PDA

View Full Version : Shore and pitching rotation

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 05:16 PM
Do you think after today's performance so far that Shore moves down a slot to the Sunday slot and maybe Smith moves up during league play. I know Burch hasn't proven himself much, but Shore really seems like the liability of the staff so far.

bufsa
3/4/2011, 05:33 PM
What I have seen today is infield hits and even some where he fooled the batter and they metal batted it for singles. Nobody has hit it hard yet. As he was the leading pitcher on the team last year I think your jumping the gun three weeks into the season

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 05:36 PM
What I have seen today is infield hits and even some where he fooled the batter and they metal batted it for singles. Nobody has hit it hard yet. As he was the leading pitcher on the team last year I think your jumbing the gun three weeks into the season

Well, I am taking last year into account as well. Can we count on this kid as our #2? I'm really not trying to jump the gun, but I wonder if Sunny would like some more consistency.

He definitely has the stuff. I'm just a little perplexed sometimes why he gets hit up a lot. I don't want to be that poster to call players out already, but I feel like he needs to step up.

bufsa
3/4/2011, 05:43 PM
He was our number one pitcher last year, to me that is stepping it up. Rocha is Friday now because he has seemed to really improve not that anybody else is doing worse. USD didn't do bad against Cal yesterday so lets give him to the end of the game at least to judge. But having said that I don't see a lot of differnce between our top three so Sat or Sun is not a big deal. I don't think we should change the weekend three though.

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 05:52 PM
I agree give him time, but would it be wise to move him down?

Muno
3/4/2011, 06:23 PM
The guy just threw 8 innings of shut out baseball giving up 6 hits. What am I missing on today's performance? I missed the early innings.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 06:30 PM
Well, about the only thing you are missing is OU pitching another shut out in the tourney....havent given up a run yet!

BTW....I think it is retarded that KREF (online) has ads running during the broad cast of a game!

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 06:31 PM
BTW Shore has given up 6 hits, but has only pitched 88 pitches as of this post!

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 06:32 PM
BTW Shore has given up 6 hits, but has only pitched 88 pitches as of this post!

Granted I jumped the gun in the 3rd or 4th inning when he got jumped on. I am just listening to the game so it is hard to really judge how he is pitching. I just remember last game he got jumped on too. He settled down towards the end of the game which is a plus.

Does the 7 hits worry you though? You won't find many teams with 7 hits and 1 run.

Sooner11JK
3/4/2011, 06:38 PM
Granted I jumped the gun in the 3rd or 4th inning when he got jumped on. I am just listening to the game so it is hard to really judge how he is pitching. I just remember last game he got jumped on too. He settled down towards the end of the game which is a plus.

I'm going to go ahead and nominate this for understatement of the year on the baseball board. I will also nominate the original post on this thread as the jumpthegun post of the year. Wow. Are you kidding me? The guy was LIGHTS OUT today and you want to move him down the rotation based on three straight hits to start an inning that he pitched himself out of masterfully? Unbelievable.

And no, 7 hits doesn't worry me. You won't find many pitchers who can give up 7 hits and only give up 1 run........

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 06:46 PM

Does the 7 hits worry you though? You won't find many teams with 7 hits and 1 run.

Maybe not...but you don't find many pitchers able to make batters push in college either. His pitching has been pretty good. Our defense plays very well behind all our pitchers...so it doesn't really surprise me at all that he surrendered 7 hits and just one run.

Sooner11JK
3/4/2011, 06:47 PM
Bobby Shore was just named player of the game. Sooner74, would you like for Chuck to grill him about his performance today? Really rake him over the coals? I can text Chuck and submit a question or two for him if you'd like.

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 06:47 PM
I'm going to go ahead and nominate this for understatement of the year on the baseball board. I will also nominate the original post on this thread as the jumpthegun post of the year. Wow. Are you kidding me? The guy was LIGHTS OUT today and you want to move him down the rotation based on three straight hits to start an inning that he pitched himself out of masterfully? Unbelievable.

And no, 7 hits doesn't worry me. You won't find many pitchers who can give up 7 hits and only give up 1 run........

Sorry, I just want the baseball board to be more lively and talk about stuff. I figure when we play better teams they will get the runs across. That's why I am worried. We played San Diego.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 06:49 PM
Sorry, I just want the baseball board to be more lively and talk about stuff. I figure when we play better teams they will get the runs across. That's why I am worried. We played San Diego.

Doesn't matter to be honest with you...if the ball is hit, it is up to our fielders to play good defense and stop extra bases and force outs.

The pitcher cannot be the only one responsible if we give up a ton of runs (which we haven't really done in quite awhile).

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 06:53 PM
Doesn't matter to be honest with you...if the ball is hit, it is up to our fielders to play good defense and stop extra bases and force outs.

The pitcher cannot be the only one responsible if we give up a ton of runs (which we haven't really done in quite awhile).

Agreed we are playing good ball. I was just bringing one little thing up. Sorry to ruffle feathers. I love baseball and would like to see Shore be consistent. He even admitted in postgame that his first two games were rough and from the beginning of this game It seemed he was having a rough go. He really "Shored" it up towards the end.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 06:58 PM
Agreed we are playing good ball. I was just bringing one little thing up. Sorry to ruffle feathers. I love baseball and would like to see Shore be consistent. He even admitted in postgame that his first two games were rough and from the beginning of this game It seemed he was having a rough go. He really "Shored" it up towards the end.

You didn't ruffle my feathers. You started a good conversation piece based on your concerns and opinions, no need to apologize to anyone.

bufsa
3/4/2011, 07:03 PM
Hey at least sooner74 is trying to get people talking about baseball on this thread. No reason to jump on him, it has been pretty boring. Also in his defense some of those squigly lines on gametracker did look pretty hard.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 07:11 PM
Hey at least sooner74 is trying to get people talking about baseball on this thread. No reason to jump on him, it has been pretty boring. Also in his defense some of those squigly lines on gametracker did look pretty hard.

Damn squiggly lines!

C&CDean
3/4/2011, 08:19 PM
Let me get this straight. Saying something negative about a kid who just pitched a helluva game is "getting people to talk baseball" on this board? I'd almost rather we didn't. We have so many fans in all the sports who are just so afraid to let it go and enjoy this potentially GREAT season. ****ing relax. We're good. Really good. Why do you have to find fault/problems/issues? Enjoy it. It doesn't happen very often.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 08:21 PM
Let me get this straight. Saying something negative about a kid who just pitched a helluva game is "getting people to talk baseball" on this board? I'd almost rather we didn't. We have so many fans in all the sports who are just so afraid to let it go and enjoy this potentially GREAT season. ****ing relax. We're good. Really good. Why do you have to find fault/problems/issues? Enjoy it. It doesn't happen very often.

:gary:

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 08:29 PM
Dean,

I understand we are good, but maybe I'm dissappointed knowing that we have very good teams coming up and it wont be 7 hits, it will be 14. And it won't be 1 run, it will be 8 or 9.

I just wanted to see your thoughts. I am very relaxed. I am a Sooner supporter first and foremost. I just think he may need to be moved or shaken up a little. Great stuff no doubt.

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 08:30 PM

And I'm not finding fault. I said I prematurely jumped the gun in that inning, but even Shore has admitted his first two starts were shaky. It's not like i'm going after the kid. I like his stuff, it is nasty. He just needs to get consistent. Shore finished a great game from when this was initially started. We have some very good pitchers this year and I am very excited.

soonertravis
3/4/2011, 09:48 PM
I understand the concerns over Shore. I think he is fine though. He had not pitched that well his first two games against lesser competition. He does not typically overpower hitters. He will give up hits, but he also gets lots of outs.

If he ends up on Sunday, it is because Burch Smith is dynamite. Smith seems to have electric stuff. Our staff seems very deep in the early going.

bcolston15
3/4/2011, 10:52 PM
When I read this I was really confused at first, then I realized it was posted during Shore's COMPLETE GAME, 7-1 victory. Then I just laughed.

StatGeek
3/4/2011, 11:22 PM
When I read this I was really confused at first, then I realized it was posted during Shore's COMPLETE GAME, 7-1 victory. Then I just laughed.

So let me get this straight last year Bobby was the MVP of the Norman Regional after tossing 7 1/3 innings of four-hit ball in the championship game. He tossed eight scoreless innings in the championship game of the Super Regional and had a team-leading 10 wins in 16 starts which was tied for third most in the Big 12; and in less than 3 starts this season he should be moved down in the rotation?

Patience is a virtue.

bufsa
3/5/2011, 05:29 AM
I am very disapointed in this board. A guy who brings up something he is concerned about. He posted it right after Shore gave up three staight hits. Instead of countering it by saying "no if you look at his WHIP or some other baseball reason (good reply soonertravis) why the guy is incorrect or say "no they were infield hits nothing to worry about" you insult him. Yes he was just trying to get people to talk baseball by bringing up his concern. Then after he says he jumped the gun people continue to post dragging the guy down. Argue with the guy but give baseball reasons. Is this a baseball site or a cheerleading site? If this is one of thoose sites where you where you got to be rah rah OU or they jump on you I'm out. ---He didn't even really say anything bad about shore just switch him and Smith. Most of you not long ago were saying for this team to win smith had to be the Friday guy.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 12:37 PM
I am very disapointed in this board. A guy who brings up something he is concerned about. He posted it right after Shore gave up three staight hits. Instead of countering it by saying "no if you look at his WHIP or some other baseball reason (good reply soonertravis) why the guy is incorrect or say "no they were infield hits nothing to worry about" you insult him. Yes he was just trying to get people to talk baseball by bringing up his concern. Then after he says he jumped the gun people continue to post dragging the guy down. Argue with the guy but give baseball reasons. Is this a baseball site or a cheerleading site? If this is one of thoose sites where you where you got to be rah rah OU or they jump on you I'm out. ---He didn't even really say anything bad about shore just switch him and Smith. Most of you not long ago were saying for this team to win smith had to be the Friday guy.

Thanks Bufsa,

Honestly, it just goes down to how much they really want to discuss baseball or not. They can jump on me all they want because fact of the matter is I am still going to have my opinion and I enjoy hearing what other logical baseball loving OU fans have to say. I enjoy discussing OU baseball and seeing whether or not other people share the same opinions as me.

We all know that in the end run everyone can say what they want because Sunny determines the lineup and pitching rotation. Does it really matter what I say or think? I don't expect people to agree with me, and that is the greatness of a board like this.

I am just disappointed that we can't even have one actual baseball chat without crap hitting the fan. I would love to post more each day on this site except for stuff like this. Why would I want to give an opinion instead of starting yet another fluff piece? A fluff piece would get half of the homers out of the woodwork, but baseball is in the stats. The more you know about why stuff happens, the small rules, and the intricacies of the game, the more enjoyable I find it.

I don't expect perfection out of Shore, and never said so. I also know Oakland, San Diego, and William & Mary should be ideal teams for him to come out and dominate. He did very good yesterday after I believe inning 4. My expectations are high because we are ranked #2. I am proud of this team and I hope y'all take my opinion not as criticism, but general concern or thoughts.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 06:16 PM

Who insulted him?

I disagreed with him, yet did so in good taste....so who insulted him? Hell, I even turned him green when he was deep in the red.

bcolston15
3/5/2011, 07:11 PM

So the next time someone gives up three straight hits we should consider moving him down in the rotation?

C'mon. No one here squashes legitimate Sooner Baseball discussion. When someone suggests we should move a pitcher down in the rotation while he's in the process of throwing a complete game, one run effort, what do you expect the response to be?

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 07:36 PM
So the next time someone gives up three straight hits we should consider moving him down in the rotation?

C'mon. No one here squashes legitimate Sooner Baseball discussion. When someone suggests we should move a pitcher down in the rotation while he's in the process of throwing a complete game, one run effort, what do you expect the response to be?

Well, his first start was similar. I can actually see his concerns...but we seem to play great defense behind Shore...Some pitchers are hitting pitchers...yet they just know where to put the ball to make those hits pretty much ineffective with a good defense.

bcolston15
3/5/2011, 07:59 PM
Pitchers give up hits, sometimes more than one or two in an inning. It doesn't mean they need to be moved down in the rotation.

Baseball is a game that requires patience and perspective, whether you're playing, coaching or watching.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 08:06 PM
Pitchers give up hits, sometimes more than one or two in an inning. It doesn't mean they need to be moved down in the rotation.

Baseball is a game that requires patience and perspective, whether you're playing, coaching or watching.

Agree. I just was concerned from what I saw from Shore. The batters seem to be seeing the ball against him. I save judgment for next week because we are undefeated.

bcolston15
3/5/2011, 08:13 PM
Agree. I just was concerned from what I saw from Shore. The batters seem to be seeing the ball against him. I save judgment for next week because we are undefeated.

I wasn't calling you out, if it came across that way I apologize. I'm the guy who thought Rocha would struggle this year, so take my opinion for what it's worth--not much.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 09:51 PM
I wasn't calling you out, if it came across that way I apologize. I'm the guy who thought Rocha would struggle this year, so take my opinion for what it's worth--not much.

Hey, I thought he would too. Rocha seems to have matured and taken the emotional leap you need to take to be a dominant pitcher. I think Omaha did that for him. Did I ever think he would be the #1? No. We have some great pitchers though and he is the most consistent right now.

This is a great conversation to have when people argue about the undefeated pitchers and whether they are even pitching to their capabilities. Speaks to how nasty our team is.

bufsa
3/5/2011, 10:48 PM
The reason that we seem to play great defense for Shore is that when he is on he pitches to contact. With his slider he throws a lot of ground balls. The infielders get a lot of chances. That is why he pitched a complete game around a 100 pitches. It is also why you see a lot more infield hits against him than the other pitchers.