PDA

View Full Version : Ah, good ole irony!

MR2-Sooner86
3/6/2011, 12:41 PM
Most of the time I might laugh to myself and go on but there are those special rare occasions I have to go…

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

And really enjoy the moment and savor it like a fine wine. This is one of those moments.

Here’s the deal. This girl I went to school with was Miss Christian Xtreme! How extreme? She told us in my senior English class she would never watch The Exorcist because Satan himself is in that film and everybody who was a part of the making of it (director, actors, producers, etc.) were possessed. In my sophomore American History class the teacher wanted us all to watch Saving Private Ryan in class when discussing World War II, especially D-Day, but anybody who wasn’t comfortable watching it didn’t have to. She was the only person who didn’t watch. Her reasons for not watching was because it’s rated R and if it’s rated R it’s automatically a “bad” movie. Everybody tried to explain to her it’s rated R because it tries to show the realism of the Normandy landings. Her response, “Well I think they could’ve done that without the bad language and excessive violence.” No bitch, those men went through that living Hell so you could have that stuck up “Holier than Thou” attitude.

I went to her birthday party in the7th or 8th grade wearing a “Stone Cold Steve Austin” shirt when wrestling was actually cool and didn’t suck ***. Since he used the “Austin 3:16” he was mocking Jesus and because I was wearing that shirt I wasn’t a real Christian because I supported the “devaluing” of Jesus. Whatever the f*ck that meant.

Now you’re probably asking, “Who cared and why wasn’t she just ignored?” Well, you know how some people have good genes? Her mother is almost 50 and looks better than some 18-21 year old girls I know so that should tell you all you need to know. So guys put up with her bullsh*t thinking maybe she would become an atheist and become a slut. Not to mention she was a cheerleader, student council, basketball, and was the poster child for “the perfect student any parent would want.”

So where’s the irony? Well Miss “you’re going to Hell” had an affair about two years ago. She told her (now ex) husband, “Well God forgave me so you should too.” I now found out this morning she is going to be having a baby, out of wedlock, and is not even in a committed relationship.

So I’m going to say it again.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

This is almost as good as Reverend Lonnie "Luke" Latham.

yermom
3/6/2011, 12:45 PM
you got her number?

MR2-Sooner86
3/6/2011, 12:45 PM
you got her number?

;)

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 12:58 PM
I don't get why you think it's funny. It's pretty sad IMO.

3rdgensooner
3/6/2011, 01:27 PM
You mad she turned you down?

MR2-Sooner86
3/6/2011, 01:51 PM

Is it sad a marriage ended? Yes.
Is it sad a child will be born into a family with no father? Yes.

However, those people who can talk the talk like no other but can't walk the walk deserve to be ridiculed. Unless she was raped, which would be horrible, she had the choice to engage in those acts with said people.

Saying you're such a "follower" for years and downing other people for their religious faults yet turning around and doing the same things, or worse, makes you a hypocrite worth mocking.

You mad she turned you down?

Actually I took her to my 8th grade prom.

SoonerStormchaser
3/6/2011, 02:21 PM
Seriously...life is full of stories like this...nothing to see here, move along.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 03:50 PM

Holy ****, I agree with StoopTroup.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 03:53 PM

However, those people who can talk the talk like no other but can't walk the walk deserve to be ridiculed.

She tried to live her life to a high ideal and failed. Some don't even try. I would rather ridicule the latter.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 03:58 PM

However, those people who can talk the talk like no other but can't walk the walk deserve to be ridiculed. Unless she was raped, which would be horrible, she had the choice to engage in those acts with said people.

Saying you're such a "follower" for years and downing other people for their religious faults yet turning around and doing the same things, or worse, makes you a hypocrite worth mocking.

Actually I took her to my 8th grade prom.

Well....I'd say they have a real opportunity to right some of their wrongs now. Hopefully they do just that. I'd say forgiveness might have more of a chance of making them better people than the ridicule you think is so deserving.

Just a thought.

yermom
3/6/2011, 04:10 PM
She tried to live her life to a high ideal and failed. Some don't even try. I would rather ridicule the latter.

that's the thing about the fundamentalists. when they fall, they fall HARD.

and if they were poison before it happens, there isn't much sympathy there

fwsooner22
3/6/2011, 04:15 PM
We are who we are.....some are just better at hiding it than others.....unfortunately some of the best costumes are found inside the doors of religion.....but eventually........

yankee
3/6/2011, 05:21 PM
This thread sucks.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 05:37 PM
From what MR2 is saying....I don't think anyone was hiding much.

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2011, 05:41 PM
I also see the humor in all of this.

It reminds me of a girl I knew from HS. She was similar although not quite as big a Jesus Freak, but she was the Miss Perfect type. She used to tell everyone that there is no way she was going to get married and have children until she had started her career because she didn't want to be "dragged down" by a family. There was one teacher in particular who just went completely gaga over her telling everyone this girl was destined to be the "first woman President." Gag me.

ANYWHOO, as it turns out, she went to OU and her freshman year she became something of a frat slut going from house to house sleeping with pretty much anyone and everyone. A friend of mine tried to get her to stop and calm down before she failed out of school, but to no avail.

And that's exactly what happened. She flunked out of OU by the end of her sophomore year, she moved back to town (which she said she'd never ever do), and she married a guy she had dated for awhile in HS. They now have 3 kids and she is a "stay at home" mom doing the entire PTA/baseball/cub scout mother ****.

First woman President my white conservative ***.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 05:45 PM
It sounds like she's got it pretty good SicEm.

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2011, 05:46 PM
It sounds like she's got it pretty good SicEm.

Yeah it's not the life she's leading -- it's the fact that she's leading exactly the kind of life that she dismissed and looked down on and swore she would never ever lower herself to leading.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 05:49 PM
Then I'd say she didn't exactly flunk out. Sounds like she learned something about life IMO.

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2011, 05:51 PM
Then I'd say she didn't exactly flunk out. Sounds like she learned something about life IMO.

I'd say she flunked out of OU by virtue of the fact that she never went to class, never did any work, and spent all of her time boozing and sexing it up at the frat houses. But maybe we have different definitions of flunking out. ;)

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 05:57 PM
I think we also have different definitions of success.

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2011, 05:58 PM
I think we also have different definitions of success.

I never said she wasn't successful. She has much of what I want for myself. She is the one that used to say that was her definition of unsuccessful. I've never had a problem with the kind of life she's leading -- she's the one that always had a problem with the kind of life she's leading.

That's my point you see...

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 06:05 PM
What's the difference between flunking out your Sophmore year and taking a seven years to get nothing and live with your Mom?

MsProudSooner2
3/6/2011, 06:06 PM
Sounds like the moral of both stories is that high school kids don't know squat.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 06:10 PM
http://kensten.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/glass-houses.jpg

OUthunder
3/6/2011, 06:11 PM
No!NO!NO!

3rdgensooner
3/6/2011, 06:13 PM
Sounds like the moral of both stories is that high school kids don't know squat.
Exactly

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2011, 06:15 PM
What's the difference between flunking out your Sophmore year and taking a seven years to get nothing and live with your Mom?

Wow. What did you do today? I think you've had one too many shots of ********* tonight.

sooner59
3/6/2011, 06:19 PM
Whatever! High school kids are just as smart as adults, probably more so. Adults just don't understand them! They are out of touch with reality and stuck in their ways! God I'm going to have a stroke when my future kids are that age. I didn't give my parents too much crap, but the kids I see now that age (most of them anyway) need the **** knocked out of them.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 06:19 PM
Should have been an ambulance chaser in Texas. Answering a question with a question is a sign....

yermom
3/6/2011, 07:12 PM
I'd still hit it, even though she's knocked up, but I wouldn't go down on her though.

it's not like she could get more pregnant

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:16 PM
What she should have done is not tell her Husband about the affair then murder the child so she could void the ridicule. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 07:36 PM
that's the thing about the fundamentalists. when they fall, they fall HARD.

That's true of anyone that tries to live to high standards. Everyone around them wants them to fail and take great joy in it happening. The greatest professional boxers' losses are ridiculed more than the journeyman's. It's the price you pay for trying.

Frankly, I think some of you keep closer tabs on people you used to know than it's worth. I couldn't tell you what my old high school friends are up to because I don't give a ****. Is this Oprah?

yermom
3/6/2011, 07:39 PM
if they weren't as concerned about what other people did, it wouldn't be as much of an issue

http://afairmitre.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/ted_haggard1257421024.jpg

My Opinion Matters
3/6/2011, 07:45 PM
So in a completely unrelated subject, I just remembered an awesome quote: Intelligent people talk about ideas. Average people talk about events. Small people talk about other people.

Totally irrelevant to this discussion though. Carry on.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:46 PM
heh

A Sooner in Texas
3/6/2011, 07:49 PM
So in a completely unrelated subject, I just remembered an awesome quote: Intelligent people talk about ideas. Average people talk about events. Small people talk about other people.

Totally irrelevant to this discussion though. Carry on.

What kind of people talk about quotes?

;)

That is a good quote.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:51 PM
Confucious say.....

OUthunder
3/6/2011, 08:12 PM
it's not like she could get more pregnant

Exactly, although it could cause her to have a hybrid baby. :D

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 08:16 PM
If you are a Woman and trying to have a Hybrid baby....is it best to use Lithium Batteries in your dildo or Ni-cads? :D

Sooner5030
3/6/2011, 08:25 PM
settle down folks......people change throughout life......multiple times.....especially women.

I'm not sure how someone acted in HS or even college is a good metric to evidence they don't walk the walk.

swardboy
3/6/2011, 08:29 PM
Hey, when I was in high school I knew I was destined for greatness. Then life happened. Great balls of fire.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 08:37 PM
You can turn on the local news and hear tragedies like a Father commited Murder-Suicide on his Family or any number of really awful things. It amazes me the immaturity of holding some sort of issue against someone you were at odds with in HS. From the sound of both those stories....there are people who's lives took a significant turn and I find it odd that someone from their past would post some BS about them in ridicule. I can understand if it was positive.....like....It's funny how life turned them back towards what they were running from in College or HS.....but that's really all they were doing back then is running from what they thought wasn't their destiny. Life has a funny way of forcing you to make decision about that you were hell bent against when you were young. In the case of this thread....two people grew up and the other two haven't but think they have.

yankee
3/6/2011, 08:46 PM
Stouptroup, you have a lot of posts on this site. I somehow just realized that and I just really needed to get that off my chest. Carry on.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 08:50 PM
**** happens.

Turd_Ferguson
3/6/2011, 08:56 PM
Darvicet happens.:D:D:D

MR2-Sooner86
3/6/2011, 09:04 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/503044/431583.jpg

This thing blew up quickly. Some of you seem to be taking this personally for some reason. I have no idea why.

Since the issue seems to be clouded I'll shorten it.

- There's this super religious girl I've known forever.
- I get on facebook and see "I'm gonna be a mommy!" with sonogram pictures.
- I think back to how she has been "Praise Jesus or you're going to Hell!" her entire life.
- She hasn't been "Walking with Jesus" too well.
- I see the irony.
- I laugh.

This isn't about high school but more of me laughing at those who don't practice what they preach. That's the irony and it's really funny.

Why do you think I mentioned Reverend Lonnie "Luke" Latham? Same thing going on here.

See the irony and real humor in this is seeing the Charlie Churches look down their nose at others for their shortcomings and then turn around and be a lying hypocrite about it. They're harsh on others but when they do it it's nothing more than "Oops!"

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 09:04 PM
Was talking to my Uncle (A Surgeon) the other day. He had offered my Family a few TU Basketball Tickets as they couldn't go. Anyway we were actually talking about pain killers. He says my Aunt has been using Darvocet for her back and they are now having to look around for new medication as Darvocet has been taken off the market - Probably due to lawsuits. I remember when so many folks were Darvon Freaks when I was in HS. I guess folks even tried to shoot up that stuff.

I've been sending prayers my Aunt's way as she isn't doing to well. She always rooted me on in sports when I was young. I have good memories of her when I was growing up. Hope they find her relief soon.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 09:06 PM
MR....we are all hypocrites. We can't help it. You should throw her a baby shower after apologizing for this thread.

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2011, 09:15 PM
You can turn on the local news and hear tragedies like a Father commited Murder-Suicide on his Family or any number of really awful things. It amazes me the immaturity of holding some sort of issue against someone you were at odds with in HS. From the sound of both those stories....there are people who's lives took a significant turn and I find it odd that someone from their past would post some BS about them in ridicule. I can understand if it was positive.....like....It's funny how life turned them back towards what they were running from in College or HS.....but that's really all they were doing back then is running from what they thought wasn't their destiny. Life has a funny way of forcing you to make decision about that you were hell bent against when you were young. In the case of this thread....two people grew up and the other two haven't but think they have.

First, I've known this girl for 20+ years. Like everyone in HS, we grew up together. I never had a personal issue with her, but it did annoy the hell out of me when she belittled women who chose to be homemakers or didn't have a college education. Her overall attitude could best be described as "snotty."

Like MR2's example, I see some irony in the fact that she became the very thing she absolutely hated in HS. Nothing more than that.

What I do find amazing is that you are so quick to side with two individuals that you absolutely do not know over two people that you have known (if even online) for quite some time. I find that sad and highly disappointing.

OUthunder
3/6/2011, 09:19 PM
:D:D:D

Not anymore. that stuff got yanked off the market.

OUthunder
3/6/2011, 09:21 PM
This thread is ironic but is the knocked up little slut still hittable?

Obviously so....

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 09:26 PM
First, I've known this girl for 20+ years. Like everyone in HS, we grew up together. I never had a personal issue with her, but it did annoy the hell out of me when she belittled women who chose to be homemakers or didn't have a college education. Her overall attitude could best be described as "snotty."

Like MR2's example, I see some irony in the fact that she became the very thing she absolutely hated in HS. Nothing more than that.

What I do find amazing is that you are so quick to side with two individuals that you absolutely do not know over two people that you have known (if even online) for quite some time. I find that sad and highly disappointing.

Apology accepted.

soonerhubs
3/6/2011, 09:29 PM
Apology accepted.

You've gotta take a side. You're either with us or against us!!

http://troglopundit.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/evil-anakin.jpg

:D

MR2-Sooner86
3/6/2011, 09:32 PM
It amazes me the immaturity of holding some sort of issue against someone you were at odds with in HS.

ST despite what many are thinking, this wasn't about some differences from HS. This is about people who think they're better than others and "Holier than Thou" yet when the shoes on the other foot they sing a different tune.

Is it sad when you get down to it? Yes but it doesn't deserve a free pass.

For instances the people at my old church told my mother after my grandma died she "didn't have enough faith" to "let God deal with it" and she was "weak" for taking anti-depressants. She was ostracized from a good chunk of people at church. Yet a few years later my mother found out that a few of those people who said that were put on anti-depressants themselves later on. Obviously it was perfectly alright when it was them but not others. My mother never got an apology or anything. If they were put on anti-depressants because their mother died as well, yes it's sad. It still doesn't change the fact they're ***holes who should've been openly laughed at and ridiculed for the way they treated my mother.

Now, back to the original thread topic, a girl who talked down to others for "not living a Godly life" is all of a sudden not being too moral herself.

If that's who you are, fine. However, condemning people for something, turning around, and doing it yourself gets no sympathy in my book.

MR....we are all hypocrites. We can't help it. You should throw her a baby shower after apologizing for this thread.

The difference with me is I don't pretend to be something I'm not. I'll be the first to admit I'm not religious, don't look to religion for anything in my life, and am an atheist. I'm a godless screwup with no morals who eats babies, I know. I'll actually admit it. There are many out there that won't.

I'm sorry if I offended and/or upset you. I'm not picking on you or trying to slam or upset you. That's how I see things. If we don't see eye to eye, I'm sorry.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 09:33 PM
Here's something i understand. :D

tMCVIlOD9UY

soonerhubs
3/6/2011, 09:44 PM
Want to hear another tale of ironic retribution? I used to judge overweight people in HS, and now I'm overweight.

Ahhh adolescence... A time when personal fables and a sense of invincibility is only the beginning of our efforts to seek identity.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 09:56 PM
ST despite what many are thinking, this wasn't about some differences from HS. This is about people who think they're better than others and "Holier than Thou" yet when the shoes on the other foot they sing a different tune.

Is it sad when you get down to it? Yes but it doesn't deserve a free pass.

For instances the people at my old church told my mother after my grandma died she "didn't have enough faith" to "let God deal with it" and she was "weak" for taking anti-depressants. She was ostracized from a good chunk of people at church. Yet a few years later my mother found out that a few of those people who said that were put on anti-depressants themselves later on. Obviously it was perfectly alright when it was them but not others. My mother never got an apology or anything. If they were put on anti-depressants because their mother died as well, yes it's sad. It still doesn't change the fact they're ***holes who should've been openly laughed at and ridiculed for the way they treated my mother.

Now, back to the original thread topic, a girl who talked down to others for "not living a Godly life" is all of a sudden not being too moral herself.

If that's who you are, fine. However, condemning people for something, turning around, and doing it yourself gets no sympathy in my book.

The difference with me is I don't pretend to be something I'm not. I'll be the first to admit I'm not religious, don't look to religion for anything in my life, and am an atheist. I'm a godless screwup with no morals who eats babies, I know. I'll actually admit it. There are many out there that won't.

I'm sorry if I offended and/or upset you. I'm not picking on you or trying to slam or upset you. That's how I see things. If we don't see eye to eye, I'm sorry.

We all deserve a free pass. It's just not all of us that get to give things a free pass. I was pretty closed minded when I was younger. I had no use for Church or organized Religion. I still have trouble with it to this day when certain things come around. In 1985 I met a Priest on a trip all over Ireland. At night we met in the pub and discussed many things and became friends. After coming Home from overseas I continued to see him around as my Father and him had become close friends. I continued to talk with him and found out just how darn smart he was. Our talks eventually led to hypocrisy and it being the root of why I found it difficult to attend Sundays at the very least. I've never liked Charismatic types much at all and that really hasn't changed much even with the Father's help. I'll never take my beliefs to the level of the gal and her Family did that you had problems with. I'll usually do just like you are right now and let them go their own way. Words from them regarding beliefs just don't bother me anymore. I actually listen a bit closer these days to folks like that but I don't try to convince them they are wrong....that's not my job. What I believe is that if you try and listen to your own heart....you can figure out what to do by listening to your own heart. It's not easy either. I mean really listen. Take a few moments to calm yourself and put the outside noises out of your head and really listen. When I do that...I just don't hear "HA HA!" I don't think telling you what I actually hear will do you any good as I think it's up to each and everyone of us to listen to our own hearts. We are made in the vision of God and each of us have our own personal relationship with God. When you listen....you find your own answers. Hopefully the folks that upset you enough to be ridiculed by you will someday listen to their heart and do a bit less preaching about what they think you and I should do and start to be examples of what we all know is best for all of us in this World.

No hard feelings....take care.

ST

Blue
3/6/2011, 10:17 PM

She is something you are not. A Christian. The difference is when she sins and screws up, she's been forgiven for it. She can move on and not dwell on the past and hold grudges because she forgives and is forgiven (Atleast ideally).

Should she have judged so harshly? Probably not. But many young Christians are prone to do that.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 10:26 PM
I believe that if you are baptized...you are a child of God. I don't go around telling people they aren't Christians. My Kids are all Baptized but it was their own path and the direction of my Wife and I that helped them find God in their Hearts and a path to Christianity. I'll never say one way is better than another.....I believe in a Universal Church. Right now I believe we all are struggling with many issues and hopefully we'll continue to make choices that pleases God as we wait for the Day we enter his Kingdom.

Blue
3/6/2011, 10:31 PM
I believe that if you are baptized...you are a child of God. I don't go around telling people they aren't Christians. My Kids are all Baptized but it was their own path and the direction of my Wife and I that helped them find God in their Hearts and a path to Christianity. I'll never say one way is better than another.....I believe in a Universal Church. Right now I believe we all are struggling with many issues and hopefully we'll continue to make choices that pleases God as we wait for the Day we enter his Kingdom.

On a personal note, I've been being drawn much closer recently and dealt with some conviction of sin and repentance. Many folks around me have as well. It's a great feeling when you feel closer to God than when you don't. Just thought I'd share that.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 10:35 PM
On a personal note, I've been being drawn much closer recently and dealt with some conviction of sin and repentance. Many folks around me have as well. It's a great feeling when you feel closer to God than when you don't. Just thought I'd share that.

If you'd have told me something like what's happened to you Blue would have happened to me as well someday....we would have laughed blown it off and drank another beer in my day. Funny you share that as i can relate completely. Glad things are going well for you in that regard.

Peace be with you Bro.

ST

Blue
3/6/2011, 10:41 PM
If you'd have told me something like what's happened to you Blue would have happened to me as well someday....we would have laughed blown it off and drank another beer in my day. Funny you share that as i can relate completely. Glad things are going well for you in that regard.

Peace be with you Bro.

ST

Heh. Well it's a long journey. And I have a ways to go. :D

You know i was saved when i was 16, but I loved to party. I fought God off and on all through college and my 20's. I knew I had him in me, but I always wanted to do things my way. Then when it would come crashing down all around me I would go back, study the word, pray, beg :D for help. I always knew the sin in my life was what was causing me misery. Yet I'd rinse repeat not strong enough to obey and change.

Just like any child that continues to rebel over and over. I do know that the creator of this reality is All Loving and Long Suffering. He's waited for me and never left.

same to you, ST.

booomer
3/6/2011, 10:45 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/503044/431583.jpg

This thing blew up quickly. Some of you seem to be taking this personally for some reason. I have no idea why.

Since the issue seems to be clouded I'll shorten it.

- There's this super religious girl I've known forever.
- I get on facebook and see "I'm gonna be a mommy!" with sonogram pictures.
- I think back to how she has been "Praise Jesus or you're going to Hell!" her entire life.
- She hasn't been "Walking with Jesus" too well.
- I see the irony.
- I laugh.

This isn't about high school but more of me laughing at those who don't practice what they preach. That's the irony and it's really funny.

Why do you think I mentioned Reverend Lonnie "Luke" Latham? Same thing going on here.

See the irony and real humor in this is seeing the Charlie Churches look down their nose at others for their shortcomings and then turn around and be a lying hypocrite about it. They're harsh on others but when they do it it's nothing more than "Oops!"

How do you know she's not walking with Jesus? No one is perfect....Christian or otherwise, and only God knows the heart. I guess you've never read the story of David in the Bible??? You might want to check it out....it's pretty shocking what this man "who was after God's own heart" did.

AlboSooner
3/6/2011, 10:49 PM
As I grow older, I tend to abide by forgive and forget. Holding grudges hurts everybody.

There is hypocrisy everywhere, in Christianity, in atheism, in capitalism, in communism, in sportism. It's just human nature.
Jesus knew this, that's why he said, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

I don't believe in taking pleasure when a family is destroyed, and people suffer due to their own mistake.

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2011, 10:52 PM
Nobody is holding a grudge here that I can see. MR2 never suggested this girl is no longer a Christian. He was merely pointing out that she herself is now guilty of what she used to condemn others for.

I think the lesson here is that you shouldn't portray yourself as the near perfect example of an ideal and condemn others for not living up to your standards because one day you may be in that same situation...as she was.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 11:13 PM
Here is a bit of wisdom I found in a book my Wife came upon a week ago. It's about how you might best approach a spiritual life. I think this passage might help in this.

False Confidence and Arrogance
It is foolish to put your trust in humans-or in any creature for that matter. Put all your confidence in God, but do not trust yourself.

Do not be proud of any talents or skills you possess, for in this way you displease God from whom you have received them from.

Do not consider yourself better than others, for you may be worse in God's sight.

A humble person is a peaceful person; but the hearts of the proud are full of envy and resentment.

Avoiding Superfluous Words
Discussing Worldly matters, no matter how good the intention, is a great obstacle to the spiritual life.

If you have reason to speak, then speak of God and of those things that will edify.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 11:18 PM
Nobody is holding a grudge here that I can see. MR2 never suggested this girl is no longer a Christian. He was merely pointing out that she herself is now guilty of what she used to condemn others for.

I think the lesson here is that you shouldn't portray yourself as the near perfect example of an ideal and condemn others for not living up to your standards because one day you may be in that same situation...as she was.

I think she was always in the same situation and maybe in a worse situation. It's why I initially threw caution as it might just be that you were turning the tables and it was now both of you that were acting in a manner that she did.

I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't care about my fellow man.

I just can't understand folks who name themselves after the fatted Golden Calf. :D ;)

http://www.huskerj.com/Trophies/outlandtrophy.jpg

tcrb
3/7/2011, 09:01 AM
"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Bourbon St Sooner
3/7/2011, 11:25 AM
When I was in HS I knew everything. Now I know nothing.

tcrb
3/7/2011, 11:37 AM
When I was in HS I knew everything. Now I know nothing.

You must be the parent of at least one teenager. :D

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2011, 11:41 AM
You guys ought to sell these pearls of wisdom to some fortune cookie makers. They're pure gold I tell you.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 12:14 PM
Let's go back to the original story:

Here’s the deal. This girl I went to school with was Miss Christian Xtreme! How extreme? She told us in my senior English class she would never watch The Exorcist because Satan himself is in that film and everybody who was a part of the making of it (director, actors, producers, etc.) were possessed.

I can't believe it. She refused to watch the Exorcist. I can see now why she deserves to have her marriage fail.

In my sophomore American History class the teacher wanted us all to watch Saving Private Ryan in class when discussing World War II, especially D-Day, but anybody who wasn’t comfortable watching it didn’t have to. She was the only person who didn’t watch. Her reasons for not watching was because it’s rated R and if it’s rated R it’s automatically a “bad” movie. Everybody tried to explain to her it’s rated R because it tries to show the realism of the Normandy landings. Her response, “Well I think they could’ve done that without the bad language and excessive violence.” No bitch, those men went through that living Hell so you could have that stuck up “Holier than Thou” attitude.

Okay, they wanted to show a movie, and she opted out. What a jerk!

I went to her birthday party in the7th or 8th grade wearing a “Stone Cold Steve Austin” shirt when wrestling was actually cool and didn’t suck ***. Since he used the “Austin 3:16” he was mocking Jesus and because I was wearing that shirt I wasn’t a real Christian because I supported the “devaluing” of Jesus. Whatever the f*ck that meant.

She didn't like his shirt. Whoa! Can't have that!

Now you’re probably asking, “Who cared and why wasn’t she just ignored?” Well, you know how some people have good genes? Her mother is almost 50 and looks better than some 18-21 year old girls I know so that should tell you all you need to know. So guys put up with her bullsh*t thinking maybe she would become an atheist and become a slut. Not to mention she was a cheerleader, student council, basketball, and was the poster child for “the perfect student any parent would want.”

What a bitch! Serving on the student council, playing basketball...

So where’s the irony? Well Miss “you’re going to Hell” had an affair about two years ago. She told her (now ex) husband, “Well God forgave me so you should too.” I now found out this morning she is going to be having a baby, out of wedlock, and is not even in a committed relationship.

This isn't about a person who hurt people and got her comeuppance. Recognize it for what it is... petty jealousy of someone trying to live to higher ideals, and taking delight when they fail.

OUMallen
3/7/2011, 12:15 PM

I think it's awesome when karma finds its way.

oudavid1
3/7/2011, 12:47 PM

Holy ****, I agree with StoopTroup.

This thread sucks.

what the hell is going on here.

I may not be a good Catholic, and i have been turned down stone cold by women before, but i would never wish harm on someone else.

sooner59
3/7/2011, 01:05 PM
He didn't wish harm, just had a laugh at misfortune. The way I see it, hopefully the girl learned something from it. Sad that she strayed from her path, though. Not sad that she won't be so quick to judge and condemn people. As for me, I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of hearing of that, but I would say "Karma is a bitch, but hopefully she can lead the best life possible from here on out." We all have much to learn and much to improve in our own lives, me included. I just take stories like this and have it remind me to look at my own life.

RacerX
3/7/2011, 01:33 PM
There is bitter slathered all over this thread.

jumperstop
3/7/2011, 01:56 PM
Some people on here get offended too quick, and turned this into a religious thing. I think all MR2 and sic em were saying is churchies are often really hypocritical. They weren't dissing on their believes or christians, ok maybe the latter a little, but they have a good point. Most churches pound the "go out and spread the good news" **** down you throat. For most people at church though, they need to spend a lot more time on themselves first. How can so few people understand what this thread was getting at?

NormanPride
3/7/2011, 02:03 PM
What the **** happened in here? We have threads about recipes for baby, and frequently laugh at idiots who hurt themselves. How is this any different? It's schadenfreude.

C&CDean
3/7/2011, 02:07 PM
Weird thread. Very weird.

jumperstop
3/7/2011, 02:08 PM
What the **** happened in here? We have threads about recipes for baby, and frequently laugh at idiots who hurt themselves. How is this any different? It's schadenfreude.

That's what I was thinking. Now people get offended that someone they don't even know is being made fun...wtf? Maybe it was a recipe for an aborted baby, they don't have souls so it's ok to post bad things about them.

3rdgensooner
3/7/2011, 02:08 PM
What the **** happened in here? We have threads about recipes for baby, and frequently laugh at idiots who hurt themselves. How is this any different? It's schadenfreude.Recipes for baby?

Weird thread. Very weird.I think that about most threads.

SoonerProphet
3/7/2011, 02:13 PM
Has anyone talked about Mike Huckabee yet, his shenanigans kinda fit in this thread. Obesity, moral grandstanding, pregnancy, sheez this thread has it all.

NormanPride
3/7/2011, 02:43 PM
Recipes for baby?

I think that about most threads.

You haven't lived until you've had VK's lemon ginger baby stir fry. Best baby I've ever had.

;)

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 02:45 PM
Hypocrisy is almost always a two-way street. While pointing out the hypocrisy in her ways, some of us have ended up displaying the same behavior we protest.

soonerbrat
3/7/2011, 02:47 PM
I never said she wasn't successful. She has much of what I want for myself. She is the one that used to say that was her definition of unsuccessful. I've never had a problem with the kind of life she's leading -- she's the one that always had a problem with the kind of life she's leading.

That's my point you see...

you want to be a stay at home mom?

JohnnyMack
3/7/2011, 02:48 PM
Hypocrisy is almost always a two-way street. While pointing out the hypocrisy in her ways, some of us have ended up displaying the same behavior we protest.

Kinda like the way you talk all indignantly but are secretly a sexually repressed freakshow with a fetish for dirty skanks?

jumperstop
3/7/2011, 03:04 PM

The difference in pointing her problems out is that she was telling them how to live their lives. MR-2, from the way his story went, never told that woman how to live her life. So he wasn't being a hypocrite because he never claimed himself to be better than her/anyone. But if you claim to be better than other people and especially if you are doing it to the extreme like this girl was, and don't live up to that, you should probably expect people to be thinking that you're a hypocrite you whether it's justified or not.

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2011, 03:16 PM
you want to be a stay at home mom?

I meant the having a family part.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 04:12 PM
Kinda like the way you talk all indignantly but are secretly a sexually repressed....

Yeah, yeah, whatever.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 04:15 PM
The difference in pointing her problems out is that she was telling them how to live their lives.

Where? The story in the OP said nothing like that, only that she refused to participate in their activities. Does she have to... to appear cool? I see arrogance all over the place in the story, and not all of it coming from the girl.

AlboSooner
3/7/2011, 04:27 PM
I think it's awesome when karma finds its way.

I don't think that neither the OP, nor the girl are dead in the original post.

Sooner_Bob
3/7/2011, 04:34 PM
So basically the ironic thing is that this girl turned out to be human?

jumperstop
3/7/2011, 04:49 PM
Where? The story in the OP said nothing like that, only that she refused to participate in their activities. Does she have to... to appear cool? I see arrogance all over the place in the story, and not all of it coming from the girl.

He did say she ripped him for his shirt and the impression he gave in his other post said she was like that too. And to me, making a scene over a movie to prove how christian you are is kinda like talking down to the other students. Like they are not as good as her because they choose to watch a "ungodly" movie. Idk, maybe I'm just knowing where he's coming from because there was a girl at my high school who was the exact same way, except she didn't wait but a few months to become a slut after graduation. We were on a band trip out of state and the bus decided that we were going to watch Harry Potter. Couldn't because miss churchie had to push her beliefs on to us, saying that Harry Potter was the devils work. IT'S A ****ING MOVIE!!! You know what's worse than seeing some made up fiction spells? Being a slut....So maybe if this girl spent more time trying to work on herself, instead of stopping others from watching a movie based on her "beliefs" maybe she would have turned out a better person. If she seriously believed Harry Potter was the devils work, then w/e more power to her. I just don't like the the majority of churches or christians because it's a religion based on converting and pushing your beliefs on other people to make them believe the same way. A good religion is one that tells people to not be like those people and to work on themselves, and through your actions and making yourself a good person that people will want to follow you/your beliefs.

Also, I'm not saying it's right to take pleasure in someone else's troubles either. But I think those who think they are at the point in their relationship with God that they can start giving advice to others shouldn't have troubles like cheating on your husband. I know one of you guys will say "all people make mistakes"...well sounds to me like they had something more important with themselves to be praying/thinking about than what ole Joe over there is believing.

OU_Sooners75
3/7/2011, 04:55 PM
All of you in this thread suck!

jumperstop
3/7/2011, 04:57 PM
All of you in this thread suck!

Does that include you?

OU_Sooners75
3/7/2011, 04:57 PM
Does that include you?

Irony...isnt that the topic of this thread?

I suck at life...yes I do!:D

Mississippi Sooner
3/7/2011, 04:58 PM
Maybe we should all get up and do our little superior dance.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_K6vF5U1Snzo/TCZmVg30P2I/AAAAAAAAAWM/zc8jpaDyfq8/s1600/church+lady.png

jumperstop
3/7/2011, 04:59 PM
Irony...isnt that the topic of this thread?

I suck at life...yes I do!:D

Join the club! :D

OULenexaman
3/7/2011, 05:06 PM
I bet Brandon Weeden is the father...

TUSooner
3/7/2011, 05:44 PM
Seriously...life is full of stories like this...nothing to see here, move along.

word. Last week, a loudmouth local preacher who used to get on a bullhorn to squawk at gays on the streets, was arrested for yanking his doodle while watching little kids ride ride the merry-go-round at a park. It ought to be a riot when Fred Phelps falls.

TUSooner
3/7/2011, 06:08 PM
It's one thing for people to fail to live up to their ideals. Those people should not be ridiculed unless maybe they had very screwy ideals to start with. It's another thing altogether for someone to be caught red-handed in hypocrisy. I'm not sure where that girl fits in. I think of the parable of the sower. Some of these Xtreme Christians are the rocky soil. Rah-Rah Jesus pep rallies and showy displays of cheap and shallow "morality" are all well and good until the hot sunlight of reality starts to burn down. The you realize your roots have to be a little deeper. I don't think that's cause for ridicule, but I can maybe see some reason (not an excuse) for Schadenfreude when people like that finally and painfully realize what others already knew and maybe tried to tell them.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 06:13 PM
He did say she ripped him for his shirt and the impression he gave in his other post said she was like that too. And to me, making a scene over a movie to prove how christian you are is kinda like talking down to the other students. Like they are not as good as her because they choose to watch a "ungodly" movie.

Amazing how we twist what was originally stated to suit our own arrogant positions. Here is what the OP said:

In my sophomore American History class the teacher wanted us all to watch Saving Private Ryan in class when discussing World War II, especially D-Day, but anybody who wasn’t comfortable watching it didn’t have to. She was the only person who didn’t watch. Her reasons for not watching was because it’s rated R and if it’s rated R it’s automatically a “bad” movie. Everybody tried to explain to her it’s rated R because it tries to show the realism of the Normandy landings. Her response, “Well I think they could’ve done that without the bad language and excessive violence.”

All of a sudden that gets translated into "making a scene."

I went to her birthday party in the7th or 8th grade wearing a “Stone Cold Steve Austin” shirt when wrestling was actually cool and didn’t suck ***. Since he used the “Austin 3:16” he was mocking Jesus and because I was wearing that shirt I wasn’t a real Christian because I supported the “devaluing” of Jesus.

That is hardly "ripping" someone.

By the time this story gets told for the fifth time, she will have been making death threats and sending unibomber packages in the mail.

MR2-Sooner86
3/7/2011, 06:37 PM
I was going let this go but obviously you want to keep on going. Lets dance then.

Amazing how we twist what was originally stated to suit our own arrogant positions.

You wouldn't know anything about that now would you?

All of a sudden that gets translated into "making a scene."

Well she did announce to the class it was "morally wrong" so take that however you want.

That is hardly "ripping" someone.

Saying somebody is mocking Jesus due to a shirt and "isn't a real Christian" is "ripping into somebody." It was just a wrestling shirt and all of a sudden I'm being jumped on being told I'm not a real believer and all sorts of other stuff.

I see arrogance all over the place in the story, and not all of it coming from the girl.

So how am I arrogant again?

Two way street huh? Alright.

Would you consider the hypocritical actions of Reverend Lonnie "Luke" Latham and Reverend Grant Storms to be the same as the supposed hypocritical actions being displayed in this thread?

Are those men unjustified in being mocked and ridiculed because they were "trying to live a high moral life" as you've said but simply "made a mistake?"

If they're justified for the light being shed onto them, what makes them different from others, like the girl, for talking out both sides of their mouth?

2121Sooner
3/7/2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah it's not the life she's leading -- it's the fact that she's leading exactly the kind of life that she dismissed and looked down on and swore she would never ever lower herself to leading.

Dude you live with your mom and thought your world was ending when you were told your dog had cancer. This gal has three kids and is raising them......and SHE is the loser?

Uh...ok

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 06:53 PM
I was going let this go but obviously you want to keep on going. Lets dance then.

You wouldn't know anything about that now would you?

I'm as arrogant as they come in here. I've said so before. But for you to take the position that she somehow deserves an unfortunate fate because she didn't like your movies and didn't like your t-shirt is as arrogant as they come.

Well she did announce to the class it was "morally wrong" so take that however you want.

Was she supposed to say that it was morally right? If she thinks it was morally wrong, then she has the perfect right to say so. Sometimes you have to speak out against those things you oppose. Or you can be a lamb and just roll over for people. She chose the former. Nothing in your story indicated she was out of bounds in her behavior.

Saying somebody is mocking Jesus due to a shirt and "isn't a real Christian" is "ripping into somebody."

Sure, if you're incredibly thin-skinned.

Would you consider the hypocritical actions of Reverend Lonnie "Luke" Latham and Reverend Grant Storms to be the same as the supposed hypocritical actions being displayed in this thread?

I don't know who these guys are and I fail to see the relevance unless they grandly announced that they had no plans to see the Exorcist and don't like Austin 3:16 t-shirts.

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2011, 07:08 PM
Dude you live with your mom and thought your world was ending when you were told your dog had cancer. This gal has three kids and is raising them......and SHE is the loser?

Uh...ok

1. I don't live with my mother.
2. I didn't think the world was ending -- I was naturally distraught over the possibility of losing my dog as any dog owner would be that is close to their pet.
3. I never said she was a loser. She is the one that described people who lead the life she now leads as "losers." The irony is that when she was in HS she looked down on, made fun of, and generally detested the kind of life she now leads.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 07:18 PM
2. I didn't think the world was ending -- I was naturally distraught over the possibility of losing my dog as any dog owner would be that is close to their pet.
3. I never said she was a loser. She is the one that described people who lead the life she now leads as "losers." The irony is that when she was in HS she looked down on, made fun of, and generally detested the kind of life she now leads.

Now she was making fun of the life she detested.

I guess if your class wants to watch a movie, you'd better watch it.

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2011, 07:21 PM
Now she was making fun of the life she detested.

I guess if your class wants to watch a movie, you'd better watch it.

I You're getting my story confused with MR2's. She never refused to watch a movie, and I clearly stated in my original post that she detested the idea of being a stay at home mom with kids.

Good lord Leroy, if you're going to comment make sure you get your **** straight.

Viking Kitten
3/7/2011, 07:30 PM
You haven't lived until you've had VK's lemon ginger baby stir fry. Best baby I've ever had.

;)

Why the winky face? Did you not really enjoy it as much as you said? :(

MR2-Sooner86
3/7/2011, 07:38 PM
I'm as arrogant as they come in here. I've said so before. But for you to take the position that she somehow deserves an unfortunate fate because she didn't like your movies and didn't like your t-shirt is as arrogant as they come.

Those were two examples that I said came to my mind. Do you want more like how she felt girls who got pregnant in high school "needed to find Jesus" or how she got upset the senior CD should only have Christian music? I can go on and on if you want?

Was she supposed to say that it was morally right? If she thinks it was morally wrong, then she has the perfect right to say so. Sometimes you have to speak out against those things you oppose. Or you can be a lamb and just roll over for people. She chose the former. Nothing in your story indicated she was out of bounds in her behavior.

Yeah, I'm sorry that what my grandfather went through when he landed on Omaha beach wasn't like The Sound of Music or The Wizard of Oz. That's war. When you say Saving Private Ryan is "the moral equivalent to Eyes Wide Shut" then yeah, you're going to strike a nerve with me. I guess you don't care about respecting veterans and what they went through so I wouldn't expect you to understand. Saying "movies like that destroy our social fabric" (her words, not mine) because they're rated R and "they don't need to be" is, again, striking a nerve with me.

Sure, if you're incredibly thin-skinned.

So her attacking my religious beliefs and attacking my faith is perfectly alright and me not being able to take it is "thin-skinned?" However, when I do the same and question hers then I'm wrong and attacking her? Yup, I see no hypocrisy in that.

I don't know who these guys are and I fail to see the relevance unless they grandly announced that they had no plans to see the Exorcist and don't like Austin 3:16 t-shirts.

I see you didn't feel like Googling them so I'll help you out.
Both preached anti-homosexual messages. One was caught trying to give oral sex to a cop undercover as a male prostitute and the other was caught masturbating watching little kids at a playground.
I mentioned them because I see it as, again, talking out both ends of your mouth and being a hypocrite in your beliefs.

Now that you know who they are, care to answer those questions?

booomer
3/7/2011, 09:02 PM

And all of #3 is hearsay.....but don't let that stop you from passing judgment. :rolleyes:

soonerhubs
3/7/2011, 09:09 PM
Anyone else here like Avocados?

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 09:16 PM
I You're getting my story confused with MR2's. She never refused to watch a movie, and I clearly stated in my original post that she detested the idea of being a stay at home mom with kids.

Good lord Leroy, if you're going to comment make sure you get your **** straight.

If you want to tell your story get your own goddamn thread.

A Sooner in Texas
3/7/2011, 09:22 PM
Anyone else here like Avocados?

In the lemon ginger baby stir fry?

soonerhubs
3/7/2011, 09:23 PM
In the lemon ginger baby stir fry?
More grilled baby. I'm watching my figure.

A Sooner in Texas
3/7/2011, 09:34 PM
More grilled baby. I'm watching my figure.

Aren't we all. ;)

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 09:37 PM
Those were two examples that I said came to my mind. Do you want more like how she felt girls who got pregnant in high school "needed to find Jesus"

Well, they did!

...or how she got upset the senior CD should only have Christian music? I can go on and on if you want?

Oh, you mean embellishing the story to prove your point? No thanks. Been there, seen that.

BTW, there is no irony here. It would be ironic if she got hit by a Bible truck, or her Christian faith led her to ruin. She lost her way, and as a result ended up in trouble. Your story only goes to show that people should keep the faith and not give in to temptation.

But I doubt that was your intention.

Yeah, I'm sorry that what my grandfather went through when he landed on Omaha beach wasn't like The Sound of Music or The Wizard of Oz.

Your problems with her objection to watching the movie are plain bizarre. Her complaint about the movie is perfectly reasonable given her objection to strong language and graphic violence. She doesn't have to want to watch a movie simply because it strikes a chord with you personally.

And nothing in the story insinuates she attacked your religious beliefs. In fact, nothing in your story indicates you even had religious beliefs unless you really did think that WWF was a religion. It was either just a wrestling shirt or a religious symbol. Make up your mind.

I see you didn't feel like Googling them so I'll help you out.
Both preached anti-homosexual messages. One was caught trying to give oral sex to a cop undercover as a male prostitute and the other was caught masturbating watching little kids at a playground.
I mentioned them because I see it as, again, talking out both ends of your mouth and being a hypocrite in your beliefs.

Wait. I'm being attacked because of what some other dudes did? I didn't even know who they were, nor do I care. Do you think for one cotton-pickin' moment that I haven't heard anything about men of the cloth getting in trouble? This is supposed to be a shocker?

But since you wanted me to answer the questions, here goes:

No. Getting pregnant is not quite the same as raping young men.

For some reason, they just don't seem to be the same.

Are those men unjustified in being mocked and ridiculed because they were "trying to live a high moral life" as you've said but simply "made a mistake?"

They deserved to be mocked and ridiculed for what they did, not for attempting to lead a clean life earlier in their lives. If they turned their backs on God and started engaging in illegal behavior, then they deserve the criticism for that behavior.

If they're justified for the light being shed onto them, what makes them different from others, like the girl, for talking out both sides of their mouth?

Nothing you have told us indicates that the girl led an indecent life while she was preaching up a storm in high school. So where's the hypocrisy?

I have a friend who used to be a drug addict but has now become a born-again Christian. Does that make him a hypocrite? Does that mean he deserves horrible things to happen to him now? Because that's pretty much your argument.

soonerhubs
3/7/2011, 09:40 PM
Aren't we all. ;)

:D

Why don't more people drink Dr. Pepper?

soonerhubs
3/7/2011, 09:42 PM
Tosh.0 makes me smile. Did anyone watch his new comedy special?

sooner59
3/7/2011, 11:37 PM
Yep. Both of his comedies were funny. His comedy will detest most people...namely Leroy. But I think its funny as hell. Funnier than his Tosh.0 show because he just talks about anything he wants. And he even made fun of Tulsa in his "Completely Serious" standup.