PDA

View Full Version : Not going to say what I want to say

IndySooner
3/7/2011, 02:13 PM
We're attempting to take market share from this guy, so I'll keep my thoughts to myself, other than to say that this is the reason we started our site:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5329

bcolston15
3/7/2011, 03:26 PM
I'll say it, he's a clown. Texas is 11th in Collegiate Baseball, 13th in the Coaches Poll and 5th in Baseball America. None of them have OU behind Texas.

I think Texas is as good as OU, but simply rating performance thus far he's way off with his assessment.

Sooner74
3/7/2011, 04:09 PM
I'll say it, he's a clown. Texas is 11th in Collegiate Baseball, 13th in the Coaches Poll and 5th in Baseball America. None of them have OU behind Texas.

I think Texas is as good as OU, but simply rating performance thus far he's way off with his assessment.

Agreed. I'm also tired of saying teams are good and haven't played to potential. I base the rankings off of what you have done, not what you can do. They have 4 losses, enough to think that maybe they aren't as strong as some thought they could be.

Sooner11JK
3/7/2011, 05:10 PM
Texas doesn't have enough on offense to overcome Cole Green's deficiencies right now. They are destined to win at best 2 of 3 every weekend. Jungman's ERA may not get above 2.00 at all this year. However, Cole Green has been just plain awful so far. UT has yet to hit a single HR yet this year? Think about that. I was worrying a little about our power when we went three games in San Diego without one. How about none in 11 games? But they have "potential". Whatever.

bcolston15
3/7/2011, 05:14 PM
Texas doesn't have enough on offense to overcome Cole Green's deficiencies right now. They are destined to win at best 2 of 3 every weekend. Jungman's ERA may not get above 2.00 at all this year. However, Cole Green has been just plain awful so far. UT has yet to hit a single HR yet this year? Think about that. I was worrying a little about our power when we went three games in San Diego without one. How about none in 11 games? But they have "potential". Whatever.

Texas always struggles early in the season and they certainly never hit a bunch of homers.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about them, as the weather warms up so does Texas, that's just kinda how it goes with the Horns.

IndySooner
3/7/2011, 05:41 PM
Texas always struggles early in the season and they certainly never hit a bunch of homers.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about them, as the weather warms up so does Texas, that's just kinda how it goes with the Horns.

Yep. I have no confidence we'll beat them, hell, we haven't in 13 years, but I think we're a better team this year than they are.

NickDangerThirdEye
3/7/2011, 06:49 PM
Pitching. Texas has had the more dominant pitching. Like colston said, when it warms up, so does Texas. We'll see how good the two teams' pitching is.

jadubya
3/7/2011, 09:53 PM
I think Kendall has historically done a fine job covering the college game....however, having Texas ranked above OU at this point of the season is indefensible.

Good luck with the new site....I will pop in from time to time. Really pissed at yahoo/rivals for putting dynamite to their board.

bufsa
3/7/2011, 10:36 PM
I disagree. I think we have a better pitching staff than Texas. Green is going to come around but beyond that they dont have the depth we do. Our four and five guys could have been filled our Sunday spot last year. Our relivers have done their job even with out Duke. Duke's habit of sticking his head where the sun don't shine doesn't seem to affect his pitching. He will be as good as ever when he is back. For some reason we seem to underrate our staff. Shore was number three in the big 12 last year and if Rocha is for real he seems to be even better. Before the season all I heard was Smith Smith Smith. Well to me he has been great and lived up to expectations and he is "only" our Sunday starter. Any game we score 5 in we win.

jadubya
3/7/2011, 11:32 PM
I disagree. I think we have a better pitching staff than Texas. Green is going to come around but beyond that they dont have the depth we do. Our four and five guys could have been filled our Sunday spot last year. Our relivers have done their job even with out Duke. Duke's habit of sticking his head where the sun don't shine doesn't seem to affect his pitching. He will be as good as ever when he is back. For some reason we seem to underrate our staff. Shore was number three in the big 12 last year and if Rocha is for real he seems to be even better. Before the season all I heard was Smith Smith Smith. Well to me he has been great and lived up to expectations and he is "only" our Sunday starter. Any game we score 5 in we win.

I respectfully disagree.....strongly. Jungmann and Purke (TCU) are next level studs. Green, when he is on, has better stuff....consistently....than anybody that we have on OUr staff. I believe that we have closed the gap on their 3-5 rotation guys....and we MAY be as deep as the horns throughout the pen....but....their 1-2 as good as any in the nation.

I love Rocha's performance thus far. Shore, when he is on, can go toe to toe with nearly anybody. Smith/Overton have been great thus far....against pretty poor competition outside of Smith's performance over Cal. Our relief by committee has been solid.

Our offense speaks for itself....but I am still concerned about our pitching and middle infield defensively. Rt now....I give the pitching/defense nod to the horns by a much narrower margin than OUr edge at the plate.

Sooner74
3/8/2011, 12:45 AM
I respectfully disagree.....strongly. Jungmann and Purke (TCU) are next level studs. Green, when he is on, has better stuff....consistently....than anybody that we have on OUr staff. I believe that we have closed the gap on their 3-5 rotation guys....and we MAY be as deep as the horns throughout the pen....but....their 1-2 as good as any in the nation.

I love Rocha's performance thus far. Shore, when he is on, can go toe to toe with nearly anybody. Smith/Overton have been great thus far....against pretty poor competition outside of Smith's performance over Cal. Our relief by committee has been solid.

Our offense speaks for itself....but I am still concerned about our pitching and middle infield defensively. Rt now....I give the pitching/defense nod to the horns by a much narrower margin than OUr edge at the plate.

I would assume Bushyhead and Duke will quell some of your worries. I know Jungmann is better than all of our guys, but Green has been really struggling and I couldn't say he is better than Rocha.

jadubya
3/8/2011, 12:33 PM
Bushyhead is gonna help our immensely on the defensive side. No argument regarding Green/Rocha THIS year thus far. Hopefully, Rocha keeps ringing the bell and Green stays AWOL.

catch106
3/8/2011, 01:42 PM
Is the plan to move Bushyhead back to SS and move Ellis to 2nd or to move Bushyhead to 2nd and keep Ellis at short?

Sooner11JK
3/8/2011, 01:48 PM
Bushyhead at SS, Mayfield at 2B, Ellis to replace Mayfield when he goes to the mound.

IndySooner
3/8/2011, 01:49 PM
Is the plan to move Bushyhead back to SS and move Ellis to 2nd or to move Bushyhead to 2nd and keep Ellis at short?

Bushyhead will be at short. The 2b job is up for grabs. No inside knowledge, just my opinion.

Sooner74
3/8/2011, 02:01 PM
I think we see Bushyhead and Mayfield as the SS and 2B unless they want Mayfield to be a middle relief guy. Did they move White to the outfield or DH? Cause I remember him playing 2B the first few games.

TumbleweedDoom
3/8/2011, 02:18 PM
I think we see Bushyhead and Mayfield as the SS and 2B unless they want Mayfield to be a middle relief guy. Did they move White to the outfield or DH? Cause I remember him playing 2B the first few games.

Max stood between first base and second base for a few games to open the season. I think actually to say he "played" there is a bit far-fetched, but it is true that he stood there while a game was going on.

Sooner74
3/8/2011, 03:12 PM
Max stood between first base and second base for a few games to open the season. I think actually to say he "played" there is a bit far-fetched, but it is true that he stood there while a game was going on.

I hear he made a nice dirt castle right there in between bags.

YardbirdOG
3/8/2011, 03:38 PM
Baseball polls are a joke generally because how can you watch that many teams? But PGs pole is a sham. I am surprised he doesn't have the Ags at the 1 spot with a disclaimer that says if someone beats them he will shut down his website, take his bat and ball and go home.

bufsa
3/8/2011, 06:12 PM
"against pretty poor competition outside of Smith's performance over Cal". You are doing what people are complaining of the polls doing. In your mind Cal was the only strong team there. They lost to SDS and USD has beaten SDS already this year. Those two San Diego teams are better than you are giving them credit for. Neither is a CWS team but they both have some quality players. I didn't say our picthers are better than Jungmann, I said our staff was better than Texas overall. Also since Purke plays for TCU he has nothing to do with the statement that our staff is better than Texas.

oklasooners
3/8/2011, 10:57 PM
Kendal Rogers is an idiot, two 4 lose teams ahead of OU? but, I think he is playing the odds. He can rank OU where ever he wants. There is only about 100 actual OU baseball fans. I dont think he is worried about pissing off OU.

YardbirdOG
3/9/2011, 10:33 AM
Well lets be honest, college baseball is lacking in overall fan base until Omaha rolls around. I dont care if TCU packs 6000 a game... those are the only 6000 that know the score for them.

fwsooner22
3/9/2011, 11:30 AM
Well lets be honest, college baseball is lacking in overall fan base until Omaha rolls around. I dont care if TCU packs 6000 a game... those are the only 6000 that know the score for them.

That's just flat out not true. The town of FW is freakn nuts over anything TCU these days. That stadium is Nuts on gameday and people actually tailgate for a baseball game; before and after.

I live a mile or so away and it amazes me. Had a great crowd last night for UT Arlington.

The Star-Telegram gives more attention to that baseball team than the Daily Oklahoman gives the Sooners.

bcolston15
3/9/2011, 12:11 PM

Most of the ACC and SEC would disagree with you. Baseball is a big deal there.

jadubya
3/9/2011, 12:40 PM
"against pretty poor competition outside of Smith's performance over Cal". You are doing what people are complaining of the polls doing. In your mind Cal was the only strong team there. They lost to SDS and USD has beaten SDS already this year. Those two San Diego teams are better than you are giving them credit for. Neither is a CWS team but they both have some quality players. I didn't say our picthers are better than Jungmann, I said our staff was better than Texas overall. Also since Purke plays for TCU he has nothing to do with the statement that our staff is better than Texas.

Purke got a caveat/mention when I stated that Jungmann is at "another level"...I put Purke in that category as well....and I am fully aware who he plays for....thanks.

Every team in D1 has some quality players....that doesn't necessarily translate to quality teams. The Aztecs and Tritons will be lucky to make the tournament....so I don't know exactly where I am supposed to give them credit. Errors were being made all over the field by those "quality" teams.

We beat every team out there....as we should....but I haven't found a single person, other than yourself, who would assert that OUr pitching staff is better than the UT pitching staff.

OU: 2.76 ERA; Opp BA .233
UT: 2.85 ERA; Opp BA .215

If you look closer at the UT top 4 vs Sooner top 4 in the rotation, it isn't even close in regard to Opp BA. The "struggling" Cole Green is holding hitters to .209...and he is the WORST of the 4 thus far. That is better than every single pitcher in our top 4 except Rocha (.169)

UT has played a tougher schedule than us....I don't see how any reasonable college baseball fan could argue to the contrary. Stanford, Hawaii, Maryland, Tx Am CC, & UTSA > Cal, SDSU, USD, & UTA.

I like OUr squad....I like OUr staff....but to say that OUr staff is better than the Horns....at this point of the season is a little bit of sunshine pumping, IMO. No worries...that is what message boards are for...cuss n discuss.

Sooner74
3/9/2011, 01:23 PM
Really? I would argue that UT's top 2 guys are legit. I would also say 4 deep I think we have more quality. I really believe that.

bufsa
3/9/2011, 03:47 PM
The only ranked team Texas has played is Stanford. We played Cal which before we beat them was not ranked too far below Stanford. As far as the other teams, I live down the street (literally) from UTSA and I would give San Diego the edge. I would put Corpus Christie in the same category as UTSA. Not putting down Texas's schedule just saying ours was just as strong or at least close. Plus they have lost 4 games to their "tougher" competition. They lost their closer to the draft. It will be our pitchers jobs to keep it close against Texas allowing our team to win it against their relievers. We will take two out of three. The only thing I would do is switch Shore with Smith. Not that one is better but Smith's style is different than Rocha and Shore and this might throw them off balance rather than seeing to similar pitchers two days in a row.

YardbirdOG
3/9/2011, 04:05 PM
Most of the ACC and SEC would disagree with you. Baseball is a big deal there.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_RB/2010/attendance.pdf

The above site has some of the more recent numbers.

I can agree that some schools have more popular programs, but that is like saying the US is full of millionaires because 12 people have some money.
I just want to highlight the lack of knowledge of games played and the performances in them based on box scores. Football polls aren't done with Box scores alone.

I want college baseball to take over... I love it and grew up around it.

Another example:
Go to ESPN.com and go to the College Baseball Section?

jadubya
3/9/2011, 05:51 PM
The only ranked team Texas has played is Stanford. We played Cal which before we beat them was not ranked too far below Stanford. As far as the other teams, I live down the street (literally) from UTSA and I would give San Diego the edge. I would put Corpus Christie in the same category as UTSA. Not putting down Texas's schedule just saying ours was just as strong or at least close. Plus they have lost 4 games to their "tougher" competition. They lost their closer to the draft. It will be our pitchers jobs to keep it close against Texas allowing our team to win it against their relievers. We will take two out of three. The only thing I would do is switch Shore with Smith. Not that one is better but Smith's style is different than Rocha and Shore and this might throw them off balance rather than seeing to similar pitchers two days in a row.

Not according to this guy....

Good news is that our ISR is higher...due to the wins.....however, the SOS component isn't even remotely close. UT SoS = 35 > OU SoS = 184

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/currentisr.html

Regardless...I hope the OU/UT head to head plays out as you mention above.

jadubya
3/9/2011, 05:52 PM

I can agree that some schools have more popular programs, but that is like saying the US is full of millionaires because 12 people have some money.
I just want to highlight the lack of knowledge of games played and the performances in them based on box scores. Football polls aren't done with Box scores alone.

Another example:

Amen my brother. It is shameful how little coverage the college game gets....in my opinion...it is the best baseball has to offer.

bufsa
3/9/2011, 10:45 PM
What I don't understand is people are saying Texas is better based on SOS. I would agree with you if they had won but they lost. If you play the five best teams in the nation and loose to them that does not make you number 6.

jadubya
3/10/2011, 12:19 AM
I am not saying texas is a better team. I am saying that they have played a stronger schedule and that their pitching corps looks to be stronger based on their performance against said schedule. On these two points we have differing opinions....

If we ever see an 0-5 team ranked 6 in the nation, then we need to blow the system up and start over.

I would sure love to see us get over the hump against the horns this year.

NickDangerThirdEye
3/10/2011, 08:35 AM
We're attempting to take market share from this guy, so I'll keep my thoughts to myself, other than to say that this is the reason we started our site:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5329

Indy - perryj74 over on ouinsider trying to register but hasn't received an email:

"Can you help a fella out? I've been trying to get registered over there since before the start of the season and as of yet have had no luck. I'm not using a yahoo or other free e-mail service but still haven't received a confirmation e-mail to be able to post."

bcolston15
3/10/2011, 09:28 AM

Another example:

Fair enough, but eight of the top ten on the list were from the ACC or SEC.

bufsa
3/10/2011, 05:13 PM
jadubya, I wasn't really disagreeing with you. It's just sometimes I imagine the guys making the rankings are just sitting there shaking a magic 8 ball.

IndySooner
3/10/2011, 10:34 PM

I'll tell you this, I'm going to have over 2000 unique visitors to a BRAND NEW website that I haven't marketed at all, outside of Twitter. It's a college baseball website. There's a bigger college baseball following than anyone around here knows. It's growing by the week, too.

fwsooner22
3/11/2011, 11:45 AM
I'll tell you this, I'm going to have over 2000 unique visitors to a BRAND NEW website that I haven't marketed at all, outside of Twitter. It's a college baseball website. There's a bigger college baseball following than anyone around here knows. It's growing by the week, too.

Totally, agree. I know baseball is incredibly huge in north Texas. There was 500-600 at an Arlington Heights (4A school) baseball game last night and their basketball team was in Austin playing is state semis at the same time.

FenwayFaithfulSooner
3/11/2011, 12:55 PM
If we keep winning all this poll stuff will work itself out.