PDA

View Full Version : Taxes

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2011, 02:08 PM
I've usually already finished our tax returns by this time every year. I haven't even touched them this year.

Anyone else not all excited about the number crunching?

SoCaliSooner
3/4/2011, 02:14 PM
Did mine February, 6th...had them e-filed the 14th.

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 02:15 PM
Gotta wait for the docs from my company. They're taking forever this year.

Caboose
3/4/2011, 02:16 PM
I've usually already finished our tax returns by this time every year. I haven't even touched them this year.

Mine were done before the end of January. Had my refund by Feb 8th. Mine were too easy to not just go ahead and do this year.

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2011, 02:16 PM
I've got all the paperwork . . . I'm just being lazy.

Where's Beef or Stanley when you need them. :)

1890MilesToNorman
3/4/2011, 02:17 PM
I haven't prepared my bill for Obama and crowd yet. Didn't make anything in 2010 so I'm trying to pull a big number out of my *** to send them.

stoops the eternal pimp
Did mine February, 6th...had them e-filed the 14th.

Ditto this right here

Mississippi Sooner
Mine were done before the end of January. Had my refund by Feb 8th. Mine were too easy to not just go ahead and do this year.

Me, too. In fact, I had my refund spent before February was half over. Of course, having shoulder surgery ate up most of it.

SoCaliSooner
3/4/2011, 02:19 PM
Me, too. In fact, I had my refund spent before February was half over. Of course, having shoulder surgery ate up most of it.
You may be able to deduct medical costs from next years return and get some of it back...

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 02:20 PM
Stupid OK state taxes always seem to take whatever return I get from Federal.

Mississippi Sooner
3/4/2011, 02:21 PM
You may be able to deduct medical costs from next years return and get some of it back...

Planning to do exactly that. Gonna keep every scrap of paper from that fun little experience.

Mjcpr
3/4/2011, 02:24 PM
Planning to do exactly that. Gonna keep every scrap of paper from that fun little experience.

I think they have to exceed a certain threashold before you can deduct them so if you could get really sick this year, it would help you out a lot.

SoCaliSooner
3/4/2011, 02:27 PM
Deduct your mileage to and from any treatments as well. Buy ANYTHING you can use ie advil, brace, ice packs, separately and deduct those too...

SoCaliSooner
3/4/2011, 02:29 PM
I think they have to exceed a certain threashold before you can deduct them so if you could get really sick this year, it would help you out a lot.
I think if it exceeds 7.5% of your income...I think

OhU1
3/4/2011, 02:37 PM
I used Turbo Tax for the first time. Wow, TT makes doing taxes easy. They really take a lot of the headache out of the process. During the great snow storm of February 1st I turned on some tunes, ran TT, and was done in about an hour.

Whet
3/4/2011, 02:37 PM
I don't even want to start on that stuff.

Mississippi Sooner
3/4/2011, 02:40 PM
I used Turbo Tax for the first time. Wow, TT makes doing taxes easy. They really take a lot of the headache out of the process. During the great snow storm of February 1st I turned on some tunes, ran TT, and was done in about an hour.

Ditto on the Turbo Tax. I've used it for the past four years, and I'm a true believer.

Mississippi Sooner
3/4/2011, 02:42 PM

Shouldn't be much of a problem. It just so happens, right before I had to have my surgery, my wife broke her arm in two places. Medical bills are a given in my house each year.

And yeah, we did get some funny looks around town. She had her left arm in a sling, and I had my right arm in one. We just told most people we had a hell of a drunken brawl.

Mjcpr
3/4/2011, 02:46 PM

Ditto on the Turbo Tax. I've used it for the past four years, and I'm a true believer.

Yep, Turbo Tax is great. I'd use it if it was a LOT cheaper. Instead, I use Tax Slayer and do both federal and state taxes for $9.95, e-filed and direct deposit. I do them in Turbo Tax as well ane make sure the refunds are the same because I think Turbo Tax is much easier to use and I know if the refund amount is the same, it's probably accurate.

badger
3/4/2011, 02:47 PM
Step one: Get big return from federal government!

Step two: Give it all to Oklahoma because apparently we owe them whatever our federal tax refund amount was.

Caboose
3/4/2011, 02:49 PM

Step two: Give it all to Oklahoma because apparently we owe them whatever our federal tax refund amount was.

Doh.

Caboose
3/4/2011, 02:50 PM
I use TaxSlayer.com. Incredibly fast and easy.

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 02:57 PM

Yeah, this is an annual tradition. Stupid OK state taxes.

Anyone have any idea why this is? It's not like I messed up the w-2 or anything...

SanJoaquinSooner
3/4/2011, 04:11 PM
You can adjust your withholding on state taxes, separate from federal withholdings, if you'd prefer not to owe on state taxes each filing season.

texaspokieokie
3/4/2011, 04:21 PM
well, at least we have no state income tax.

texaspokieokie
3/4/2011, 04:22 PM
You can adjust your withholding on state taxes, separate from federal withholdings, if you'd prefer not to owe on state taxes each filing season.

when i lived in CA (40 yrs ago), they didn't withold state income tax.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/4/2011, 04:25 PM
when i lived in CA (40 yrs ago), they didn't withold state income tax.

California does now.

texaspokieokie
3/4/2011, 04:29 PM
California does now.

yeah, i could see that. the amount of taxes to be paid in 1970 was miniscule compared to now.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/4/2011, 04:30 PM
I think if it exceeds 7.5% of your income...I think

That's correct. You can only deduct medical expenses more than 7.5% of income. And, of course, that's an itemized deduction.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/4/2011, 04:36 PM
I still haven't done mine. I hardly ever get money back so I'm not overly motivated.

OUthunder
3/4/2011, 04:56 PM

yep, neither one of have even looked yet. I know it's gonna suck cuz Obama hates the middle class like no other.

Ctina
3/5/2011, 02:19 AM
Hubby uses taxact.com. We usually have them done by mid-Feb but they got messed up last year thanks to my school stuff and so we owe like $1100 to the Feds. Major suckage.

rekamrettuB
3/5/2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah, this is an annual tradition. Stupid OK state taxes.

Anyone have any idea why this is? It's not like I messed up the w-2 or anything...

Oklahoma has their own tax withholding table and it's a little more aggressive than federal's. More aggressive in the fact that it wants to get you a little closer to zero.

So don't blame the state of Oklahoma for it. Blame the federal for taking more of your money throughout the year than it should.

Sooner5030
3/5/2011, 01:27 PM
I still haven't changed my withholding from when I was single. They're withholding as if I was single but I now have a wife and kid. Makes for a decent surprise at the end of the year......even if I loaned free money to the gubment.....it's psychological I guess.

soonercruiser
3/5/2011, 01:37 PM
Deduct your mileage to and from any treatments as well. Buy ANYTHING you can use ie advil, brace, ice packs, separately and deduct those too...

Bingo!
Keep mileage to docs, labs, pharmacy runs, etc.
Also can deduct mileage for charity.
Last time I checked the medial deduction, it was 3% of gross income as the kick off point.
Will have to look it up.

badger
3/5/2011, 02:45 PM
Oklahoma has their own tax withholding table and it's a little more aggressive than federal's. More aggressive in the fact that it wants to get you a little closer to zero.

So don't blame the state of Oklahoma for it. Blame the federal for taking more of your money throughout the year than it should.

It's not that Oklahoma is about right in charging taxes... it's that for every bit the feds shouldn't have taken, Oklahoma apparently should have. We have to cut a check to them every year that's about the same size as the check we get from the feds.

Very weird... but, hopefully the extra funds will get better roads, better education and better jobs statewide or something.

I Am Right
3/5/2011, 06:54 PM
I pay enought taxes thank you!

rekamrettuB
3/7/2011, 10:02 AM
It's not that Oklahoma is about right in charging taxes... it's that for every bit the feds shouldn't have taken, Oklahoma apparently should have. We have to cut a check to them every year that's about the same size as the check we get from the feds.

Very weird... but, hopefully the extra funds will get better roads, better education and better jobs statewide or something.

Change your w/holding then on your state. It comes out the same after a full year. Instead of paying them at year end, you pay them more throughout the year. Though as long as you aren't paying interest and penalties for underpayment you should leave it the same.

OutlandTrophy
3/7/2011, 10:05 AM
We are way behind this year. My accountant is probably pissed that I haven't given him our stuff yet.

C&CDean
3/7/2011, 10:28 AM
Took everything to the accountant when I was home last time. He had them ready a week later. He e-filed them and I got my state return last Friday, and am expecting my federal this coming Friday. Advice: buy a farm. Our income tax returns are the single biggest payday of the year for the farm.

Also, I don't know how people put it off till April. I'm too anal for that ****. I want them done so I don't have to think about it for another year. Dragging it out is too stressful.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/7/2011, 10:56 AM
you are very anal...very...anal

OutlandTrophy
3/7/2011, 10:56 AM
you taught him...

stoops the eternal pimp
3/7/2011, 10:59 AM
You bet I did...and you are partly responsible for that

I Am Right
3/7/2011, 07:59 PM
Those of you who receive assistance from the State and Feds, I hope things get better for you, but if you receive assistance, just say thank you and be on your way!

OUmillenium
3/8/2011, 02:12 PM
Stupid OK state taxes always seem to take whatever return I get from Federal.

This. We had a kid in 2010.

$1200 back from Fed but owe state over $600.

soonerbrat
3/8/2011, 02:14 PM
i am dreading it...I am gonna owe even more $$ I have the IRS guy do mine.

C&CDean
3/8/2011, 02:19 PM
Adjust your witholding. Anybody who owes big $$ at the end of the year ain't doing it right.

NormanPride
3/8/2011, 02:37 PM
It's the same for both state and fed... can you make it different for each one?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/8/2011, 02:39 PM
I get a nice a big return every year...I deduct everything and use the return to buy enough malt liquor for the year

Mjcpr
3/8/2011, 02:40 PM

Pretty sure, yeah. My wife upped her state witholding because they weren't taking out enough.

C&CDean
3/8/2011, 02:40 PM

I'm about 99% sure you can. Ask your personnel folks (or whoever handles your pay). Maybe even your accountant.

NormanPride
3/8/2011, 02:51 PM
I will do that, then. I am tired of paying out almost everything the Fed owes me.

soonerbrat
3/8/2011, 03:04 PM
Adjust your witholding. Anybody who owes big $$ at the end of the year ain't doing it right.

I know. in the middle of 2010 I had to change my tax returns for 2008 and 2009, and the first 6 months of 2010 I didn't have the right withholding.

Jacie
3/8/2011, 03:12 PM
I have to file federal and returns for two states. Then I also have to prepare a form to ask one of the states to reimburse me for the tax on the money I paid to the other state.

C&CDean
3/8/2011, 03:16 PM
I know. in the middle of 2010 I had to change my tax returns for 2008 and 2009, and the first 6 months of 2010 I didn't have the right withholding.

Way back in the day, right after I got out of the Army I got hired at the PO. Anyhow, since they didn't take Arizona state taxes out of my check while in the military, the PO did the same thing. 1978, 1979, and 1980. I didn't get state taxes taken out, nor did I file any state taxes. In 1981, I get a bunch of forms from the IRS in the mail with directions to fill them out for tax years 78, 79, and 80. I was told I would have to pay back taxes, interest, and any penalties, etc.

I go up to personnel and sure enough, they never set up witholding for state taxes. I got them to set it up right away, and filed taxes for tax year 1981 and beyond.

I was young and dumb back then and never did fill out the forms for the 3 missing years. I never once got a call back or any other correspondence from the IRS either. Never really worried about it much either. Guess I was one of the lucky ones who slipped through the cracks. Before I posted this I checked the statute of limitations for the IRS to collect owed $$. 10-years.

Ever since then though I totally ensure everything is kosher on my returns. My accountant takes great pains to double-check everything. I feel like I got a reprieve and sure don't wanna **** it up.

NormanPride
3/8/2011, 03:21 PM
I bet you're the reason we're in debt. Those tax returns totaled 4 trillion, right?

JohnnyMack
3/8/2011, 03:25 PM
Pretty sure, yeah. My wife upped her state witholding because they weren't taking out enough.

I thought she said you weren't putting in enough?

C&CDean
3/8/2011, 03:32 PM
I bet you're the reason we're in debt. Those tax returns totaled 4 trillion, right?

Easy 4 tril. Maybe 5.

Mjcpr
3/8/2011, 03:41 PM
I thought she said you weren't putting in enough?

I was putting in enough to get a massive refund.

Mjcpr
3/8/2011, 03:59 PM
Way back in the day, right after I got out of the Army I got hired at the PO. Anyhow, since they didn't take Arizona state taxes out of my check while in the military, the PO did the same thing. 1978, 1979, and 1980. I didn't get state taxes taken out, nor did I file any state taxes. In 1981, I get a bunch of forms from the IRS in the mail with directions to fill them out for tax years 78, 79, and 80. I was told I would have to pay back taxes, interest, and any penalties, etc.

I go up to personnel and sure enough, they never set up witholding for state taxes. I got them to set it up right away, and filed taxes for tax year 1981 and beyond.

I was young and dumb back then and never did fill out the forms for the 3 missing years. I never once got a call back or any other correspondence from the IRS either. Never really worried about it much either. Guess I was one of the lucky ones who slipped through the cracks. Before I posted this I checked the statute of limitations for the IRS to collect owed $$. 10-years.

Ever since then though I totally ensure everything is kosher on my returns. My accountant takes great pains to double-check everything. I feel like I got a reprieve and sure don't wanna **** it up.

You prolly never heard back from the IRS because they don't have anything to do with state of Arizona taxes or any other state's taxes.

YWIA. :D

saucysoonergal
3/8/2011, 04:09 PM
Pat is so smart and stuff.