PDA

View Full Version : Feb New Vehicle Sales

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 08:11 AM
Feb was the best month in forever...domestic sales back to pre recession levels...imports still sucking hind tit...I hope gas prices don't kill future sales...

SAAR data...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/totalvehiclesales13.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/importvehiclesales13.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/domesticautosales13.jpg

diverdog
3/6/2011, 06:29 AM
Feb was the best month in forever...domestic sales back to pre recession levels...imports still sucking hind tit...I hope gas prices don't kill future sales...

SAAR data...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/totalvehiclesales13.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/importvehiclesales13.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/domesticautosales13.jpg

Phil I wonder if the new push for flex fuel cars will help us weather higher oil prices this time around.

pphilfran
3/6/2011, 07:29 AM
Phil I wonder if the new push for flex fuel cars will help us weather higher oil prices this time around.

I doubt it...not enough flex vehicles out there...or enough fueling stations...

I think we are getting close to the tipping point...we will probably see an average price of 3.50 for the past week...it will take crude at 120 to get gas a 4 bucks...and 4 bucks a gallon will put a cramp in our style...

I hope it doesn't happen...but with the ME and Africa acting like flash paper I have my concerns...

pphilfran
3/6/2011, 07:32 AM
DD, look at those domestic truck sales...they are the reason Detroit is showing a profit...high gas prices will lower sales of trucks...I hope the Big 3 keep enough cash on hand to weather a possible storm...

diverdog
3/7/2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah you are right. I heard Obama is thinking about opening up the national reserve to hold down oil prices.

sappstuf
3/7/2011, 11:18 PM
Yeah you are right. I heard Obama is thinking about opening up the national reserve to hold down oil prices.

Which is a mistake. There no shortage of oil. Libya represents about 1.5% of oil which Saudia Arabia has already said they would cover. What happens if Saudia Arabia goes down 6 months from now and there is a TRUE shortage? We would be f&*(ed. Too much turmoil in the ME to play that card this early.

But at least he has started issuing new permits for deepwater wells... Well.. er.. He has issued one.. In 314 days..

I'm sure he has made other moves to increase domestic production. Let's look at the ways..

First, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar canceled 77 leases for oil and gas drilling in Utah in his first month in office.

Then last summer, President Obama needlessly instituted not one but two outright drilling bans in the Gulf of Mexico. The Energy Information Administration estimates that President Obama’s offshore drilling ban will cut domestic offshore oil production by 13 percent this year.

Last fall, Interior Secretary Salazar announced that the eastern Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic coast, and the Pacific coast will not be developed, effectively banning drilling in those areas for the next seven years. At least 19 billion barrels of easily recoverable oil lie off the currently restricted Pacific and Atlantic coasts and the eastern Gulf of Mexico.

Oh well.. C'est la vie.

By the way.. Good to see you DD.

AlboSooner
3/7/2011, 11:37 PM
what a rebound for domestic cars. of course they are making good cars now. no more pontiac azteca. whoever gave the go ahead to the azteca needs to be expelled to canada.
http://www.e-automotives-review.info/images/pontiac-aztek.jpg

picasso
3/7/2011, 11:59 PM
I hope oil prices continue to soar.

soonerinkaty
3/8/2011, 12:02 AM
But I do miss Pontiac :(

texaspokieokie
3/8/2011, 08:44 AM

me too !!!

one of my favorite cars to have owned was a 67 grand prix !!!
neat car.
350 hp

cantwait48
3/8/2011, 10:43 AM
that m&m superbowl commercial is paying off

soonercoop1
3/8/2011, 07:22 PM

Not enough oil to make a big difference...

NickDangerThirdEye
3/8/2011, 11:02 PM
Which is a mistake. There no shortage of oil. Libya represents about 1.5% of oil which Saudia Arabia has already said they would cover. What happens if Saudia Arabia goes down 6 months from now and there is a TRUE shortage? We would be f&*(ed. Too much turmoil in the ME to play that card this early.

But at least he has started issuing new permits for deepwater wells... Well.. er.. He has issued one.. In 314 days..

I'm sure he has made other moves to increase domestic production. Let's look at the ways..

Oh well.. C'est la vie.

By the way.. Good to see you DD.

As usual, you are dead on, sappstuf. :)

Hey, anyone know when the last oil refinery, from which we get our gasoline, was built? Anyone know how many more people there are in this country since the last time a refinery was built?

NickDangerThirdEye
3/8/2011, 11:03 PM
Hey, pphilfran - did you see the article about how these electric cars don't work worth a **** in the winter?

sappstuf
3/9/2011, 12:16 AM
As usual, you are dead on, sappstuf. :)

Hey, anyone know when the last oil refinery, from which we get our gasoline, was built? Anyone know how many more people there are in this country since the last time a refinery was built?

Well my English wasn't spot on... Good grief.

It's nice to see you Nick.

MR2-Sooner86
3/9/2011, 01:13 AM

Why? I never saw anything special from them.

The Firebird was a Chevy Camaro and GM was smart not to bring it back.
The Solstice was a Saturn Sky with less power.
The GTO was a Grand Am with a Corvette driveline.
The G8 was a watered-down GTO unless it's the GXP and that was close to the Corvette's price range.
The G6 was a Chevy Malibu.
The G5 was a Chevy Cobalt.
The G3 was a Chevy Aveo.
The Grand Am was a Malibu.

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 09:22 AM
Why? I never saw anything special from them.

The Firebird was a Chevy Camaro and GM was smart not to bring it back.
The Solstice was a Saturn Sky with less power.
The GTO was a Grand Am with a Corvette driveline.
The G8 was a watered-down GTO unless it's the GXP and that was close to the Corvette's price range.
The G6 was a Chevy Malibu.
The G5 was a Chevy Cobalt.
The G3 was a Chevy Aveo.
The Grand Am was a Malibu.

Pontiac made some great cars back in the 60s, until the insurance companies & federally mandated removal of leaded gasoline screwed thing up.

JMHO

from mid 50s thru 1972, Pontiacs were nice.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 09:49 AM
Pontiac made some great cars back in the 60s, until the insurance companies & federally mandated removal of leaded gasoline screwed thing up.

JMHO

from mid 50s thru 1972, Pontiacs were nice.

I think it was in 1971 or 1972 was when GM started using lower compression ratio engines to meet emission standards...the horsepower wars were over for the next decade or so...

An early Tri Power Goat was always high on my wants list...

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 09:54 AM
I think it was in 1971 or 1972 was when GM started using lower compression ratio engines to meet emission standards...the horsepower wars were over for the next decade or so...

An early Tri Power Goat was always high on my wants list...

yep, in 1971, nearly all engines had lower comp. ratio. really killed HP.

to me, high comp. ratio is like free HP. or mainly torque.

GTOs very desireable cars. there were so many, in 60s.

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 09:55 AM
good thing about computers, can now have higher CR even with crappy unleaded.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:00 AM
I was a Ford guy but I liked some other brands...

The Tri Power
AAR 'Cuda
Chevelle 396 with 375 hp backed up by a close ratio Rock Crusher...

I settled for a 67 Mustang 289 with alum intake, Holley, and headers..
Then a Datsun 510 set up like an SCAA car..it was a blast to drive...
Then a 240z

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 10:43 AM
i've mostly been a GM guy. i've had a few Fords & like them.

Had a 78 T-bird, an Explorer & 3 Expeditions. wish i still had the last Exped.

Never had a foreign car.

i know they're good, but i'm stubborn.

lived in CA during most of the 60s & got to see the hottest cars @ drag strips. that was fun.

would like to have a "Z" car, but would want it to be old enough to have chrome bumpers (i'm very old)

i don't think i have a favorite "muscle car", but like the Ford (strictly drag cars) Thunderbolts.

Had friends in Tulsa that ran a "top fuel" dragster. that was fun.

AlboSooner
3/9/2011, 10:49 AM
http://www.dpccars.com/photos/12-22-07-01-Chevy-Corvette-ZR1.jpg

My favorite GM car (minus the chrome wheels)

http://www.fastestlaps.com/photos/Ford_GT_485d2f7397bd3.jpg

my favorite Ford car. the Gt looks soooo good.

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 10:53 AM
i prefer the chrome wheels.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 10:57 AM
i've mostly been a GM guy. i've had a few Fords & like them.

Had a 78 T-bird, an Explorer & 3 Expeditions. wish i still had the last Exped.

Never had a foreign car.

i know they're good, but i'm stubborn.

lived in CA during most of the 60s & got to see the hottest cars @ drag strips. that was fun.

would like to have a "Z" car, but would want it to be old enough to have chrome bumpers (i'm very old)

i don't think i have a favorite "muscle car", but like the Ford (strictly drag cars) Thunderbolts.

Had friends in Tulsa that ran a "top fuel" dragster. that was fun.

Sox and Martin ruled...

NormanPride
3/9/2011, 11:00 AM
I miss whitewalled tires.

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 04:46 PM
Sox and Martin ruled...

i was mostly always interested in "top fuel", "top gas (dragsters) & the
"gas coupe/sedan" classes, the latter 2 of which were done away with,
a long time ago.

loved to watch guys like "stone, woods & cook" & "big john mazmanian".

drag were much more interesting back in those days.

Don't forget (the late) Dyno Don Nicholson.

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 04:47 PM
I miss whitewalled tires.
i too miss whitewalls, but i guess you're just kiddin.

pphilfran
3/9/2011, 04:52 PM
i was mostly always interested in "top fuel", "top gas (dragsters) & the
"gas coupe/sedan" classes, the latter 2 of which were done away with,
a long time ago.

loved to watch guys like "stone, woods & cook" & "big john mazmanian".

drag were much more interesting back in those days.

Don't forget (the late) Dyno Don Nicholson.

If you talk about Top Fuel you must include Big Daddy Don Garlits...

I had a signed pic of Nicholson and Sox pulling the wheels off the line...when I left Goodyear I gave it to a subordinate that always did a great job...

texaspokieokie
3/9/2011, 05:06 PM
If you talk about Top Fuel you must include Big Daddy Don Garlits...

I had a signed pic of Nicholson and Sox pulling the wheels off the line...when I left Goodyear I gave it to a subordinate that always did a great job...
Big Dad & don "Snake" prudhomme. all the top names in all classes raced in CA.

I went to the Bakersfield meet in early spring of 65. Garlits won & in hindsight, i feel it was one of the greatest meets of all time. Qualified 64 (!!!!!!) top fuel cars & then ran the next 16 cars (not qualified) for a smaller purse.

Garlits had 3 cars, his & cars driven by Marvin Schwartz & Connie Swingle.
i could go on for a while, but all i will say is that the Schwartz car & Garlits ran for top eleminator. Big Daddy ,of cousre, won.