PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet Mowers

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 06:54 PM
Biggest piece of carp ever or One of the biggest pieces of carp ever?

Turd_Ferguson
3/6/2011, 06:58 PM
I used to have a Cub 4042(I think that was the model). 52" deck, electric pto, hydrostatic drive. Best lawnmower I ever had next to my dad's 1970 Wheelhorse...

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:02 PM
How long have those drives been working for you? Also....is it Commercial Grade?

Sooner5030
3/6/2011, 07:04 PM
either way....deere, cub, husq....make sure you get the briggs & straton instead of the Kohler.....also get hydrostatic drive.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:06 PM
The advice I've been hearing is to avoid buying it from a Home Depot or a Lowes etc. Also spend your money on the lowest cost Commercial Grade mower at the very least. The retail riders and zero turns are complete carp.

OUHOMER
3/6/2011, 07:22 PM
I perfer Kohler over briggs, I bought the John Deere zero turn from Lowes. I love it, 52 inch deck....

there are a few more out there i might buy, instead, Thye have one up at the fram supply, that has a much heavier deck. But i will never go back to a regular riding mower. ZERO TURN all the way.

However, its easier to drink beer on a standard rideing mower

yermom
3/6/2011, 07:24 PM
my grandpa had one back in the 80's that was awesome

the John Deere he replaced it with wasn't as much fun to ride :D

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:26 PM
The folks in the know around here say to find out who fixes the mowers for Home Depot and /or Lowes and then buy them from them. As I understand....you stand a better chance of getting taken care of on Warranty Work by buying from the Real Dealer over trying to save a few bucks at HD or Lowes.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:27 PM
my grandpa had one back in the 80's that was awesome

the John Deere he replaced it with wasn't as much fun to ride :D

I heard that same thing. Deere is still a good mower but the ride on some of them is a bit rougher than they used to be.

yermom
3/6/2011, 07:36 PM
nah, it just wasn't as fast :D

Sooner5030
3/6/2011, 07:36 PM
You can order direct from John Deere online. About $300 cheaper than at Lowes.

Sooner5030
3/6/2011, 07:37 PM
right now I am looking for a 3 cyl yanmar diesel mini-tractor with a belly mower, 3 point and multiple PTOs.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:49 PM
nah, it just wasn't as fast :D

[GrandPaw]Lawn Mowers aren't Go-Karts Dammit![/GP]

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:50 PM
You can order direct from John Deere online. About $300 cheaper than at Lowes.

Again.....cheaper....unless you need it worked on.

yermom
3/6/2011, 07:53 PM
so a dealer won't work on warranty stuff if they don't sell it?

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:56 PM
so a dealer won't work on warranty stuff if they don't sell it?

They'll work on it as soon as they get the ones they sold out of the way and if you just needed something minor and you bought it from them...do you think you'd get the same treatment if you bought online or from someone else?

C&CDean
3/6/2011, 08:00 PM
There's only 2 rider mowers to buy out there. Either a John Deere commercial, or a Hustler Z. The Yazoo-Kees are good too. Cub Cadet? POS.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 08:02 PM
Thank you Dean. I knew you'd come through.

OUthunder
3/6/2011, 08:14 PM
John Deere.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 08:41 PM
Those Dixie Choppers really are eye catchers but I just don't see their value. Had another guy I work with swear Grasshoppers were the shiots. He seemed to do well mowing properties on the side with his Grasshopper.

Sooner5030
3/6/2011, 08:53 PM
Here's a good Cub.....back then it was under International though:

http://images.traderonline.com//img/9/dealer/4753442/97418392_1thumb_550x410.jpg

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 08:57 PM
You can probaly fix that one up cheaper than if the hydrostatic Transmissions went out on a new one.....lol

Sooner5030
3/6/2011, 09:07 PM
here's one that I want. I wonder if a bigger yard comes with it.

http://images.traderonline.com//img/9/dealer/6268286/97451661_1thumb_550x410.jpg

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 09:09 PM
1Rp34Bx7ClE

Sooner5030
3/6/2011, 09:26 PM
here's dean's deere:

http://www.ridingmower.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/john-deere-chopper-lawn-mower.jpg

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 09:27 PM
here's dean's deere:

http://www.ridingmower.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/john-deere-chopper-lawn-mower.jpg

I don't see the hairy Potter 8-tracks.

btk108
3/6/2011, 09:28 PM
I used to be in the Cub Scouts.....but never made Cadet

soonercruiser
3/7/2011, 10:16 PM
Time to settle this!

USLMRA...not lame!
http://www.letsmow.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLgcqSKCfHs&feature=related

Boarder
3/7/2011, 10:42 PM
There's only 2 rider mowers to buy out there. Either a John Deere commercial, or a Hustler Z. The Yazoo-Kees are good too. Cub Cadet? POS.
The people who sell the Bad Boy Mowers (http://www.badboymowers.com/) sure think highly of them. I haven't sen or driven one in person. The one with the 35hp Cat diesel looks pretty neat, though. Even though it's orange.

I had a Cub Cadet that was bought from a lawn and garden store, not a home improvement center. The bearings in the deck went out very fast and it wasn't long until the drive mechanism wasn't working right. It was very disappointing.

OU_Sooners75
3/7/2011, 10:45 PM
Those Dixie Choppers really are eye catchers but I just don't see their value. Had another guy I work with swear Grasshoppers were the shiots. He seemed to do well mowing properties on the side with his Grasshopper.

Grasshopper only makes commercial mower...and the cheapest one out there is about $3500. And that is barebones of a mower.

Have a good friend that is a wielder that works at Grasshopper in Moundridge, KS.

OUmillenium
3/8/2011, 01:53 PM
The advice I've been hearing is to avoid buying it from a Home Depot or a Lowes etc. Also spend your money on the lowest cost Commercial Grade mower at the very least. The retail riders and zero turns are complete carp.

This.

I've checked with a groundskeeper and some other landscape guys. They say the zero turns that are not commercial grade have transmission that will be lucky to make it 300hours. After that, it's not cost effective for repair, might as well buy a new one.

They also dissed Dixie Chopper.

Had high praise for Dixon commercial grade stuff.

For weedeaters and blowers, I use Stihl. Echo is comparable in price and performance.

StoopTroup
3/8/2011, 02:10 PM
This.

I've checked with a groundskeeper and some other landscape guys. They say the zero turns that are not commercial grade have transmission that will be lucky to make it 300hours. After that, it's not cost effective for repair, might as well buy a new one.

They also dissed Dixie Chopper.

Had high praise for Dixon commercial grade stuff.

For weedeaters and blowers, I use Stihl. Echo is comparable in price and performance.
Yeah I knew about Grasshoppers being commercial grade and pricey but a friend of mine bought a zero turn Cub for $3500 that had one of the transmissions go out of it the first season. After finding out what a piece of junk those transmissions were and how much it would cost him to replace hle figured it was now just a parts machine for the guy that fixes his stuff. He'll end up getting some money ot of it as it's parted out but he'll never buy anything from Cub, Home Depot or Lowes after this experience. He rues the day we went to John Deere and didn't just pay $1500 more. He might even spend more after this experience.

I'll checkout the Dixon. Thanks about the Dixie Chopper. I have heard some folks say it was disappointing.

StoopTroup
3/8/2011, 02:59 PM
It's best to find out who made assembled the mower for Deere, cub etc.

Some Companies have given MTD the contracts to make some of them from what I hear.

Also plastic bags, plastic Ropes, nylon etc can get sucked up in those transmissions and wrap up in one really quick and the seals are gone before you realize it. Then your mower is junk.