PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops pokes fun at Big 12 rivals

sendbaht
3/9/2011, 06:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/26457/bob-stoops-pokes-fun-at-big-12-rivals

Photos of Oklahoma State's new Big 12 South championship rings made their way onto the internet last week, earned as part of a three-way tie atop the division in 2010.

Oklahoma represented the division in the title game, beating Nebraska to win the conference. At Oklahoma's pro day on Tuesday, Sooners coach Bob Stoops walked past a group of reporters and brought their attention to the new banner in the team's indoor facility commemorating their 2010 title.

"You see we got another championship banner up?" Stoops said, according to The Oklahoman. "It’s not a South Division one, either."

Stoops' jab is funny. There's no denying that, regardless of your affiliation as a fan. Sports figures, especially in college, are most often muted these days, and it's nice to see some personality once in awhile.

Oklahoma safety Tony Jefferson also took to Twitter on Tuesday to voice his displeasure at Oklahoma State quarterback tweeting a photo of his Big 12 South championship ring.

This is a "to the victor go the spoils" situation. Oklahoma State and Nebraska had their chance to shut the Sooners up with a lot on the line and didn't do it. So, high road or otherwise, Oklahoma has earned the right to talk.

Stoops didn't explicitly elaborate, but it might be safe to assume he isn't a fan of handing out multiple division championship trophies.

This week, a mockup of a ring Missouri hoped to have made leaked to the media as well. After the 2008 season, Texas sparked a controversy by adding a "2008" with an asterisk next to it on the wall in its facilities that listed the program's Big 12 titles. Oklahoma won the Big 12 in 2008, but lost to Texas and won a three-way tie with the Longhorns and Texas Tech at the end of the season via the BCS standings to represent the South in the Big 12 title game. The year and asterisk were eventually removed.

I don't have a problem with allowing teams to claim a share of the division, but it seems a little ridiculous to pass out trophies and allow schools to have rings made if they choose to do so. There are a set of tiebreakers written into the league's bylaws, and those tiebreakers make it clear who won the divisions last season.

That would be the Sooners and the Huskers.

I don't have a problem with teams celebrating and acknowledging division titles even if they lose in the conference championship game, but next year, when the league goes to 10 teams and round-robin play, only one team should get a conference championship trophy, and only one team should have rings made.

jkjsooner
3/9/2011, 07:18 PM
when the league goes to 10 teams and round-robin play, only one team should get a conference championship trophy, and only one team should have rings made.

How exactly would you determine which ONE team claimed the championship in a 3 way tie?

We settle three way ties (ultimately with BCS and even more ultimately a coin toss) in the divisional games because we have to determine who plays in the championship game. There won't be such a rule when there isn't a championship game.

There might be such a thing to determine who gets the automatic BCS berth but that shouldn't be interpreted as the sole champion. With a non-title game we will have shared championship as we should.

MyT Oklahoma
3/9/2011, 07:46 PM
I have rarely paid very much attention to what other Big 12 schools have to say about anything over the years. However, the * in 2008 and OSU's 2010 South Co-Championship banner bring out my sense of humor.

85sooners
3/9/2011, 07:51 PM
Osu is ridicoulous

jkjsooner
3/9/2011, 07:56 PM
The 08 championship claimed by Texas is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. It's one thing to claim co-South but to claim something that is won as a result of a game they didn't play in is more than absurd.

jersey sooner
3/9/2011, 11:10 PM
They say swagger comes from the top down.

madillsoonerfan5353
3/10/2011, 08:42 AM
They say swagger comes from the top down.

THIS^^^^^^ Coach is getting that SWAG back.

:gary:

bmjlr
3/10/2011, 09:14 AM
THIS^^^^^^ Coach is getting that SWAG back.

:gary:

Finally! And I could not be more excited! Sounds like the days with Miles at OSU...I want Stoops to get that SWAG back and let them know their place.

Phil
3/10/2011, 09:45 AM
The dumbassery is not confined to our Ag brethren.

https://uminfopoint.umsystem.edu/sites/umpmm/bids/Bids/1008HRR.PDF

Soonerwake
3/10/2011, 09:47 AM
Days like this make me so glad I'm a Sooner fan... :D

Breadburner
3/10/2011, 09:49 AM
All the kids get a trophy now.....

SoonerinSouthlake
3/10/2011, 09:55 AM
when win so rarely, you have no choice but to puff your chest out an claim victory in these types of situations....

..but how embarrassed does this make their level headed fans (YES even the pokes have some objective sports fans)??

You can bet your arse you will never see Bob Stoops giving rings to our kids for finishing tied for a division.

KantoSooner
3/10/2011, 10:04 AM
Genghiz Khan never celebrated draws.

Neither should we.

Always ask, "What would Genghiz do?"

OK2U
3/10/2011, 11:57 AM
In other news, in a week where Mack Brown has been talking to the media about how excited he is to learn all of Brian Harsin's trick plays and install them in his new offense...Stoops and Co. visit Boise St. spring practices:
http://www.idahopress.com/blogs/sports/dave/article_147e1a6e-4ab3-11e0-b950-001cc4c03286.html

"For those who wonder, the sting of the Fiesta Bowl, now four years ago, has subsided for the Oklahoma Sooner coaches.
On Wednesday, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and a few of his assistants (including DC Brent Venables and co-OCs Jay Norvell and Josh Heupel) were in Boise, watching the Broncos during their second spring practice.
It speaks a lot about our program that a guy like Bob Stoops would bring five or six of his staff members up here and say 'let's see what these guys are doing,'" Boise State nickels/special teams coach Jeff Choate said.
After practice, Boise State coach Chris Petersen chatted with Stoops, while the teams' coordinators spoke, then the group headed off to the varsity center.
Boise State coaches have gone to other schools before spring practices to pick the brains of some of college football's best. In the last few years, there have been visits to TCU, Oklahoma and Alabama. Choate went to Houston and Utah this offseason, and another St. Maries High graduate, Eric Russell, was watching practice Monday.
"We have a tendency that mindset of 'we're going to get everything we can from everyone else' and live in this little bubble," he said. "But sooner or later, you better start sharing."