tested on. Because of this they try to learn everything and end up feeling overwhelmed and learn nothing.

That can be ONE reason, sure. There can be many reasons for a student to do poorly on a test.

I will say this, though: Those who score at the bottom of the barrel (say, a 15 on the Wonderlic) are probably unlikely to graduate. There are bad test takers out there, but there are also morons.

The notion of "bad test takers" is not rubbish, but like dyslexia it tends to be an excuse used by far more than it should.