PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear meltdown in Japan...

Soonerus
3/12/2011, 01:19 AM
Is there any harsh irony here...simple historical question, I have no agenda...

sooner59
3/12/2011, 01:20 AM
No iron, just uranium.

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 01:21 AM
You mean where they still were giving us static about Hiroshima and Nagasaki a few years ago or that we had to bomb them at all?

Soonerus
3/12/2011, 01:40 AM
Duh...

jumperstop
3/12/2011, 01:53 AM
You mean where they still were giving us static about Hiroshima and Nagasaki a few years ago or that we had to bomb them at all?

The a-bomb sucked, but they started that fight.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2011, 01:57 AM
Man, a day later in my return to the U.S. and I would have been stuck in Narita.

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2011, 05:51 AM
We should have dropped a third just to make sure they got the point.

....oh hell make it 4. Might as well be an even number.

Sooner5030
3/12/2011, 06:52 AM
we just need to wait til after 2012 to build these things. They are obviously not Mayan compatible.

/going to hell

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 08:23 AM

Says the guy who is still fighting the Civil War. :D ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2011, 12:13 PM
Sad, I wouldn't trust what he Japan gov't is saying just now, saving face and all. Hope the radiation leak isn't bad and hope the thing hasn't started a melt-down.

MAybe Charlie Sheen has an answer...

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 12:18 PM
That saving face deal really gets them in a pickle.....you think they would learn from all the movies we've done about it.

Jacie
3/12/2011, 12:23 PM
Let's see, they are saying now that in order to cool down the core, they are going to inject seawater. According to this nuclear physicist CNN hauled in to comment on it, no nuclear facility in the world has an emergency plan to inject seawater to cool down a reactor i.e. this is a last ditch measure because they got nothing left to try. Also note, the evacuation ring was expanded to twelve miles. Might as well have made it a hundred and twelve if this is as bad as they are not saying . . .

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 12:24 PM
It's good that they didn't ask us to send Coolant immediately

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2011, 12:35 PM

so what's the story on that? clinton talking out her ***, or did the AF gear up only not to be asked?

hawaii 5-0
3/12/2011, 12:42 PM

Four is bad luck to Japanese.

5-0

OUthunder
3/12/2011, 12:46 PM

They should try to reach the Enterprise and Captain Picard on a secured channel and ask for help. Gordi would have this type of stuff covered.

jumperstop
3/12/2011, 12:46 PM

Two was enough, we barely had the resources for that those and were kinda unsure if they would work perfectly. Good thing they thought the two meant we had more. I don't think they would have surrendered so easily if they knew we were done.

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 12:50 PM
so what's the story on that? clinton talking out her ***, or did the AF gear up only not to be asked?

There was a Hillary hater on here...no names....and he was unhappy with Hillary's response of the Air Force sending assets and another report said that the Military had no information on being asked to send coolant. That said another Spokesperson said Mrs. Clinton simply wasn't informed, in an effort to try and at least answer the reporters. Then it was all about what an idiot she was and blah blah blah. Later Japan said that indeed the Air Force had been asked to fly in powerplant generators in order to help keep the coolant flowing. Hours later we now hear they needed coolant and it seems a bit little to late.

I know many folks don't care for Hillary or any of her views but I think in this case....she was indeed a lot more involved than anyone ever gives her credit for and she tries to solve problems first and satisfy reporters later. IMO....that's how Condi Rice did it too and every other Sec of State previously to her.

I found it funny that people can be so blind that they can't see even a person like Hillary is eventually either going to disappear or rise to the occassion during a crisis. In this case....I have no idea whether or not she did everything or anything right......but it seems she tried to help Japan and they failed to treat that Nuclear Plant Plant with a Worst Case Scenario plan.

Anyone using the news these Days to make judgements on peoples character probably ought to stiffle their opinion for a bit and in case of a crisis....give the ones in charge....no matter who they are....a chance to do the right thing. It's why they got elected whether we like it or not.

Penguin
3/12/2011, 01:21 PM
Let's see, they are saying now that in order to cool down the core, they are going to inject seawater. According to this nuclear physicist CNN hauled in to comment on it, no nuclear facility in the world has an emergency plan to inject seawater to cool down a reactor i.e. this is a last ditch measure because they got nothing left to try.

Isn't that how Aquaman got his powers? I think he was swimming in the ocean one day and he accidentally got scooped up by a helicopter and got dropped into a nuclear reactor.

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 01:33 PM
I bet James Cameron would know....

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/article/779/779587/entourage-season-three-part-1-20070410040948312-000.jpg

Jacie
3/12/2011, 01:35 PM
Isn't that how Aquaman got his powers? I think he was swimming in the ocean one day and he accidentally got scooped up by a helicopter and got dropped into a nuclear reactor.

I thought (when I used to read comics that featured Aquaman and this was decades ago) he was born to a race of mer-people or something like that. Didn't know he was mutated through exposure to radioactivity.

Now tell me, based on your namesake, was Batman nemesis the Penguin born that way or did something happen that he made funny noises and waddled instead of strode when he walked?

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 01:42 PM
Checkout Wikis story on Aquaman....it's pretty complicated....lol

Starting in 1959, Aquaman's backstory was revised, with various new supporting characters added and several adjustments made to the character, his origins, his powers, and persona.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaman

OUthunder
3/12/2011, 01:53 PM
Japan is on a conference call with Charlie Sheen as we speak. He's go the fix that Japan needs.

Winning.

pphilfran
3/12/2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Japan....there goes our last chance at getting future nukes on line in the US...

HBick
3/12/2011, 03:18 PM
Anyone seen anything on the type of damage to the seawater surround the plant? Chernobyl was land locked, and it's still highly radioactive. I don't know anything about it, but if that radiation keeps leaking and taints the seawater is it going to spread all over the Pacific?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2011, 04:39 PM
Supposedly going to pump seawater into the containment building to cool the mess. Likely will have to entomb the reactor after they control it.

Okla-homey
3/12/2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Japan....there goes our last chance at getting future nukes on line in the US...

I agree. We need to be building nuke plants all over America. This will give abundant fodder to the anti-nuke weenies in the US. Notwithsatnding the fact we can situate our plants in non-eathquake zones. Unlike Japan, which is, in its entirety, an earthquake zone.

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 04:45 PM
I'm still waiting on Bill Gates to stop Hurricanes with cool Sea Water. I wonder if he has any ideas on Tsunamis?

SanJoaquinSooner
3/12/2011, 06:21 PM

No. Never kill more innocent people than necessary to end a war.

sappstuf
3/12/2011, 06:26 PM

Obama just announced a nuke moratorium for 500K years....

SicEmBaylor
3/12/2011, 06:40 PM
No. Never kill more innocent people than necessary to end a war.

Innocent? Really? Every woman, child, and elderly men were being trained to attack and kill American soldiers even (or especially) if it was suicidal. They trained children to go up to troops and drop a grenade. The women were making bamboo spears all across the country.

And let me tell you...they weren't just a bunch of unwilling civillians who were caught up by the mistakes of their government. They were fanatics that would have resisted to the very last man.

Whet
3/12/2011, 06:45 PM
Anyone seen anything on the type of damage to the seawater surround the plant? Chernobyl was land locked, and it's still highly radioactive. I don't know anything about it, but if that radiation keeps leaking and taints the seawater is it going to spread all over the Pacific?

Think about the detonations in the South Pacific - Eniwetok, for example.

sooner59
3/12/2011, 07:18 PM
Innocent? Really? Every woman, child, and elderly men were being trained to attack and kill American soldiers even (or especially) if it was suicidal. They trained children to go up to troops and drop a grenade. The women were making bamboo spears all across the country.

And let me tell you...they weren't just a bunch of unwilling civillians who were caught up by the mistakes of their government. They were fanatics that would have resisted to the very last man.

Well...you can't say they weren't a committed bunch.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/12/2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks, Japan....there goes our last chance at getting future nukes on line in the US...Agreed. Thanks also to Jane Fonda, the late Jack Lemon, and the other folks involved with "The China Syndrome".

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/12/2011, 07:46 PM

And let me tell you...they weren't just a bunch of unwilling civillians who were caught up by the mistakes of their government. They were fanatics that would have resisted to the very last man.My dad was in the Phillipines, preparing to attack Japan, when Harry dropped the bomb. He knew they were facing likely death if they had to invade. Needless to say, they were overjoyed with Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

jumperstop
3/12/2011, 08:16 PM
Agreed. Thanks also to Jane Fonda, the late Jack Lemon, and the other folks involved with "The China Syndrome".

Didn't help that came out a week or two before Three Mile Island.

Breadburner
3/12/2011, 08:19 PM
Hillary is tea-bagging the **** out of Barry and he dont even know it....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!