PDA

View Full Version : Creators of South Park making Mormon musical

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/7/2011, 02:07 PM
I am PUMPED to see this

http://www.bookofmormonbroadway.com/

So here is a quick rundown from Trey and Matt about their fascination with the Mormon religion
JyiflmigQNs

Here is a quick youtube video
yhNP5FjqueQ&feature=related

picasso
3/7/2011, 02:15 PM
I saw this in Entertaiment Mag a few weeks ago.

These guys have no shame.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/7/2011, 02:18 PM

I'm glad they don't. It works because they truly make fun of everyone

picasso
3/7/2011, 02:52 PM
I'm glad they don't. It works because they truly make fun of everyone

Except themselves. They are living examples of dorks.

I'm afraid they've gone too far on this one.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/7/2011, 02:57 PM

That's what everyone says on nearly all of their episodes yet they continue making them. I for one think their work is amazing.

Midtowner
3/7/2011, 03:31 PM

Let me guess... you're a Mormon?

They've taken some pretty broad swipes at my faith as well--Catholicism. It's all pretty fair. Honestly, some of the religious stuff our religions teach is a little bit silly and far fetched. It's as fair game for mockery as anything else.

MR2-Sooner86
3/7/2011, 03:34 PM

How so?

Christianity
Mormonism
Catholicism
Atheism
Scientology
Islam
Judaism
Hinduism

Which one of these have they not made fun of? Answer, they've made fun of them all. The ones they did on Islam and Scientology were the tits. They're equal opportunity offenders for sure.

picasso
3/7/2011, 03:34 PM
Let me guess... you're a Mormon?

They've taken some pretty broad swipes at my faith as well--Catholicism. It's all pretty fair. Honestly, some of the religious stuff our religions teach is a little bit silly and far fetched. It's as fair game for mockery as anything else.

You guess wrong.

I just think there could be some tact in there somewhere as far as taking sacrilege too far.

picasso
3/7/2011, 03:35 PM
How so?

Christianity
Mormonism
Catholicism
Atheism
Scientology
Islam
Judaism
Hinduism

Which one of these have they not made fun of? Answer, they've made fun of them all. The ones they did on Islam and Scientology were the tits. They're equal opportunity offenders for sure.

Ah yes, they make fun of everything therefore they themselves shant be open to criticism.

MR2-Sooner86
3/7/2011, 03:38 PM
Ah yes, they make fun of everything therefore they themselves shant be open to criticism.

Criticism for what?

Last I saw they have free speech like everybody else and they use their free speech to make fun of things they find wrong or silly in religion.

This is wrong because...why? It'll offend somebody and hurt their feelings? What exactly do you not like about what they do? What do you want to criticize and feel they're doing wrong?

OULenexaman
3/7/2011, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=picasso;3164022]I saw this in Entertaiment Mag a few weeks ago. /QUOTE]

any other tabloids you've taken up reading?:D

picasso
3/7/2011, 03:45 PM
btw, have you read what is going to be included in this musical?

I'm no fan of Mormonism but :eek: . Let's just say there's some phallic stuff goin' on.

picasso
3/7/2011, 03:46 PM
Criticism for what?

Last I saw they have free speech like everybody else and they use their free speech to make fun of things they find wrong or silly in religion.

This is wrong because...why? It'll offend somebody and hurt their feelings? What exactly do you not like about what they do? What do you want to criticize and feel they're doing wrong?

Welllllllllllllll, I'm bustin on their chops and you seem to have a problem with it. No?

picasso
3/7/2011, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=picasso;3164022]I saw this in Entertaiment Mag a few weeks ago. /QUOTE]

any other tabloids you've taken up reading?:D

My old lady get's them. Good lavatory reading.:D

MR2-Sooner86
3/7/2011, 05:33 PM
Welllllllllllllll, I'm bustin on their chops and you seem to have a problem with it. No?

You said they have no shame, I asked how. I'm just curious why you think so. Don't have a problem with it just wondering why.

picasso
3/7/2011, 05:36 PM
You said they have no shame, I asked how. I'm just curious why you think so. Don't have a problem with it just wondering why.

Seriously? I'm not sure that needs explaining.

picasso
3/7/2011, 05:42 PM
Look, I kinda like South Park but to need an explanation on their having no shame?
Read some previews on said musical. It's crass which is expected but it's a new low (or high) for them.

soonerhubs
3/7/2011, 05:48 PM
The cynical attitude that these two carry with them is definitely an indicator of no shame.

If they want to show complete disrespect to what others hold as sacred, they certainly have the right to do it, but they don't have my support.

They create this sense of jaded false intellectualism, as if they know everything about everyone, and that's what's so bothersome.

Yes, I've seen the one about the Mormons, and contrary to what these "intellectuals" say in that Youtube clip, they stretched, elaborated, and lied in some parts of that episode. Nothing like a little hyperbole and hearsay to pontificate, but they sure have that down to an art.

If people get their "kicks" out of somehow thinking they transcend the world by watching the obscene work that these two put out, so be it.

I'll leave this thread alone now.

Radar's Left Hand
3/7/2011, 05:53 PM
I notice they're not making the musical based on Islam. Cowards.

Pricetag
3/7/2011, 05:54 PM
You guess wrong.

I just think there could be some tact in there somewhere as far as taking sacrilege too far.
If they're making fun of someone else's brand, is it really sacrilege?

MR2-Sooner86
3/7/2011, 05:59 PM
Look, I kinda like South Park but to need an explanation on their having no shame?
Read some previews on said musical. It's crass which is expected but it's a new low (or high) for them.

I guess I have no shame either because I don't see it. It seems to me it's a Broadway version of the episode "All about the Mormons" with a mixture of "Team America" added to it.

That's just me but I can see how others might not feel the same way and could be uncomfortable with it.

HBick
3/7/2011, 06:00 PM
the national deficit could make a really good monster and it could kill kenny in a creative way

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/7/2011, 06:01 PM
I notice they're not making the musical based on Islam. Cowards.

They already had an episode about muhammad and got death threats. Making a musical about raving lunatics is not funny. Making a musical about silly white people is really funny

Chuck Bao
3/7/2011, 06:01 PM
I don't like it either, Picasso. In another thread, someone was comparing Charlie Sheen to Howard Stern. That is quite apt. It just seems to me that our media is shifting towards insulting and offensive, rather than smart and witty.

I know that South Park has its loyal fans. And, maybe it is a step up from the unimaginative "feel good" and "preach down" US TV of the 70s and 80s. Right now, I am just thankful that there are so many channels on TV and I won't choose South Park.

Pricetag
3/7/2011, 06:05 PM
My biggest beef with the interview was that they seemed to disown BASEketball.

HBick
3/7/2011, 06:05 PM
I watch South Park and with the invention of DVR's I have seen almost all of them now, as for the last 4 seasons, there have been like 2-3 a season that are actually hilarious. Other than that, I forget about it within 24 hours

that one about whaling where they made fun of the animal planet show and the japanese killed the miami dolphins, that was a clever episode

picasso
3/7/2011, 06:07 PM
The Clooney Smug was pretty sharp.

HBick
3/7/2011, 06:10 PM
The Clooney Smug was pretty sharp.

Butters Bottom Bitch was up there as well

The Lord of the Rings one was good, so was the Make Love Not Warcraft

but I was a huge fan of the Imaginationland trilogy, but I liked it because it had like 10 seasons of jokes in it

Radar's Left Hand
3/7/2011, 06:10 PM
They already had an episode about muhammad and got death threats. Making a musical about raving lunatics is not funny. Making an episode about silly white people is really funny

What isn't funny about that? They chose an easy target. Weak.

JohnnyMack
3/7/2011, 06:13 PM
Question for Christians. What is your attitude and/or feeling towards Mormonism? Is it accepted as simply another denomination of Christianity? A cousin of the religion? How do you feel about it?

I'll take your answer off the air.

HBick
3/7/2011, 06:20 PM
Mormonism to me is Big Love on HBO, that's how far removed I am from their teachings and religious views.

Personally, if one poor soul can handle 3 wives, power to him

MR2-Sooner86
3/7/2011, 06:22 PM

Just close the thread you're not topping that.

Chuck Bao
3/7/2011, 06:38 PM
Question for Christians. What is your attitude and/or feeling towards Mormonism? Is it accepted as simply another denomination of Christianity? A cousin of the religion? How do you feel about it?

I'll take your answer off the air.

This doesn't answer your question, but I do try to show respect to all religions and religious beliefs. I have worked with people who have vastly different religious view points. I have worked with muslims, sikhs, jainists, buddhists etc.

I am very embarrassed that I once told one of my favorite stock market analysts that I was sorry that he was fasting during the day due to Ramadan. His response was please don't. It is a joyous time for us.

The sikh was also a very smart man. I am just thankful that he didn't completely follow one of his commandments and carry a big curved knife with him. I am pretty sure one of his gilted Thai girlfriends would have grabbed it and stabbed him with it.

yermom
3/7/2011, 06:39 PM
Mormonism to me is Big Love on HBO, that's how far removed I am from their teachings and religious views.

they cover the differences on that show...

HBick
3/7/2011, 07:13 PM
they cover the differences on that show...

I know...

I'm saying, my exposure to Mormonism, the Church of LDS is limited to what I watch on HBO

yermom
3/7/2011, 10:29 PM
that's what i was confused about. they don't subscribe to polygamy anymore.

which, honestly makes me lose some respect for them as a group...

Jews had more than one wife back in the day. when did that stop? the flood? i don't remember.

Jacie
3/8/2011, 11:50 AM
that's what i was confused about. they don't subscribe to polygamy anymore.

which, honestly makes me lose some respect for them as a group...

They kinda figured out that being in a state of war with the U.S. government was not such a good idea . . .

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/8/2011, 12:00 PM
South Parks speaks deep truths about American society, whether you choose to accept that or not.

saucysoonergal
3/8/2011, 12:01 PM
Mormons for the most part make great neighbors. I don't agree with their religion, but then again they don't agree with mine.

Most of them seem very family orientied and they take their dedication to their religion very seriously. All-in-all, I say more power to them, just don't ring my doorbell early. ;)

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/8/2011, 12:02 PM
South Parks speaks deep truths about American society, whether you choose to accept that or not.

Indeed

MR2-Sooner86
3/8/2011, 12:24 PM
I don't agree with their religion, but then again they don't agree with mine.

Snake handler or godless jezzabell?

waynepayne
3/8/2011, 12:29 PM

I love this spelling sooooooo much.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/8/2011, 01:22 PM
I notice they're not making the musical based on Islam. Cowards.Nowadays, that's the only religion that strikes back at its detractors. I might be interested in watching/hearing/reading attacks on religions, if the perps have the cajones to go after the moslems, first and foremost.

saucysoonergal
3/8/2011, 01:25 PM

Snake handler.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/8/2011, 01:26 PM
Geez, they already have done an episode about muslims and got death threats from some nut job freaks from the Northeast.

3/8/2011, 01:30 PM
Geez, they already have done an episode about muslims and got death threats from some nut job freaks from the Northeast.What's more worthy of ridicule than a religion who believes it's right to kill non-believers? All other religions pale in comparison. They oughta go after the moslems all the time, until it makes an impact.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/8/2011, 01:32 PM
What's more worthy of ridicule than a religion who believes it's right to kill non-believers? All other religions pale in comparison. They oughta go after the moslems all the time, until it makes an impact.

I wish they would too

saucysoonergal
3/8/2011, 01:40 PM
Well, us snake handlers think you non-snake handlers are wusses.

DIB
3/8/2011, 01:44 PM
South Park was twice censored by Comedy Central, when they tried to include a depiction of Muhammad.

SCOUT
3/8/2011, 01:57 PM
Criticism for what?

If you change the subject of your comments to race, does that change your opinion?

Midtowner
3/8/2011, 02:19 PM
Nowadays, that's the only religion that strikes back at its detractors. I might be interested in watching/hearing/reading attacks on religions, if the perps have the cajones to go after the moslems, first and foremost.

They have:

http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Entertainment/604/341/southparkshot_640.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/04/20/website-warns-south-park-creators-face-retribution-depicting-muhammad/

MR2-Sooner86
3/8/2011, 03:07 PM
Well, us snake handlers think you non-snake handlers are wusses.

Psssh you handle garden snakes. Come back to me when you wrestle with a python ;)

If you change the subject of your comments to race, does that change your opinion?

Nope.

What's more worthy of ridicule than a religion who believes it's right to kill non-believers? All other religions pale in comparison. They oughta go after the moslems all the time, until it makes an impact.

I really doubt New York City officials would let a Broadway play about Islam play not too far where the biggest terrorist attack happened. I don't know for sure but it's just a guess.

yermom
3/8/2011, 03:47 PM

you are born black, your parents make you believe in some religion, or you get converted by choice later in life.

in my book making fun of a choice is fair game :D

3/8/2011, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Romney. The Romneycare thingy will get him poisoned, and I'm not so crazy about Romneycare, either. They tried the Mormon criticism last time he ran, and it didn't really stick. But, if they beat the drum loudly enough, and often enough, it might work this time.