PDA

View Full Version : FYI...The Texas Tech pet hospital

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 02:58 PM
has a compassionate care policy thats allows you stay with your sick puppy on a cot right next to them if they have to stay overnight. The doctors here are a lot more thorough too. OSU doesn't let you do that, however they will let you sleep in a sleeping bag in the hall. My little doggy has an IV but they let me take him out and hold him.

I thought all you pet lovers might want to know that. :)

IB4OU2
3/4/2011, 03:04 PM
What? OSU doesnt let people sleep with animals?

I hope your little fella gets well quick Mama!

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 03:06 PM
Oh dear.

Boomer.....
3/4/2011, 03:09 PM
Hope he gets better Mama. :(

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 03:10 PM
What? OSU doesnt let people sleep with animals?

I hope your little fella gets well quick Mama!Nope. :D
Thanks. Hes only 4 and weighs just 9 pounds. He may need surgery but hes getting IVs now to try and help him with a protruded disk. Its really swollen and hot to the touch in that area, which is his neck. The surgery would be risky, however acupuncture may be a safer option if they can get him stable enough for another trip. Right now he wont even walk. :(

We wont know until Monday.

SoCaliSooner
3/4/2011, 03:33 PM
Nope. :D
Thanks. Hes only 4 and weighs just 9 pounds. He may need surgery but hes getting IVs now to try and help him with a protruded disk. Its really swollen and hot to the touch in that area, which is his neck. The surgery would be risky, however acupuncture may be a safer option if they can get him stable enough for another trip. Right now he wont even walk. :(

Ever seen Old Yeller?

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 03:50 PM
Nope. :D

accupuncture works pretty well. I used it when a dislocated shoulder was reset and it was every bit as good as drugs to kill pain.

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 03:55 PM
accupuncture works pretty well. I used it when a dislocated shoulder was reset and it was every bit as good as drugs to kill pain.I could probably use that for myself. After sleeping on a cot, my hip and back is killing me. :P

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 03:56 PM
has a compassionate care policy thats allows you stay with your sick puppy on a cot right next to them if they have to stay overnight. The doctors here are a lot more thorough too. OSU doesn't let you do that, however they will let you sleep in a sleeping bag in the hall. My little doggy has an IV but they let me take him out and hold him.

I thought all you pet lovers might want to know that. :)

I love my dog.

But not that much.

tcrb
3/4/2011, 04:05 PM
Hope he gets better Mama.

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 04:16 PM
I love my dog.

But not that much.but my dog is highly intelligent and super cute. He water boards, plays frisbee and does peek a boo. :D

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 04:32 PM
This is him when he was playing peekaboo. :)

How can you not love that sweet face? ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/peekaboo1.jpg

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 04:39 PM
accupuncture works pretty well. I used it when a dislocated shoulder was reset and it was every bit as good as drugs to kill pain.

kanto...do you think acupuncture helps with disk swelling? I don't really know how it works. It helped my last dog with arthritis issues when he was 15 years old. It was night and day. I ask because I haven't been able to speak with the veterinarian acupuncturist in length yet.

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 04:48 PM
but my dog is highly intelligent and super cute. He water boards, plays frisbee and does peek a boo. :D

Seriously!?! Who does he waterboard? And why? Don't they just answer his questions voluntarily?

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 04:50 PM
More seriously: as I understand it, accupuncture works by shutting off, temporarily, the nerves. While this can relieve pain, I'd think it was less effective in relieving swelling.

cccasooner2
3/4/2011, 04:52 PM
but my dog is highly intelligent and super cute. He water boards, plays frisbee and does peek a boo. :D

Terrorists I hope.

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 04:57 PM
More seriously: as I understand it, accupuncture works by shutting off, temporarily, the nerves. While this can relieve pain, I'd think it was less effective in relieving swelling.The disk protruded to a dangerous level. We have to do something that will prevent that from happening as it can cause him to be paralyzed. The surgery is so risky though, and I don't want to lose him.

DIB
3/4/2011, 05:09 PM
Doggy acupuncture can't possibly be a real thing. It sounds like a made up TV show that South Park would invent to make fun of Animal Planet.

OULenexaman
3/4/2011, 05:14 PM
The disk protruded to a dangerous level. We have to do something that will prevent that from happening as it can cause him to be paralyzed. The surgery is so risky though, and I don't want to lose him. think of your little friends pain....

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 05:30 PM
Seriously!?! Who does he waterboard? And why? Don't they just answer his questions voluntarily?

Are you making fun of his torture-dispensing canine?

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 05:33 PM
If a dog costs more than $100 to cure, he's doomed. I consider spending exorbitant monies on animals unwise (unless they're livestock and there is a good ROI).

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 05:40 PM
Are you making fun of his torture-dispensing canine?

Not in the least. To put it mildly, there's a place in my organization for a dog who can work a water board.

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 05:53 PM
Is she in a private room?

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 05:54 PM
If a dog costs more than $100 to cure, he's doomed. I consider spending exorbitant monies on animals unwise (unless they're livestock and there is a good ROI).

I have said the same thing....and then I drop a grand on the girlfriends mutt...

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 05:59 PM
Is she in a private room? Hes a boy and no, theres room for more but its just my Bennie Owen and a golden retriever puppy named Phoenix in our room. They're really nice. The tech who works here brought me a chicken salad sandwich, cottage cheese and grapes for brunch. I'm not leaving his side until my daughter comes back.

Eight years ago I took my other dog to OSU Animal Hospital in Stillwater on Dec. 20th and they said a veterinarian couldn't even see him until January 4th because they were on Christmas break. :rolleyes:

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 06:02 PM
Hes a boy and no., theres room for more but its just my Bennie Owen and a golden retriever puppy named Phoenix in our room.

Sorry to call a guy a girl...

Hopefully Bennie will rise from the ashes..

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 07:18 PM
I have said the same thing....and then I drop a grand on the girlfriends mutt...

You're not really dropping the money on the mutt, but rather the girlfriend. If that dog belonged to me and I asked you to pay, he's a goner.

soonerscuba
3/4/2011, 07:34 PM
Different strokes and all, and if there is a vet willing to put up with it, fine, but it strikes me as very weird that anybody would cot out for an animal.

BajaOklahoma
3/4/2011, 08:35 PM
I have a friend whose Sheepie had back surgery at CSU. The rehab was done at Alameda East (from Animal Planet's Emergency Vet). Lots of us were able to watch the rehab online. Very cool.

AlbqSooner
3/4/2011, 08:35 PM
Some of you just don't get the concept of an animal being a close companion. I feel sorry for you. Pets can teach you a lot about unconditional love.

Mama, hope Bennie gets some relief. You too.

C&CDean
3/4/2011, 08:43 PM
I am reclusing myself from this thread. I love my dogs. Dearly. However...

SoonerKnight
3/4/2011, 08:46 PM
I am reclusing myself from this thread. I love my dogs. Dearly. However...

We know what you do to dogs!! :eek:

C&CDean
3/4/2011, 08:52 PM
We know what you do to dogs!! :eek:

Yeah? Tonight Lott's Bandana came out and we took the very old dog for a ride and the younger dog followed us. We drove over a couple hundred acres, enjoyed ourselves very much, and now the very old dog (Boomer/Fatass/Chunk/doublewide) is sleeping in my recliner. Of course if Boomer was in critical condition I would not spend a dime to keep him alive. Why? He's fixin' to die anyhow. Actually I would spend a dime. Whatever it would cost to send him off to doggie heaven without pain/suffering. That's my only deal with people extending their pets' lives. If the little **** is suffering, and there's no hope of a complete recovery, it's cruel/inhumane/extremely selfish to keep them around simply for our pleasure. They deserve to die when they need to die. Do not extend your dog's life. They're not people.

yermom
3/4/2011, 09:05 PM
so much for reclusing yourself :D

C&CDean
3/4/2011, 09:09 PM
Heh. I guess so.

SoonerKnight
3/4/2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah? Tonight Lott's Bandana came out and we took the very old dog for a ride and the younger dog followed us. We drove over a couple hundred acres, enjoyed ourselves very much, and now the very old dog (Boomer/Fatass/Chunk/doublewide) is sleeping in my recliner. Of course if Boomer was in critical condition I would not spend a dime to keep him alive. Why? He's fixin' to die anyhow. Actually I would spend a dime. Whatever it would cost to send him off to doggie heaven without pain/suffering. That's my only deal with people extending their pets' lives. If the little **** is suffering, and there's no hope of a complete recovery, it's cruel/inhumane/extremely selfish to keep them around simply for our pleasure. They deserve to die when they need to die. Do not extend your dog's life. They're not people.

I was referring to the stray dogs. It was you that gets all them stray dogs isn't it? :confused:

MamaMia
3/5/2011, 04:58 PM
Good news!!!!! Ben is up and around,. Hes all happy. Hes wagging his tail and giving the kids kisses. :P He just finished off a cup of boiled chicken. Now, its off to the acupuncturist vet clinic on Monday. The two veterinarians are going to have a conference call next week, but either way, the vet here said that he thinks Bennie can live a happy life.

If he has another flare up we'll have to seriously consider the surgery. No more Frisbee though because it causes too much pressure on his neck. They said that since he has an ID chip, to try and let him go without the collar for now. Hes doesnt leave my side anyway. No walks for about a month, but we can take him with the other dog in a pet stroller, so we have a stroller now. That way he wont feel left out.

He can swim in the heated pool once it gets warm enough, (the doctor said thats perfect therapy) ...but no more doggy surfing in the ocean and no more water boarding behind the boat at the lake. We'll let him float around on his board at the 10 mile marker though. He likes that. We have to use a mesh harness they gave us, for when he needs to be on a leash. It causes less tension than the one we had. :D

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 05:00 PM
Damn, lady, that is some ugly baby you have in the stroller....

Glad to hear that he is feeling up to snuff...

MamaMia
3/5/2011, 05:11 PM
Oh...and for all you people who don't get it...my dog can say "Mama." He says that if anyone tries to pick him up but me. :D

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 05:18 PM
Oh...and for all you people who don't get it...my dog can say "Mama." He says that if anyone tries to pick him up but me. :D

Then he can do more than 75% of the posters on the SO...

soonersis
3/5/2011, 07:31 PM
Good to hear about Bennie, Mama. My fur baby Buckley is at the emergency vet now. He will most likely have surgery for a ruptured disc tonight.

MamaMia
3/5/2011, 10:33 PM
Good to hear about Bennie, Mama. My fur baby Buckley is at the emergency vet now. He will most likely have surgery for a ruptured disc tonight.

Is he in the city? What happened? I said a prayer for Buckley. :(

SoonerKnight
3/6/2011, 08:02 PM
Hey Mamma,

My dog is named Benny as well but I named him after Jack Benny!! :D

C&CDean
3/6/2011, 08:09 PM
I was referring to the stray dogs. It was you that gets all them stray dogs isn't it? :confused:

Stray dogs? Get them by the dozen. It still ain't easy.

Here's the deal. If you spend human-type money to keep your dog alive you're not very smart. What's a dog gonna live? 10-15 years? My beef is with people who spend thousands to keep a dog alive who is suffering. The dog hurts people. Do the right thing, no matter how much it hurts you.

That's my deal. People keeping pets alive to make their own lives better when the pet is suffering like a mofo. Suffering is suffering. End it when it needs to be ended.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 09:21 PM
Suffering is suffering. End it when it needs to be ended.

In other words, there comes a time when a dog must play olevet to life's C&CDean.

AlbqSooner
3/6/2011, 10:18 PM
Hint: Just because a thought forms in your brain does not mean you need to share it with others.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 10:27 PM
lol

C&CDean
3/7/2011, 10:19 AM
In other words, there comes a time when a dog must play olevet to life's C&CDean.

Blow me, ****tard.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 11:53 AM
Tough crowd.

MamaMia
3/7/2011, 09:16 PM
Hey Mamma,

My dog is named Benny as well but I named him after Jack Benny!! :D

I like you more and more every day. :D

I have never known any other dog named Bennie, except mine. The kids named mine. His whole name is Bennie Owen St. Francis; after Coach Owen and Francis, the Italian priest who became the patron saint of animals.

What kind of dog is your Benny? Do you have a photo?