PDA

View Full Version : UT's go-to reciever next year

Rocko
3/5/2011, 11:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/26280/davis-emerging-as-horns-go-to-guy

He accounted for 478 yards and two receiving touchdowns, tied for the team lead. Their offense truly was pathetic last year.

Anyways, I prefer our go-to freshman.

http://blog.newsok.com/photo/files/2010/11/Kenny-Stills-532x338.jpg

786 yards, 5 TDs

JLEW1818
3/5/2011, 11:17 PM
5-7

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 11:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/26280/davis-emerging-as-horns-go-to-guy

Their offense truly was pathetic last year.

Anyways, I prefer our go-to freshman.

http://blog.newsok.com/photo/files/2010/11/Kenny-Stills-532x338.jpg

786 yards, 5 TDs

Our go to freshman? Are you forgetting about Franks, Mccay, and possibly Metroyer? What about our big boy Miller?

Our WR corps is so deep.

Rocko
3/5/2011, 11:24 PM
Our go to freshman? Are you forgetting about Franks, Mccay, and possibly Metroyer? What about our big boy Miller?

Our WR corps is so deep.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, it was only a snark rebuttle to the idea that Mike Davis was UTs go-to reciever.

I realize how deep our WR position is, and I love it!

And which Miller? Dejuan is a Senior.

oudavid1
3/5/2011, 11:26 PM
AUSTIN, Texas -- Mike Davis didn't catch a pass in his first game as a Longhorn, but in 10 other games, he finished with 47 catches as a true freshman. He accounted for 478 yards and two receiving touchdowns, tied for the team lead.

With 2010's leading receiver, James Kirkendoll, out of eligibility, Davis is charged with taking control of the Longhorns' receiving corps in just his second year in the program. So far, he's taken advantage of the opportunity.

"Right now, he would be the go-to receiver on our team," said coach Mack Brown. "He’s really had three great days of practice, not good days. We’ve been impressed."

A knee injury kept Davis out of his first Red River Rivalry and set him back in the middle of the season, Brown said. But early on in his career, he's already showing signs of leadership that can be passed down to others in the program.

"We’d have 6 a.m. meetings and Mike is sitting out at the door at 5," Brown said. "He’s just so anxious, but he really loves football, loves to play, loves to compete, loves to practice. He’s got the passion you need for it."

He's impressed on the field as a route-runner, and Brown complimented the sophomore on his hands and his head, which has helped him rack up a 3.7 GPA with three semesters at Texas behind him.

After practice, he's on the field for 30 minutes catching extra passes.

"He can be a great player, not just a good player," Brown said. "He’s talented, he can catch, he’s tough, he’s smart. He’s got excellent hands. He runs really good routes. He’s got to learn to block better, but he knows that."

The biggest factor needed to get Davis from good to great is simple.

"It’ll be quarterback play," Brown said. "He’ll do his part. We’ve just got to get him the ball."

I remember getting that email in Fort Worth the day before saying Texas had lost Mike Davis, I knew right there that we would win. He is a playmaker.

This sounds like a solid kid. I would be dam proud to have him as a Sooner.

SOONER STEAKER
3/5/2011, 11:35 PM
UT should first find a QB whio can pass and then find a go-to WR.

Rocko
3/5/2011, 11:37 PM

Exactly, Texas is missing the most important piece of the puzzle, and right now it sounds like Mack is wanting to stick with The Grape. Good news I guess.

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:37 PM
I would be dam proud to have him as a Sooner.

Relax my man. That may be the case, but as of now he is still the enemy.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 12:10 AM
He's a good player, but UT probably needs a few more like him. Not sure what happened to their freshman class.

Rocko
3/6/2011, 01:10 AM
He's a good player, but UT probably needs a few more like him. Not sure what happened to their freshman class.

A few of them we're quoted saying something very strange following the season.

"I was gonna win the football, but then I got high."

Tigeman
3/6/2011, 03:52 PM
In a few weeks he'll be crashing into buildings.

This is the same BS Mack pumps out about his guys. Next week he'll be saying the same about someone else. Last week it was Gideon they were talking about. It was almost verbatim what they said above. It's the company line.

bluedogok
3/6/2011, 06:33 PM
I bet Jaxon Shipley will become "the go-to guy" real quick for UT. He could make Gilbert look Chris Simms like.

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 06:51 PM
"We’d have 6 a.m. meetings and Mike is sitting out at the door at 5," Brown said.

Darn it!! We have an early arrival gap! I want our coaches taking names of any player not there at 4:45 for any 6am meetings!

:eek:

swardboy
3/6/2011, 08:15 PM
Or he could be another 6 on the wonderlic..."When the big hand is on the..."

Jacie
3/6/2011, 08:15 PM
I bet Jaxon Shipley will become "the go-to guy" real quick for UT. He could make Gilbert look Chris Simms like.

Only if Case beats Gilby for the starting QB job . . .

Ruf/Nek7
3/6/2011, 08:58 PM
I'm going to go with the ut ball boy and even he will drop passes like T.O. in 2008.

jmillerfan
3/7/2011, 06:58 PM
The kid with the best hands on that team was a redshirt last year and his name is John Harris. I wanted John to commit to OU when he was making his choices. He is somewhat of a Calvin Johnson like player. I think he will surprise a lot of people. I like Davis for his big play ability and have seen John most of his high school career and I honestly can't say I ever saw him drop a pass. Never and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I'm being very sincere. He's always been grossly under thrown or over thrown. I say it speaks volumes as he held an OU offer his junior year.

Rocko
3/7/2011, 08:01 PM
The kid with the best hands on that team was a redshirt last year and his name is John Harris. I wanted John to commit to OU when he was making his choices. He is somewhat of a Calvin Johnson like player. I think he will surprise a lot of people. I like Davis for his big play ability and have seen John most of his high school career and I honestly can't say I ever saw him drop a pass. Never and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I'm being very sincere. He's always been grossly under thrown or over thrown. I say it speaks volumes as he held an OU offer his junior year.

J. Miller's dad right? I got to watch Davis light up my High School's secondary too! Hah!

jmillerfan
3/7/2011, 08:13 PM
J. Miller's dad right? I got to watch Davis light up my High School's secondary too! Hah!

tis me...and davis was good real good in high school...i think though the best hands on the team belong to john harris...harris has some deceptive speed and exceptional hands

JLEW1818
3/7/2011, 08:13 PM
5-7

SoonerOX
3/7/2011, 10:31 PM
What ever happened to Darius White? He was a guy that OU was in on late before he committed to bevo poop.

JLEW1818
3/7/2011, 10:36 PM
he got PT as a true freshman last year.

still too early to tell

Honest to god, he told me Oklahoma State would have been his second option. dunno y?

afs
3/7/2011, 11:25 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HWGqXCulPHQ/TPF1DOl-SPI/AAAAAAAAAL4/bRnWBP4EXys/s320/Air+Bud+Golden+Receiver.jpg

OUmillenium
3/8/2011, 09:41 AM
I can't believe nobody has posted a pic of Travis Lewis?

TahoeSOONER
3/8/2011, 11:19 AM
It was a big sigh of relief when Davis went out last year for the RRS because he was clearly their best WR.

I never like to see kids get hurt but it helped our chances.

Herr Scholz
3/8/2011, 12:32 PM
FYI, the top 3 WRs running with the 1st team right now are Mike Davis, John Harris and DeSean Hales. Darius White will definitely play this year. Malcolm Williams has been out for Spring practices so far. Marquis Goodwin is running track.

CowboyMRW
3/8/2011, 12:40 PM
he got PT as a true freshman last year.

still too early to tell

Honest to god, he told me Oklahoma State would have been his second option. dunno y?

I think it had something to do with he had a relative play here or something along those lines. I thought we had him to be honest.

oudavid1
3/8/2011, 12:51 PM
FYI, the top 3 WRs running with the 1st team right now are Mike Davis, John Harris and DeSean Hales. Darius White will definitely play this year. Malcolm Williams has been out for Spring practices so far. Marquis Goodwin is running track.

I thought Malcolm has graduated, silly me.

I heard Goodwin wasnt coming back?

Darius White has to be better than Harris?

TahoeSOONER
3/8/2011, 01:08 PM

Young but talented. Now can they get down field before GG get's put on his ***?

Herr Scholz
3/8/2011, 01:25 PM
Yes, our problem right now is not having a lot of talented, young receivers but rather a QB who can get them the ball.

John Harris is supposedly opening up a lot of eyes right now in practice. Goodwin and Williams will both be back this fall. Darius White should also make strides this year.

TahoeSOONER
3/8/2011, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't say your QB is a problem. I can see a lot of potential if he get's some time back there and folks forget that he was a young QB behind a team with a pretty bad Oline with zero identity on offense. When you can't run and you have very few playmakers at WR you're putting a ton of pressure on a young QB.

Texas will be good next year and back in the mix in two years. Rebuilding can be a good thing but it's going to take time. I for one hope it takes a decade or two.

PalmBeachSooner
3/8/2011, 01:55 PM
He doesn't seem to fit in at Texas. He needs to realize that he is a Texas Longhorn and with that comes entitlements. Dude needs to backoff.

JLEW1818
3/8/2011, 02:00 PM
big season for mack. this is how elite teams go down for a long time. the right decisions need to be made.

Herr Scholz
3/8/2011, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't say your QB is a problem.
I would. The guy turns the ball over WAY too much and absolutely panics whenever he's pressured at all. He just doesn't have "it" IMO. And I don't buy the youth argument. McCoy did great things his Fr. year. Gilbert's going to be a junior this year. I really hope Connor Wood takes the job. He's the best athlete we have with the biggest arm. We're starting over anyway.

OUmillenium
3/8/2011, 02:26 PM
i before e except after _?_

BoulderSooner79
3/8/2011, 02:27 PM
i before e except after _?_

Sex?

Salt City Sooner
3/8/2011, 02:55 PM
I would. The guy turns the ball over WAY too much and absolutely panics whenever he's pressured at all. He just doesn't have "it" IMO. And I don't buy the youth argument. McCoy did great things his Fr. year. Gilbert's going to be a junior this year. I really hope Connor Wood takes the job. He's the best athlete we have with the biggest arm. We're starting over anyway.
You really should consider becoming a Sooner fan, because your first sentence is EXACTLY what a big, BIG chunk of our fanbase was saying about Jones this time last year, & I'd say he's turning out pretty well. As for the McCoy comparison, that's not exactly fair, IMO. The guy won more games than any QB in NCAA history (not to mention setting the frosh TD record at the time), a more than lofty standard to live up to. This too, reminds me of last off-season, when we had a buttload of chicken littles running around screaming "BUT HE'S NOT SAM!!!!"

Give GG a decent running game (& this obviously includes substantial improvement on the OL), a couple of WR's who step their game up a bit, ala Davis last year, & an OC who actually knows what to do with a QB who can't bail him out w/ their legs every other down like UT has had since 2003. If he's still struggling after that, I'll be on board w/ replacing him, but not until he's had a fair shot, which he has not yet had, IMO.

NormanPride
3/8/2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah it's hard to be QB when your WRs are running bad routes, not getting separation, dropping balls, OL isn't blocking, and you're the primary run threat while not being a running QB.

But yeah, the dude sucks. :D

Sooner74
3/8/2011, 03:20 PM
It's funny because your remember that guy Dan Buckner? He seemed like he was really going to step up until he got released from the team. I found out not less than a month later that he was one of the dudes I played with on XBOX360. Had no clue. I would have given him so much crap.

Herr Scholz
3/8/2011, 03:24 PM
We'll see in the new offense. I just remember the A&M game when we've got the ball on their 8 about to go up 14-0 in the 2nd quarter and he couldn't even hand off the ball. Fumble lost. Then they bust one for 84 up the gut and tie the game. Totally blew the momentum. Tied at half, then he comes out and promptly throws a terrible pick on our side of the field to start the 2nd half and we're down the rest of the game. Then with the ball on their 12 at the end of the game, he telegraphs a pass that gets batted and picked. When we were driving the ball at the end of that game to tie it, nobody felt like he would seal the deal and get it in the endzone.

Not to mention the other 6 losses we had. I know it's not all on him (terrible OTs who couldn't hold the edge, weak rush defense due to weakness in the middle, poor playcalling, dumb defensive penalties all year, etc.) but he certainly didn't do anything special to help us out in those games. Plus 17 picks and 10 TDs on the season isn't real shiny. Plus, he has a penchant for putting the ball on the grass whenever someone breathes on him.

NormanPride
3/8/2011, 03:43 PM
His confidence had been completely destroyed at that point. Remember him playing against us? He looked pretty good at times. It was after the defense got tired of bailing Davis out, and the losses started piling up that he turned into a shell of himself. I predict he looks okay in the spring game. Starting another true freshman QB would be a mistake at this point.

BoulderSooner79
3/8/2011, 03:44 PM
Not to mention the other 6 losses we had. I know it's not all on him (terrible OTs who couldn't hold the edge, weak rush defense due to weakness in the middle, poor playcalling, dumb defensive penalties all year...

I thought that unsportsmanlike on Jeffcoat in our game showed wisdom beyond his years. :D

KantoSooner
3/8/2011, 03:48 PM
Hey Herr, What do you think of Muschamp's departure. As much as it pains me to say so, I think you guys will be way better off without him. But you're closer to the situation. What's your take?

Herr Scholz
3/8/2011, 03:50 PM
I thought that unsportsmanlike on Jeffcoat in our game showed wisdom beyond his years. :D

Yeah, our D wasn't real smart that day. I think we helped you guys on every single one of your scoring drives except for one.

Herr Scholz
3/8/2011, 03:55 PM
His confidence had been completely destroyed at that point. Remember him playing against us? He looked pretty good at times. It was after the defense got tired of bailing Davis out, and the losses started piling up that he turned into a shell of himself. I predict he looks okay in the spring game. Starting another true freshman QB would be a mistake at this point.

Plausible. I wouldn't say he did anything special against you guys though. Connor Wood's a RS Fr btw and he's been reported to be the fastest/most athletic/strongest arm of the bunch. But you never know if he has it above the shoulders. I'll defer to whoever Applewhite and Harsin feel gives us the best chance in the new scheme. I do know Connor's been busting his tail all offseason and is doing all he can to win the job. We'll see.

Herr Scholz
3/8/2011, 04:00 PM
Hey Herr, What do you think of Muschamp's departure. As much as it pains me to say so, I think you guys will be way better off without him. But you're closer to the situation. What's your take?

The infighting with the coaching staff (Muschamp vs. Davis and the old guard) had a big detrimental effect on our D last year IMO. That and the D seeing we couldn't score. More in terms of the players getting down not coaching. I was sad to see Muschamp go but happy for him. Hopefully Diaz will do well. I thought a combo of Muschamp and Applewhite/Harsin would've worked well.

sendbaht
3/8/2011, 06:27 PM

What do you mean SOONER-STEAKER....their OB can pass....he sure knows how to throw interceptions. He throws them on the numbers. I like the guy. Fun to watch.

jmillerfan
3/8/2011, 08:05 PM
I thought Malcolm has graduated, silly me.

I heard Goodwin wasnt coming back?

Darius White has to be better than Harris?

Having seen John most of his high school career he will be pretty hard to beat he didn't have many chances because Jonathon was the running back but he made some phenomenal catches and has very deceptive speed. A strong receiver and OU did offer him his junior year if that says anything. Unfortunately he was forced to play QB his senior year and not a lot of schools really got to see what the kid can do. I have personally worked with the kid (shoot me) while they were in high school but his family really wanted him to go to ut. Believe me I tried because I assure you he is a playmaker. A definite miss but wasn't anything the coaches did wrong. John was sold on ut is all. I can't speak on White but he would have to be pretty darn good to outdo john.