PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Options

Mjcpr
3/5/2011, 03:51 PM
So I got options...

Took my wife's 2005 Jeep Liberty (67k miles) to get new tires and to find out what was making a squeaking noise up front when going over a bump. I thought it may be time for struts so the estimate for tires and struts was $1,060.00. They checked it out and while the struts aren't terrible, they are due for replacement at 60k miles but the bushings and bushing mounts (I think that's what he said, I have no clue) need to be replaced and are cracked and/or metal on metal (probably causing my noise). Total bill $2,100.00.

I don't do any major project like that that I don't get 3 estimates or so and I don't want to get the tires without fixing the other stuff in case it could cause the tires to wear improperly sooooo...I said don't do any of it, I need to figure out my options.

It's paid for and probably worth $9k or so. Should I a) pay for the repairs, b) get some of the repairs or 3) forget the repairs that are 1/5 the value of the thing, trade it in a on a new car? My truck is still going strong but I'll have to replace it one day....if I buy now, this car would be paid off when that time comes probably so that's a bonus but I hate to buy a new car and enjoy those payments although I'm considering paying for the new one and making payments to myself or taking advantage of 0% financing if I can get it.

Go.

Mongo
3/5/2011, 03:58 PM
Sell it. Then ride along side Biker Fox

Mjcpr
3/5/2011, 04:03 PM
Sell it. Then ride along side Biker Fox

He offers lap and mustache rides only.

StoopTroup
3/5/2011, 04:09 PM
BikerFox is way to busy trying to avoid AIDS.

Whet
3/5/2011, 04:13 PM
Buy a new car.

OUthunder
3/5/2011, 04:21 PM
I ran into the same problem last year. I had an 07 truck, that I had equity in but I knew that the rear end was going out. I Noticed a $5000 rebate on the same truck (new), found one loaded to the teeth, and purchased it. Got the rebate and 3.9% financing. To me that was a great deal because not only did I get a newer vehicle, I also dropped my monthly payment almost $200 a month due to the APR that I had before. I was gonna have a payment either way, lowering and upgrading made sense to me.

If you have the means, I'd buy something you like. If you absolutely hate car payments, repair the old one and hope that it doesn't cost you more in the future.

Also, % rates are on there way up, so if you buy, do it soon. Good luck!

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 04:34 PM
I would keep the vehicle and fix the problems but not do the struts...if the car doesn't bounce several times after a bump the struts are fine..

AT 67k your cost per mile will kill you...

Newbomb Turk
3/5/2011, 04:52 PM
If you have the means, I'd buy something you like.

do you know how many fireplaces he has?

OUthunder
3/5/2011, 05:00 PM

More than one?

Newbomb Turk
3/5/2011, 05:07 PM

More than one?

he tried to figure it once, but lost count.

yermom
3/5/2011, 05:19 PM
with 67k miles, i'd think there is a lot of life left in that car

i'd think tires and struts are a small price to pay for not buying a new car. both of those things need replacing a some point, generally

buy Olevet a case of Natty and have him do it for you :D

OUthunder
3/5/2011, 05:48 PM
he tried to figure it once, but lost count.

Sounds like my pal Bob. :D

Sooner5030
3/5/2011, 06:14 PM
The money spent to have someone repair the vehicle is equal or less than the transactional costs associated with replacing the vehicle. Just saying.

Right now you are not paying to service the debt on the vehicle and the only expense is the non-cash depreciation along with maintenance.

I'd keep the vehicle and maybe learn to do the repairs myself or find a buddy with a garage.