PDA

View Full Version : I wish Joe C. would say something

stoopified
3/12/2011, 12:42 AM
One way or another and get it over with.If Jrff is done then fire him and start looking for his replacement.If you(as I believe) are retaining him ,it is time to send a loud and clear signal to that effect.Unchecked speculation doesn't do Jeff or the program ahy good. I'm certain the decision has been made so let's get on with it and allow Jeff to step out of the shadow being cast by the perception of uncertainty OR let the search begin.

I assume Joe has good reason for not acting quickly ,however I must admit I have no idea what the reason or reasons may be. I sincerely hope we get our answer soon.I also fervently wish that whatever the decision is that the Sooner basketball family pulls together to help us back to a Sooner level of sucess.

I am a solid supporter of Capel BUT I will fully support OU should the decision be made to go another direction.My biggest concern is OU.I have loved ,followed,supported the Sooners through thick and thin since 1969(at age 9) through my all too brief college experience through to this very day.

I say it is time to fish or cut bait.Boomer Sooner.

Blue
3/12/2011, 12:43 AM
Lookin for a coach?

FenwayFaithfulSooner
3/12/2011, 03:40 AM
I really thought that by today we would have heard something. One way or the other. The silence is surprising to me. I just want this saga to be over. It is time to move on and focus our attention on next season.

Soonerjeepman
3/12/2011, 09:11 AM
I thought he said he is stayin...no?..thought I read that somewhere...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/12/2011, 10:41 AM
Isn't coming out and issuing a statement that Capel is staying is like the dreaded "vote of confidence". I take the lack of any statement at this point to mean he is staying.

yermom
3/12/2011, 10:59 AM
i'd be trying to make sure i could upgrade before giving him his walking papers...

who could we get that would for sure be better?

texaspokieokie
3/12/2011, 11:05 AM
i'd be trying to make sure i could upgrade before giving him his walking papers...

who could we get that would for sure be better?

Bobby Knight !!!
:D :D :D

oumartin
3/12/2011, 11:06 AM
actually I heard at one time Izzo said if he ever were to leave MSU it would be to coach Oklahoma

soonervegas
3/12/2011, 11:11 AM
You are terrible oumartin....

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 11:14 AM
Something.

http://static.newsok.biz/sites/newsok/images/web/100%20best/jc.jpg

PhiDeltBeers
3/12/2011, 11:26 AM
No news is good news?

:pop:

FenwayFaithfulSooner
3/12/2011, 12:03 PM
If Izzo came here I might **** myself. That guy has always been a pretty good coach and is a winner. Kind of like Charlie Sheen, he's WINNING!

Sooner74
3/12/2011, 01:55 PM
Seriously, Joe C not making a statement is probably for the best. If he came out that would mean Jeff was on the hot seat and Joe didn't have confidence in him. I doubt Joe C is looking for a coach then backdoor Jeff. That would be trashy. I bet you he is waiting till Tech fills there coaching slot and wants to see if it is BCG. If he gets that job, I think Jeff stays. I think if Joe C thinks BCG would come here, that he would cut Jeff loose.

LiveLaughLove
3/12/2011, 02:22 PM
I don't think he's pulling the plug or he would have said something by now. Since he isn't going to, then there isn't a reason to say anything publicly.

He doesn't come out each year and say "Bob Stoops will be our coach next year", so no reason to do so with Capel.

Since it only appears that minor to slight improvement is possible for next year (barring some unforseen huge recruiting grab), I would have to think Joe is giving Capel at least a couple of more years to turn things around. There would be no reason to keep him and set a totally unrealistic expectation for just one more year.

Of course, if next year is a fiasco then next year could be the end for Capel, or if the NCAA stuff involves him in more ways than just being the one that hired that assistant.

So I would say as of right now, it appears its two more years for Capel. I hope he gets it turned around. Cant say I have great hope, but I do hope so.

oumartin
3/12/2011, 02:25 PM
Aren't Mondays ususally the day?

stoopified
3/12/2011, 03:58 PM
The only thing I can think of is that Joe C. wants to wait until after the Big 12 tourney.Why,I don't really know as both OU eams are done.Maybe he is being a Big 12 guy ,not wanting to distract from the spotlight on teams still playing. this weekend.

soonerbub
3/12/2011, 04:21 PM
Just what is he supposed to say? Our coach is under contract for at least 4 more years. If Joe was gonna whack Jeff he would've already.

stoopified
3/12/2011, 04:43 PM
Just what is he supposed to say? Our coach is under contract for at least 4 more years. If Joe was gonna whack Jeff he would've already.That is excatly my point.The speculation is rampant as to Capel's staus.Local media more so than kational media continues to speculate about Capel's status.That is being used against OU in rcruiting.A strong joint statement by Boren and JoeC. that Capel is the coach now and for the future(even if they don't really mean the last part) solidifys Capel's status for the all important recruiting process.Secondly it would stop the rumours by those who want Capel fired.

oumartin
3/12/2011, 04:57 PM
so, this sucky recruiting class is on Joe C. I like it

OU_Sooners75
3/12/2011, 09:12 PM
so, this sucky recruiting class is on Joe C. I like it

Are you always this retarded? :confused:

nighttrain12
3/12/2011, 09:24 PM
Perhaps he is negotiating the buyout now.

OU_Sooners75
3/12/2011, 09:28 PM

Or perhaps he is not doing anything and going to keep Capel?

Seriously, some of you guys are just ridiculous. Lets see where it goes without the speculation!

oumartin
3/13/2011, 06:35 AM
Are you always this retarded? :confused:

It was a joke.

You people take yourself way to serious.

OU_Sooners75
3/13/2011, 11:21 AM
It was a joke.

You people take yourself way to serious.

Aww....did your panties just get bunched up Martin?

stoopified
3/13/2011, 11:51 AM
Or perhaps he is not doing anything and going to keep Capel?

Seriously, some of you guys are just ridiculous. Lets see where it goes without the speculation!This is an example of whyI want Joe to say something. EVERYBODY in the media,message boards is speculating that Jeff is gone or they are in buyot talks or Joe has a consulting firm talking to candidates or.....just about any damn theory you can imagine.

Recruiting for b-ball is tough enough at OU without the pall of PPARENT indecesion hanging in the air.

Scott D
3/13/2011, 12:10 PM
Only way Izzo leaves Michigan State is for the NBA or to retire.

EnragedOUfan
3/13/2011, 04:17 PM
Arkansas certainly didn't have a problem with getting rid of their coach only after 4 seasons......

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6212623

I'm sorry, but 2 back to back losing seasons is painful. Pelphrey is somewhat similiar to Capel, where he had two decent seasons his first 2 years even making the tournament, followed by 2 back to back losing seasons. The University of Arkansas realized that Pelphrey was not the best man for the program and they made a decision...... It would be awesome if Joe could bring in a big name guy to turn this program around.

StoopTroup
3/13/2011, 04:29 PM
WTH?

Everytime this gets bumped I think someone got fired. :D

soonervegas
3/13/2011, 05:28 PM
Arkansas takes basketball more seriously than we do obviously.....

stoopified
3/13/2011, 11:06 PM
Watching the SPORTS BLITZ tonite I witnessed further media speculation about Capel's future at OU.During the PLAY THE PERCENTAGES segment Blevins put the % that Jeff would be OU's coach next year at 33%,John Holcomb said 85%.

Soonerjeepman
3/13/2011, 11:27 PM
honestly believe he'll be here...and if we wins 2-4 more games in conf (which I doubt we play ku/ksu/mu/isu twice next yr...) he stays again...

if we had BIG legal issues then I'd say the combo would send him out...

I do see both sides...the no comments...no comment needed because there is not issue...he's staying...make a comment so all the recruits know...but they know anyway...

we'll see...

TheHumanAlphabet
3/13/2011, 11:44 PM
... I bet you he is waiting till Tech fills there coaching slot and wants to see if it is BCG. If he gets that job, I think Jeff stays. I think if Joe C thinks BCG would come here, that he would cut Jeff loose.

Who is BCG???

Soonerjeepman
3/14/2011, 12:22 AM
Billy Gillispe..(sp?)

SoonerMom2
3/14/2011, 08:37 AM
Why would anyone want the former coach at A&M that couldn't win at KY and got into problems with drinking? Why does the Big 12 want to pick up someone fired for a drinking problem just like Eddie Sutton when he came from KY to OSU and eventually it all caught up with him. Cannot believe anyone at OU would give Gillespie a second thought.

cdlbdd
3/14/2011, 08:59 AM
Can you really fault the guy for the drinking thing, Lexington is only 21 miles from Bourbon County.

birddog
3/14/2011, 09:38 AM
Why would anyone want the former coach at A&M that couldn't win at KY and got into problems with drinking? Why does the Big 12 want to pick up someone fired for a drinking problem just like Eddie Sutton when he came from KY to OSU and eventually it all caught up with him. Cannot believe anyone at OU would give Gillespie a second thought.

:stunned:

Soonerjeepman
3/14/2011, 09:56 AM

I'd have to check the records...but just on gut feeling Kentucky is a step UP from A/M in basketball...so I'm assuming Billy G did a decent job at a/m..

70 - 26 in 3 yrs..
8-8
10-6
13-3 in conf...

I'd say he did a pretty good job...

NIT first yr
2nd rnd second yr
sweet 16 third yr...

also was the firs Big12 south school to beat KU in Lawrence..

now his drinkin...and questionable recruiting...hmmm...THAT might be a concern...guy landed a couple of 5 stars and 4 star guys to a/m...

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2011, 10:15 AM
now his drinkin...and questionable recruiting...hmmm...THAT might be a concern...guy landed a couple of 5 stars and 4 star guys to a/m...

Sounds like a perfect fit at Tech

PhiDeltBeers
3/14/2011, 12:10 PM
You got your wish OP. The man has spoken.

nighttrain12
3/14/2011, 12:23 PM

Told ya so!

soonerbub
3/14/2011, 12:26 PM
Well I was wrong. Man I'd hate to play poker w Joe C.

stoopified
3/14/2011, 12:32 PM
Well I'm glad we know,now who is our coach?