PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tressel suspend a whole .... 2 games and fined.

SoonerShay
3/8/2011, 07:15 PM
250,000 smacks for violating the rules. Just saw it on ESPN, will go and find a link now.

And I have one http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6194162

jumperstop
3/8/2011, 07:17 PM
Now they should have an online poll to determine which two games he misses.

rekamrettuB
3/8/2011, 07:22 PM
This paragraph needs to be absorbed while the NCAA sits back on this one.

In May of 2009, The Columbus Dispatch reported that since 2000, Ohio State had reported to the NCAA more than 375 violations -- the most of any of the 69 Football Bowl Subdivision schools that provided documents to the newspaper through public-records requests. Most of the infractions were minor and resulted in little or no punishment.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/8/2011, 07:23 PM
Good for Ohio State with the fine.

JLEW1818
3/8/2011, 07:32 PM
Do you think Jim has a tat?

MyT Oklahoma
3/8/2011, 07:32 PM
Life is tough when you bend the rules that much. :rolleyes:

Jason Alexander
3/8/2011, 07:33 PM
You have to wonder if their third game wasn't against Miami, would he still would have been suspended for two games.

JLEW1818
3/8/2011, 07:36 PM
I Honestly think he is going to resign this year.

agoo758
3/8/2011, 07:38 PM
This is too small an issue to resign over unless the university makes it a big deal, though I doubt it. He is easily the greatest thing that has ever happened to them since Woody Hayes.

Scott D
3/8/2011, 07:40 PM
I Honestly think he is going to resign this year.

after Brady Hoke leads Michigan to a win over them.

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2011, 07:46 PM
So, Ohio State should vacate all wins from last year?

I think so...since nothing was done about it until December! I also think the NCAA should modify the five game suspension of the 5 players and make it the entire season!

Those guys were getting improper benefits for a long time!

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2011, 07:50 PM
Clarrett in 2002
Smith in 2004
And 5 guys in 2010.

Not to mention espn says they have had 375 violations since 2000.

Want to talk about a athletic department that is showing lack of institutional control!!!!

Sabanball
3/8/2011, 07:50 PM
"Pryor Knowledge"(I want $1 royalty from now on out every time anyone uses that phrase) and Tressel skates. Was anyone really surprised? I wasn't. Just another typical day at the office for the NCAA and their double standards.

If this had been Nick Saban or Bob Stoops, the national media would be calling for his firing and we would NEVER hear the end of it....

CBUS_SOONER
3/8/2011, 08:10 PM
The Vest always get off ez. He didnt share info to protect kids... He did it because he thought they could run the table. What are some punishments for major violations

CBUS_SOONER
3/8/2011, 08:14 PM
amazing!!!! A lot of the talk(radio/friends/coworkers) in cbus today, people are blaming the five players more than Tre$$

btb916
3/8/2011, 08:17 PM
What does it mean to suspend a coach? In other words, when will the penalty take effect -- a week before the first game? The night before? Can he help prepare, but not come to the game?

Soonerfan88
3/8/2011, 08:19 PM
That's just the penalty from Ohio State - trying to show the NCAA they are tough on violations. I think the NCAA will increase the penalty.

SoonerStormchaser
3/8/2011, 08:36 PM
I will personally go and help the Acorn Aggie faithful do what they do best and BURN THAT SCHOOL TO THE GROUND the day the NCAA finally drops the hammer on them.

MichiganSooner
3/8/2011, 08:40 PM
I'm trying to think of what we can chant or hold up signs regarding Tressel when we play them in a few years. Any ideas?

usaosooner
3/8/2011, 08:41 PM
Akron & Toledo are power houses

badger
3/8/2011, 08:42 PM
Mother Tressel: So you think your punishment should be no broccoli with dinner for two weeks, huh?

oumartin
3/8/2011, 08:43 PM
The AD made him promise he would return next year ala pryor and whomever tressel made do that. ;)

badger
3/8/2011, 08:44 PM
This is too small an issue to resign over unless the university makes it a big deal, though I doubt it. He is easily the greatest thing that has ever happened to them since Woody Hayes.

I wonder if Sweater Vest will have the same ending a tOSU

AlboSooner
3/8/2011, 08:46 PM
If this had occurred at OU, we would have been slapped with lack of institutional control, a SI cover, and an ESPN outside the line investigation. This guy not only did not report these, but also lied to the whole country, and acted like he was shocked when he learned. It must be nice to be in the inner circle of those teams the NCAA will never touch.

AlboSooner
3/8/2011, 08:49 PM
Jim Tressel was hired by Ohio State after John Cooper finished the 1999 and 2000 seasons unranked. In his time with the Buckeyes, Tressel has compiled an impressive resume:

• 106-22 in 10 seasons.

• Won 2002 BCS National Championship.

• 9-1 vs. Michigan, including seven straight wins.

• Eight BCS bowl berths with three BCS Championship Game appearances.

• In 2009, led Ohio State to its first Rose Bowl since 1996.

• Six straight 10 win seasons and eight overall.

• Seven Big Ten titles, including at least a share of six straight.

Yet, with the same type of resume, Bob Stoops gets criticized in the media. This bias is just ridiculous.

SoCal
3/8/2011, 08:57 PM
Jim Tressel should get the same penalty Dez Bryant got for lying to the NCAA.

Sabanball
3/8/2011, 09:01 PM
No matter what you think of him, this guy's perceived "pristine" , 'above the fray' image is gone....

badger
3/8/2011, 09:02 PM
Here's an idea Big Ten - take a cue from the SEC (holy cow the SEC actually gave a good punishment) and give Tressel the same punishment that the SEC gave Bruce Pearl for lying.

Suspend him for part of the CONFERENCE schedule. HALF of it. The FIRST HALF of it.

Sat. Oct. 1 MICHIGAN STATE
Sat. Oct. 8 at Nebraska
Sat. Oct. 15 at Illinois
Sat. Oct. 29 WISCONSIN

Four games, four MEANINGFUL games. Not hosting Akron and Toledo, the punishment issued by tOSU.

This would actually be perfect for the Big Ten, because unlike the other conferences lately, tOSU is permanently at the top with no off-years. It's time to punish, northernites. For your own good!

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2011, 09:09 PM
"Pryor Knowledge"(I want $1 royalty from now on out every time anyone uses that phrase) and Tressel skates. Was anyone really surprised? I wasn't. Just another typical day at the office for the NCAA and their double standards.

This isn't the NCAA's ruling. This is Ohio State's in an attempt to get the NCAA off their backs. It might or might not work.

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2011, 09:15 PM
"I have had a player murdered. I've had a player incarcerated. I've had a player get taken into the drug culture and lose his opportunity for a productive life," an emotional Tressel said, tears welling in his eyes, at a news conference on Tuesday night. "It was obviously tremendously concerning. Quite honestly, I was scared.

Gee, Tressel, maybe this should have been a clue that not all things are spiffy in Columbus these days.

And it isn't your job to protect these players; it's the police's. Your excuse is lame beyond belief.

Gee also said he had not considered dismissing the Buckeyes coach.

"No, are you kidding?" he said with a laugh. "Let me be very clear. I'm just hoping the coach doesn't dismiss me."

Gee, you're better than that. WTF?

BudSooner
3/8/2011, 09:20 PM
BREAKING NEWS! The divisions will hence forth be known as the "Legends&Liars" until further notice.

Scott D
3/8/2011, 09:24 PM
Gee, Tressel, maybe this should have been a clue that not all things are spiffy in Columbus these days.

And it isn't your job to protect these players; it's the police's. Your excuse is lame beyond belief.

Gee, you're better than that. WTF?

clearly your understanding of Ohio State Penitentiary is lacking.

ouduckhunter
3/8/2011, 09:26 PM
Weak, very weak! He had better hope he holds unto his job because I sure don't see a lucrative career on the speakers circuit for him! He droned on so long that I fell asleep.

Sooner74
3/8/2011, 09:26 PM
Can the NCAA be sued for treating schools with discrimination on it's rulings? I know you can't discriminate against people, but it seems like what they do is illegal.

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2011, 09:32 PM
clearly your understanding of Ohio State Penitentiary is lacking.

You misunderstand. Gee has more political savvy then to imply that he has no control over the athletic department.

Can the NCAA be sued for treating schools with discrimination on it's rulings? I know you can't discriminate against people, but it seems like what they do is illegal.

Let's do this again.

This is not the NCAA's ruling. The NCAA has not ruled on this latest issue.

Yes, you can sue. Your chances of winning are slim and none, and your chances of having the suit thrown out are pretty high. The NCAA is a self-governing body and I doubt the courts are interested in getting involved in its affairs unless the complaint is especially egregious.

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2011, 09:35 PM
Here's an idea Big Ten - take a cue from the SEC (holy cow the SEC actually gave a good punishment) and give Tressel the same punishment that the SEC gave Bruce Pearl for lying.

Suspend him for part of the CONFERENCE schedule. HALF of it. The FIRST HALF of it.

Sat. Oct. 1 MICHIGAN STATE
Sat. Oct. 8 at Nebraska
Sat. Oct. 15 at Illinois
Sat. Oct. 29 WISCONSIN

Four games, four MEANINGFUL games. Not hosting Akron and Toledo, the punishment issued by tOSU.

This would actually be perfect for the Big Ten, because unlike the other conferences lately, tOSU is permanently at the top with no off-years. It's time to punish, northernites. For your own good!

It doesn't matter. He's only suspended from the games, not the preparation. Any assistant coach can pull his game-day duties.

Curly Bill
3/8/2011, 09:46 PM
Ohio State is the power team in the Big 10. Ain't nothing too bad gonna happen to them.

SoCal
3/8/2011, 10:04 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AhRabDIHW_D1ixp6MHgVHLQcvrYF?slug=ys-osuprobe030711

The Columbus Dispatch reported on Jan. 2 that Pryor had been “stopped for traffic violations on three separate occasions while driving cars that were owned by a car salesman or a Columbus used-car lot where the salesman worked.” He’d also been allowed to test drive a car for the weekend to his home in Pennsylvania.

Archie said the school knew of two of the incidents and had deemed nothing improper. He said the school would investigate the third traffic stop in a borrowed car. There has been no update on that internal investigation.

badger
3/8/2011, 10:05 PM
It doesn't matter. He's only suspended from the games, not the preparation. Any assistant coach can pull his game-day duties.

I think all of Sooner Nation would join me in pressing the panic button if Bob Stoops wasn't on the sideline come gameday, regardless of how much prep work Bob himself had a hand in during the week.

SCOUT
3/8/2011, 10:06 PM
I think all of Sooner Nation would join me in pressing the panic button if Bob Stoops wasn't on the sideline come gameday, regardless of how much prep work Bob himself had a hand in during the week.

I would ask who we are playing before I agreed.

Curly Bill
3/8/2011, 10:07 PM

No kidding! Can you imagine BV being in charge? :eek:

badger
3/8/2011, 10:10 PM
Martinez at the gate checking to make sure every Sooner fan has gotten in their optional voluntary cheer time before they're allowed to watch the game :P

CarolinaSoonerFan
3/8/2011, 10:22 PM
Martinez at the gate checking to make sure every Sooner fan has gotten in their optional voluntary cheer time before they're allowed to watch the game :P

FUNNY!!!! But I would have to take the video of him asking.:)

PLaw
3/8/2011, 10:58 PM
This paragraph needs to be absorbed while the NCAA sits back on this one.

Say, if an OU coach had been guilty of this sort of infraction, the NCAA would be swinging the lack of institutional control hammer. And, no doubt, there would be a significant probation.

What a year for the NCAA. First, the ineligible Cam is allowed to compete. Now, let's see what they do to tOSU.

BOOMER

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2011, 11:39 PM
Ohio State is the power team in the Big 10. Ain't nothing too bad gonna happen to them.

Tell that to the posters at wearesc.com :D

SoonerJack
3/8/2011, 11:53 PM
I think that they should make the buckeyes wear black tape across their helmets as a visible manifestation of their cheating ways.

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2011, 12:02 AM

I wouldn't panic. I looked over at the West Virginia fans when we played them and they didn't look panicked at all. I figure that I am at least as brave as them.

I doubt replacement head coaches fare any worse than the regular head coach.
I think losing a coordinator is far more serious on Game Day.

SOONER STEAKER
3/9/2011, 12:09 AM
I think it is sad when a 'MAJOR PROGRAM" has too violates the rules. Can you imagine the pressure that coaches are under to get the best ATHLETES or keep then once they are on campus? Don't blame the coaches, blame people like ESPN and Rivals.com who make recruiting such a money making affair.

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2011, 12:21 AM
I think it is sad when a 'MAJOR PROGRAM" has too violates the rules. Can you imagine the pressure that coaches are under to get the best ATHLETES or keep then once they are on campus? Don't blame the coaches, blame people like ESPN and Rivals.com who make recruiting such a money making affair.

"My wife wanted the good life, so I had to steal."

Not much of an argument.

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2011, 12:23 AM
I'm surprised no one in here is making much of the college president's words.

No, are you kidding? Let me be very clear. I'm just hoping the coach doesn't dismiss me

That is some serious stuff to be coming from the head of a university.

CBUS_SOONER
3/9/2011, 07:09 AM

The guy is a complete idiot. He wears a bow tie and when he talks (TCU) he says stupid sh!t. He is truly out of touch with reality

SoCal
3/9/2011, 08:24 AM
here's the emails...

http://www.610wtvn.com/pages/template/tressels_emails_march2011.pdf

SoonerMom2
3/9/2011, 10:24 AM
Last night on ESPN radio when I was driving home I heard a guy being interviewed that was discussing that this investigation went further because of Yahoo sports and that these players should have been suspended at the beginning of the year and not played. Because Tressel lied to the NCAA they expect them to drop the hammer including lack of institutional control. Seems Tressel didn't tell anyone because one of the lawyers for one of the kids told him this was a federal investigation and not to say a word -- Brava Sierra in my book. He knew he couldn't win so he turned a blind eye.

Looks like what is leading to further investigation is one of the players involved saying they all knew the rules but did it anyway according to reports after the Bowl game.

ESPN's pundit with the person being interviewed expect The OSU to forfeit all games and the Bowl Game and much longer suspensions.

Also said the Auburn investigation is ongoing.

NCAA may be forced to hit both programs hard because of the lying and lack of institutional control.

Couldn't happen to a better coach or program as The OSU has been skirting the NCAA for years under Tressel.

Sabanball
3/9/2011, 11:37 AM

Sorry, I meant to say Gordon Gee and Jim Delaney--not the NCAA. Still, though, I'd be willing to bet almost anything that the NCAA gives a wink and a nod and you will never hear anymore about this from the mainstream media in the next news cycle.

OULenexaman
3/9/2011, 11:57 AM
here's the emails...

that was some good ****....this one is gonna leave a mark.:D :pop:

soonerloyal
3/9/2011, 02:20 PM
Say, if an OU coach had been guilty of this sort of infraction, the NCAA would be swinging the lack of institutional control hammer. And, no doubt, there would be a significant probation.

What a year for the NCAA. First, the ineligible Cam is allowed to compete. Now, let's see what they don't do to tOSU.

BOOMER

FIFY.

Jacie
3/9/2011, 03:27 PM
It keeps sounding worse and worse. Tressel may wind up bringing the whole program down, as bad as what SUC got in terms of lost scholarships, television/bowl bans. Incredible that a head coach at a high profile program like tOSU would be the focal point of the investigation.

cccasooner2
3/9/2011, 03:52 PM
It keeps sounding worse and worse. Tressel may wind up bringing the whole program down, as bad as what SUC got in terms of lost scholarships, television/bowl bans. Incredible that a head coach at a high profile program like tOSU would be the focal point of the investigation.

I can't imagine something like this happening to someone so blessed. ;)

SoonerMom2
3/9/2011, 03:54 PM
Urban Meyers to Ohio State! As more comes out -- Tressel had prior problems at Youngstown State, he is going to be too hot for Ohio State to handle. Saw Meyer rumored to go to Ohio State back when this happened and now I wonder if someone knew more then than they were saying.

Looks like he has lost the Columbus Dispatch already from reading their articles. He has been nothing but violations since landing on campus and the use of the car by Pryor is more widespread than Ohio State wanted to admit. Their investigative arm is a joke.

bmjlr
3/9/2011, 04:06 PM
here's the emails...

oops...:D :pop:

Salt City Sooner
3/9/2011, 04:43 PM
Schlabach tees off on tOSU:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=6195223

ouduckhunter
3/9/2011, 05:23 PM
You know who I feel sorry for in all this mess? Maurice Clarett!! Yes, he obviously had some issues, but tOSU sure threw him under the bus as quickly as they could and washed their hands of him. He became a laughing stock, and now come to find out, he wasn't the only one in their program doing shat! Clarett sure didn't get his violations brushed under the carpet like the current guys did, and his life sure took a turn for the worse after that. I hope that ESpin and others go back and interview him again and get more dirt on Tressel and the program.

badger
3/9/2011, 05:27 PM
You know who I feel sorry for in all this mess? Maurice Clarett!!

Anyone else think that the blacked out name in front of the parenthesis remarks "No surprise there! derp derp" was Clarett?

Scott D
3/9/2011, 06:15 PM

you underestimate the lunacy of Ohio State Penitentiary.

CBUS_SOONER
3/9/2011, 06:57 PM
You know who I feel sorry for in all this mess? Maurice Clarett!! Yes, he obviously had some issues, but tOSU sure threw him under the bus as quickly as they could and washed their hands of him. He became a laughing stock, and now come to find out, he wasn't the only one in their program doing shat! Clarett sure didn't get his violations brushed under the carpet like the current guys did, and his life sure took a turn for the worse after that. I hope that ESpin and others go back and interview him again and get more dirt on Tressel and the program.

I agree and have argued this here in columbus many times. That university exploited him.

CBUS_SOONER
3/9/2011, 06:59 PM
Like I have said before... I no people who have played and coached with/for tressel... They all love the man but said he cheats like a mo fo. I love tressel's books about character and stuff..lmfao

finster
3/9/2011, 07:35 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/1e3rih.jpg

DarrellZero
3/9/2011, 07:59 PM
here's the emails...

OK, let's see here ... Jim Tressel ... lying sack of **** ... check.

I love Bob Stoops, but if I ever heard about him lying like that I would never be able to look at him again.

Sabanball
3/9/2011, 10:24 PM
Maurice Clarette, Terrelle Pryor...is there a pattern here? I know I 'm leaving a name out...

badger
3/9/2011, 11:35 PM
Maurice Clarette, Terrelle Pryor...is there a pattern here? I know I 'm leaving a name out...

the biggest bs heisman in recent history, troy smith :mad:

CBUS_SOONER
3/10/2011, 07:30 AM

and the isaac kid at youngstown st. All those guys are the biggest names... Tressel also had many other thugs that broke the law and never got in trouble... Santonio Holmes, Chris Gamble, Steve Bellisari, etc... He has also had over 40 arrest in ten yrs.

SoCal
3/10/2011, 08:00 AM
A former Ohio State University football player has been identified as the lawyer who sent e-mails to coach Jim Tressel.

Christopher T. Cicero, 54, lettered in football at Ohio State in 1983...29 years old when he lettered. Dude likes to make it happen!!

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/03/09/tressel-attorney-ncaa-violations.html

OrlandoSooner
3/10/2011, 09:30 AM
A former Ohio State University football player has been identified as the lawyer who sent e-mails to coach Jim Tressel.

Christopher T. Cicero, 54, lettered in football at Ohio State in 1983...29 years old when he lettered. Dude likes to make it happen!!

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/03/09/tressel-attorney-ncaa-violations.html

It sounds like he is "on the up and up".

cccasooner2
3/10/2011, 09:50 AM
It sounds like he is "on the up and up".

Wow, typical non-relevant BS to discredit the allegations. I understand, Tressel is guilty of nothing. Just the rantings of a lunatic attorney.

OrlandoSooner
3/10/2011, 11:08 AM
Wow, typical non-relevant BS to discredit the allegations. I understand, Tressel is guilty of nothing. Just the rantings of a lunatic attorney.

I was thinking more along the lines of birds of a feather...

SoonerinSouthlake
3/12/2011, 01:03 PM
I dont think this is over...these penalties are brought on by tOSU not NCAA.

NCAA hasnt acted yet have they? I wouldt be surprised at all if they game back and told him he was suspended for several more games.

Scott D
3/12/2011, 04:50 PM
Between Tressel and the basketball program they should get hit with a strong LoIC.