PDA

View Full Version : Are you that guy?

3rdgensooner
3/11/2011, 04:07 PM
Beat Deafness: A Man Lost in Musical Time (http://news.discovery.com/human/music-beat-deafness-rhythm-110304.html#mkcpgn=rssnws1)

Everyone has a friend that dances to their own rhythm -- and no one else's. Now researchers have a theory why that is.

THE GIST

Researchers have identified the first documented case of beat deafness.
When music is playing, a 23-year-old man named Mathieu flails in a time zone of his own when bouncing up and down to a melody.
Mathieu usually fails to recognize when someone else dances out of sync to a tune, too.

The Go-Go's had a 1982 hit record with "We Got the Beat," but a 23-year-old man named Mathieu never got their message. Researchers have identified Mathieu as the first documented case of beat deafness, a condition in which a person can't feel music's beat or move in time to it.

Mathieu flails in a time zone of his own when bouncing up and down to a melody, unlike people who don't dance particularly well but generally move in sync with a musical beat, according to a team led by psychologists Jessica Phillips-Silver and Isabelle Peretz, both of the University of Montreal. What's more, Mathieu usually fails to recognize when someone else dances out of sync to a tune, the researchers report in a paper that will appear in Neuropsychologia.

"We suspect that beat deafness is specific to music and is quite rare," Phillips-Silver says. She and her colleagues plan to investigate whether Mathieu takes an offbeat approach to nonmusical activities, such as conversational turn-taking and adjusting one's gait to that of someone else.

Language lacks the periodic rhythms found in music, so it's unlikely that Mathieu's problem affects speech perception, remarks cognitive scientist Josh McDermott of New York University. If periodic sounds of all kinds confuse Mathieu, this problem may loom large when he confronts complex musical beats, McDermott suggests.

AlboSooner
3/11/2011, 04:14 PM
This beat deafness is wide-spread among white people.

Aldebaran
3/11/2011, 04:16 PM
That would be a disaster.

KuppiKunta
3/11/2011, 04:19 PM
I'm just a Caucasian.

NormanPride
3/11/2011, 04:21 PM
I'm glad we have people around to figure these things out. :D

3rdgensooner
3/11/2011, 04:21 PM
This beat deafness is wide-spread among white people.

I'm just a Caucasian.Excuses.

StoopTroup
3/11/2011, 04:22 PM
Somehow I still had two kids.

apusooner
3/11/2011, 04:47 PM
as a music teacher, i can tell you this is not rare. at all. there are many different levels of it too.

XingTheRubicon
3/11/2011, 05:52 PM
I believe Thoreau covered this.

StoopTroup
3/11/2011, 05:54 PM
http://free-pianosheetmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Mr.-Hollands-Opus.jpg

apusooner
3/11/2011, 08:23 PM
i should also clarify that i teach pop/rock classes. at the college level believe it or not. so people are more prone to "dance" during class than say, an orchestra or concert band rehearsal

stoopified
3/12/2011, 08:58 AM
I knew I wasn't alone.

Wishboned
3/12/2011, 09:26 AM
I too was born rhythm impaired. I tried everything to cure it. In desperation I even joined a 12 step group.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay in step, so they kicked me out.

PrideTrombone
3/12/2011, 09:34 AM
I'm a band director. This is not "quite rare." I see 1-2 kids in every grade level whom I teach who can't seem to understand how beat works. They're the ones who will wait until their neighbor does it correctly then will try to imitate them based on what they heard.

StoopTroup
3/12/2011, 09:36 AM
Never let your kids learn to beat from the neighbor.

Mixer!
3/12/2011, 09:55 AM
The Ramones - Beat On The Brat (NO, not that brat!)