PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Probe

Sooner70
3/5/2011, 11:09 AM
Houston Chronicle reports today "Houstonian is linked to probe of Oregon".
By Joseph Duarte

"Some local high school football said Friday they prevent their athletes from having access to Willie Lyles, the Houston man at the center of an NCAA probe into whether he received payment to steer top prospects to Oregon.

"We've been told to stay away from, keep your kids away from him," one local coach said...In separate interviews to other coaches echoed his statement.

Yahoo Sports and ESPN.com reported Friday that Lyles received $25,000 payment through his Houston based company, Complete Scouting Services, which advertises a national scouting & video database. Both Yahoo and ESPN published a University of Orgon Purechase Order, dated 3/24/10, for $25,000 payable to Lyles.

ESPN.com also reported the NCAA in investigating any involement Lyles may have had in the Oregon recruitment of Temple running back Lache Seastrunk, which has a mentoring relationship with Lyles.

In a release, the Oregon Athletic Dept said it's dealings with Lyles and Baron Flenory of Dallas, .....are within acceptable NCAA guidelines"

.....article goes on to document Lyles Texas ties and efforts to reach him have gone unanswered.

Texas HS coaches have apparently had mixed feelings aobut dealign with Oregon, although seems they've been pretty successful in this area.

TahoeSOONER
3/5/2011, 11:22 AM
http://www.tvfanatic.com/gallery/cartman-gets-an-anal-probe-pic/

StoopTroup
3/5/2011, 04:07 PM
Getting probed by an Oregon is pretty much an hourly occurance in Austin....I don't find it to surprizing that it's begun to spread across tejas like a wildfire.

OUthunder
3/5/2011, 04:11 PM
I thought this was gonna be a thread about the Oregon cheerleaders. I must say that I'm extremely disappointed.

sooner518
3/5/2011, 04:41 PM
"Some high school football said" that? Amazing.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 05:14 PM
I think this is going to get a whole lot more involved.

Jacie
3/5/2011, 05:30 PM
"ESPN.com also reported the NCAA in investigating any involement Lyles may have had in the Oregon recruitment of Temple running back Lache Seastrunk, which has a mentoring relationship with Lyles."

Have you ever had a mentoring relationship? Exactly what is that, anyway?

mentoring –verb (used without object)
3. to act as a mentor: He spent years mentoring to Lache Seastrunk.

Kind of reminds me of the relationship between Batman and Robin. Robin was always described as Bruce Wayne's young ward.

What the hell is a young ward? I thought that was the Beaver's dad was before he met June.

Well, Oregon may think they were "within the allowable NCAA guidelines" (see http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=Ao9SqnL4f4Ztna8VZRwthEAcvrYF?slug=ap-oregon-recruits) but this one is starting to smell like someone forgot to put the raw hamburger in the fridge last night. In my continuing love/hate relationship with the NCAA, I hope that bunch gets their collective act together and finds out the truth on this one and I will give em some more love . . .

NorCal Sooner
3/5/2011, 05:57 PM
I thought this was gonna be a thread about the Oregon cheerleaders. I must say that I'm extremely disappointed.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1101/cfb-bcs-championship-cheerleaders/images/oregon-cheerleader-YP4_3437.jpg

I bet there is a lot of probing of the Oregon cheerlearders go on all of the time....

sooner518
3/5/2011, 06:08 PM
"ESPN.com also reported the NCAA in investigating any involement Lyles may have had in the Oregon recruitment of Temple running back Lache Seastrunk, which has a mentoring relationship with Lyles."

was this article seriously written by a newspaper? it sounds like it was possibly written by Seastrunk himself. Or Tommy Mason-Griffin.

ictsooner7
3/5/2011, 06:20 PM
Oregon needs a good probing.

Jacie
3/7/2011, 12:12 PM
Sounds like that is what they will get.

Oregon, and others, should be nervous
By Bruce Feldman

From Paul in Oakland: As a Ducks fan, how worried should I be about this recruiting services story?

If you're an Oregon fan, you should be very nervous. And if you're a fan of a lot of big programs, you probably shouldn't be too giddy about the Ducks' predicament, as I'll explain in a moment.

On Thursday night, ESPN reported that the NCAA is examining whether a Texas man helped steer recruits to Oregon. Ducks officials admitted in a statement that they had paid the man $25,000 in the spring of 2010 for recruiting services. The man is a former Texas-based trainer named Willie Lyles, and the recruit in question was former blue-chip prospect Lache Seastrunk, a redshirt freshman running back from Temple, Texas.

Keep in mind that the NCAA has been determined to slow down or stop the the AAU-ization of college football via street agents, runners and dubious middle men that have popped up at a staggering rate in the past few years through the proliferation of the offseason recruiting business and 7-on-7 world.

Coach Chip Kelly and Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens said they are confident that Oregon's actions are nothing that should seem out of order. "Our compliance office signed off on it," Mullens told the Oregonian.

The NCAA is going to have some more questions about this, starting with an examination of Lyles' business. How many other schools were buying his service? What information -- recruiting film databases and recruiting updates -- was he providing for that really high fee?

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2011, 03:43 PM
Seastrunk just transferred to Baylor.

I'm not sure this was necessary on our part. I find myself opposed.

rekamrettuB
8/23/2011, 03:53 PM

Baylor is fine...as long as there ain't no check w/ Lyles name on it somewhere. What is funny tho is that Oregon is going to let this kid go with no fight at all. Maybe his grandma is sick but it's awful, awful coincidental that this is the kid linked to Lyles and Oregon and then he transfers.

SoonerNomad
8/23/2011, 04:48 PM

I generally share this same sentiment on things like this. Why ask for problems? however, you have to trust the coaches that they have done their homework and feel comfortable that there will not be more problems in the future.