Mjcpr
3/8/2011, 07:57 PM
Meh.

Harris County Sooner
3/8/2011, 08:00 PM
He sounds a bit Canadian.

Curly Bill
3/8/2011, 08:00 PM
Didn't he use to play for the Dallas Cowboys?

...and his dad for the Giants?

:D

GDC
3/8/2011, 08:06 PM
I like Howard David who does NFL on the radio.

bixby28
3/8/2011, 08:11 PM
Toby Rowland. Not sure if he has the resume to even get an offer, but I think the guy would do a decent job.

salth2o
3/8/2011, 08:36 PM
He sounds like a hockey guy.

soonerborn45
3/8/2011, 08:40 PM
The final two are down to Carpenter and Rowland. Carpenter has the resume no doubt but Rowland would do a very good job. There have been several indications that he would be the man for the job. With everything that he has been doing with OU lately it just seems right. Sure he has never done anything like this before but lets face it the guy is only 36 you have to start somewhere and with him being well liked within the administration, I could see it being him. Carpenter would be a good choice too. As long as its not Chuck Kelly.

picasso
3/8/2011, 08:43 PM
I'll take Carpenter. He's done a great job filling in for BB and he's a Tulsa guy.

birddog
3/8/2011, 08:43 PM
i like howard stern but carpenter'll do.

prrriiide
3/8/2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry for the word walls...that's the way they are on the web sites too...

Bob Carpenter enters his 3rd season with MASN and the Nationals after 10 years in the TV booth of the St. Louis Cardinals and more than 20 in the major leagues. The St. Louis native debuted in 1984 with Cardinals baseball on the Sportstime Cable Network, then returned in '95 on KPLR-TV and KMOX Radio. He has been nominated for four St. Louis/Mid-America Emmys, winning twice (1996 and '97). His signature home run call "See ... you ... later!" got local and national recognition during Mark McGwire's record-setting home run chase in '98. Carpenter also appeared on TV in the '80s and '90s with Texas, New York (NL) and Minnesota. One of sports broadcasting's busiest announcers, Bob worked MLB, college basketball and college football during 18 season of play-by-play with ESPN from 1988-2005. He has broadcast baseball playoffs, Triple-A All-Star Games, NCAA and NIT Basketball Tournaments and College Football bowl games. His studio work included College Gameday and College Football Scoreboard shows. During his tenure with ESPN, Carpenter was paired with former major leaguers Buck Martinez, Joe Morgan, Jim Palmer, Ray Knight, Jerry Reuss, Frank Viola and many others. On the basketball side, he worked with Dick Vitale, Bill Raftery, Larry Conley, Jim Valvano among others. Carpenter announced the 2005 NCAA Basketball Final Four in his hometown of St. Louis for NCAA International TV. Prior to ESPN, Bob handled a variety of sports for USA Network, including college hasketball and football, PGA Golf (including The Masters) and professional tennis (including the U.S. Open). Bob has announced numerous soccer events at RFK Stadium, starting as the TV voice of Team America in 1983. He also worked several matches during the 1994 World Cup. Carpenter began his broadcasting career in 1976 as baseball play-by-play announcer with the Tulsa Oilers, then St. Louis' Triple-A affiliate. Carpenter earned a Radio-TV-Film degree with honors from the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 1975. Bob and Debbie, his wife of 28 years, have 2 daughters, Katie and Allison.http://masnsports.com/2007/08/bob-carpenter.html

One of the nation's most versatile sportscasters, Bob Carpenter is in his 4th year as the TV Voice of the Washington Nationals Baseball Club. He is also the TV voice for Oklahoma Mens and Womens Basketball and Coaches Shows, and appears weekly on The Sports Animal, AM 1550 and 97.1 FM in Tulsa. In an 18-year career with ESPN, he was a mainstay of the network’s coverage of College Basketball and Major League Baseball. Bob was the voice of Conference USA and the Mountain West for 8 years, and did numerous NIT’s, Maui Invitationals and Great Alaska Shootouts. Bob has been courtside for 7 NCAA Tournaments; 5 on ESPN, one on CBS and the 2005 Final 4 for NCAA International. Carpenter started with ESPN in 1988 and handled play-by-play of College Football, then in '89 moved into the studio as the first host of College Gameday and the College Football Scoreboard shows. ESPN obtained the rights to Major League Baseball in 1990, and Bob did ESPN baseball for 16 years. He has also called the College World Series, Triple-A All-Star Games, hosted Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies and served as reporter on two Major League Baseball Expansion Drafts. Bob designed and markets a baseball Scorebook for broadcasters that has become the industry standard, used by hundreds of major league, minor league and college announcers around the nation A native of St. Louis, the 26-year Major League Baseball veteran has made stops in the broadcast booths of the St. Louis Cardinals, Texas Rangers, New York Mets and Minnesota Twins. Carpenter was nominated for a New York Emmy with the Mets in '93, then won Mid-America Emmys for his Cardinals work in '96 and ‘97, and was nominated in ‘98 and ‘01. He was recently nominated for a Washington-Baltimore Emmy for his work with the Nationals in 2008. He has teamed with Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith in the Cardinals broadcast booth, and has worked on ESPN with Hall of Famers Bob Gibson, Jim Palmer and Joe Morgan. Between 1982-88, Bob appeared on a variety of events for USA Network: basketball, football, boxing, pro soccer, tennis (including the U.S. Open) and golf (including The Masters). Other career highlights include six college football bowl games and the World Cup Soccer Tournament for ESPN in 1982 and '96. An accomplished public speaker, Carpenter has been active with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes in Tulsa and St. Louis, has emceed functions for the Tulsa Area United Way and Union Schools Education Foundation and has served as corporate spokesman for several Tulsa and St. Louis corporations.. Bob's sportscasting travels have taken him to 48 states, Canada, the Caribbean and Japan. He has worked with sports legends Angelo Dundee, Pat Summerall and Ken Venturi, plus Olympians Bart Conner and Janet Evans. Carpenter was a 1971 graduate of McBride High School in St. Louis, and graduated with honors from the University of Missouri-Kansas City in 1975 with a degree in Radio-TV-Film. Bob and Debbie, married 30 years, live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, with daughters Katie and Allison.http://www.speakersinoklahoma.com/speakers-bureau/bob-carpenter/

Looks like a really well-respected guy, maybe a little heavy on the baseball, but would probably be a really good fit for OU.

BudsBoy
3/8/2011, 09:30 PM
Toby Rowland. Not sure if he has the resume to even get an offer, but I think the guy would do a decent job.

Yes for me also. Carpenter puts me to sleep.

Sooner74
3/8/2011, 09:32 PM
Sorry for the word walls...that's the way they are on the web sites too...

http://masnsports.com/2007/08/bob-carpenter.html

http://www.speakersinoklahoma.com/speakers-bureau/bob-carpenter/

Looks like a really well-respected guy, maybe a little heavy on the baseball, but would probably be a really good fit for OU.

If he is good at baseball, football is going to be an easy transition. Baseball to me is a more technical sportcasting position and you actually have to know quite a bit. I like Carpenter a lot.

SCOUT
3/8/2011, 09:33 PM
Is he able to announce the actual names of the players and the events in which they are participating? If so, good for me.

Curly Bill
3/8/2011, 10:10 PM
Is he able to announce the actual names of the players and the events in which they are participating? If so, good for me.

:D

That will be an improvement.

Xunil
3/8/2011, 10:19 PM
I've played golf a few times with Carpenter and he's a great guy. If it's him he will represent the University well.

Mazeppa
3/8/2011, 10:20 PM
If the person/people who do the hiring cared what the fans thought BBS would not have had that job after the 2000 season.

Collier11
3/8/2011, 10:33 PM
Carpenter is very solid

stoops the eternal pimp
3/8/2011, 10:36 PM
I think he is a good baseball and basketball guy.. Not so much football..

Soonerfan88
3/8/2011, 10:57 PM
I understood that the position was going to become much more than just PBP announcer with the new network. Maybe they are going to hire both to cover the expanded duties?

AlbqSooner
3/9/2011, 06:48 AM
If Carpenter gets the job, will we have Karen at some of our games?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2011, 09:48 AM
If Carpenter gets the job, will we have Karen at some of our games?

She is praying she gets to attend....looks like she has put on some weight since death

http://www.vlvstamps.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/2/12622_1.jpg

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 10:01 AM
Her brother's last popular song; "she ain't heavy, she's my sister".

Soonerwake
3/9/2011, 10:49 AM
She is praying she gets to attend....looks like she has put on some weight since death

http://www.vlvstamps.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/2/12622_1.jpg

There are so many reasons that is wrong...but it sure is funny....:D

Sooner Tri
3/9/2011, 10:54 AM
Has anyone said if Merv Johnson will be back with the new PBP guy? I really enjoy listening to his insight and inside perspective.

MrJimBeam
3/9/2011, 11:44 AM

Has Carpenter ever done radio football?

tfoolry
3/9/2011, 12:27 PM
The Boz. He did play-by-play for an OU game on TBS several yrs. ago & it was definitely entertaining.

fwsooner22
3/9/2011, 12:42 PM
I want to be able to understand what he is saying and have it add something to the experience....if that happens I will not complain. Oh, and I won't be embarrassed for my university anymore, either.

HBick
3/9/2011, 12:43 PM
I think Mark Rodgers will do it. He can at least pronounce names.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/9/2011, 12:48 PM
The info is based on some pretty good sources...Not who I think it will be

sooner KB
3/9/2011, 01:21 PM
I don't know anything about the guy since I never listen to 1400 AM, but their website says that Myron Patton has experience doing play by play, and he graduated from OU.

CobraKai
3/9/2011, 04:06 PM
I would be happy with Carpenter

okienole3
3/9/2011, 11:13 PM
Thulin

KNEE BRACE
3/10/2011, 02:29 AM
bob carpenter doesn't know a goddamn thing about baseball and he's been doing it forever. PASS.

BigJerm7
3/10/2011, 06:17 AM
i quit calling mazzios to order pizza just because of bob carpenter's annoying voice.

Crimsontothecore
3/10/2011, 07:42 AM
I know Carpenter is a good guy but he likes to hear himself talk. Several years ago the "Sports Buzz" in Tulsa had him on every afternoon and I swear that's when I stopped listening. The guy just never stops talking and nobody else gets a word in edgewise. What makes it so bad is that he can turn what should be a one sentence reply into a 30 minute explanation. He thinks a lot of his own opinion.
However, this in no way means he wouldn't make a good PBP guy.

StoopTroup
3/10/2011, 07:59 AM
I'm sitting here wondering why I care....I haven't listened to the play by play for years now.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/10/2011, 09:36 AM
I give you the play by play at the tailgate

Soonerwake
3/10/2011, 09:51 AM
I give you the play by play at the tailgate

And we are all so entertained... Of course, its usually PBP of ur exploits in the porta-john, or how Collier won't leave u alone, blah, blah...

Now if setem could do a PBP of the making of the crab salad, that might be some good stuff..

boomerinhou
3/10/2011, 03:47 PM

He does sound more like a baseball announcer, which he is doing now. I just don't think his voice has the enthusiasm for football. If he calls a football game like he does baseball, the broadcasts will be very boring and bland.

I think OU should think out-of-the-box and consider a national talent versus the local yokels. OU needs to consider a talent that will make the broadcasts exciting again. A talent with the desire to give real insight, versus just calling what you see on the field...not as an analyst, but really knowing the players versus repeating what's in the media guide. Something to make you want to lower the TV volume and listen to the radio.

OU is a "top-national" program. We need an announcer team that reflects that, not a local sports broadcaster who wants the job. I just don't think Bob Carpenter (or anyone else I've heard in Oklahoma) is that type of guy.

The Maestro
3/10/2011, 04:56 PM
I'm sitting here wondering why I care....I haven't listened to the play by play for years now.

This.

If you are like me you grew up listening to Disco Brooks because only 2 or 3 OU games were televised each year. Now every game is...and with the advent of HD and the crappy quality of radio sound, the old tradition of turning down the sound and turning up the radio is even dead. BBS doing PBP for so long has something to do with that, but not NEAR as many people bring radio's to listen to the game at the game anymore since stats and replays are shown updated and immediately.

This used to be a sexy gig and whoever gets it will be tickled. But the audience is probably not 25% of what it used to be even 20 years ago.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/10/2011, 05:08 PM
What?

stoopified
3/10/2011, 07:55 PM
Works for me

sozo
3/11/2011, 01:24 AM
Nice to know that IF I ever had to listen to the radio for any reason it would be Carpenter and I could tell what was going on!Did he not also do the Tulsa Rufnecks years ago on tv or am I having a senior moment?

bigfatjerk
3/11/2011, 12:24 PM
He does sound more like a baseball announcer, which he is doing now. I just don't think his voice has the enthusiasm for football. If he calls a football game like he does baseball, the broadcasts will be very boring and bland.

I think OU should think out-of-the-box and consider a national talent versus the local yokels. OU needs to consider a talent that will make the broadcasts exciting again. A talent with the desire to give real insight, versus just calling what you see on the field...not as an analyst, but really knowing the players versus repeating what's in the media guide. Something to make you want to lower the TV volume and listen to the radio.

OU is a "top-national" program. We need an announcer team that reflects that, not a local sports broadcaster who wants the job. I just don't think Bob Carpenter (or anyone else I've heard in Oklahoma) is that type of guy.

He's been working for the MLB for about 30 years and was on ESPN for both basketball and football for decades also. I don't think he does much college football anymore. I think he still does a few college basketball games each year though.

SunnySooner
3/11/2011, 02:22 PM
Radio's still a pretty big deal for all us Sooners in exile...less of a problem getting the games with ESPN3 and all that crap, but sometimes, the only way you can experience our utter annihilation of East Tennessee School for the Blind, and really, who doesn't enjoy that!??!, is internet radio.

I don't know who should be 'da guy', he just needs to love the Sooners as much as BBS, he'll do fine then.

Chuck Bao
3/11/2011, 02:29 PM
Radio's still a pretty big deal for all us Sooners in exile...less of a problem getting the games with ESPN3 and all that crap, but sometimes, the only way you can experience our utter annihilation of East Tennessee School for the Blind, and really, who doesn't enjoy that!??!, is internet radio.

I don't know who should be 'da guy', he just needs to love the Sooners as much as BBS, he'll do fine then.

I agree with Sunny, completely.

Sooner70
3/13/2011, 07:12 AM
Whoever they get, wonder if Merv Johnson stays on board? Hope so....I like Merv. He's blunt & concise. Has good insights. Kinda like having Bob Stoops in the booth.

texaspokieokie
3/13/2011, 08:56 AM
Agree with 70 !!!!!

FenwayFaithfulSooner
3/13/2011, 09:11 PM
I agree. Keep Merv and have Carpenter calling games. That will work and Carpenter is well respected nationally.

OU-HSV
3/13/2011, 10:40 PM
When are they making this decision?