PDA

View Full Version : Texas High School Baseball Runs Record: Ethics Question?

Sooner74
3/10/2011, 03:28 PM
So I ran accross a ethical problem in a story I was reading recently about Lake Highlands baseball scoring 57 runs in a game and throwing a no-hitter. I wanted to see what others thought about this story which is linked below:
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/03/10/11/Dallas-High-School-sets-state-baseball-s/landing_uil.html?blockID=437612&feedID=3742

I was wondering whether you believe this coach acted in an ethical manner. As the story states, the Lake Highlands coach emptied his bench and did not steal a base. While this shows he truly wasn't trying to run the score up, I feel some degree of blame needs to be placed because the poor kids from Samuell were forced to get mauled in the game. The coach stated he had to get to 5 innings per "Federation Rules" and at inning 3 it seems it was clear they were going to kill this team.

If you were the Lake Highlands Coach, what would you have done:
A) Told your team to pack it up after inning 3 and hope you get a win?
B) Play until the 5th inning to assure your team a win and keep the score as low as possible to the best of your ability?
C) Do you place blame on the Samuell Coach for not conferring and possibly forfeiting the game?

I just feel the outcome was not what we want to see at this level of sports. Sportsmanship should be paramount to these kids education because most will not play in college.

TumbleweedDoom
3/10/2011, 05:02 PM
Interesting question. I'd do as he did, most likely, and totally empty my bench and let all my kids play. But I'd totally avoid making a mockery of the sport by letting kids pitch who never pitched before and stuff, or telling guys to purposefully strike out or anything like that.

I'd just be getting my back of the bullpen guys in there and the end of the bench guys in to hit and field.

rekamrettuB
3/10/2011, 05:33 PM
“We did everything possible,” Higgins told The Dallas Morning News. “We told the kids no matter how far you hit the ball, you only go one base at a time. . . . We didn’t steal any bases. I emptied the bench.”

This was my first thought when I was reading the OP. I coached a little league team and we did this one game. Same thing as we had to play X innings for it to be legit...or an hour long.