PDA

View Full Version : We the Fans can change the culture of the Oline

SoonerShay
3/9/2011, 02:28 PM
And when I say change the culture, I mean change how the position is perceived at OUr school.

One of the reasons why we have success getting high profile running backs quarterbacks, Dlineman etc. is not just because we are putting those positions into the NFL, but also because of the love the fanbase shows those guys.

The fans cheer for them, adore them and will fight tooth and nail other fans and the press that sully their names. On the other hand Trent Williams goes top 5 in the draft and fans couldn't dog him enough through the year.

You can't consistently dog a position year after year and then turn around and expect all the Blue chippers to sign for more of the abuse.

I think if we make a concerted effort as fans to have a cheering section for the unappreciated big hogs, we can change how the top Olineman look at OUr school.

By the way I nominate to start calling them "The Maul Boys", what does everyone else think?

dwarthog
3/9/2011, 02:35 PM
That might be a bit too easy to change into the "Mall Boys", particularly for our slow friends to the south. :D

The right track though, something with attitude.

MamaMia
3/9/2011, 02:38 PM
I think we need to stop cheering and the band needs to not play when we have the ball. That would help. ;)

Sooner74
3/9/2011, 03:12 PM
How about The Chupacabras.

rekamrettuB
3/9/2011, 03:58 PM
Is this a serious post?

If recruits based their decision off of fan sites they are seriously confused. And, based on the OP logic, the way I've seen players dog'd on most boards I'm surprised any position comes to OU.

KantoSooner
3/9/2011, 03:58 PM
Maybe let them drive block more and run at least a couple of reverse type things a game so that at least one lineman has an opportunity to deliver the kind of blow that only a 300 lb man, travelling at a full run can deliver when his victim doesn't see it coming.
That might make the Oline happy.

That and thick steaks.

prrriiide
3/9/2011, 05:12 PM
Jammal Brown
Chris Chester
Jon Cooper
Davin Joseph
Phil Loadholt
Duke Robinson
Trent Williams

All OLmen from OU, all currently playing in the NFL. I don't know that any were considered "elite" OL recruits at the time they signed their LOI.

mightysooner
3/9/2011, 07:35 PM
Recruits choose schools based upon the program's ability to develop them and take them to the next level, not on how their fans cheer for respective units. Our Olinemen aren't disrespected or abused and don't need a goofy cheer section. Our success at putting Olinemen in the NFL speaks for itself. That's why they come.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/10/2011, 09:33 AM
Jammal Brown
Chris Chester
Jon Cooper
Davin Joseph
Phil Loadholt
Duke Robinson
Trent Williams

All OLmen from OU, all currently playing in the NFL. I don't know that any were considered "elite" OL recruits at the time they signed their LOI.

That's not really a whole lot if you actually think about it...

agoo758
3/10/2011, 09:36 AM

Can you compare that list to other teams'?

Soonerwake
3/10/2011, 09:38 AM
Does any team "really" cheer for the oline? I mean, they don't score touchdowns, they don't make intercepetions, they don't block kicks, they don't "usually" provide the crowd-inspiring hits replayed on the big screen.. I would think that these guys know that and have probably accepted it by now.

While I appreciate the effort, I'm pretty sure that the fans reaction to our oline is about 461st in a list of issues that could/should be addressed for next year. JMO

Soonerwake
3/10/2011, 09:43 AM

How many starting oline have we graduated in the past 12 years - maybe 40 or so. And there are 7 in the league (many of them starting) for a 7/40 ratio = 18%.

I too would like to see some numbers from other schools, but that doesn't seem too bad to me. Especially if you compare it to other positions.

rekamrettuB
3/10/2011, 10:16 AM
How many starting oline have we graduated in the past 12 years - maybe 40 or so. And there are 7 in the league (many of them starting) for a 7/40 ratio = 18%.

I too would like to see some numbers from other schools, but that doesn't seem too bad to me. Especially if you compare it to other positions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all those are 2004 and beyond too.

And you need to throw in Vince Carter and Wes Sims. They both got play from the NFL.

cccasooner2
3/10/2011, 10:42 AM
Nothing works better to get an O-line fired up than fans wearing a dress and a pig snout.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/10/2011, 11:04 AM

You may be right but I think off the top of my head there are about 9-10 Longhorns in the NFL since 2000 or so. There was a thread on here about this once upon a time I thought.

1890MilesToNorman
3/10/2011, 11:19 AM
Here's a cheer I came up with for the O-Line!

"Come on jackasses, block that SOB"

I hope it catches on.

Leroy Lizard
3/10/2011, 11:28 AM
The full-hog backfield, where you line up your OL in the bone backfield and let an OL score, could be used as a recruiting pitch. Switzer had the idea and planned to use it, but the opportunity never arose.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/10/2011, 11:35 AM
I was an O-Lineman my whole life. Senior year in college got 2 carries for 3 yards. F*ckers wouldn't block!!! :D

OUmillenium
3/10/2011, 11:45 AM
This thread = Fail