PDA

View Full Version : Ronnell Lewis

Rocko
3/4/2011, 09:49 PM
Seeing that he's going to move to DE next year, how will he be used? He's not quite big enough to be a pure DE it would seem but he has the physical skills to play a Joker hybrid position that Von Miller dominated in.

If this is the case (which he did later in the season) I'm pretty excited to see what he does next year. Could cause a lot of havoc for opposing offenses.

But anyways, what are some of the thoughts from more technically minded Sooner fans?

Dwight
3/4/2011, 09:52 PM
…is a boss.

jersey sooner
3/4/2011, 09:59 PM
Of all the prospects for the 2011 season, none get me more excited than #56.

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 10:09 PM
I hope he does well. If he can bulk up a little, he can be a very disruptive speedy end type. We need that boy to step up this year and hopefully RJ comes around. I'm looking forward to Grissom the most though.

bixby28
3/4/2011, 10:16 PM
Seeing that he's going to move to DE next year, how will he be used? He's not quite big enough to be a pure DE it would seem but he has the physical skills to play a Joker hybrid position that Von Miller dominated in.

If this is the case (which he did later in the season) I'm pretty excited to see what he does next year. Could cause a lot of havoc for opposing offenses.

But anyways, what are some of the thoughts from more technically minded Sooner fans?

I understand what you're saying about Lewis' size issue, buuuuuuuuut, Jonathan Jackson wasn't what people would consider 'ideal size' for a DE, either. Lewis seems like a guy who will do well anywhere in the front 7 (except DT). Beal played with his hand on the line most downs, but also lined up standing on occassions. That's the type of role Lewis could continue to play at DE, but that's Venables' call.

yermom
3/4/2011, 10:57 PM
when they send him after the backfield, he's a killer. i guess they don't like him in coverage as much

i think he'll get better the more he plays. i look forward to more people getting Hammered :D

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 10:58 PM
Lewis will be just fine, be it as a LB or DE.

I hope we go to more of the 5 front (3-4 look) like we did late last season.

jersey sooner
3/4/2011, 11:02 PM
He was superb in the "stand over the center, spy the qb for 2 counts after the snap, pretend the qb got your baby sister pregnant and never called her again" play.

OK2U
3/5/2011, 12:55 AM
I'm getting hammered in his honor!

AlbqSooner
3/5/2011, 08:27 AM
When you think of Lewis as a DE, think along the lines of Jimbo Elrod.
Ahhhh crap, most of you are too young to remember Elrod.

texas bandman
3/5/2011, 09:39 AM

Jimbo Elrod was one of my favorites from the 70's. He was a force to be reckoned with. I can only hope that Ronnell will be that good.

SoonerLB
3/5/2011, 11:02 AM

I remember, and this is a very happy thought! :)
And the thought of our opposition getting "hammered" makes me giddy! ;)

JLEW1818
3/5/2011, 11:08 AM
when did the change in position get announced?

MyT Oklahoma
3/5/2011, 06:10 PM
Jimbo Elrod was one of my favorites from the 70's. He was a force to be reckoned with. I can only hope that Ronnell will be that good.

Those were the days my friend.. those were the days. :cool:

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 06:44 PM
He's been playing DE for awhile. That front we used at the end of the season was gold.

JLEW1818
3/5/2011, 10:40 PM
He's been playing DE for awhile. That front we used at the end of the season was gold.

how long has a "while" been ?

i saw him get hurt a LB against Iowa State.... when did he switch to DE??

i must be missing something..

damn u work

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 10:46 PM
He's been a stand-up DE/LB hybrid. I'm not sure he has one definite natural position.

JLEW1818
3/5/2011, 10:48 PM
i saw him play LB last year?

he's not big enough to play DE... sorry

kinda like me trying to tell people 2 years ago that DM should take direct snaps from center.

just not smart

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 10:51 PM
He played very little if any in the standard linebacker position. He's usually standing up at the line of scrimmage outside the guards, in a very ominous stalker-like position.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 10:54 PM
i saw him play LB last year?

he's not big enough to play DE... sorry

kinda like me trying to tell people 2 years ago that DM should take direct snaps from center.

just not smart

Yeah I am almost 100% sure he played the hybrid on the line. The coaches didn't like his coverage skills and he was doing lots of good stuff on the line. He was there a fair majority of the time and I thought it was even discussed preseason last year.

JLEW1818
3/5/2011, 10:56 PM
i guess i was too hammered during the games :D

i just don't remeber him taking a 3 point stance last year.

i'm gonna youtube now... :D

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:00 PM
hence the phrase "stand-up" DE

OK2U
3/5/2011, 11:01 PM
^^^
If memory serves correct, he played as a stand-up D-end most of the time on the edge. He rarely put a hand on the ground.

JLEW1818
3/5/2011, 11:04 PM
show me some of this "stand up DE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjkXDtereI4&feature=related

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:07 PM
^^ Correct. I remember he was in a 3 pt stance in the first half of the Utah St game, but honestly don't remember ever seeing him like that again. He's not really a pure natural DE or LB, so they utilize him as a hybrid in the sense of sending him off the edge on the snap (DE) or spying the qb, blitzing inside, or rarely dropping off into coverage (LB)

OK2U
3/5/2011, 11:09 PM
I said "if memory served correct.
Plus, his position, technique and style of play evolved throughout the year as he became more comfortable with the position and as the coaches began to plug him in on more downs.
I suppose I could be wrong.
There's a first time for everything....

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:11 PM
2:53 is the first time I see him. He's in a standing blitzing position right on the hip of Frank Alexander. They actually had him drop into a basic linebacker coverage on this play, but as the year wore on he did less and less of that.

Edit: Its Jeremy Beal that he's right next to

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:11 PM
OK2U I didn't even know we were arguing about something? I thought I was agreeing with you lol

Rocko
3/5/2011, 11:14 PM
2:53 is the first time I see him. He's in a standing blitzing position right on the hip of Frank Alexander. They actually had him drop into a basic linebacker coverage on this play, but as the year wore on he did less and less of that.

The drop back coverage worked pretty well though. I remember a few batted passes from him, and the more memorable pick 6 at Baylor.

Oh and if you watch the highlight vids on Holakyles thread, watch for the defensive plays, the Hammer lines up in 3 pt stance quite often actually.

JLEW1818
3/5/2011, 11:15 PM
i still consider him a linebacker... ?

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 11:19 PM

A linebacker tends to drop into coverage too. They also have assignments and gaps to fill. I think Ronnell is playing the "I'm gonna rip you a new one blitz position"

OK2U
3/5/2011, 11:20 PM
OK2U I didn't even know we were arguing about something? I thought I was agreeing with you lol

Sorry man, my bad.
I've had a few drinks.

Rocko
3/5/2011, 11:20 PM

That'd be ok to assume, he's a hybrid but his speed in the open field is phenomenal. Every kick off return he's the first guy to the ball (honing hammer missile).

In the BXII Champ he ran down T-Mart on a third down play after taking a horrible angle on him. That's one thing he might need to work on, angles.

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:22 PM
watch him @ 0:47 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS5****-qCg
Thats how I think we will use him

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:24 PM
umm nevermind, guess I can't post links? Youtube "Ronnell Lewis Highlights" by "tarheelblue00" and watch the play @ 0:47. It's scary.

Rocko
3/5/2011, 11:27 PM
umm nevermind, guess I can't post links? Youtube "Ronnell Lewis Highlights" by "tarheelblue00" and watch the play @ 0:47. It's scary.

yeah he really has amazing acceleration to the ball. His blitzing ability will hopefully make up for the sometimes absent pressure our team applied.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/5/2011, 11:27 PM
The bottom line is I would expect the coaches are going to find as many ways possible to turn him loose against the QB, whether it be as a stand up DE or as as an OLB. Not sure the opposing QB is going to make the distinction as he is getting planted.

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:28 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

JLEW1818
3/5/2011, 11:52 PM
Why take away from our already undersized Linebackers??

And you wonder why the SEC has been this damn consistent...... LB's are big, fast, and strong

jersey sooner
3/5/2011, 11:59 PM
He's not all that big, and he's better when he plays fast, despite the fact he hits like a freight train. Last year we played 90% of the time with just 2 true linebackers, so it's not really taking away anything as we have Box at the Mike and an all-american at the Sam.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/6/2011, 12:03 AM
Why take away from our already undersized Linebackers??

And you wonder why the SEC has been this damn consistent...... LB's are big, fast, and strong

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:D :D :D :D :D

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 12:09 AM
^^ Does this mean he's been messing w/ me the entire time?

picasso
3/7/2011, 05:21 PM
The SEC is loaded with quality DT's. That's the biggest difference.

JLEW1818
3/7/2011, 05:33 PM
well, just off the top of my head... last years draft.. 2 big12 DT's picks 2 and 3 overall

picasso
3/7/2011, 05:35 PM
well, just off the top of my head... last years draft.. 2 big12 DT's picks 2 and 3 overall

I'm quoting Pat Jones and Dave Rader. They've both commented on the fact that normally only OU and Texas have quaity DT depth but little else from the Big 12.

The SEC is loaded top to bottom. Just sayin'.

NormanPride
3/7/2011, 06:00 PM
SEC LBs are big, strong, and fast, but they can't cover a slot receiver to save their lives. That's why we run with smaller LBs. Why run a D that can stop the power run with LBs that can take on a Guard or TE no problem when you see that kind of offense maybe once a year?

Rocko
3/7/2011, 06:43 PM
Speaking of small OLB will Corey Nelson get more playing time next year?

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/7/2011, 08:07 PM
Speaking of small OLB will Corey Nelson get more playing time next year?

Yes, he played a little last season. The dude is really quick! I'm excited to see more of him

Rocko
3/7/2011, 10:49 PM
Yes, he played a little last season. The dude is really quick! I'm excited to see more of him

Coupled with Ronnell's diversity (pass rush, or spy the QB in drop backs), and a set of quick OLB's in T. Lewis and Nelson, the group should be able to throw some complex blitzing schemes at defenses.

Look for teams like Mizzou, and maybe even FSU (although EJ Manuel has started) to struggle at times when they see 2 LB's coming at them and a quick d-lineman (Ronnell) in coverage.

Confuddled they will be!

gaylordfan1
3/8/2011, 09:48 PM
It took R. Lewis the majority of the season to settle into the position.... he eventually "got it". Im looking forward to seeing what he can do next season. Has anyone heard how his injury is progressing?