PDA

View Full Version : iPad2, Netbook, or ...

Whet
3/10/2011, 11:14 AM
just use my DoidX to check email, check in on SF, and other web surfing while traveling.

Anyone have the iPad or planning to purchase the iPad2? Why and what is your opinion of this device?

Netbooks - are they yesterday's technology, so don't get one?

Or, other tablet devices - are these the up and coming toys?

KantoSooner
3/10/2011, 11:26 AM
IMHO, if that's what you're going to use it for, then the only thing you're buying with a tablet is a bigger screen.

Tablets are here to stay and offer more mobility than netbooks (which, in my op suck terribly). I know of several people who've gotten peripherals that allow them to do pretty much full on work related email on the road with tablets.

I'd probably go with the apple and with the orig ipad, due to the new one being, well, new and apple not having tested things of late quite as well as they used to pre-launch.

my $0.02

Veritas
3/10/2011, 11:39 AM
I thought the iPad was a silly giant iPod Touch. I mocked it right up to the point that the UPS guy dropped mine off.

And then I fell in love with it. It's greatness.

One tip: buy the 3G version even if you don't intend to activate a plan. The GPS is much much better (if you care about such things). IMO it's worth the extra money.

NormanPride
3/10/2011, 11:43 AM
I just hate the way apple drm's everything. It goes against my freedom loving soul.

Veritas
3/10/2011, 11:44 AM
I just hate the way apple drm's everything. It goes against my freedom loving soul.
Ahh, dude, eff iTunes...Amazon MP3 is the way to go.

NormanPride
3/10/2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah, that's all I do anymore. But I hate using third party apps on Apple products... it always seems like they don't quite work right. Sure there are the flagship ones like Adobe anything, but I just remember trying to find MP3 players and movie players that weren't quicktime and iTunes and being really hacked off at performance and features.

Whet
3/10/2011, 12:06 PM
I thought the iPad was a silly giant iPod Touch. I mocked it right up to the point that the UPS guy dropped mine off.

One tip: buy the 3G version even if you don't intend to activate a plan. The GPS is much much better (if you care about such things). IMO it's worth the extra money.

I have an AT&T broadband card, so I am wondering if the 3G model has the slot for a sim card, that I could pull from my current device and use it in the iPad?

AlboSooner
3/10/2011, 12:13 PM
I purchased an iPad and returned after a few days. In order to do any serious work, like type long emails or documents, or make spreadsheet, you have to spend a little. For example the cheapest iPad 1 is the 16Gb WiFi version, which in OK will cost you around $540. Then you have to buy a keyboard in order to do serious typing on it, I can't imagine banging your fingers on the LCD for a long time. The keyboard will be around $70. If you want any type of USB, or HDMI connectivity you need to buy connectors which each are worth $30. Then you need an iPad stand. Everybody buys a stand to use it when they use the iPad on the table. Stand are $20. Then you need a cover for it. Let's say another $20. Then to do any work you need to purchase Apple's iWorks app which is $10.

So right now the price of a 16 Gb wifi tablet has become $700.

That's anawful lot of money for a glorified iPod touch imo, even though the browsing in the iPad is just sublime. PDF viewing is OK. youtube loads well; facebook looks fine on it. iPad compatible magazines look good on the iPad. Reading is ok on it as long as you are not an avid reader.

For me, the iPad seemed like a toy, a time passer. It would be great for long flights over the Atlantic, but for anything other than that, I couldn't justify its price.

OUthunder
3/10/2011, 12:36 PM

By the 3g and jailbreak that bad boy. You'll have free wi-fi.

HBick
3/10/2011, 12:48 PM
You do know that Apple's music released in the iTunes store is not DRM protected anymore right? It's still released in their format, but the DRM is stripped. I discovered this last night after I had to deauthorize all 5 computers because I had changed my iTunes Account info and iOS 4.3 screwed it up.

But I'd go for the iPad 2, if I had the money I'd be getting one

Whet
3/10/2011, 12:54 PM
By the 3g and jailbreak that bad boy. You'll have free wi-fi.

why do you need to jailbreak it to get free WiFi?

Whet
3/10/2011, 12:56 PM
But I'd go for the iPad 2, if I had the money I'd be getting one

Why?

AlboSooner
3/10/2011, 12:59 PM
why do you need to jailbreak it to get free WiFi?

It's not free. You bypass software limitations to use your iPad as a hot spot.

Whet
3/10/2011, 01:02 PM
OK, so you set up the 3G service, then use the iPad like a MiFi?

So, with all the extras needed for the iPad, would you go for a netbook?

AlboSooner
3/10/2011, 01:06 PM
OK, so you set up the 3G service, then use the iPad like a MiFi?

So, with all the extras needed for the iPad, would you go for a netbook?

You pay for 3G, and use its 3G as a hotspot with 3rd party apps. The legality is dubious here.

Only you can make that decision, if getting an iPad or netbook is the best choice for you. Why not go to an Apple store, and play with the ipad for an hour, and see if you find it useful.

OUthunder
3/10/2011, 01:06 PM
It's not free. You bypass software limitations to use your iPad as a hot spot.

Winning!

Partial Qualifier
3/10/2011, 01:07 PM
Why?

So they can feel uber-cool while playing a game on their oversized ipod touch, as they play that song from the Apple tv commercials over and over in their head?

What do I win?

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2011, 01:08 PM
I've got an iPad 1 . . . works like a charm for what I want it to do (surf the web, check email, play games, etc.).

I doubt I'll get an iPad 2 anytime soon.

Whet
3/10/2011, 01:08 PM
Or, wait for an Android tablet due out later this spring?

Whet
3/10/2011, 01:09 PM
I've got an iPad 1 . . . works like a charm for what I want it to do (surf the web, check email, play games, etc.).

I doubt I'll get an iPad 2 anytime soon.

How does that compare with your droid - the operating systems...

AlboSooner
3/10/2011, 01:11 PM
There are a few Android tablets in the market. They all face the same problem the iPad faces: can't justify the price for its usefulness. Right now the only good Android based tablet is the Motorola Xoom, and that bad boy is expensive. If money is no issue for you, buy them both.

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2011, 01:12 PM
How does that compare with your droid - the operating systems...

The iPad itself seems to work just fine . . . it doesn't hang up or stall like my old iPhone 3g did.

I actually prefer the speed/response of the iPad to what my Droid 2 has at the moment.

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2011, 01:14 PM
There are a few Android tablets in the market. They all face the same problem the iPad faces: can't justify the price for its usefulness. Right now the only good Android based tablet is the Motorola Xoom, and that bad boy is expensive. If money is no issue for you, buy them both.

I got my iPad as part of a class I took last Fall . . . I doubt I'd have one otherwise. I'd probably spend the money on an actual laptop to be honest.

Whet
3/10/2011, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately, the Xoom is in Verizon's camp. But, I agree, the Xoom looks nice. I was trying to see if I could keep my AT&T data plan (unlimited), rather than switching to Verizon's data plan. Although, I did switch to Verizon's phone service for their DroidX.

AlboSooner
3/10/2011, 01:15 PM
http://gizmodo.com/#!5780307/the-early-ipad-2-reviews-are-in

http://gizmodo.com/#!5773009/motorola-xoom-review-the-future-of-tablets-whether-you-like-it-or-not

Whet
3/10/2011, 01:16 PM
I got my iPad as part of a class I took last Fall . . . I doubt I'd have one otherwise. I'd probably spend the money on an actual laptop to be honest.

Have you looked at the netbooks?

I would like to have something to travel light with, rather than bringing my larger laptop.

yermom
3/10/2011, 01:18 PM
i have a netbook and an iPhone and don't feel much need for an iPad

of course, i do remote admin stuff that would be a pain on a tablet, but i get a full operating system and keyboard too

at my last job we brought in security consultants. the guy that did the network survey did the while thing with a netbook running Linux

i spend most of my time in Ubuntu but if i need something like Internet Explorer or iTunes for whatever reason i can boot into Windows.

i can do real work on the road if i need to, which i have. it's not going to encode HD movies or anything, but like 95% of the time it's all i need

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2011, 01:19 PM
Have you looked at the netbooks?

I would like to have something to travel light with, rather than bringing my larger laptop.

I haven't . . . this would actually be more for my girls than me anyway, so I wouldn't buy a huge laptop. Probably something in between a laptop and netbook in both size and processor speed.

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2011, 01:20 PM
i have a netbook and an iPhone and don't feel much need for an iPad

of course, i do remote admin stuff that would be a pain on a tablet, but i get a full operating system and keyboard too

at my last job we brought in security consultants. the guy that did the network survey did the while thing with a netbook running Linux

i spend most of my time in Ubuntu but if i need something like Internet Explorer or iTunes for whatever reason i can boot into Windows.

i can do real work on the road if i need to, which i have. it's not going to encode HD movies or anything, but like 95% of the time it's all i need

Get you a bluetooth keyboard and I bet you'd use an iPad more than you think. I have a couple of keyboards at home, but haven't paired either with my iPad yet, but I want to. :D

yermom
3/10/2011, 01:22 PM
I haven't . . . this would actually be more for my girls than me anyway, so I wouldn't buy a huge laptop. Probably something in between a laptop and netbook in both size and processor speed.

i'll probably eventually end up with one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220805&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Netbooks-_-ASUS-_-34220805

yermom
3/10/2011, 01:25 PM
Get you a bluetooth keyboard and I bet you'd use an iPad more than you think. I have a couple of keyboards at home, but haven't paired either with my iPad yet, but I want to. :D

but then that's more pieces i need to carry and buy as well

if i didn't have an iPhone/smart phone i'd probably be more likely

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2011, 01:26 PM
but then that's more pieces i need to carry and buy as well

if i didn't have an iPhone/smart phone i'd probably be more likely

True . . . since I don't travel as much anymore I don't really think about portability all that much. :O

MR2-Sooner86
3/10/2011, 01:45 PM
Here's my problem with the iPad. It is a glorified iPod. Yes, I've used one and they're great but I can't justify the money.

The thing with the iPad is Apple restricted what it could do the first go around, just like the iPhone. The iPhone wasn't worth it until the 3GS came out and addressed many issues. I expect the same with the iPad.

iPad 64 GB with Wifi
$699.99
iPad 64 GB with Wifi + 3G + GPS
$829.00
1 GHz duel-core processor
No USB connection
No firewire connection.
9-10 hour battery
iOS 4 - The operating system used on the iPhone.

Macbook
$999.99
250 GB hard-drive
2.4 GHz duel-core processor
7 hour battery
Built in Wifi
Built in Bluetooth
OS X with Snow Leopard
CD/DVD burner
Real keyboard

I'll spend the extra $170 and get a MacBook and NOT be restricted.
If the iPad gets OS X, USB, and a couple other things I MIGHT consider one. If I'm paying upwards of a grand I expect it to do what a laptop of equal value can do.

As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.

yermom
3/10/2011, 02:03 PM
to be fair, it's not supposed to replace a notebook, it just does more of what notebooks are generally used for and are cutting into that market

they will mature eventually though, and do a lot of combining (Tablets, not just the Apple ones)

and you can't realy compage the 3G iPad to the Macbook.

another issue i have is paying for more than one data plan. that just seems like robbery to me.

the-rover
3/10/2011, 02:26 PM
Or, wait for an Android tablet due out later this spring?

You could buy a Color Nook, root it, and you'll have your android tablet. Wifi only though.

yermom
3/10/2011, 02:27 PM
NookColors run Android?

hmm...

i basically never looked at them before right now. maybe they should have chosen a different name...

the-rover
3/10/2011, 02:34 PM
NookColors run Android?

hmm...

i basically never looked at them before right now. maybe they should have chosen a different name...

My tech geek buddy at work has one, you can get them on ebay ready to go for about 300.

yermom
3/10/2011, 02:41 PM
i'm a moderately experienced hardware hacker. i think i can handle it :D

MR2-Sooner86
3/10/2011, 02:57 PM
to be fair, it's not supposed to replace a notebook, it just does more of what notebooks are generally used for and are cutting into that market

That's the thing. If it's not suppose to replace a notebook, don't price it with one. Either add more to it for the price or lower it. That's all I ask.

Right now I have a smartphone that I paid $120 for that does everything the iPad does. The only thing is it doesn't have a large screen (obviously) or record HD video.

The only thing I can see that's worth getting an iPad for is it'd make it much easier to play Angry Birds.

sooner59
3/10/2011, 03:13 PM
If I get one, it will be the iPad 1 16 GB for $399. I'm not paying for 3G service. I have that on my iPhone with the unlimited data package that isn't offered anymore. So if I need GPS or whatever, the phone will do. I mainly just want one for my house and places that likely have wifi already anyway.

I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon not long ago and the PA carried one around with him to use for his charts. I sat in on a meeting at the Oklahoma City-County Health Department and just about everyone had iPads and were following a powerpoint presentation on it. Pretty cool.

Veritas
3/10/2011, 03:20 PM
Here's another option: buy a Nook Color, run a hack to make it a Droid tablet. $200.

WSJ Story (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703662804576188901890884360.html?m od=WSJ_Tech_LEFTTopNews)

How to instructions (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/02/howto-root-a-nook-color-to-transform-it-into-an-android-tablet.ars)

I fully intend to try this.

Edit: Sorry therover, didn't see your post.

yermom
3/10/2011, 03:29 PM
That's the thing. If it's not suppose to replace a notebook, don't price it with one. Either add more to it for the price or lower it. That's all I ask.

Right now I have a smartphone that I paid $120 for that does everything the iPad does. The only thing is it doesn't have a large screen (obviously) or record HD video.

The only thing I can see that's worth getting an iPad for is it'd make it much easier to play Angry Birds.

try pricing an iPhone without a data plan

HBick
3/10/2011, 04:08 PM
Why?

numerous reasons, just go read the reviews on cnn, gizmodo, techcrunch, etc...

I could post the highlights here, but each person is looking for something different.

My main complaint with the first gen was how bulky it felt when holding it. The new one is thinner than an iPhone 4 and apparently feels great when holding it

Sooner_Bob
3/10/2011, 04:10 PM
i'll probably eventually end up with one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220805&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Netbooks-_-ASUS-_-34220805

That looks like a pretty sweet deal.

jiminy
3/10/2011, 06:31 PM
I have a Xoom and like it a lot. It replaces a lot of what you would use a laptop around the house for, e.g internet browsing during morning deconstitutional, online forum game threads, playing games, etc... and is a lot less bulky. They're smaller than most people think.

Whet
3/12/2011, 09:52 PM
Well, I purchased an iPad. The droid tablets are not there yet - I did like the Xoom, but did not want to pay the $$ and get another data account. I have an old AT&T data plan that has unlimited usage....

I didn't get the iPad2, but the 1. I was able to keep my data plan by getting the MiFi and using that to connect to the internet with the iPad.

Thanks everyone for you help!