PDA

View Full Version : $120k Job at OUHSC for Askins

OU Engineer
3/5/2011, 11:08 AM
I'm sure you've all seen by now, but our wonderful University President D. Bo has "created" a $120k/year position for ex-gubernatorial candidate Jari Askins at the OUHSC.

According to the DOK article it's basically an external PR position. Here are the issues I have with it:

OU has been increasing tuition and fees steadily for the past few years, this is another reason they'll use to up them some more.

OU already has a hiring freeze in place, and if you really need this position, why not hire 3 recent OU PR grads who I'm sure are looking for jobs and pay them $35k/year... still less!

I'm sorry, but I seriously think D. Bo is overstepping his bounds here. He has been a great President for the University, but recently he's been making some poor decisions and it may be time for retirement. Thoughts?

badger
3/5/2011, 11:18 AM
The student newspaper actually had a pretty good "Our View" on it. Read it here. (http://oudaily.com/news/2011/mar/04/askins-hired-do-what/)

According to a press release, Askins will be responsible for acting as an advocate and spokeswoman for various programs at the Oklahoma City campus.

However, when we requested more detail and asked the university for a copy of Askins’ contract or job description, we were told it was unavailable because it has not been created or approved by the OU Board of Regents.

We’re uncertain why President David Boren would announce a person’s appointment to a position that hasn’t been created.

Additionally, how could Askins accept a position without a specific description?

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 11:20 AM
Ease up...the former Gov is just giving the former Gov some luv...

Boren has done a hell of a job...maybe he believes she will be able to add more value than her 120k salary...

I do agree that if there is a hiring freeze....there should be a hiring freeze...

OUthunder
3/5/2011, 12:44 PM
120k is surprisingly low for a friend of David Boren. I was thinking more along the lines of 249k.

swardboy
3/5/2011, 12:54 PM
Oh, I thought you meant the job was mine for the askin....

Carp.

Chuck Bao
3/5/2011, 02:27 PM
I couldn't disagree more. David Boren has done a lot to enhance the value of your university diplomas He is working to raise the education standard at our finest university. If more PR is needed, then I trust him.

soonercruiser
3/5/2011, 02:40 PM
Ease up...the former Gov is just giving the former Gov some luv...

Boren has done a hell of a job...maybe he believes she will be able to add more value than her 120k salary...

I do agree that if there is a hiring freeze....there should be a hiring freeze...

That to me is the important point! HYPOCRISY!
There are major OUHSC budget cuts (we can't hire needed faculty), hiring freezes, and pay freezes for 3 years!
And, what does Boren do???? Create a big job for her!
That one job, divided up, amounts two 2 faculty position unfilled, and many others with pay cuts or no raises again!
Duh!

badger
3/5/2011, 02:43 PM
I really wish Askins would have just volunteered with the university (guest speaking, promoting higher ed funding to former colleagues in elected positions) than take a seemingly high-pay job during the hiring-freeze, pay-freeze situation across OU right now.

I understand the salary - the same as what she has as Lt. Gov - but the timing is bad.

TheBobbyTrain
3/5/2011, 03:16 PM
HSC stands for Health Sciences Center, but I don't think Askins knows much about health in the first place.

SicEmBaylor
3/5/2011, 03:20 PM
HSC stands for Health Sciences Center, but I don't think Askins knows much about health in the first place.

+1

HBick
3/5/2011, 03:50 PM
I got my diploma yesterday, and I can tell you that it is worth much more now that it would have been 15 years ago. I've been interviewing and I can't tell you how many people (actually I can, about 7 out of 10, other three were Whorns) go on and on about what a great school OU is now.

As for the job, everyone can use the positive PR, but I do think her name will help the PR. You could hire three recent PR/AD/MKT graduates and while we have much better ideas, one thing none of my recent fellow grads have is a name as big as her.

Personally I think the PR services should be handled by the student agency in Gaylord, Lindsey+Asp. They are doing great things down here for their clients and the students don't earn money, it just goes back into the program to update equipment. Better way to spend money in my opinion, but figureheads are good too

Serenity Now
3/5/2011, 07:03 PM
So, how does this compare with the insurance commisioner cutting actual auditors (5 of them) to hire 3 former repub state reps to replace them? Those tea partiers accepting gubmit patronage.

Going off of memory if my numbers are off.

I'll give boren the benefit of the doubt.

TheBobbyTrain
3/5/2011, 07:20 PM
Some of us (ok, maybe just me and a few other health professionals) believe that if you are going to represent an institution that educates people about health sciences, then the representatives of said institution should appear to practice good health. Askins obviously does not.

soonercruiser
3/5/2011, 11:36 PM
Wonder if we could have gotten Mayor Mick for less?
(He's more healthy "looking".)
:rolleyes:

Soonerus
3/5/2011, 11:43 PM
This is a bargain for OU...

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 12:02 AM
However, when we requested more detail and asked the university for a copy of Askins’ contract or job description, we were told it was unavailable because it has not been created or approved by the OU Board of Regents.

You have to get their approval so that you can see what's in it.

Where have we heard that before? :D

BTW, I doubt she will do any actual work.

Soonerus
3/6/2011, 12:12 AM
You have to get their approval so that you can see what's in it.

Where have we heard that before? :D

BTW, I doubt she will do any actual work.

What do you think she will do ?? She does not need the money, my guess is she will work very hard.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 12:35 AM
What do you think she will do ??

Nothing. I doubt her parking space will ever see shade.

She doesn't need the money? At what point has that ever been a factor? She isn't picking up the job out of charity.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 12:50 AM
BTW, everyone is harping about the large sum of money, but to me it is too small. If she was being paid $200,000+ then I could think that this was a serious position with loads of responsibilities. But Jeri isn't going to bust her butt for $120,000 for an agency of which she has serious connection. It's largely a ceremonial position and you can consider the $120,000 payment for being a friend of David Boren's. If this had been a true charitable organization, I would possibly feel differently.

These people only fall upwards. If they're ever fired for incompetence, they end up at another agency at a higher salary. If they lose an election, they end up having a friend give them a cushy job for which they do little.

They cannot fail.

She'll do a speaking engagement here and there and send out a few letters. But I doubt she'll do much more than that.

I don't know her but I've seen this often enough to have my doubts. Sure, I could be wrong. But I don't think I am.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. This could be a good deal if the OUHSC can leverage her name to bring in donations. But it's naive to think that she is going to knuckle down and commit her time and energy for this job. She probably has five or six similar rainmaker positions lined up. She'll go to some parties and write a few letters to potential donors. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't sit on the board of at least a dozen charities and non-profits.

Soonerus
3/6/2011, 01:11 AM
You are so out of touch and dumb it is sad...

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 01:19 AM
You are so out of touch and dumb it is sad...

Actually, I'm quite in touch. I have sat on the other side of the fence when these positions were created. We even had to cancel one open position because the dude the VP wanted on his staff died. The others that were vying for the position were given the "lack of funds" excuse, but in real life they had zero chance of landing the job. Some were actually going to fly in and spend three days away from interviewing for the position. I really felt bad for them.

You work out a deal for a position, print up phony job ads, conduct four or five kangaroo interviews, and select the blessed one. And naive people like you really think you have a shot at the job if the interview goes well.

So along comes Jeri, defeated in an election, but now handed a cushy job by the president of the university. And you feel that she is going to dedicate her life to her department.

No, you are out of touch. Oklahoma is an incredibly political state. You don't know how this game works.

Soonerus
3/6/2011, 01:29 AM
You are out of touch....dumb...

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 03:34 AM
You are out of touch....dumb...

Wow. Even KC//Crimson does better than that.

Sometimes.

EDIT: Okay, he probably never does. But still, that was pretty lousy.

HBick
3/6/2011, 04:13 AM
Wow. Even KC//Crimson does better than that.

Sometimes.

EDIT: Okay, he probably never does. But still, that was pretty lousy.

a;alskdjfa;sdgha;dsga;sldhg

that's how i feel about this conversation.

we should get back to lindsey+asp since i'm advertising grad in 2010. i think they should be in charge of OUHSC since it will be a good portion of the spending. let students do it, the faculty there is top notch, and i speak from experience

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 05:23 AM
we should get back to lindsey+asp since i'm advertising grad in 2010.

I see Tonto is still alive and posting on SF.

OhU1
3/6/2011, 11:40 AM
Remember Boren set up Cal Hobson with a job when he term limited out too. Boren has done a fantastic job at OU and I'm thrilled we have him. But if Gene Stipe wasn't 80 years old and under criminal charges he'd have a job at OU too if he wanted one.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 12:02 PM
That to me is the important point! HYPOCRISY!
There are major OUHSC budget cuts (we can't hire needed faculty), hiring freezes, and pay freezes for 3 years!
And, what does Boren do???? Create a big job for her!
That one job, divided up, amounts two 2 faculty position unfilled, and many others with pay cuts or no raises again!
Duh!

What's funny is how you suddenly become a Dirty Liberal when the Boss makes a decision you don't like.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 12:05 PM
Some of us (ok, maybe just me and a few other health professionals) believe that if you are going to represent an institution that educates people about health sciences, then the representatives of said institution should appear to practice good health. Askins obviously does not.

So if she starts working out and wearing head bands and jogging suits....you are OK with it? :D

stoopified
3/6/2011, 12:31 PM
You are out of touch....dumb...Sounds like many of the good ole buy network deals that I have witnessed in my 50 years.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 01:21 PM
Sounds like many of the good ole buy network deals that I have witnessed in my 50 years.

Of course. They have made it worse by requiring schools to advertise and interview for positions. So now instead of losing the job because you never found out about it, you lose the job after spending money and time on a phony interview. This is no different, except that they didn't even bother to look for the best candidate (which probably is a good thing since she was going to get the job anyway).

By the way, if you want a real cushy job requiring no work, check out the job description:

http://newsok.com/jari-askins-appointed-to-position-at-ou-health-sciences-center/article/3545357

Askins is being appointed associate provost for external relations at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

The position was created in response to growth at the Health Sciences Center, an OU spokeswoman said.

During her first year on the job, Askins will work to spread information about services available at the new Peggy and Charles Stephenson Oklahoma Cancer Center, scheduled to open this summer. [Makes a few phone calls, hires a firm to print and mail brochures, puts her name on the web site.]

“To be part of something so critical to the citizens of Oklahoma is a fantastic opportunity,” Askins said. [Yeah, I bet.]

Askins also will lead outreach activities for other programs, including the Harold Hamm Oklahoma Diabetes Center. [Read: Attends parties, performs one or two speaking engagements each year.]

She will serve as a liaison between the Health Sciences Center and the public, said Catherine Bishop, an OU spokeswoman. [I have no idea how that would involve any time at all.]

So that's what you're getting for $120,000 a year. You be the judge.

badger
3/6/2011, 01:41 PM
So that's what you're getting for $120,000 a year. You be the judge.

If it hasn't been said already, it's the same pay she got for being Lt. Gov. That's where they got the number from.

I would say that we should stop term-limiting our reps and senators so that they don't need a cushy place to land afterward... but Askins wasn't term limited. Considering that, I don't think this is a job she will take lightly, because if she was just out to make $120k annually again, she probably would have stayed Lt. Gov. and not tried to run for governor during a political climate where Dems are so despised in this state (and many other places).

The timing is just... bad. Like Askins, voted for her (only Dem I voted for), but timing is bad.

OutlandTrophy
3/6/2011, 02:30 PM
Jeri is Rusty's f**k buddy, don't be dogging her!

Boren loves spending our money like a good politician does!

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 02:41 PM
Whats funny is the outrage over someone getting a job.

If she doesn't do a good job then I'd say you have the right to bitch about her but the Top Dawg at OU just hired her. If you are unhappy....I think he has an open door policy. Go tell him what you think....write a letter....whatever.

She conceded her loss after running for office....get off her spine with your golf cleats.

SteelClip49
3/6/2011, 02:48 PM
I am a former employee of the OUHSC who got let go due to new management. I have been unemployed since November 19, 2010. I have a broadcasting/communications degree from UCO (the best in the state to get a communications degree) and I know how to advertise and market something really well, no matter what it is. Hell, I would gladly work for $35K a year doing a lot of what this new job position is.

DBo....Askins has plenty of money. There are perfectly qualified people (me) who will do it for a lot less and still be pumped because the lot less portion is still damn good.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 02:54 PM
I get that folks are hurting out there. Has anyone said that Boren was done hiring?

I'd send Jari your resume and ask if there were any more opportunities and congratulate her. Who knows....maybe this is part of putting a big campaign together down the line.

Always search out "New Cheese" Old Cheese isn't edible.

http://www.booksellersnow.com/images/whomovedmycheese.gif

Just saying....

OutlandTrophy
3/6/2011, 03:21 PM
looks like Boren might be StoopTroup's f**k buddy!!!

we didn't know that David and Jari were ST's and Rusty's girls, sorry about that!

:D

soonercruiser
3/6/2011, 03:42 PM
What's funny is how you suddenly become a Dirty Liberal when the Boss makes a decision you don't like.

"FACTS" become!

Agree with OhU1.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 03:43 PM
Whats funny is the outrage over someone getting a job.

If she doesn't do a good job then I'd say you have the right to bitch about her...

You're never even going to hear about her. This is a job where she can't really do a bad job because there's nothing really there for her to do. She is going to spread information about the center, lead outreach activities, and act as some sort of liaison between the community and the center. She could not show up for a single day and still garner a mediocre job evaluation, and that isn't much of an exaggeration.

That's just the way it is in a political state. She's got friends in high places and she's reaping the rewards. Get used to it.

I'd send Jari your resume and ask if there were any more opportunities and congratulate her. Who knows....maybe this is part of putting a big campaign together down the line.

Unless you're tied politically to her or Boren, you don't stand a chance. You'd have to wait for a formal job announcement. Otherwise, all you will do is waste hours drafting a letter.

I am a former employee of the OUHSC who got let go due to new management. I have been unemployed since November 19, 2010. I have a broadcasting/communications degree from UCO (the best in the state to get a communications degree) and I know how to advertise and market something really well, no matter what it is. Hell, I would gladly work for $35K a year doing a lot of what this new job position is.

You are under the mistaken impression that she is filling a need. They could have hired a professional PR firm if that was really what they wanted.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 04:05 PM
"FACTS" become!

Agree with OhU1.

incomprehendable

The political position taking and/or rationalization of cause and effect through the analysis of the ever growing constant stream of irrational hypotheses and agenda-specific misinformation (dogma) filtered through mass media sound bytes and historically non-contextualized reports as distributed through social network web sites and weblogs for mass digestion and wide interpretation.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 04:14 PM
incomprehendable

The political position taking and/or rationalization of cause and effect through the analysis of the ever growing constant stream of irrational hypotheses and agenda-specific misinformation (dogma) filtered through mass media sound bytes and historically non-contextualized reports as distributed through social network web sites and weblogs for mass digestion and wide interpretation.

Sorry, StoopTroup, but when it comes to academic-speak you're an amateur. ;)

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 04:29 PM
Also.....Jeri is single so any benefits that get paid out are solely for her. Now go hire 3 people for $40,000 a year + Benefits for an entire Family.....at the end Boren might have saved money. Of course I'm using Wisconsin logic.

Soonerus
3/6/2011, 04:55 PM
Her name is Jari folks...

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 05:12 PM
I would have gotten it if she had been Governor. :D

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 05:37 PM
Also.....Jeri is single so any benefits that get paid out are solely for her. Now go hire 3 people for $40,000 a year + Benefits for an entire Family.....at the end Boren might have saved money. Of course I'm using Wisconsin logic.

You hire a PR firm for this kind of work. That way you don't pay the benefits and you don't tie your salary expenses down for an eternity. And the PR firm's specialty is doing this kind of work.

Hiring personnel = bad
Outsourcing work = good

Look at her job responsibilities. Those don't describe activities worth $120,000 a year. (If it had said her primary responsibility was fundraising, that would be far better. PR? Give me a break.)

SanJoaquinSooner
3/6/2011, 05:49 PM
Askins is being appointed associate provost for external relations at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

Leroy's correct that it might be a good deal if she pulls in donations like politicians are trained to do.

But the larger problem is what has happened at many universities. There used to be a Provost who was the chief academic officer in charge of all other VPs and all Deans. Provost, VPs, and Deans.

Somehow new positions with the title of assistant/associate provost for [fill in the blank] poliferated beyond all reason. If they can write grants or do fundraising they may pay their own way. And if some tenured professor doesn't pan out, you can always make him an assoc provost in charge of some nonsense.

But the downside is they've created a new, thick layer of unnecessary bureaucracy.

If anyone posting here is an associate provost, of course you are an essential exception.:)

OutlandTrophy
3/6/2011, 07:05 PM
Easy now, David Boren's girlfriend posts here. She will get mad at you guys.

Go easy on them StoopTroup...

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:32 PM
STFU DIP****

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 07:39 PM
STFU DIP****

Outland, can you give me some tips on pissing off StoopTroup? I've tried many times and he seems to handle my jabs with aplomb. What's the secret?

OutlandTrophy
3/6/2011, 07:41 PM
:smooch:

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 07:45 PM
:Fart:

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 07:46 PM
Leroy's correct that it might be a good deal if she pulls in donations like politicians are trained to do.

The problem is I'm not sure she's a particularly effective fundraiser. Sure, she raised as much as Fallin, but that was primarily because she was her own biggest contributor. That won't work here.

OutlandTrophy
3/6/2011, 07:51 PM
Outland, can you give me some tips on pissing off StoopTroup? I've tried many times and he seems to handle my jabs with aplomb. What's the secret?

you keep pointing out how ignorant he is on numerous topics, that's old hat and doesn't bother him anymore being as everyone knows that he's ignorant on most things that he opines about.

not everyone knew about his tryst with dirty Dave.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 08:13 PM
I've met David Boren quite a few times now. He's an approachable very nice man. I also know one of the OHP Officers who used to fly him around when he was Governor. David doesn't like to fly much from what I was told. I never asked him about it. I don't agree with everything he did or ever said but I do understand that he's the Boss at OU. Like it or not...he's the man and will be likely until he retires.

You two dip****s are delusional. Leroid is on my ignore list as I haven't seen him post much that made me laugh except when he's so far out there that you can't believe anyone is that ****ed up. Outland.....I had no problem with until today. Sounds like he about to come on to you Leroid. I hope you get lucky. Post pics you two.

OutlandTrophy
3/6/2011, 08:16 PM
settle down, sugar tits.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 08:24 PM
eat cork cork soaker

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 09:08 PM
you keep pointing out how ignorant he is on numerous topics, that's old hat and doesn't bother him anymore being as everyone knows that he's ignorant on most things that he opines about.

Tell me more!

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 09:10 PM
You two dip****s are delusional. Leroid is on my ignore list as I haven't seen him post much that made me laugh except when he's so far out there that you can't believe anyone is that ****ed up. Outland.....I had no problem with until today. Sounds like he about to come on to you Leroid. I hope you get lucky. Post pics you two.

Now that is more like it. Good work, Outland.

jkjsooner
3/6/2011, 09:34 PM
My wife is Director of Media Relations at a university hospital. That salary isn't outrageous for the position. In fact is seems embarassingly low. My wife's boss is the PR head and probably makes $200k a year. You want someone with a lot of PR and media experience in that job - not a recent PR grad.

soonercruiser
3/6/2011, 09:35 PM
incomprehendable

Psychobabble!
Why do you "hate" so much?

WichitaSooner
3/7/2011, 10:45 AM
We pay our football coach $5 MILLION a year... I find it hard to complain about $120,000 in the grand scheme... I mean our VP level execs at OU make twice that... it's nothing.

OutlandTrophy
3/7/2011, 10:54 AM
jeebus, do we need to explain where athletic department salaries come from and where Jeri's salary will come from even though she was hired during a hiring freeze?

Viking Kitten
3/7/2011, 11:02 AM
So should they not hire anyone to work at the new Cancer Center either since there is a hiring freeze? Hey, we just spent millions of dollars on a new facility but darn it all, can't hire any doctors or nurses because we're in a hiring freeze. Sorry!

As was pointed out above, Akins' salary is completely in line with what a PR head would make at any large hospital, who almost always have in-house communications departments.

OutlandTrophy
3/7/2011, 11:04 AM
So should they not hire anyone to work at the new Cancer Center either since there is a hiring freeze? Hey, we just spent millions of dollars on a new facility but darn it all, can't hire any doctors or nurses because we're in a hiring freeze. Sorry!

As was pointed out above, Akins' salary is completely in line with what a PR head would make at any large hospital, who almost always have in-house communications departments.

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

OUMallen
3/7/2011, 11:05 AM
Having a power player on your team usually is a good thing.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 11:53 AM
Having a power player on your team usually is a good thing.

Sure, if she'll go out and scrape up big money. But the job description has all the markings of a ceremonial position given out to a political crony. As I said before, it isn't that the money is too much, but rather not enough.

Soonerwake
3/7/2011, 04:09 PM
Why is everyone getting their panties in a wad over this? Making positions for specific ex-political types happens all the time - public and private sector alike. Ex-CEO's, ex-athletes, etc. also get that type of treatment if their name and reputation can be utilized for the benefit of the hiring entity.

And, I would think we all know that a "hiring freeze" only applies to certain positions and certain situations.

Next topic.....

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 04:11 PM
Ex-CEO's, ex-athletes, etc. also get that type of treatment if their name and reputation can be utilized for the benefit of an old friend.

FIFY

Soonerwake
3/7/2011, 04:20 PM
FIFY

**crying** But it's not fair!! **crying** :rolleyes: