PDA

View Full Version : GOP: Limit Voting Rights of College Students

sooner59
3/9/2011, 02:10 AM
Guess they are getting tired of them voting Democrat. I guess voting age should be increased to 25 or so. :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110308/ts_yblog_theticket/ahead-of-the-2012-campaign-states-debate-voting-rights

If some GOP lawmakers get their way, it could be a whole lot tougher for people across the country to cast a ballot in the upcoming 2012 presidential election.

Boosted by major electoral gains in state legislatures nationwide in the 2010 campaign, Republican lawmakers in 32 states are pushing measures that would require citizens to show a state identification or proof of citizenship to vote. Meanwhile, in New Hampshire, GOP lawmakers are proposing new limits on college students who vote in the state, potentially eliminating a key base of electoral support for Democrats in the state ahead of the upcoming presidential election.

As the Washington Post's Peter Wallsten writes, the measures have set off a partisan battle over voting rights across the country, with Democrats accusing Republicans of trying to suppress voters, including young people and minorities, who would cast their ballots for President Obama and other Democratic candidates next year.

In New Hampshire, Republicans are pushing to end rules that allow same-day voter registration in the state, which has often provided key swing votes for candidates from all parties in the state. State GOP lawmakers are also proposing new limits on students, including a bill that would allow them to vote in college towns only if they or their parents had established permanent residency in the state.

Some GOP lawmakers in New Hampshire have billed the measures as an attempt to crack down on voter fraud in the state--but recent remarks from the newly elected GOP state House speaker have suggested otherwise.

In a recent speech to a tea party group in the state, House Speaker William O'Brien described college voters as "foolish." "Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he said, in remarks that were videotaped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students, he said, lack "life experience" and "just vote their feelings."

GOP lawmakers in the state have distanced themselves from O'Brien's remarks.

"It's a war on voting," Thomas Bates, vice president of Rock the Vote, a youth voter-registration group, told the Post. "We'd like to be advocating for a 21st-century voting system, but here we are fighting against efforts to turn it back to the 19th century."

Meanwhile, Republicans have also revived measures that have been debated on and off over the last several election cycles that would require voters to provide state-issued IDs at the polls.

In Wisconsin, GOP lawmakers are moving forward with legislation that would block students from using school-issued identification to verify their identity at the polls. Meanwhile, in North Carolina, Republicans are preparing to introduce a similar measure requiring state IDs--a plan that the North Carolina Board of Elections has said could be problematic for African-American voters, a key base of support for Obama in 2008.

jdsooner
3/9/2011, 02:32 AM
If they had their way, only white male Republicans over the age of 50 could vote.

Mongo
3/9/2011, 03:00 AM
I say we repeal women's suffrage first. That would solve alot of problems rilly quickly

yermom
3/9/2011, 03:02 AM
Meanwhile, in North Carolina, Republicans are preparing to introduce a similar measure requiring state IDs--a plan that the North Carolina Board of Elections has said could be problematic for African-American voters, a key base of support for Obama in 2008.

would someone please explain this to me??

as for the other thing. my god, it's bad enough you won't let adults under 21 drink.

yankee
3/9/2011, 03:21 AM
This is why I'm fed up with our leaders as a whole. I'm a "kid". I'm not even 21 yet and I am not a Liberal. While I would feel safe in saying most people around my age are liberal-leaning, it's not fair being lumped in with them. And I'm sure the other millions of people my age who aren't liberal feel the same way.

yermom
3/9/2011, 03:24 AM
someone needs to motivate your age group to vote and lower the drinking age

you can't shotgun a beer, but you can buy a real shotgun

sooner59
3/9/2011, 03:29 AM
I owned a shotgun at age 6. Yeah it was a 4-10, but still. :D

And I agree, 18 to vote, 18 to go to war......18 to drink isn't that unreasonable. 18 year olds are going to get it anyway if they want it.

Crucifax Autumn
3/9/2011, 06:38 AM
This actually makes me think of a quote in RLIMC's sig....

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2011, 06:48 AM
Don't you have to be a legal resident of any state in order to vote there? Isn't that why they have absentee ballots?

Whet
3/9/2011, 07:18 AM
Potential voters should show a government issued ID to vote. Same day register & vote should not be allowed because of voter fraud. This was a George Soros sponsored idea, need I say more. You must be a legal resident of the precint you wish to vote. Thr democrats/Soros groups want as few restrictions as they can get to improve their opportunities to win elections by any means necessary.

sooner n houston
3/9/2011, 08:14 AM
I'm all for all the idea's stated in the article.

I wonder how many lives have been saved by raising the drinking age to 21. And military folks can buy alcohol at 18.

XingTheRubicon
3/9/2011, 08:44 AM
You shouldn't be able to speak out loud until you've paid at least 10K in federal income taxes, let alone vote.

Opinions from people who still have their car insurance paid for by their parents are pretty much useless. It is also shocking that the vast majority of those still on the teet are liberals.

delhalew
3/9/2011, 08:46 AM
Are you saying college kids aren't foolish?

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 08:54 AM
Guess they are getting tired of them voting Democrat. I guess voting age should be increased to 25 or so. :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110308/ts_yblog_theticket/ahead-of-the-2012-campaign-states-debate-voting-rights

i'd say at least 35.

Soonerfan88
3/9/2011, 09:28 AM
I don't support his views on college students but do think the proposals have merit.

No one should be able to vote in just whatever precinct/town/state they happen to be on election day. As already said, absentee voting is for those who are not currently at their home of record.

Same day registration? Horrible idea IMO and not available anywhere I have lived. If you don't get registered several weeks in advance, too bad you aren't voting this time.

I have never understood the argument against required IDs for voters. Exactly what is keeping anyone from having one? I don't believe I've ever heard of one being more than $20. If that $20 is too much and they don't have a way to the DMV, then folks like Soros & his Moveon.org need to make that part of their platform instead of wasting money on attack ads.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 09:35 AM
I don't support his views on college students but do think the proposals have merit.

No one should be able to vote in just whatever precinct/town/state they happen to be on election day. As already said, absentee voting is for those who are not currently at their home of record.

Same day registration? Horrible idea IMO and not available anywhere I have lived. If you don't get registered several weeks in advance, too bad you aren't voting this time.

I have never understood the argument against required IDs for voters. Exactly what is keeping anyone from having one? I don't believe I've ever heard of one being more than $20. If that $20 is too much and they don't have a way to the DMV, then folks like Soros & his Moveon.org need to make that part of their platform instead of wasting money on attack ads.

I don't have a problem with requiring an ID....but it must be free...that $20 would be considered a poll tax to many...

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 09:37 AM
I don't have a problem with requiring an ID....but it must be free...that $20 would be considered a poll tax to many...

agree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REDREX
3/9/2011, 09:38 AM
Like they say in Chicago---"Vote early and vote often"

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 09:58 AM
well, since now my insurance is REQUIRED to cover my "kid" until he is 26 maybe we should make it a two way street.

just kidding, adults should be able to vote at age 18 (at THEIR registered precinct or thru absentee) but I am still pissed that our therapeutic....everything is free....culture decided that "kids" should be covered under their parents insurance until age 26.

yermom
3/9/2011, 10:01 AM
kids can be covered. i'm pretty sure there's nothing forcing one to cover their kids that long

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 10:05 AM
Insurance companies must allow children to stay on their parent's insurance plans until age 26th.

from an old cbs news link.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:12 AM
That states that the insurance company must accept the kids till 26...doesn't say the parents have to insure the twerp...

At what age do you get the fine for not having insurance?

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 10:14 AM
It's a choice for me but a requirement on the insurance company. That was my original point.

bigfatjerk
3/9/2011, 10:15 AM
That states that the insurance company must accept the kids till 26...doesn't say the parents have to insure the twerp...

At what age do you get the fine for not having insurance?

That should be up to the individual. I haven't had insurance since I was out of high school at 19 and I haven't needed it.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:16 AM
It's a choice for me but a requirement on the insurance company. That was my original point.

No problem...as usual I missed out...

Do you know at what age they start dinging you if you don't have insurance?

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 10:17 AM
Do you know at what age they start dinging you if you don't have insurance?

Nope.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:19 AM
Nope.

Well, hell, what good are ya? ;)

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:26 AM
All I can find is that if you are a legal resident or a citizen you must have coverage or face a fine...

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 10:27 AM
I can look it up tonight.....right now I have to get back to producing the labor I have agreed to supply.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:28 AM
I can look it up tonight.....right now I have to get back to producing the labor I have agreed to supply.

Must be tough having to work for a living...

JohnnyMack
3/9/2011, 10:30 AM
The 24th and 26th amendments laugh at you people.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:41 AM
The 24th and 26th amendments laugh at you people.

Yes...

But the 1st says I can publicly state my views..

JohnnyMack
3/9/2011, 10:44 AM
Yes...

But the 1st says I can publicly state my views..

Of course you can, you make an illogical jump assuming I think otherwise.

This is simply distracting, costly pandering instead of doing the peoples work. Therefore I fully expect Sally Kern and/or Randy Brogdon to introduce similar legislation in Oklahoma by lunch today.

StoopTroup
3/9/2011, 10:45 AM
GOP is making friends everywhere. I'm not getting the feeling that they are in touch with the reality of most of us.

virginiasooner
3/9/2011, 10:48 AM
well, since now my insurance is REQUIRED to cover my "kid" until he is 26 maybe we should make it a two way street.

just kidding, adults should be able to vote at age 18 (at THEIR registered precinct or thru absentee) but I am still pissed that our therapeutic....everything is free....culture decided that "kids" should be covered under their parents insurance until age 26.

Insurance for your children between 21 and 26 is is not REQUIRED, it's an OPTION! Especially in this economy, where college kids are moving home because they can't find a job! Do you want the link to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary so you can compare the definitions?

And as to the voting issue, anything that gets people to vote is a GOOD thing. I remember filling out a census form in in residence at Walker Tower in 1980. That was where I lived and where I was registered to vote. And if a state is going to require a state issued photo ID (in lieu of a driver's license) in order to vote, it has to be free.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:49 AM
Of course you can, you make an illogical jump assuming I think otherwise.

This is simply distracting, costly pandering instead of doing the peoples work. Therefore I fully expect Sally Kern and/or Randy Brogdon to introduce similar legislation in Oklahoma by lunch today.

Just playin' along...

soonerscuba
3/9/2011, 10:49 AM
The voter fraud goblin is nothing more than the political parties making ghosts to scare the rubes. For example, between 2002 and 2007 there were 87 incidents of voter fraud, of those most were vote buying schemes in podunk districts for small time positions, the rest were felons trying to vote, etc.

Think of voter fraud in efficient market terms, one would be required to amass a very large number of people willing to take on prison time or fines should they be caught, then you would have to get them fake mailing addresses that would balance against a state database, and finally you would have to have each of them lie to polling worker, this would have to be done hundreds to thousands of times over to fix an election. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action compared to bribing an election official or tampering with voting machines, which would be more effective and involve a smaller number of people? There is nothing wrong with vigilance about voter fraud, but it isn't a widespread problem, and any "solutions" being cooked up by one party is always about politics and never about integrity.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:52 AM
Insurance for your children between 21 and 26 is is not REQUIRED, it's an OPTION! Especially in this economy, where college kids are moving home because they can't find a job! Do you want the link to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary so you can compare the definitions?

And as to the voting issue, anything that gets people to vote is a GOOD thing. I remember filling out a census form in in residence at Walker Tower in 1980. That was where I lived and where I was registered to vote. And if a state is going to require a state issued photo ID (in lieu of a driver's license) in order to vote, it has to be free.

It looks to me that the parents do not need to insure the kids....but if the kids don't have insurance do they have to pay the fine of 1% of salary?

If they don't have a salary does the fine revert to the parents?

Just askin....

Position Limit
3/9/2011, 10:56 AM
very well written soonerscuba. amazing the conclusions that can be drawn when a little common sense is applied. but where would the GOP be without their boggey men?

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/9/2011, 11:00 AM
If anything, the voting age should be lowered to 17 since 17 year olds are tried automatically as adults in many states.

HBick
3/9/2011, 11:01 AM

I wonder how many lives have been saved by raising the drinking age to 21. And military folks can buy alcohol at 18.

on a base, not off the base

HBick
3/9/2011, 11:04 AM
Also, in the 2008 election my age group, 18-24 voted higher than any time since the Vietnam War I believe.

I have a radical plan, lets prevent anyone who is over the age of 55, or retired from voting since you only care about yourself. Younger Dems and GOP members tend to vote for the future whereas old people only care about the present and immediate future because they know they'll be dead soon.

Sidebar: I would be willing to raise it to 60

NormanPride
3/9/2011, 11:14 AM
Oh man, be afraid. The young peoples are going to rise up and vote for Rock and or Roll for President, and then where will you be?

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/9/2011, 11:24 AM
You shouldn't be able to speak out loud until you've paid at least 10K in federal income taxes, let alone vote.

Opinions from people who still have their car insurance paid for by their parents are pretty much useless. It is also shocking that the vast majority of those still on the teet are liberals.
Can't tell if serious

3rdgensooner
3/9/2011, 11:24 AM
Oh man, be afraid. The young peoples are going to rise up and vote for Rock and or Roll for President, and then where will you be?As long as it's not RAP! Then we're DOOMED!

virginiasooner
3/9/2011, 11:27 AM
As long as it's not RAP! Then we're DOOMED!

I vote NO RAP!

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/9/2011, 11:28 AM
Jay-Z for president

virginiasooner
3/9/2011, 11:29 AM
very well written soonerscuba. amazing the conclusions that can be drawn when a little common sense is applied. but where would the GOP be without their boggey men?

The GOP would go the way of the Whigs and the Know-Nothings.

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/9/2011, 11:34 AM
The GOP would go the way of the Whigs and the Know-Nothings.
The Whigs have made a recent comeback, actually.

http://www.modernwhig.org/issues.html

yermom
3/9/2011, 11:49 AM
on a base, not off the base

maybe they should have to be in the military to vote too

soonercruiser
3/9/2011, 11:58 AM
GOP is making friends everywhere. I'm not getting the feeling that they are in touch with the reality of most of us.

There you go again...."most of us"!
Look at the last Congressional elections. What was the result?
What way of thinking got "the mandate"? What ideas?

Now you Libs are all for disallowing literally thousands of votes of service memeber overseas, arent you?? And you think that is OK? Every election is full of news of states not getting absentee ballots out to military members in time!
Some states even are holding those ballots aside and not allowing them to be counted!!!!! :mad: But, that's OK with you Libs! :rolleyes:

So - drop dead on the issue!
The initiatives are merely to encourage students to vote in their home districts. Let the evil Demoncrats bus in their dead voters anyway!
(The liberal college professors have the kids all brain-washed by the end of the first year.)

3rdgensooner
3/9/2011, 11:59 AM
So - drop dead on the issue!
The initiatives are merely to encourage students to vote in their home districts. Let the evil Demoncrats bus in their dead voters anyway!
(The liberal college professors have the kids all brain-washed by the end of the first year.)
You seem nice.

soonercruiser
3/9/2011, 12:05 PM
The voter fraud goblin is nothing more than the political parties making ghosts to scare the rubes. For example, between 2002 and 2007 there were 87 incidents of voter fraud, of those most were vote buying schemes in podunk districts for small time positions, the rest were felons trying to vote, etc.

Think of voter fraud in efficient market terms, one would be required to amass a very large number of people willing to take on prison time or fines should they be caught, then you would have to get them fake mailing addresses that would balance against a state database, and finally you would have to have each of them lie to polling worker, this would have to be done hundreds to thousands of times over to fix an election. Does this sound like a reasonable course of action compared to bribing an election official or tampering with voting machines, which would be more effective and involve a smaller number of people? There is nothing wrong with vigilance about voter fraud, but it isn't a widespread problem, and any "solutions" being cooked up by one party is always about politics and never about integrity.

Sure, sure....trust the government.
Like Eric Holder and the Justice Dept's failure to prosecure and open & closed voter intimidation case against the Black Panthers in Philly????
:rolleyes:

soonercruiser
3/9/2011, 12:09 PM
You seem nice.

You call the GOP names too?

3rdgensooner
3/9/2011, 12:10 PM
You call the GOP names too?
Please please please find one instance of me calling anyone "names".

NormanPride
3/9/2011, 12:15 PM
GOP is poopy

virginiasooner
3/9/2011, 12:37 PM
Sure, sure....trust the government.
Like Eric Holder and the Justice Dept's failure to prosecure and open & closed voter intimidation case against the Black Panthers in Philly????

Three black guys with a stick, in a majority black voting precinct, and what do you see in the background of their stock footage? WHITE PEOPLE LEAVING THE BUILDING AFTER VOTING. Please point out to me the voter intimidation.

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2011, 12:39 PM
If they had their way, only white male Republicans over the age of 50 could vote.

In!

HBick
3/9/2011, 12:39 PM
maybe they should have to be in the military to vote too

I only speak from experience, an 18 yr old marine came in the liquor store I work at and tried to buy booze and showed his military ID, and I had to double check with my manager.

Personally, if you serve your country, you should be able to drink at 18, then again I also think the drinking age should be 18 but that will never happen. Besides there would need to be federal funding (not happening) for alcohol awareness courses. All freshmen at OU are required to take them because of the young man who passed away a few years ago. Even though he was mixing whiskey and pills, but whatever, it's still good for kids who haven't done much drinking before college

HBick
3/9/2011, 12:40 PM
Also, in response to the poster who mentioned voting requirements being 50+ white males, I think you should be allowed to vote if you enjoy country music as well.

Veritas
3/9/2011, 12:48 PM
Evidently I'm the only person here that a) smells the bull**** in the original article and b) checks sources.

First:
A) The GOP want to get rid of same-day registration.
B) A member of the GOP says that college students lack life experience and vote their feelings.

These points are not ****ing related. Nobody in the GOP is trying to revoke the voting rights of college kids.

Second:
Here's a piece on the author, Holly Bailey, from Salon. Yup, Salon, a pretty lefty rag, ripping this author for having no journalistic standards:
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2009/04/26/anonymity

You're all debating an issue that doesn't exist.

royalfan5
3/9/2011, 12:51 PM

When have issues that actually exist been debated here?

yermom
3/9/2011, 12:53 PM
I only speak from experience, an 18 yr old marine came in the liquor store I work at and tried to buy booze and showed his military ID, and I had to double check with my manager.

Personally, if you serve your country, you should be able to drink at 18, then again I also think the drinking age should be 18 but that will never happen. Besides there would need to be federal funding (not happening) for alcohol awareness courses. All freshmen at OU are required to take them because of the young man who passed away a few years ago. Even though he was mixing whiskey and pills, but whatever, it's still good for kids who haven't done much drinking before college

i never heard the pills thing. that makes a lot more sense...

i just think the logic in deciding that an 18 year old has enough mental capability to decide to risk his life for his country, but not enough to elect a politician is just plain retarded

maybe you should have to be 25 before you can make that decision. the military is just exploiting young Americans who aren't old enough to make that commitment.

Veritas
3/9/2011, 12:56 PM
When have issues that actually exist been debated here?
Good point. Evidently evil Monsanto has succeeded in making people stupider via the ingestion of high-fructose corn syrup. :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
3/9/2011, 12:57 PM
Good point. Evidently evil Monsanto has succeeded in making people stupider via the ingestion of high-fructose corn syrup. :rolleyes:

You smell like pee.

Veritas
3/9/2011, 12:57 PM
You smell like pee.
That's because Kevin Trudeau told me to drink pregnant lady pee to loss weight. I think it's working.

3rdgensooner
3/9/2011, 01:01 PM
Flouride is to blame....for....everything.

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2011, 01:02 PM

Personally, if you serve your country, you should be able to drink at 18, then again I also think the drinking age should be 18 but that will never happen. Besides there would need to be federal funding (not happening) for alcohol awareness courses.

Oh, I see. Create problem; solve it.

yermom
3/9/2011, 01:03 PM
Evidently I'm the only person here that a) smells the bull**** in the original article and b) checks sources.

First:
B) A member of the GOP says that college students lack life experience and vote their feelings.

These points are not ****ing related. Nobody in the GOP is trying to revoke the voting rights of college kids.

Second:
Here's a piece on the author, Holly Bailey, from Salon. Yup, Salon, a pretty lefty rag, ripping this author for having no journalistic standards:

the GOP member stated an opinion, which some idiots agreed with. now we are arguing ;)

HBick
3/9/2011, 01:03 PM
i never heard the pills thing. that makes a lot more sense...

Well I was a freshman the following year, and quite a few people knew the kid. Really nice guy but wild.

And the reason by they instituted the alcohol policy on campus was because the following weekend after the young man lost his life, another fraternity had a pledge get sick. His roommate thought he was going to die from alcohol poisoning, panic induced after the one student's death was so fresh in everyone's mind.

That pretty much forced Boren to pass the alcohol policy. And that alcohol policy keeps changing, it's ridiculous what they can do now, but that's for another thread.

UT had a student die about a year after the kid from OU, and they are still a wet campus, but that's because of a variety of reasons.

soonerscuba
3/9/2011, 01:04 PM
Nobody in the GOP is trying to revoke the voting rights of college kids..They are very specifically trying to revoke the rights of college kids to vote if they make their parents the determining factor to residency. So it would be wholly possible to pay income tax to the state and not be allowed to input on your representation.

yermom
3/9/2011, 01:06 PM
Well I was a freshman the following year, and quite a few people knew the kid. Really nice guy but wild.

And the reason by they instituted the alcohol policy on campus was because the following weekend after the young man lost his life, another fraternity had a pledge get sick. His roommate thought he was going to die from alcohol poisoning, panic induced after the one student's death was so fresh in everyone's mind.

That pretty much forced Boren to pass the alcohol policy. And that alcohol policy keeps changing, it's ridiculous what they can do now, but that's for another thread.

UT had a student die about a year after the kid from OU, and they are still a wet campus, but that's because of a variety of reasons.

well, the OU kid's dad was a judge or something, wasn't he?

i'd agree though. their rules are a bit out of hand. can't you be expelled for like 3 alcohol related offenses, even off-campus?

i haven't really kept up with the changes. they really don't affect me all that much, even as a student :O

Fraggle145
3/9/2011, 01:08 PM

How do they get corn syrup out of soy beans? :confused:

yermom
3/9/2011, 01:10 PM
i'm fairly sure if Veritas knows anything, it's corn :D

Veritas
3/9/2011, 01:17 PM
i'm fairly sure if Veritas knows anything, it's corn :D
And I don't know much about that.

Veritas
3/9/2011, 01:18 PM
They are very specifically trying to revoke the rights of college kids to vote if they make their parents the determining factor to residency. So it would be wholly possible to pay income tax to the state and not be allowed to input on your representation.
Since when is the payment of income tax tied to representation?

virginiasooner
3/9/2011, 01:20 PM
They are very specifically trying to revoke the rights of college kids to vote if they make their parents the determining factor to residency. So it would be wholly possible to pay income tax to the state and not be allowed to input on your representation.

From Wikipedia:

The state has no general sales tax and no personal state income tax (the state does tax, at a 5 percent rate, income from dividends and interest) and the legislature has exercised fiscal restraint. Efforts to diversify the state's general economy have been ongoing.

In other words, New Hampshire doesn't have a state income tax, so your statement doesn't make sense.

soonerscuba
3/9/2011, 01:36 PM
Since when is the payment of income tax tied to representation?It isn't, but there is a pretty common refrain for the last two centuries that people residing within a jurisdiction fund and manage their gov't and deserve a voice within it.

From Wikipedia:

The state has no general sales tax and no personal state income tax (the state does tax, at a 5 percent rate, income from dividends and interest) and the legislature has exercised fiscal restraint. Efforts to diversify the state's general economy have been ongoing.

In other words, New Hampshire doesn't have a state income tax, so your statement doesn't make sense.My mistake on the income tax specifically, but I would contend that the point remains, directly or indirectly people residing in a state pay taxes that facilitate their gov't via property taxes or rents, and deserve a voice. I do admit there is a logic failure for people on the dole with this point.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 02:51 PM

If that is your concern you need to expand how voting rights...

There are many people that work in one state and live in another and they do not vote in the state in which they work....

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2011, 03:31 PM

When was it ever established that paying income tax in a state gives one a right to vote in that state? News to me.

EDIT: Sorry, Veritas. Didn't see your post.

It isn't, but there is a pretty common refrain for the last two centuries that people residing within a jurisdiction fund and manage their gov't and deserve a voice within it.

Baloney. People often pay income taxes in states for which they have no legal residence.

DIB
3/9/2011, 03:33 PM
No taxation without representation, or somesuch

Whet
3/9/2011, 03:36 PM
My mistake on the income tax specifically, but I would contend that the point remains, directly or indirectly people residing in a state pay taxes that facilitate their gov't via property taxes or rents, and deserve a voice. I do admit there is a logic failure for people on the dole with this point.
Even illegals or green carders? I don't think so! (that is assuming they pay any taxes under their real name and not using a forged SS number.

yermom
3/9/2011, 03:39 PM
No taxation without representation, or somesuch

unless you live in D.C.

Whet
3/9/2011, 03:49 PM
DC has a non-voting member of Congress.

yermom
3/9/2011, 03:52 PM
they don't seem to be too happy about it:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4377/washingtondctaxationlic.jpg

sooner59
3/9/2011, 03:52 PM
My fiance and I never had a problem voting while in college as we just did absentee ballots. I don't have a problem with people needing to show ID...I actually prefer it. I just thought it was bush league to target them based on which party they normally vote for. I know this is the south and Oklahoma is a conservative state, but I know many more college students that are republicans than democrats anyway.

Soonerfan88
3/9/2011, 04:50 PM

Please read again
State GOP lawmakers are also proposing new limits on students, including a bill that would allow them to vote in college towns only if they or their parents had established permanent residency in the state.

If the student has established permanent residency in the state, they will vote in that state. However, if the student is still listed as a non-resident and have their home of record still officially listed as their parents' they need to file an absentee ballot there.

soonercruiser
3/9/2011, 04:53 PM
Three black guys with a stick, in a majority black voting precinct, and what do you see in the background of their stock footage? WHITE PEOPLE LEAVING THE BUILDING AFTER VOTING. Please point out to me the voter intimidation.

Please look up the videos of the testimony before Congress.

soonercruiser
3/9/2011, 04:55 PM

First:

Second:

Got to agree with Veritas here.

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 05:05 PM

First of all I was talking about requiring the insurance company to cover 25 year old "dependents" on the parent's plan. I'm fine if companies want to offer that service but they shouldn't be required.

and no I don't need webster or the stupid little comment.

DIB
3/9/2011, 05:09 PM
First of all I was talking about requiring the insurance company to cover 25 year old "dependents" on the parent's plan. I'm fine if companies want to offer that service but they shouldn't be required.

and now I don't need webster or stupid little comment.

It is just a little weird that you are complaining about a situation that you are taking advantage of.

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 05:13 PM
I'm not taking advantage of it. My kid is 2.

DIB
3/9/2011, 05:17 PM
Nevermind.

MamaMia
3/9/2011, 05:18 PM
You should vote where you claim residency. Military people can vote absentee ballot for candidates in their home state.

That being said...I think only people who PAY taxes should be able to vote, unless they are legally/medically disabled, but sound of mind. The government should send out voting vouchers to TAXPAYING citizens to be turned in at the poll.

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 05:21 PM
Then why are you complaining about it?

because I am pooled together with folks (adults) that can now keep their dependents on their family plan rather than make them get their own plan. Since that 25 year old's premiums will be less (than having his own plan) it puts upward pressure on the premiums for the rest of the pool.

DIB
3/9/2011, 05:27 PM
because I am pooled together with folks (adults) that can now keep their dependents on their family plan rather than make them get their own plan. Since that 25 year old's premiums will be less (than having his own plan) it puts upward pressure on the premiums for the rest of the pool.

It also will generally improve the overall health rating of the pool, which would put a downward pressure on premiums for the whole pool. That is the whole point of Obama's health care bill. If you force young, healthy people to get insurance, then you drive down the risk for the entire pool and thus the premiums.

virginiasooner
3/9/2011, 05:29 PM

Just because they CAN, doesn't mean they ARE. What would you prefer -- that an unemployed/underemployed 24 year old college grad with no health insurance come down with a catastrophic illness and go bankrupt, or to have said 24 year old continue under the parents' insurance until he can get his own when he gets a good job that provides health insurance? Or what if grown-up adult child has a 'pre-existing condition' like diabetes, or a childhood cancer. Getting insurance separate from their parents is next to impossible.

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 05:30 PM
If the 25 year old gets his own insurance plan he pays a higher premium than if he gets treated like a dependent from his parents/sponsor plan. His expected losses are fixed (from an actuarial standpoint) but his premiums are less. We all now have to pay more.

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 05:36 PM
What would you prefer -- that an unemployed/underemployed 24 year old college grad with no health insurance come down with a catastrophic illness and go bankrupt, or to have said 24 year old continue under the parents' insurance until he can get his own when he gets a good job that provides health insurance?.

No one is keeping that 24 year old from getting his own plan. He just has to pay for it......and if he attended college for the last 6 years than he has/had the money or support to buy his own plan. Health insurance is a lot cheaper than tuition......he made a choice.

DIB
3/9/2011, 05:39 PM
If the 25 year old gets his own insurance plan he pays a higher premium than if he gets treated like a dependent from his parents/sponsor plan. His expected losses are fixed (from an actuarial standpoint) but his premiums are less. We all now have to pay more.

True, but most college kids, if they are not on their parents plan, will have no insurance. This is usually not a case of individual plan at a higher premium vs. group plan with a lower premium. It is much more complicated. In general it is lower risk with less of premium contribution. Depending on the group size and age of the pool this could react in raising or lower of premiums. O

bama is trying to force young healthy adults to get insurance, when many would not otherwise purchase it. Many of these young adults would have likely have to purchase higher rate individual plans. This would simultaneously reduce overall risk and increase overall contribution, which would lower premiums of older and unhealthier people.

GKeeper316
3/9/2011, 06:07 PM

safety is subordinate to the interest of liberty.

soonercoop1
3/9/2011, 06:23 PM

People should have to pass a test similar to what immigrants must pass to become a citizen....that would weed a few out...:)

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/9/2011, 06:55 PM

If he didnt get insurance, he still gets treated. But since he cant pay, you still pay. Just through taxes or higher premiums. You dont think the hospitals, drs, etc are going to eat the loss do you?

Sooner5030
3/9/2011, 07:03 PM
If he didnt get insurance, he still gets treated. But since he cant pay, you still pay. Just through taxes or higher premiums. You dont think the hospitals, drs, etc are going to eat the loss do you?

treating uninsured folks is another debate in itself......as is how treatments are performed without clearly explaining the costs to the customer. That's the main problem with the bill. You already had 4,000 variables and you just re-arranged them to suit your political financial backing. Leeches will still get over, crony relationships between vendors and medicine will still exist, attorneys will still get +50% of punitive damages and healthcare expenses will continue to rise per/person/claim faster than inflation.

bigfatjerk
3/10/2011, 10:47 AM

Yeah and the Dems are in touch with reality too. Just listen to the crap Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have spewed the last year. "Unemployment benefits give us more jobs,"

It's the nature of elitist politicians today to be out of touch. And about 90% of these politicians are out of touch elitists.

I'm against voting rights stuff these states are trying to past. The only laws against voting is age at 18. Making people show IDs is stupid.

Whet
3/10/2011, 11:06 AM
You must show an ID to board a plane, get a passport, cash a check, sometimes using a credit card, buy a car, rent an apartment, get a mortgage, buy booze, get into a bar, and several other instances.

But, you think it is stupid to require an ID to vote? You are ok with voter fraud?

Veritas
3/10/2011, 11:42 AM
It's the nature of elitist politicians today to be out of touch. And about 90% of these politicians are out of touch elitists.
Ironically that's the same percentage of statistics that are made up on the spot.

Leroy Lizard
3/10/2011, 11:59 AM
safety is subordinate to the interest of liberty.

Not quite. You can't discard one for the sake of the other is all.

CrimsonCream
3/10/2011, 02:31 PM
You dont think the hospitals, drs, etc are going to eat the loss do you?

Oh yes we do.

StoopTroup
3/10/2011, 02:47 PM
Yeah and the Dems are in touch with reality too. Just listen to the crap Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have spewed the last year. "Unemployment benefits give us more jobs,"

I'm against voting rights stuff these states are trying to past. The only laws against voting is age at 18. Making people show IDs is stupid.

Nancy and Harry are so 2010.

virginiasooner
3/10/2011, 02:57 PM
You must show an ID to board a plane, get a passport, cash a check, sometimes using a credit card, buy a car, rent an apartment, get a mortgage, buy booze, get into a bar, and several other instances.

But, you think it is stupid to require an ID to vote? You are ok with voter fraud?

No, it's not stupid. If a state is going to require a state issued ID to vote, then the state needs to provide it FOR FREE. Otherwise, it's a poll tax, which is unconstitutional. And the way to pay for this free state ID is to slap non-voters with a fine (I am not so delusional as to think this will ever happen in this country).

Voter fraud is miniscule in this country so I don't worry about it. I'm more worried about legitimate voters being DENIED the right to vote. And I would like to know why you are not.

cccasooner2
3/10/2011, 03:13 PM
I say we repeal women's suffrage first. That would solve alot of problems rilly quickly

Agree, they have been suffraging too long now. Time to put an end to it.

cccasooner2
3/10/2011, 03:16 PM

Nope, just consumer fraud.