PDA

View Full Version : State to close seven parks

oklaclarinet
3/6/2011, 06:23 PM
Just heard about this through Facebook. Nothing on the Oklahoman's site about it. Small mention on the sites for the three OKC stations.

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=14191790

If you are too lazy to click the link, the parks to close are:
Adair State Park in Stilwell
Beaver Dunes in Beaver
Boggy Depot in Atoka
Brushy Lake in Sallisaw
Heavener Runestone in Heavener
Lake Eucha in Jay
Wah-Sha-She in Copan

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 06:25 PM
they need to keep their hands off our Beaver.

So much for promoting Tourism

waynepayne
3/6/2011, 06:26 PM
Heavener Runestone in Heavener

Such a beautiful area, that is a real shame. :(

SoonerJack
3/6/2011, 06:28 PM
I remember seeing the Heavener Runestone as a little kid. It furthered my fascination with vikings.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 06:28 PM
When you close a lake.....what happens?

oklaclarinet
3/6/2011, 06:32 PM
When you close a lake.....what happens?

I would assume that all the public facilities are just closed and any access to the lake is shut off. Which means it will sit there unused.

cccasooner2
3/6/2011, 06:35 PM
I would assume that all the public facilities are just closed and any access to the lake is shut off. Which means it will sit there unused.

The fishing should be really good when it reopens.

oklaclarinet
3/6/2011, 06:37 PM
The one on that list that got my attention was Heavener Runestone, if only because if I have a connection to it. And because there is actually something of interest there, whether you believe or don't believe that Vikings actually visited.

I have been, though briefly, to Beaver Dunes park and it seemed like a nice park, just really out of the way. And I've been right by Luake Eucha park on the way to Grand Lake, and it seemed fairly well used.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 06:39 PM

What about folks who own lake front properties there? Can they still use the Lake? I know some lakes have private marinas and such. Maybe I'm wrong here.

oklaclarinet
3/6/2011, 06:54 PM
What about folks who own lake front properties there? Can they still use the Lake? I know some lakes have private marinas and such. Maybe I'm wrong here.

My guess is that any private access is still up to whoever owns those properties. Brushy Lake is so small I don't think that would be an issue. With Eucha there might be some private access but I don't know for sure. The most obvious lake access is where the highway crosses, and that is currently the state park. Wah-Sha-She is at Hulah Lake, and that lake is completely within a wildlife management area, so I would think that would be a factor.

cantwait48
3/6/2011, 07:10 PM
I have never been to Lake Eucha but it is owned by the City of Tulsa. The state park is called Lake Eucha but it closing should not keep people off the lake. The state park is a day use only park apparently and there is a separate campground on the lake, not sure who runs it.

Brushy Lake State Park closing may close off access to the lake if the State Park has the only boat ramp, anyone ever been there?

jkjsooner
3/6/2011, 10:02 PM

They may still allow access to lakes. It just won't be a state park. That probably means no campgrounds, no park administration and maintentance crews, no park rangers, etc.

I'm guessing there are plenty of lakes with recreational boating and swimming that have no state parks. Even in the cases where there are state parks, the state park boundary doesn't include the entire lake and there are private and non-park public accesses to the lakes.

Fraggle145
3/6/2011, 10:20 PM
They may still allow access to lakes. It just won't be a state park. That probably means no campgrounds, no park administration and maintentance crews, no park rangers, etc.

I'm guessing there are plenty of lakes with recreational boating and swimming that have no state parks. Even in the cases where there are state parks, the state park boundary doesn't include the entire lake and there are private and non-park public accesses to the lakes.

There are lakes like that. Lots of them.

KantoSooner
3/7/2011, 10:54 AM
I wonder if they'll just close them or actually sell the land and facilities? If selling, that would a once in a lifetime opportunity to pick up a really nice site if you had the money. Or do the corporate retreat type concept.
No real point here, just thinking out loud.

jdsooner
3/7/2011, 01:54 PM
I have been to Brushy. It is out of the way, but a nice place. We had some fun church picnics there.

Midtowner
3/7/2011, 03:32 PM
A lot of these could be taken over by municipalities. Davis runs Turner Falls and Edmond runs Lake Arcadia. I think all but Heavener are fine. Heavener is really a unique and interesting part of Oklahoma's history. Perhaps a local municipality can take over there.

soonerchk
3/7/2011, 03:35 PM
Not Boggy Depot!!! It has historical importance and everything!!!

Soonerson1975
3/7/2011, 03:43 PM

Jerry Cantrell is sad about news of Boggy Depot's closing.

oklaclarinet
3/7/2011, 07:40 PM
A lot of these could be taken over by municipalities. Davis runs Turner Falls and Edmond runs Lake Arcadia. I think all but Heavener are fine. Heavener is really a unique and interesting part of Oklahoma's history. Perhaps a local municipality can take over there.

Rumor around here is that the original contract that gave the property to the state says that if the state ever closes the park, the land and all improvements on it revert to the previous owners.

proud gonzo
3/7/2011, 08:31 PM
no kidding! they can't close down Boggy park. that sucks :mad:

GDC
3/7/2011, 11:25 PM
I have been to Brushy. It is out of the way, but a nice place. We had some fun church picnics there.

We used to camp, fish, and swim there a lot when I was growing up. Too bad about the Heavener Runestone too.

oklaclarinet
3/12/2011, 10:24 AM
The fight is on to save Heavener Runestone. A meeting was held Friday that was very contentious. A deal was had been hastily made that would give Carl Albert State College care of the park, but supposedly the state forced the regents into the deal and it is wildly unpopular. One report of from the meeting said Sen. Allen was happily supporting the deal until it became apparent how unpopular it was and then distanced himself from it. Rep. Lockhart wasn't even told about the deal.

As to how much the park is losing, apparently the park currently costs $108,000, with $84,000 coming from personel costs. However, the current deal calls for all personel to be reassigned, putting the remaining cost for the park at $24,000. The park makes $20,000 a year, meaning the state is essentially saving just $4,000 in this decision. The state will easily lose that much in tax money from the loss of tourism in the Heavener area if the park is closed.

http://leflorecountyblogs.blogspot.com/2011/03/announcement-raises-questions.html

oumartin
3/12/2011, 02:41 PM
Wah-Sha-She, I actually lived in that park for like a week back in my hippie artist days(or my poorer days)