PDA

View Full Version : The Team Didnt Quit On Capel. . . .

oudavid1
3/5/2011, 06:11 PM
And im not ready to either.

1 more year!

sooner518
3/5/2011, 06:13 PM
Ill give him one more year, begrudgingly. Not sure what my expectation are though.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 06:24 PM
Well, he did slightly improve in conference play from last season, even with a less talented team.

Now we get Baylor...I think we can beat them if we play a good game. If so, he is definitely getting 1 more year!

Eielson
3/5/2011, 06:31 PM
I'd give him one more year. NCAA's or bust, though.

Soonerus
3/5/2011, 06:34 PM
The landscape of college basketball has changed so much I think he should have another year.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 06:36 PM

Well...I almost agree totally...I say NIT or better or bust!

soonervegas
3/5/2011, 06:48 PM
17-13 and a CBI birth straight ahead.....

That will be worth a lifetime contract to some of you.

StoopTroup
3/5/2011, 06:49 PM
Maybe they played like he wasn't there

LiveLaughLove
3/5/2011, 07:34 PM
Good win. Glad for the kids. I wouldn't expect them to just go out there and lay down on Cade's Senior Day at home in Bedlam.

Saying he should get another year because of a close home win against an lower half of the conference team doesn't warrant another year for a coach.

I sincerely believe Joe C. will give him another year so the "one more year" crowd should get what they want. It's not what I want, but I'm nobody in the grand scheme of Sooner athletics. I'll endure one more year and wish for the best for the kids.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 07:37 PM
Good win. Glad for the kids. I wouldn't expect them to just go out there and lay down on Cade's Senior Day at home in OU-OSU.

Saying he should get another year because of a close home win against an lower half of the conference team doesn't warrant another year for a coach.

I sincerely believe Joe C. will give him another year so the "one more year" crowd should get what they want. It's not what I want, but I'm nobody in the grand scheme of Sooner athletics. I'll endure one more year and wish for the best for the kids.

Well, we did improve in conference play this year (very slightly)....so it does say something.

yankee
3/5/2011, 07:41 PM
Well, we did improve in conference play this year (very slightly)....so it does say something.

And with the least talented team in the entire conference.

GDC
3/5/2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe they played like he wasn't there
:D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/5/2011, 08:49 PM

TT has less talent and ISU has about the same.

I would give Capel one more year. I don't have a magic number of wins. I would say bubble team with signs that we will continue to improve.

royalfan5
3/5/2011, 08:59 PM
Man, y'all are starting to sound like Nebrasketball fans.

yankee
3/5/2011, 10:09 PM
TT has less talent and ISU has about the same.

We'll just agree to disagree. Not only do I think those teams are more talented, they are definitely way more experienced.

yankee
3/5/2011, 10:17 PM
And im not ready to either.

Ok Heath Ledger...

oumartin
3/5/2011, 10:26 PM
There was a game today? Huh, go figure.

The Thunder won last night, two game win streak with Phoenix coming into town.

Cheaper tickets and a better product and show.

GDC
3/6/2011, 11:47 AM
It is sad and pathetic how low Capel has forced our expectations of the once proud OU basketball program.

badger
3/6/2011, 12:10 PM
Why? He's done nothing but bad things for us. Time to move on!

EDIT: this was np, not baj. np really should sign me out in topics like this, hehe

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 01:13 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4aD_tmWNohg/TLSOK1DS7HI/AAAAAAAAC5s/kDsJRyajee0/s1600/political-pictures-rioting-crowd-torches-frankenstein.jpg

BOB LABLAW
3/6/2011, 05:10 PM
It is sad and pathetic how low Capel has forced our expectations of the once proud OU basketball program.

Indeed!! I remember enjoying successful bball after a successfull fball season. It's good to be a Sooner. Could Sherri coach the guys?

Saul Good
3/6/2011, 05:22 PM

And who is responsible for bringing in the talent?

Having the worst talent in the conference is not a badge of honor and definitely not a feather in someones cap when they win a game or two with said junky talent. The job requires people to recruit talent, retain talent, then coach up that talent.

badger
3/6/2011, 07:57 PM
Indeed!! I remember enjoying successful bball after a successfull fball season. It's good to be a Sooner. Could Sherri coach the guys?

Sherri's got her own issues right about now. We got beat by two unranked upstarts that had no biznezz beating us (Colorado and Tech, both on the road).

NP disagrees with me on this, but Capel will stay another year. He does not deserve it, but he will. However, eff him if he has an up year and wants a pay hike. Screw the mentality that this is a biz where you have to have comparable salaries to other coaches... how bout comparable results overall to other coaches for more than just BG's years first?!

1., Bill Self, Kansas, $3 million
2., Rick Barnes, Texas, $2 million
3., Travis Ford, Oklahoma St., $1.8 million
4., Mike Anderson, Missouri, $1.55 million
5., Jeff Capel, Oklahoma, $1.5 million
6., Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M, $1.2 million
6., x-Pat Knight, Texas Tech, $1.2 million
8., Greg McDermott, Iowa State, $950,000
9., y-Scott Drew, Baylor, $900,000
10., Doc Sadler, Nebraska, $829,000
11., Frank Martin, Kansas State, $760,000
12., Jeff Bzdelik, Colorado, $750,000
• x — Knight’s contract specifies him to be paid the median of Big 12 coaching salaries
• y — Drew’s pay is estimated. Baylor, a private school, doesn’t release contract figures
Source: University documents, interviews, newspaper reports.

Those are the 2010 stats, so a few might be outdated... regardless, overpaid. :mad:

OUthunder
3/6/2011, 08:21 PM

werd. I'd rather watch tennis.

PDXsooner
3/6/2011, 09:25 PM
I really like Capel, but unfortunately he has taken a team that was a perennial 20-win team since the early 80's and in 2 years turned us into Iowa State. He has next year to get to the tourney, otherwise he should be jettisoned ASAP.

Ton Loc
3/6/2011, 09:43 PM
I'll support whatever Joe C does. Really, I have no other choice.

On the other hand, I'm fine with giving him another year. What's the difference? Let him struggle and pull off a couple more wins or throw some other mid level replacement coach into a mess he doesn't deserve.

I really wish him well though.

yankee
3/6/2011, 11:49 PM
I'll support whatever Joe C does. Really, I have no other choice.

This.

In Joe I trust.

Blue
3/6/2011, 11:55 PM
After hiring Stoops, he's got a lifetime pass.

Collier11
3/7/2011, 12:27 AM

This

Bourbon St Sooner
3/7/2011, 09:29 AM
I'm sure he's going to get another year and I'm fine with that. To me there's a couple of evaluation points next year. On the court, I doubt if we're an NCAA tourney team next year, so we better be an NIT team. In recruiting, he's got to show that he's recovered from that fiasco of last year. He needs to get better athletes than some of these stiffs like Nick Thompson and Barry Honore.

LiveLaughLove
3/7/2011, 12:44 PM
After hiring Stoops, he's got a lifetime pass.

Not with myself or the other Sooner fans that I know.

Stoops was a great hire no doubt at all. He wasn't a big risk though either. Several teams had him as their number one guy. Joe did a great job of being the one to get him, but Bud and Barry (our great history) were responsible also according to Stoops himself. Joe just didnt need to mess it up, and to his credit he didnt.

The baseball fiasco was a fiasco that is ending up better for it having happened, but no way did Joe know that at the time.

The thing that put him in a little hotter water and made him human was the moving to another conference thing.

OU came off looking impotent and letting Texas have all of the power. That was like losing 10 years in a row to them to me, and very much took the shine off of him and Boren. I dont hold either in as high regard as I did before.

Back to Capel though. He doesnt need another year, but he will probably get it. I dont see what good a couple of wins improvement next year would do to this once very good program.

OU is not a mid-range job, it was a upper 25% job. Maybe not top ten, but certainly 15-25 range. It deserves a better coach than this.