PDA

View Full Version : Trice to transfer

Jay C. Upchurch
3/4/2011, 12:13 PM
NORMAN -- Oklahoma Head Football Coach Bob Stoops said today that defensive back Marcus Trice plans to transfer to another school.

“Marcus is looking for another opportunity and we’ll do everything we can to help him find a good situation,” Stoops said. “Marcus has worked hard here and will leave with our best wishes.”

Trice, from Mesquite, Texas, just completed his sophomore season. He saw action in all 14 games last season, mostly as a member of the special teams. He registered nine tackles and one forced fumble.

OU SID Report

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/4/2011, 12:14 PM
5'7 190 according to Soonersports.

He was either a beast or out of shape

BoulderSooner79
3/4/2011, 12:15 PM
He was the fink! He was the fink! (cried the lynch mob)

yermom
3/4/2011, 12:32 PM
at this point, i hope he was...

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 12:38 PM
Really....Can't we get good news this offseason.

SoonerShay
3/4/2011, 12:41 PM
Really....Can't we get good news this offseason.

This is good news, we need the scholarships open for incoming recruits. We got another one from a player that is probably a 3rd stringer in the backfield.

MojoRisen
3/4/2011, 12:55 PM
This kind of sucks - he was good on Special Teams

SoonerPr8r
3/4/2011, 01:05 PM
This is good news, we need the scholarships open for incoming recruits. We got another one from a player that is probably a 3rd stringer in the backfield.

Yea like more kickers!

SoonerShay
3/4/2011, 01:06 PM
Yea like more kickers!

I thought some kickers would of left by now on their own. It should be obvious to them, they can't all be used here.

On the other hand, why give up free school unless someone makes you.

Soonermagik
3/4/2011, 01:08 PM
I heard he is headed to TCU, so we shall see. I wish him the best.

soonerborn45
3/4/2011, 01:17 PM
I heard from a credible person that Trice was the one that taped the recording of Martinez. Maybe he felt it was time to get the hell outta dodge.

Chiliman
3/4/2011, 01:21 PM

Actually, I wish they'd give a ship to Rateree.

TahoeSOONER
3/4/2011, 01:22 PM
Trice was a little man that played big. Losing a lot of depth in the secondary.

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 01:25 PM
To me an opening of a scholly isn't good news. It means the coaches failed in some aspect of recruiting or something bad happened to warrant the loss of a scholly. Even if he was 3rd string, he gave special teams a boost and helped the team. He wasn't a distraction.

sooner518
3/4/2011, 01:38 PM
I heard from a credible person that Trice was the one that taped the recording of Martinez. Maybe he felt it was time to get the hell outta dodge.

someone posted on here the other day who they heard it was, and it was not Trice. shouldnt be too hard to find unless it was deleted

Muno
3/4/2011, 01:38 PM

I have heard this as well from someone within the program.

CBUS_SOONER
3/4/2011, 02:03 PM
When David confirms i will believe it

SoonerShay
3/4/2011, 02:05 PM
To me an opening of a scholly isn't good news. It means the coaches failed in some aspect of recruiting or something bad happened to warrant the loss of a scholly. Even if he was 3rd string, he gave special teams a boost and helped the team. He wasn't a distraction.

Sounds like you expect perfection? So the coaches should never miss on any recruit and nothing bad should ever happen?

He made a few plays on kick coverage, but that didn't stop us from sucking in that area. I am not seeing the loss here.

How could you or any of us know if he was a distraction, unless you are a part of the team?

He was already behind or got passed up by numerous other players.

Him leaving is a win for both parties.

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 02:12 PM
Sounds like you expect perfection? So the coaches should never miss on any recruit and nothing bad should ever happen?

He made a few plays on kick coverage, but that didn't stop us from sucking in that area. I am not seeing the loss here.

How could you or any of us know if he was a distraction, unless you are a part of the team?

He was already behind or got passed up by numerous other players.

Him leaving is a win for both parties.

Who said I'm expecting perfection? I'm not, but an athlete like Marcus Trice shouldn't be wanting to leave. That is an issue. It is all part of chemistry. Who knows he could have been a very well liked player in the locker room? I think that does have an impact.

I can only see it as a win-win if stuff like this doesn't happen. We have had way too much news during the offseason. Small things like this snowball and bring chemistry down.

soonerborn45
3/4/2011, 02:13 PM
someone posted on here the other day who they heard it was, and it was not Trice. shouldnt be too hard to find unless it was deleted

It will never come out exactly who was the snitch but the odds are overwhelmingly in the favor of Trice.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/4/2011, 02:24 PM
Who said I'm expecting perfection? I'm not, but an athlete like Marcus Trice shouldn't be wanting to leave. That is an issue. It is all part of chemistry. Who knows he could have been a very well liked player in the locker room? I think that does have an impact.

I can only see it as a win-win if stuff like this doesn't happen. We have had way too much news during the offseason. Small things like this snowball and bring chemistry down.

I have never known a snitch to be a well liked person

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 02:31 PM
To me an opening of a scholly isn't good news. It means the coaches failed in some aspect of recruiting or something bad happened to warrant the loss of a scholly.

I would go one step further: It means that a player failed in some way to obtain the education/sports opportunities that he wanted coming out of high school. If the school is at fault in some way, that's no good.

BoulderSooner79
3/4/2011, 02:32 PM
I have never known a snitch to be a well liked person

You don't know who it was. Geez, you people.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/4/2011, 02:35 PM
You don't know who it was. Geez, you people.

I don't care who it was (even though multiple sources have said it's trice)
I was referring to snitches in general

Mad Dog Madsen
3/4/2011, 02:37 PM
Who cares who it is?!? I mean really, first it was Fleming, then Kevin Brent, and now Marcus Trice?!? *smh*

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 02:39 PM
I don't care who it was (even though multiple sources have said it's trice)
I was referring to snitches in general

I agree. If he snitched, he gets what he deserves. I just also think chemistry is overlooked sometimes and certain players add to the ambiance of locker rooms, but don't do much on a field. I'm sure this isn't going to be an issue, but I would like some good news if you know what I mean.

BoulderSooner79
3/4/2011, 02:40 PM
Who cares who it is?!? I mean really, first it was Fleming, then Kevin Brent, and now Marcus Trice?!? *smh*

Exactly and it will probably go through every DB on the roster and some that weren't even there. People could also quote speculators on this message board "sources".

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 02:45 PM
Exactly and it will probably go through every DB on the roster and some that weren't even there. People could also quote speculators on this message board "sources".

I think BoulderSooner79 did it! He sounds fishy.

sooner518
3/4/2011, 02:51 PM
Im guessing if I really wanted to, I could create a rumor that alot of people would buy that Tony Jefferson or Hurst or Javon Harris was the snitch. Itd probably be scary easy:
"One of my friends lives in the athletic dorms and he has heard from multiple players that (player X) was the snitch and now he is looking to transfer to (school Y)"

In 2 hours, it'd be on Landthieves.
In 3 hours, it'd be on orangepower.
In 4 hours, it'd be on Hornfans and texags

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 02:53 PM
Im guessing if I really wanted to, I could create a rumor that alot of people would buy that Tony Jefferson or Hurst or Javon Harris was the snitch. Itd probably be scary easy:
"One of my friends lives in the athletic dorms and he has heard from multiple players that (player X) was the snitch and now he is looking to transfer to (school Y)"

In 2 hours, it'd be on Landthieves.
In 3 hours, it'd be on orangepower.
In 4 hours, it'd be on Hornfans and texags

Do it. I want to see all those idiots on the other boards think they are smart.

sooner518
3/4/2011, 03:16 PM
Do it. I want to see all those idiots on the other boards think they are smart.

it'd be funny, but would be mean and would hurt the reputation of anonymous internet posters throughout the world. I just cant do that to the "Delta"s of the world. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ping
3/4/2011, 03:52 PM
Trice had a blocked punt and a forced fumble that resulted in a safety, significant role on special teams. He was also rumored to be getting a try at WR this year. Great athlete and the most energetic person on the team by far. Sad to see him go, but wish him the best!
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k145/OleKingCole3114/trice.jpg

BoulderSooner79
3/4/2011, 04:02 PM
I think BoulderSooner79 did it! He sounds fishy.

Busted!! :O

humblesooner
3/4/2011, 04:08 PM
We have between 80 and 100 players who are not snitches, are not transferring to another school, are not doing drugs and/or drinking, who are not.....etc, etc, etc.

There is the good news.

I mean our scholarships are full. So we aren't picking up any 10 star recruits. What kind of good news is expected?

If you had 100 or so 17-23 year-olds, and had 3 fall out for whatever reason - lonely, stupid, unlucky - that's a pretty good track record.

badger
3/4/2011, 04:16 PM
All of you need to read this.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110304_92_0_Oklaho473195)

For several weeks, speculation has focused on Trice as the player who turned his position coach into the school’s compliance department for what OU later reported as a secondary violation of NCAA rules. A former team source had previously told the Tulsa World that Trice was the player.

But Trice isn’t leaving because of that incident, both Trice and a second team source said.

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 04:26 PM

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110304_92_0_Oklaho473195)

Seems like he made the choice for the right reasons then. If he truly wants to keep playing, then OU wasn't the right place. I hope he does well wherever he goes.

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 04:48 PM
I'm gonna miss watching the dude fly around on ST. He was a bright spot along with Ronnell IMO.

B1rd
3/4/2011, 04:57 PM
Too bad he cannot go to ISU and play on Jack Trice field.

Kilmer
3/4/2011, 05:36 PM
So he wants to go somewhere he can play, yet is willing to sit out an entire season to do so? I guess he got the impression that he might not ever be a starter to make that kind of a decision. Good luck to him wherever he goes...tough decision.

stoopified
3/4/2011, 07:02 PM
So he WAS the sitch,explains his desire to leave.

MamaMia
3/4/2011, 07:20 PM
I don't think we should speculate about who did it. Its an awful feeling getting blamed for something you didn't do. Accusations always have a snowball aspect.

OK2U
3/4/2011, 09:08 PM

“He didn’t record it,” the second source clarified. “What happened was (Martinez) left a message on his voicemail, and he kept the voicemail. That’s a big difference. It sounds sexier to print it like (it was recorded), but that’s not the way it happened.”

heh
When i first suggested in a thread that the "Recording" was probably just a voicemail message and not a secret out-to-get-you hidden microphone recording I got laughed at.

jersey sooner
3/4/2011, 09:17 PM
If he was the rat, then get the hell out and I hope we play the team he transfers to so we can rape him. Snitches get stitches. But, if he wasn't the snitch, maybe this a very good sign. 4 star recruit realizing we have too much talent for him to ever see the field, even after losing our all conference corner? Maybe Colvin really is as good as he looked in Dallas.

Rocko
3/4/2011, 10:22 PM
Also from the link Badger posted,

According to documents obtained by the Tulsa World through open records laws, an unnamed student-athlete last July declined to sign a compliance department log documenting hours spent in voluntary offseason workouts

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110304_92_0_Oklaho473195

This all happened LAST summer it seems. So we don't need to worry about a lack of work ethic prior to a possible championship season like we've all been doing.

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 10:50 PM
If he was the rat, then get the hell out and I hope we play the team he transfers to so we can rape him. Snitches get stitches.

Somehow I feel like I'm back in middle school.

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 11:00 PM
Somehow I feel like I'm back in middle school.

Except in middle school you were the bully weren't you?

yermom
3/4/2011, 11:00 PM
lots of stitches?

jersey sooner
3/4/2011, 11:04 PM
a plethora

SoonerMom2
3/5/2011, 12:30 AM
Lot of people seem to know that it was a backup defensive back so draw your own conclusions. Have said all along that it wouldn't be the coaches that would be the problem with the snitch but the leaders of the team like Travis Lewis. The guys that work really hard would not want to have someone on the team that didn't believe in pulling their weight in the off-season.

Don't get what the problem is with the transfer as OU needs to open up several scholarships for new recruits. If you have been here two years and are just on special teams chances are with the outstanding class last this and this year's recruits, you might not even be on the field for special teams.

Whatever the reason, the scholarship will be put to good use.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 12:39 AM

It is the name of the game. Players leave every team every season.

Now if Trice was the rat, then I think that is it good for him to get out.

yermom
3/5/2011, 12:40 AM
yeah, i don't really have any ill will, but i can't imagine that's good for chemistry

if it's not him, then there is still someone on the team complaining about workouts...

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 12:41 AM

Did Georgia have an issue with DBs leaving when Martinez was there?

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 12:43 AM
I agree. If he snitched, he gets what he deserves. I just also think chemistry is overlooked sometimes and certain players add to the ambiance of locker rooms, but don't do much on a field. I'm sure this isn't going to be an issue, but I would like some good news if you know what I mean.

Chemistry? This is not a love relationship.

The team does need continuity, but chemistry? Chemistry? Really? Chemistry?

Okay, Ill stop my version of the Allen Iverson Rant.

Anyway...Football is not based off of chemistry...it is based off of discipline and assignment fundamentals.

Like I said before, players transfer every year for whatever reason.

Rocko
3/5/2011, 12:45 AM
Do people even read? There is a whole article that Badger posted with Trice being quoted that he is not the snitch. READ PEOPLE!

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 12:47 AM
yeah, i don't really have any ill will, but i can't imagine that's good for chemistry

if it's not him, then there is still someone on the team complaining about workouts...

Why are you all using the word chemistry? I guess I would choose a different word...like continuity.

For any player to go glabbing about what is going on in the program with work outs or practice cannot be trusted....that is for sure...and you can bet that the coaches know full well who it was.

I know when I played, even in lil ol' NAIA division, we lost players because they broke policies, written or unwritten...and snitching on the program is a violation of the unwritten rule, when it comes to something so minor anyway.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 12:48 AM
Do people even read? There is a whole article that Badger posted with Trice being quoted that he is not the snitch. READ PEOPLE!

Thanks for letting us all know what an article read...of course the snitch will not be made public...at least not right now.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 12:51 AM
Chemistry? This is not a love relationship.

The team does need continuity, but chemistry? Chemistry? Really? Chemistry?

Okay, Ill stop my version of the Allen Iverson Rant.

Anyway...Football is not based off of chemistry...it is based off of discipline and assignment fundamentals.

Like I said before, players transfer every year for whatever reason.

I'm talking more along the lines of camaraderie in the locker room and off the field. You never know how losses like this affect the persona of the DB group or the defense etc. Of course it could always have a positive effect as well. I think you get my gist.

yermom
3/5/2011, 12:52 AM

heh. guilty. i was just looking at what was quoted.

Leroy Lizard
3/5/2011, 12:53 AM
Except in middle school you were the bully weren't you?

Not sure what you're getting at there.

All this "snitch" and "rat" talk is rather embarrassing. C'mon, I thought we were a little better than that.

yermom
3/5/2011, 12:55 AM
Why are you all using the word chemistry? I guess I would choose a different word...like continuity.

For any player to go glabbing about what is going on in the program with work outs or practice cannot be trusted....that is for sure...and you can bet that the coaches know full well who it was.

I know when I played, even in lil ol' NAIA division, we lost players because they broke policies, written or unwritten...and snitching on the program is a violation of the unwritten rule, when it comes to something so minor anyway.

i'm thinking more like a guy in the locker room talking about how the coaches can't really make them work out in the offseason so much, and they don't have to if they don't want to

a guy going to the compliance office, while that's what he's "supposed to do", and the coaches shouldn't have been doing what they were doing, is still probably in the wrong place with his thought process, IMO

yermom
3/5/2011, 12:57 AM
i was the snitch-rat hall monitor and teacher's pet. i got wedgies constantly. i started liking them. now i get internet wedgies. thank you sir, may i have another?

FTFY :D

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 12:58 AM
I'm talking more along the lines of camaraderie in the locker room and off the field. You never know how losses like this affect the persona of the DB group or the defense etc. Of course it could always have a positive effect as well. I think you get my gist.

His leaving is not really going to affect our DB group. Sure they may be losing a close friend or even a mentor...but it will not affect the play on the field...mainly be Trice was not going to be seeing the Field of play, without injuries in front of him, as a starter within the next two seasons.

It is sad that he wants to leave...but if he doesn't think he is going to get any playing time, then he is doing the best thing for him.

It is a very tough decision to transfer to a different program, I know, I did it. But it is not a doomsday thing or a major affect on a group of players.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 01:01 AM
i'm thinking more like a guy in the locker room talking about how the coaches can't really make them work out in the offseason so much, and they don't have to if they don't want to

a guy going to the compliance office, while that's what he's "supposed to do", and the coaches shouldn't have been doing what they were doing, is still probably in the wrong place with his thought process, IMO

Oh, I agree. No, he doesnt have to work out more than what the NCAA says is the max hours....but whoever it was should not be running to Mommy (the compliance department) because they missed some workouts and the coaches wanted them to make it up. (at least that is how I read what this was all about).

Leroy Lizard
3/5/2011, 01:02 AM

I would like to hear his side of the story before making any assumptions. Again, he didn't go to the NCAA or the media with his story, although he could have. If he was really burnt at the coaching staff over his treatment, why didn't he go to the media like a lot of players have in the past? Why didn't he just go on Twitter or Facebook and call out the coaches? Other players have.

No, he went to the dude specifically hired by OU to field complaints of this type and take care of these situations.

What other options did he have? I don't know because I'm not privy to all that happened.

yermom
3/5/2011, 01:09 AM
i'm not saying to burn him, but yeah, i don't know all the facts, but it sounds bad.

i just think i could be bad for chemistry, and if we are already losing players, i'd rather it be the snitch, because it would seem they wouldn't pull that move if they wanted to stay on the team, and might be soon to follow

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2011, 01:18 AM
double post

oudavid1
3/5/2011, 01:53 AM
When David confirms i will believe it

This has been played out bro.

But it was Trice who turned in Martinez.

And this is not from my source. This is from a friend.

Him and Martinez have never gotten along and thats why he wanted to move to WR.

This is good for all involved.

BoulderSooner79
3/5/2011, 02:45 AM
This has been played out bro.

But it was Trice who turned in Martinez.

And this is not from my source. This is from a friend.

Him and Martinez have never gotten along and thats why he wanted to move to WR.

This is good for all involved.

If this is all true, it's all well and good but there is a key piece missing. Have the coaches re-aquainted themselves with the rule book regarding offseason conditioning? Do you have a source on that one?

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 02:49 AM
Ok, I agree OUdavid is the perp.

oudavid1
3/5/2011, 12:04 PM
If this is all true, it's all well and good but there is a key piece missing. Have the coaches re-aquainted themselves with the rule book regarding offseason conditioning? Do you have a source on that one?

Um not really.

Ok, I agree OUdavid is the perp.

heeeeey, no.

trueou
3/5/2011, 12:13 PM
The way I understand it, we have too many players on the current roster or too many players who have signed letters of intent. The only way to solve that arithmetic problem is attrition of one group or the other. So if you have no one who fails to meet academic requirements of present students or incoming students the next best solution is to go through your roster and find those players who might want to transfer. As long as the person who transfers think they are going to a better place for their personal situation it is a win win for OU and the player.

Identifying those players who are not happy here and helping them move on is much better than turning away a guy who just signed a letter of intent. The latter will give you a recruiting black eye.

BoulderSooner79
3/5/2011, 01:28 PM

Um not really.

I'm assuming our staff took the high road and fixed things. Especially since one of the posts here indicated the problem happened last year and we haven't heard of lingering issues. Just chalk it up to a new coach coming in from the SEC SEC! where any means is justified by the end. (Yes, I just made that up but I'm sticking with it until proven otherwise).

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 01:57 PM
I'm assuming our staff took the high road and fixed things. Especially since one of the posts here indicated the problem happened last year and we haven't heard of lingering issues. Just chalk it up to a new coach coming in from the SEC SEC! where any means is justified by the end. (Yes, I just made that up but I'm sticking with it until proven otherwise).

Very true. He came from the SEC and believed cheating was the right way to do things. With all due respect, this is such a non-issue. It is the coaches fault for actually leaving a message. Sounds like he isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

It is unfortunate that Trice has to leave and that this whole issue could be cleared up by the snitch coming out. Snitches suck, but then again if Martinez didn't screw up there wouldn't have been an issue. We shouldn't always be so fast to say the kid was wrong because he wasn't. It just stinks that he will be seen as a snitch.

oudavid1
3/5/2011, 03:05 PM

I'll put it this way.

All is well in Norman tonight. At least until i get there.

Rhymes with winning.

BoulderSooner79
3/5/2011, 07:25 PM
I'll put it this way.

All is well in Norman tonight. At least until i get there.

Rhymes with winning.

Spinning? Yeah, I dated a spinner once. Good times.

Yes, if you were thinking she was a figure skater, you're correct. ;)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/5/2011, 07:55 PM

one of the best threads i've seen in forever was this one on agtimes.

http://www.agtimes.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=70975

basically it shows you the value of maxing out 25 scholarships per year. it is kind of a strange issue with this board, everyone wants to win a MNC, but they balk at what you have to do to win one.

1. you need to evaluate great college players. our MNC team didn't have a #1 NFL pick on it, but it had a lot of players that were great college players. you need guys who are willing to do the little things and not be the superstar.

2. you can't consistently have bad classes at one position and expect to stay at the top. we've had issues in the secondary since the 1999 recruiting class. on average, only getting one strong starter out of every class since.

3. you can't have early entrants and expect a position to remain strong. the secondary has been plagued by early entrants.

Leroy Lizard
3/5/2011, 08:29 PM
The way I understand it, we have too many players on the current roster or too many players who have signed letters of intent. The only way to solve that arithmetic problem is attrition of one group or the other. So if you have no one who fails to meet academic requirements of present students or incoming students the next best solution is to go through your roster and find those players who might want to transfer. As long as the person who transfers think they are going to a better place for their personal situation it is a win win for OU and the player.

Good idea in principle. The ability to handle this delicately would be an enormous challenge, one that could easily backfire and paint the team's image in DKR-esque tones. I think the conversation needs to be initiated by the player, not the staff.

Leroy Lizard
3/5/2011, 08:31 PM
Very true. He came from the SEC and believed cheating was the right way to do things. With all due respect, this is such a non-issue. It is the coaches fault for actually leaving a message. Sounds like he isn't the brightest crayon in the box.

The coach's mistake was his attitude, not his actions. He shouldn't have tried to get his message across in any shape or form. Voluntary means voluntary.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 10:01 PM
one of the best threads i've seen in forever was this one on agtimes.

http://www.agtimes.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=70975

basically it shows you the value of maxing out 25 scholarships per year. it is kind of a strange issue with this board, everyone wants to win a MNC, but they balk at what you have to do to win one.

1. you need to evaluate great college players. our MNC team didn't have a #1 NFL pick on it, but it had a lot of players that were great college players. you need guys who are willing to do the little things and not be the superstar.

2. you can't consistently have bad classes at one position and expect to stay at the top. we've had issues in the secondary since the 1999 recruiting class. on average, only getting one strong starter out of every class since.

3. you can't have early entrants and expect a position to remain strong. the secondary has been plagued by early entrants.

Thanks. That was a pretty informative and interesting message board topic. It actually shed some light on information I would have never guessed.

Sooner74
3/5/2011, 10:03 PM
The coach's mistake was his attitude, not his actions. He shouldn't have tried to get his message across in any shape or form. Voluntary means voluntary.

This is just something I think Bob frowned pretty heavily upon. I wonder what repercussions to the staff were? What do you think it would be?

oudavid1
3/5/2011, 11:23 PM
Spinning? Yeah, I dated a spinner once. Good times.

Yes, if you were thinking she was a figure skater, you're correct. ;)

cough cheer squad cough.

Leroy Lizard
3/5/2011, 11:59 PM
This is just something I think Bob frowned pretty heavily upon. I wonder what repercussions to the staff were? What do you think it would be?

Would be or should be? I have no idea what he will do. I guess that depends on how serious he is about this NCAA rule.

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 12:36 AM

A simple "cut it out" would suffice the first time.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 12:51 AM
A simple "cut it out" would suffice the first time.

You plan on telling the NCAA that?

SoonerOX
3/6/2011, 01:13 AM
Good luck kid.

oudavid1
3/6/2011, 01:45 AM

nice.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 03:29 AM
nice.

Slice and dice.

soonerloyal
3/6/2011, 09:06 AM

Hopefully, the same as for an unruly and recalcitrant player - Schmitty and the stadium stairs. I'm shorter on patience for staff/older adults in a position whose screwups could negatively affect players and our legendary program.

I hope all this is fixed quickly & completely. It could point to something that stinks to high heaven, and Stoops won't put up with anything that could hurt the team.

I won't spend time speculating on which player(s) did what. I absolutely wish Marcus Trice the best of luck.

IronHorseSooner
3/6/2011, 11:18 AM
Again, it is a numbers thing. We were two over coming into the offseason. With Fleming and Trice not with the team anymore, that puts us right at 85. Coach Stoops said there was going to be attrition, and this is it. That all being said, we have talented young guys back there who the staff raves over (Wilson, Colvin, Shannon, D. Williams, Haynes, Hayes) who want their shot.
I have also been thinking about position moves. Is there a possibility of whomever loses out in the RB rotation could move to the secondary, ala DJ Wolfe? Just askin...

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 11:26 AM
Figure Skates could really hurt your junk. Always make sure he or she takes them off during your date.

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 12:26 PM

The NCAA has already had their say on this one and Bob can point at the consequences when he says "cut it out". Bob could also follow-up with "there are many coaches out their that would jump at the chance to work here".

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 01:04 PM
The NCAA has already had their say on this one and Bob can point at the consequences when he says "cut it out". Bob could also follow-up with "there are many coaches out their that would jump at the chance to work here".

IOW, he's not just saying "cut it out" like you insinuated before. He is threatening them with dismissal if they repeat infractions. Fine. (Although saying "there are many other coaches out there..." is a lousy way to threaten someone with dismissal.)

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 01:16 PM
IOW, he's not just saying "cut it out" like you insinuated before. He is threatening them with dismissal if they repeat infractions. Fine. (Although saying "there are many other coaches out there..." is a lousy way to threaten someone with dismissal.)

I'm just paraphrasing, not implying what should really be said. When a strong leader demands something specific, it gets done. If it's not addressed, he leaves the impression it's no big deal, just part of doing business. I'm just hoping it's not the latter in this case.

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 04:01 PM
Voluntary means voluntary.

When you're on a full scholarship to play football at one of the most prestigious programs in the country, does voluntary really mean voluntary? How many of our players who plan on starting do you think missed these "voluntary" workouts. It would be one thing if this kid had a legitimate reason to not be there, in which case I would bet the coaches would know about and would not call him out on. But for the coach to call him out on it sounds like he had no reason not to be there. Its probably better for our team chemistry for a kid like that not to be here.

yermom
3/6/2011, 04:13 PM
by rule, the coaches aren't even supposed to know.

so asking about it shows that they were already out of bounds

yeah, a kid is on scholarship to play for OU, it's his responsibility to stay in shape in the off-season without the coaches on his ***, but the coaches aren't supposed to be involved. that's the player's choice if he wants to be as good as he can be and get on the field, win games, etc...

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 04:29 PM
I know its the rules, and I'm sure someone on their high-horse is gonna rip me for this but...how many division 1 coaches do you think aren't aware of what players are attending "voluntary" workouts a week before spring practice begins? If the coach had been caught punishing the kid in any way, that would be a different story.

yermom
3/6/2011, 04:39 PM
you are basically saying coaches should skirt NCAA rules if they don't agree with them

i'm not saying kids shouldn't feel compelled to do it, or be compelled by their peers, but the coaches shouldn't even have the opportunity to ask, and are pretty dumb to do so in a voicemail, really. i'm going to have to assume ignorance of the rule, really

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 05:33 PM
I know its the rules, and I'm sure someone on their high-horse is gonna rip me for this but...how many division 1 coaches do you think aren't aware of what players are attending "voluntary" workouts a week before spring practice begins? If the coach had been caught punishing the kid in any way, that would be a different story.

We don't get to make up our own rules. If the NCAA says that coaches are not allowed to coerce players into attending voluntary workouts, then dem's the rules.

Once you start playing the "other coaches do it" game then you can justify just about any violation.

If I was Stoops, I would tell players to invite their teammates to attend voluntary workouts as a matter of courtesy and being a good teammate. Tell them that staying in great shape is a good way to increase their chances of playing. But also make it clear that it is up to the players to decide for themselves who attends and who doesn't, and that none of the coaching staff are going to get involved one iota.

IOW, make the players feel that the workouts are voluntary and make them want to attend and have others work out with them. Build up a positive workout ethic and culture among the team, especially the team leaders. But stay the Hell out of it otherwise.

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 06:06 PM
Once you start playing the "other coaches do it" game then you can justify just about any violation.

^Hammer hits nail on the head.

We had so many posts speculating how a lazy or disgruntled player was a rat and ruining it for everyone and being a traitor to the coaches. Okay, how about this scenario: Player 'X' is 3 years in the program with 2 to go and has not panned out to be starting material. Now he is coming off knee surgery and has worked his butt of in rehab, but the odds are not good of providing meaningful depth anymore. But he's a good kid who works hard, has good grades and is a model citizen. An unscrupulous head coach who may have done a bit of over-signing may think, hey, we can push this kid during conditioning drills to get him to quit and get a scholly back. If we force him to do a bunch of high intensity sled work, we might even get that suspect knee to give out. Nah, nevermind. A coach on the hot-seat with a multi-million contract on the line in a competitive conference would never go to such extremes to win. What was I thinking.

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 06:15 PM

I don't buy that at all. I'm not advocating having tutors write term papers or slipping a few thousand dollars to star players. You're telling me if the kid is working out in the football facility, and his position coach is there, it's unreasonable for the coach to pull him aside and say "Why haven't you been at the workouts? You're a good player and we have high hopes for you, but it doesn't look good when you don't want to work out with the team."

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 06:23 PM
I don't buy that at all. I'm not advocating having tutors write term papers or slipping a few thousand dollars to star players. You're telling me if the kid is working out in the football facility, and his position coach is there, it's unreasonable for the coach to pull him aside and say "Why haven't you been at the workouts? You're a good player and we have high hopes for you, but it doesn't look good when you don't want to work out with the team."

You're seeing the trees, not the forest.

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 06:25 PM
You must be elder, please explain.

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 06:36 PM
You must be elder, please explain.

It means you're being too specific.

I take that as a general statement about any rule in the mountain of rules in the NCAA maintains, not just this example. It's the attitude of being cavalier about any rule that is dangerous. You could argue about whats "reasonable" or "what others do" in the context of any rule and make strict compliance sound silly. Just talk to any USC fan about that.

swardboy
3/6/2011, 06:43 PM
Thank you Elder BoulderSooner79. And what do you have to say Deacon Leroy Lizard?

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 06:48 PM
So what you're saying is that every rule the NCAA has should be followed to a tee, regardless of how impractical and frankly ridiculous they are? Have you seen how retarded some of the rules they put out are? And USC got pounded for violations that were 100x the size of this, so I'm not sure how that applies.

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 06:59 PM
So what you're saying is that every rule the NCAA has should be followed to a tee, regardless of how impractical and frankly ridiculous they are? Have you seen how retarded some of the rules they put out are? And USC got pounded for violations that were 100x the size of this, so I'm not sure how that applies.

I'm sure everything 'SC did seemed reasonable at the time they did them.

There nothing more I can say to someone that is fine with an ala carte approach to the rules. The only thing I'll add is that this particular rule is very clear both in terms of letter and spirit. If this one seems "retarded" to you, then many of them will and you wouldn't last long as a head coach.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 07:27 PM
^Hammer hits nail on the head.

We had so many posts speculating how a lazy or disgruntled player was a rat and ruining it for everyone and being a traitor to the coaches. Okay, how about this scenario: Player 'X' is 3 years in the program with 2 to go and has not panned out to be starting material. Now he is coming off knee surgery and has worked his butt of in rehab, but the odds are not good of providing meaningful depth anymore. But he's a good kid who works hard, has good grades and is a model citizen. An unscrupulous head coach who may have done a bit of over-signing may think, hey, we can push this kid during conditioning drills to get him to quit and get a scholly back. If we force him to do a bunch of high intensity sled work, we might even get that suspect knee to give out. Nah, nevermind. A coach on the hot-seat with a multi-million contract on the line in a competitive conference would never go to such extremes to win. What was I thinking.

http://www.helmethut.com/Features/Drken67a.jpg

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 07:29 PM
So what you're saying is that every rule the NCAA has should be followed to a tee, regardless of how impractical and frankly ridiculous they are?

Such as?

I haven't seen any ridiculous rules put out by the NCAA. It's a self-governing body, so they're not likely to draft rules that the member institutions think are ridiculous.

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 07:49 PM

You don't really mean that. I really doubt they thought it would be no big deal if they were caught buying Reggie a brand new SUV and his parents a brand new apartment. And I can guaren-fricken-tee you there isn't a shot in hell that the final consensus before doing so was anything close to "well other coaches are probably doing it."

If this one seems "retarded" to you, then many of them will and you wouldn't last long as a head coach.

This isn't one of the full blown retarded ones, but it sure as hell is an impractical one. You can keep telling yourself that every program should have no involvement whatsoever in these "voluntary" workouts, and I'll stick with the reality that somewhere probably close to 95% of the time this isn't the case.

Such as?

I haven't seen any ridiculous rules put out by the NCAA. It's a self-governing body, so they're not likely to draft rules that the member institutions think are ridiculous.

I'm no expert on it's rulebook, but the general consensus is that the NCAA and their rules are a complete joke. However, I believe the most recent bit of news I remember hearing about the NCAA was on ESPN. It was a rule they were proposing where if you celebrate/taunt excessively after a touchdown, the touchdown doesn't count. That should qualify as ridiculous right?

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 08:09 PM

You don't really mean that. I really doubt they thought it would be no big deal if they were caught buying Reggie a brand new SUV and his parents a brand new apartment.

The school didn't do those thing - Reggie and his family and a wannabe agent did. The school got in trouble for not taking enough steps to make sure it didn't happen. The biggest thing the school got dinged on is "loss of institutional control". In other words, they were cavalier in general with the rule book which is exactly my point.

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 08:45 PM
"Loss of institutional control" may have been the official prognosis, but the magnitude of the punishment was certainly more reflective of a situation where (football) people in the school were involved. It's more likely the NCAA wanted to do as little damage to one of it's golden gooses as possible. But if what we are told is true, and the NCAA came down as hard as they did when the school was barely involved, then it's just one more example for Larry the Lizard of how much of a joke the NCAA is. But like I said...

I'm not advocating having tutors write term papers or slipping a few thousand dollars to star players.
We're comparing apples to oranges. Turning a blind eye to a kid receiving thousands of dollars in benefits and asking a kid why he wasn't with the team at "voluntary" workouts are 2 different animals. Stoops has been here long enough to know what you can and can't do, and he probably would have made it crystal clear to Martinez, especially since he is relatively new here, if he shouldn't do what he did. But if I'm wrong and Stoops looks at this the same way you do, we'll probably be hearing pretty soon about some kind of punishment/suspension headed Martinez' way.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 08:52 PM
I'm no expert on it's rulebook, but the general consensus is that the NCAA and their rules are a complete joke.

The general consensus among fans, who don't understand the need for NCAA rules, is that the rules are a joke.

When asked, however, you can't provide even a single example except for the following gem:

However, I believe the most recent bit of news I remember hearing about the NCAA was on ESPN. It was a rule they were proposing where if you celebrate/taunt excessively after a touchdown, the touchdown doesn't count. That should qualify as ridiculous right?

Gee, I thought we were talking about rules governing team violations here. Are you telling me that you have to go to a rule governing actual play to back your argument? Besides, we were responding to your comment:

So what you're saying is that every rule the NCAA has should be followed to a tee, regardless of how impractical and frankly ridiculous they are?

Are you advocating that a team should ignore the rule and excessively celebrate anyway?

Sooner74
3/6/2011, 08:58 PM
I think we can all agree that some rules need modification. A lot of this happens regardless if the rule changes on paper. The refs are ultimately responsible for calling the penalties and I believe they will only call it under egregious circumstances.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 09:04 PM
"Loss of institutional control" may have been the official prognosis, but the magnitude of the punishment was certainly more reflective of a situation where (football) people in the school were involved. It's more likely the NCAA wanted to do as little damage to one of it's golden gooses as possible. But if what we are told is true, and the NCAA came down as hard as they did when the school was barely involved, then it's just one more example for Larry the Lizard of how much of a joke the NCAA is.

Again, you fail to understand the NCAA.

The law doesn't care much whether you turn yourself in or cooperate with the police, because the law has the authority to go after the truth whether the accused likes it or not. Admit to murder and help the authorities find the missing body and you're probably still going to end up serving hard time.

The NCAA is a self-governing body, however. It has no legal enforcement capabilities, so it relies heavily on trust that the schools will police themselves. Violate that trust and the NCAA will hammer you, as they should.

The NCAA's philosophy is that mistakes will happen and that no team is squeaky clean. So it places more emphasis on how the school conducts itself once allegations rise to the surface.

USC got nailed not because it was directly involved in Reggie Bush' payments, but because it took little action to keep Reggie from receiving those payments and tried to stymie the NCAA's efforts at uncovering the truth. Their overall attitude (as exemplified by their arrogant AD) didn't help.

OU got nailed initially for the Bomar dealio, but the NCAA removed most of the sanctions because in its appeal the school stressed its cooperation with investigators. OU turned itself in and provided the information the NCAA requested.

Alabama had a nasty problem recently that should have got it placed on severe probation. But Alabama cooperated very well with the NCAA and received a relatively light sentence.

Because the player and school in Workout-Gate behaved as expected, OU will probably not get much of a penalty out of this. The actions advocated by many in here, however, would have really pissed off the NCAA. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

We're comparing apples to oranges. Turning a blind eye to a kid receiving thousands of dollars in benefits and asking a kid why he wasn't with the team at "voluntary" workouts are 2 different animals. Stoops has been here long enough to know what you can and can't do, and he probably would have made it crystal clear to Martinez, especially since he is relatively new here, if he shouldn't do what he did.

Then why did this happen?

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 09:19 PM
But if what we are told is true, and the NCAA came down as hard as they did when the school was barely involved, then it's just one more example for Larry the Lizard of how much of a joke the NCAA is.

Nowhere did I say USC was barely involved. I just said USC did not do all the Reggie Bush headline stuff such as the rental house or other payments. "Loss of institutional control" is a serious blanket charge that says the program from the AD down to the water boy ignores rules on multiple occasions, even the ones you think are retarded. Remember, the infractions committee used that same term about OU after the Bomar situation came out and we appealed, so don't think it couldn't happen here. That's when we hired a compliance director as part of our promise to be more vigilant. If we hired that position as just a facade to placate the NCAA and go back to business as usual, I'll have no sympathy when we get nailed. I have too much respect for Stoops to believe that.

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 09:51 PM
The general consensus among fans, who don't understand the need for NCAA rules, is that the rules are a joke.

I'm sure not just fans, but plenty of analysts, ex-coaches, current coaches, administrative people, etc. think, know rather, that there are a plethora of silly and useless NCAA rules.

You can't provide even a single example except for the following

Gee, I thought we were talking about rules governing team violations here. Are you telling me that you have to go to a rule governing actual play to back your argument?

Cool bro, because it's not like I said "I'm not an expert on the rule book" (obviously insuiating I didn't have a rule off the top of my head), and it's not like I was clearly using their most recent appearance in the news (the only thing I could pull off the top of my head) as an example to illustrate just how super silly they can be.

Are you advocating that a team should ignore the rule and excessively celebrate anyway?

Are you advocating that 6 points should be taken off the board because of anything that happens after the play? Maybe you should learn more about the game of football.

I think we can all agree that some rules need modification. A lot of this happens regardless if the rule changes on paper. The refs are ultimately responsible for calling the penalties and I believe they will only call it under egregious circumstances.

This guy gets it.

USC got nailed not because it was directly involved in Reggie Bush' payments, but because it took little action to keep Reggie from receiving those payments and tried to stymie the NCAA's efforts at uncovering the truth. Their overall attitude (as exemplified by their arrogant AD) didn't help.

This I never heard, and if you have some evidence of that I'd love to see it. USC is one of the few real golden gooses (money) in college football. So if you want to believe as your told, that such a severe punishment was handed out because the football program didn't have successful preventative action skills, fine. I find it more likely they wanted to paint USC as little the villain as possible, but still wanted to make their presence felt (remember all this happened as conference re-alignment was going on and all that whispering about not needing the NCAA?) and knew enough to do so.

Then why did this happen?

I guess I'll spell it out for you. Probably because Stoops never bothered to make sure it didn't happen. But like I said, if that's not the case then we should be hearing about some sort of disciplinary action for Martinez any time soon.

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 10:03 PM
Nowhere did I say USC was barely involved. I just said USC did not do all the Reggie Bush headline stuff such as the rental house or other payments. "Loss of institutional control" is a serious blanket charge that says the program from the AD down to the water boy ignores rules on multiple occasions, even the ones you think are retarded. Remember, the infractions committee used that same term about OU after the Bomar situation came out and we appealed, so don't think it couldn't happen here. That's when we hired a compliance director as part of our promise to be more vigilant. If we hired that position as just a facade to placate the NCAA and go back to business as usual, I'll have no sympathy when we get nailed. I have too much respect for Stoops to believe that.

But again, the Bomar situation was vastly more serious. All I'm saying is I doubt Stoops breaks his back over a silly little rule that says you can't talk to players about voluntary workouts. How many times a day do you think these guys pass each other in the football facilities?

Sooner74
3/6/2011, 10:24 PM
But again, the Bomar situation was vastly more serious. All I'm saying is I doubt Stoops breaks his back over a silly little rule that says you can't talk to players about voluntary workouts. How many times a day do you think these guys pass each other in the football facilities?

I agree. There are essentially and infinite number of rules that are in the NCAA rulebook. I can with 99% accuracy say that the staff doesn't know all the rules. The compliance department is made to know the rules. I am sure BOB and the coaches do training every year up on the rules, but I don't think you can expect them to follow every rule to a T. The secondary violations exist for this reason. They know that it isn't purposeful, but needs to be reprimanded.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 10:51 PM
I'm sure not just fans, but plenty of analysts, ex-coaches, current coaches, administrative people, etc. think, know rather, that there are a plethora of silly and useless NCAA rules.

You should be able to cite at least one. I mean, excessive celebration? C'mon. We're talking about rules violations here, not the rules of play.

FTR, I cannot think of any NCAA rule that I consider silly. They all have a purpose. It's a shame the NCAA has to draft them. But when your organization comprises members that spend all night dreaming up ways to skirt the rules, it tends to produce a fat rule book.

Why do we have a rule regarding voluntary team workouts? Because of coaches like DKR. Not only do coaches overwork athletes to win, but some do it to run players off. Without protection from the NCAA, the DKRs of the world will run players to serious injury. It's happened before. Read Meat on the Hoof about Texas' program if you don't believe me.

So the NCAA puts in a rule that limits team practices. Naturally it cannot prevent players from getting together on their own, so it put in place very reasonable restrictions on what coaches can do...

... and then coaches violate the rule.

This I never heard, and if you have some evidence of that I'd love to see it.

One of the assistant coaches (RB coach McNair) lied to investigators, which the NCAA cited. (USC fans contend otherwise, but in the eyes of the NCAA that means little.)

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 10:54 PM
I agree. There are essentially and infinite number of rules that are in the NCAA rulebook. I can with 99% accuracy say that the staff doesn't know all the rules. The compliance department is made to know the rules. I am sure BOB and the coaches do training every year up on the rules, but I don't think you can expect them to follow every rule to a T. The secondary violations exist for this reason. They know that it isn't purposeful, but needs to be reprimanded.

If there is one rule coaches know it's the one about voluntary practices. A coach would have to be incredibly ignorant of NCAA rules to not know that you cannot monitor voluntary workouts.

Hell, even *I* knew that!

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 11:04 PM

That's the exact issue that made this incident *potentially* a problem. This was not a mistake or an accident - it was purposeful. Jersey is trying to down play the rules by claiming there are too many or they are nonsensical. I'm not a lawyer, but I find the best way to view rules (or laws) is to look at the spirit or intention. The actual details of the wording can come across obscure because the language is intended to be complete and cover a broad set of cases. And many of the clauses are there because some party attempted to skirt them, so they get more baroque over time. It is the cheaters that make them the way they are.

The spirit of the rules that limit coach/athlete interactions is very simple and necessary. It says a team is not allowed to gain an advantage by demanding more time from the athlete. The details spell out what the NCAA deems adequate time and it varies depending on the time of year. It's a level playing field rule. If these did not exist, the coaches would have the players dedicated to football 24x7 and year round. It would happen over night because each coaching staff would be paranoid of what their rival coaching staffs are doing. This is not one of your (jersey) retarded rules. In this case, our coaches were coercing a player to sign a workout log for a voluntary program - that is not a mistake or over-sight, but a blatant violation. And the NCAA stepped in a said go home for a week. I suspect repeated violations would draw increasing penalties. The worst thing that could happen is for the NCAA to lose its trust that we can monitor our own program, so these secondary violation can add up to big problems.

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 11:04 PM
You should be able to cite at least one.

Universities may not pay athletes a salary for the services they provide :D ;) :D

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2011, 11:25 PM
Universities may not pay athletes a salary for the services they provide :D ;) :D

I should be paid as a fan as well. It s'not fair!

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 11:30 PM
^You don't do anything as a fan. Nobody watches you. And I still don't see anything wrong with a little extra "encouragement" :D I understand these rules are put in place so this doesn't turn into semi-professional football, but you can't deny the popularity/profitability of the sport. Would it really be so wrong to let the coaches have say 2 hours per day with the players?

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2011, 11:56 PM
^You don't do anything as a fan. Nobody watches you. And I still don't see anything wrong with a little extra "encouragement" :D I understand these rules are put in place so this doesn't turn into semi-professional football, but you can't deny the popularity/profitability of the sport. Would it really be so wrong to let the coaches have say 2 hours per day with the players?

Not if the rules said so :) But if 2 hours is okay, could we stretch it 3 and not tell anyone? Where's the harm?

They get lots more time than that during spring ball, fall camp, during the season and bowl preparation (unless they go 5-7). I for one am very proud of players like Sam Bradford who are in the program for 4 years and actually leave with a degree in a difficult major. If the coaches were not given limits, you could probably count the number of players that graduate with the fingers on your left foot. In fact, if I were a win-at-all-cost coach and I heard a player was taking a full class load and doing well, I would think they had too much free time outside of football. You'll see other threads about the value of a full ride scholarship and subsequent degree for these player. But that would be a total joke if there were no rules to limit athletics because no human could possibly earn a real degree and play ball.

jersey sooner
3/7/2011, 12:00 AM
Never said I don't want any rules.

Edit: limits I should say

BoulderSooner79
3/7/2011, 12:31 AM
These limits are also an aid to the coaches. They build their program around it and don't have to worry about what the competition is doing because they have the same limits. Increase some limit by 2 hours and you increase what your competition can do, so you haven't gained anything. You may have pushed some player who is barely making grades over the edge.

Leroy Lizard
3/7/2011, 02:19 AM
^You don't do anything as a fan. Nobody watches you.

Everyone watches me. People have told me they don't, but I know they do.

And I still don't see anything wrong with a little extra "encouragement" :D I understand these rules are put in place so this doesn't turn into semi-professional football, but you can't deny the popularity/profitability of the sport. Would it really be so wrong to let the coaches have say 2 hours per day with the players?

They do. This voluntary practice extends beyond the normal practice time they are alloted. That is why they have the logs -- so that the NCAA knows that the players are not practicing beyond the time they are already given.

And in two hours a student-athlete could have completed one or two homework assignments. So yeah, there can be a case made that there is something wrong with letting coaches have two hours per day.

Sooner74
3/7/2011, 02:46 AM
This rule is well known by fans and coaches alike. That is why it was unfathomable something like this could happen. I was just saying there are many rules that are arbitrary that many coaches probably don't know.

boomermagic
3/7/2011, 09:59 AM
Not if the rules said so :) But if 2 hours is okay, could we stretch it 3 and not tell anyone? Where's the harm?

They get lots more time than that during spring ball, fall camp, during the season and bowl preparation (unless they go 5-7). I for one am very proud of players like Sam Bradford who are in the program for 4 years and actually leave with a degree in a difficult major. If the coaches were not given limits, you could probably count the number of players that graduate with the fingers on your left foot. In fact, if I were a win-at-all-cost coach and I heard a player was taking a full class load and doing well, I would think they had too much free time outside of football. You'll see other threads about the value of a full ride scholarship and subsequent degree for these player. But that would be a total joke if there were no rules to limit athletics because no human could possibly earn a real degree and play ball.

I couldn't count.. I don't have any FINGERS on my left foot..:D

BoulderSooner79
3/7/2011, 10:54 AM
I couldn't count.. I don't have any FINGERS on my left foot..:D

I was hoping that was the case for most of us, but I sense that a few posters may have opposing thumbs on those feet.

MamaMia
3/7/2011, 11:04 PM

Why should we believe anything coming from a lousy snitch? :P

JLEW1818
3/7/2011, 11:08 PM
Bomar snitched

OUmillenium
3/8/2011, 09:42 AM
Oops, thought we were getting a triple transfer from the thread title

SoonerOX
3/9/2011, 01:26 AM
I hate rats...I don't care who they are. Stinkin' rats.

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2011, 01:48 AM
I hate rats...I don't care who they are. Stinkin' rats.

Then you'd better hope Bob Stoops never informs his compliance director of any infractions.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/9/2011, 09:40 AM
Then you'd better hope Bob Stoops never informs his compliance director of any infractions.

What are you talking about? OU doesn't even have a Compliance Dept. to begin with. :rolleyes: :D