PDA

View Full Version : Craig James on WBAP radio in Dallas

FtwTxSooner
3/7/2011, 10:13 AM
They'll be taking calls starting at 9:30, talking about Adam, and Craig's political aspirations.

www.wbap.com

FtwTxSooner
3/7/2011, 10:20 AM
He still is saying SMU didn't pay him anything to commit, though did admit to taking "20 dollar handshakes".

SoCaliSooner
3/7/2011, 10:28 AM
He still is saying SMU didn't pay him anything to commit, though did admit to taking "20 dollar handshakes".
The "admit to something seemingly small and minimize it, while denying the larger thing he probably did that sounds really bad".

He's a politician...

rekamrettuB
3/7/2011, 10:43 AM

Define "SMU". I don't think he got checks from the university. He got paid from the boosters. SMU was complicit in the payments but I doubt they ran players payments through HR. So yes, SMU didn't pay him anything.

ictsooner7
3/7/2011, 10:51 AM
Define "SMU". I don't think he got checks from the university. He got paid from the boosters. SMU was complicit in the payments but I doubt they ran players payments through HR. So yes, SMU didn't pay him anything.

That is some solid SEC argument there, and yes SMU knew about it. The president of the university told them to keep making payment because they told the players they would for four years. It cost him a run at the governor.

texaspokieokie
3/7/2011, 10:52 AM
That is some solid SEC argument there, and yes SMU knew about it. The president of the university told them to keep making payment because they told the players they would for four years. It cost him a run at the governor.

who was he ??

rekamrettuB
3/7/2011, 11:12 AM

I know and all that you said is true. I'm just saying this is where James can hide behind concerning his statement. I also highly doubt he got "$20 handshakes" either. More likely $200.

fwsooner22
3/7/2011, 11:47 AM
CRAIG JAMES is exactly what he appears to be. I hope he gets elected so he will finally be exposed for the fraud that he is.

Soonerjeepman
3/7/2011, 11:57 AM
The "admit to something seemingly small and minimize it, while denying the larger thing he probably did that sounds really bad".

He's a politician...

kind of like Clinton..."define sex"....geeze...

SoonerLB
3/7/2011, 12:00 PM
CRAIG JAMES is exactly what he appears to be. I hope he gets elected so he will finally be exposed for the fraud that he is.

And he can get his worthless kid a job! Politicians can do that you know. ;)

Jacie
3/7/2011, 12:01 PM

Actually, he won, and he wasn't the university president but was on the board of trustees. It was Bill Clements and he made these incredibly damning statements after he took office.

However, his second term was marred by a startling revelation he made two months after taking office. On March 3, 1987, Clements admitted that he and the other members of the SMU board of governors had approved a secret plan to continue payments to 13 football players from a slush fund provided by a booster. Clements said that the board agreed to "phase out" the slush fund at the end of the 1986 season, but that it felt duty-bound to honor prior commitments to the players. The decision to continue the payments ultimately led to the NCAA shutting down the football program for the 1987 season—the so-called "death penalty." SMU then opted not to field a team in 1988 as well, claiming it could not put together a competitive squad. The shutdown and other sanctions left the once-proud Mustang football program in ruin; SMU has had only two winning seasons since returning to the field, and wouldn't get another bowl bid until 2009. A few months later, the College of Bishops of the United Methodist Church released a report detailing an investigation of its own into the scandal. It revealed that Clements had met with athletic director Bob Hitch, and the two agreed that the payments had to continue because the football program had "a payroll to meet."[2]

A week later, Clements apologized for his role in continuing the payments. He said he'd learned about the slush fund in 1984, and an investigation by the board of governors revealed that players had been paid to play since the mid-1970s. Clements said that rather than shut the payments down immediately, the board "reluctantly and uncomfortably" decided to continue paying players who had already been guaranteed payments. However, he said, in hindsight the board "should have stopped (the payments) immediately" rather than merely phase them out.[3]

Clements faced calls for his impeachment as a result of these statements; two state legislators argued that he would have never been elected had he honestly addressed his role in the scandal. Under the circumstances, he opted not to run for a third term as governor and was succeeded on January 15, 1991 by Democratic state Treasurer Ann Richards (1933–2006).

Breadburner
3/7/2011, 12:07 PM
Depends on what your definition of "is" is.....

oudavid1
3/7/2011, 12:40 PM
I dedicate my sig to people who are somewhat important in my life and some dumb quotes from SoonerFans members.

Mike Leach was a gift to Texas Tech.

**** Craig James

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 02:37 PM
... he opted not to run for a third term as governor and was succeeded on January 15, 1991 by Democratic state Treasurer Ann Richards (1933–2006).[/I]

That will teach Texas to bitch about paying players.

ictsooner7
3/7/2011, 10:04 PM
Actually, he won, and he wasn't the university president but was on the board of trustees. It was Bill Clements and he made these incredibly damning statements after he took office.

However, his second term was marred by a startling revelation he made two months after taking office. On March 3, 1987, Clements admitted that he and the other members of the SMU board of governors had approved a secret plan to continue payments to 13 football players from a slush fund provided by a booster. Clements said that the board agreed to "phase out" the slush fund at the end of the 1986 season, but that it felt duty-bound to honor prior commitments to the players. The decision to continue the payments ultimately led to the NCAA shutting down the football program for the 1987 season—the so-called "death penalty." SMU then opted not to field a team in 1988 as well, claiming it could not put together a competitive squad. The shutdown and other sanctions left the once-proud Mustang football program in ruin; SMU has had only two winning seasons since returning to the field, and wouldn't get another bowl bid until 2009. A few months later, the College of Bishops of the United Methodist Church released a report detailing an investigation of its own into the scandal. It revealed that Clements had met with athletic director Bob Hitch, and the two agreed that the payments had to continue because the football program had "a payroll to meet."[2]

A week later, Clements apologized for his role in continuing the payments. He said he'd learned about the slush fund in 1984, and an investigation by the board of governors revealed that players had been paid to play since the mid-1970s. Clements said that rather than shut the payments down immediately, the board "reluctantly and uncomfortably" decided to continue paying players who had already been guaranteed payments. However, he said, in hindsight the board "should have stopped (the payments) immediately" rather than merely phase them out.[3]

Clements faced calls for his impeachment as a result of these statements; two state legislators argued that he would have never been elected had he honestly addressed his role in the scandal. Under the circumstances, he opted not to run for a third term as governor and was succeeded on January 15, 1991 by Democratic state Treasurer Ann Richards (1933–2006).

In between his two terms as governor, Clements was chairman of the board of trustees of Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

He was elected a second term before the news was broken and decided not to run for a third term. I was talking about his third term, not his second.

ictsooner7
3/7/2011, 10:08 PM
kind of like Clinton..."define sex"....geeze...

I THOUGHT WE COULDN'T TALK POLITICS ON HERE.

AND TRY TO TELL THE TRUTH, BILL CLINTON NEVER SAID "DEFINE SEX". YOU PEOPLE JUST MAKING THINGS UP.

rekamrettuB
3/8/2011, 09:45 AM
I THOUGHT WE COULDN'T TALK POLITICS ON HERE.

AND TRY TO TELL THE TRUTH, BILL CLINTON NEVER SAID "DEFINE SEX". YOU PEOPLE JUST MAKING THINGS UP.

Ya, that's right...he knew the definition of "sex". He just didn't know the meaning of "is".

Leroy Lizard
3/8/2011, 10:55 AM
nor "truth"