PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...The Second Greatest American is inaugurated

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 06:57 AM
March 4, 1861: Lincoln inaugurated

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5609/inaugabrahamlincolnfirs.jpg

150 years ago today, Abraham Lincoln, the Second Greatest American, becomes the 16th president of the United States. Although he extended an olive branch to the South, he also made it clear that he intended to enforce federal laws in the seceded states.

Since Lincoln's election in November, seven states had left the Union. Worried that the election of a Republican would threaten their rights to keep slaves, the lower South seceded and formed the Confederate States of America.

In fairness to these folks, we must remember their economies relied on cotton, an intensely labor-intensive cash crop, and it was simply impossible to profitably raise, harvest and market the stuff in an era before mechanized agriculture without millions of unpaid human hands to do the work.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6030/inaughomerlincolninaugu.jpg

In the process of the secessions, some of those states had seized federal properties such as armories and forts. By the time Lincoln arrived in Washington for his inauguration, the threat of war hung heavy in the air. Lincoln took a cautious approach in his remarks, and he made no specific threats against the southern states.

As a result, he had some flexibility in trying to keep the states of the upper South--North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, and Delaware--in the Union.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3995/inaugjbcivillincoln21e.jpg

Ultimately, Virginia, Tennessee, and Arkansas would join their southern sisters in secession, but it's worth noting that Tennessee would be restored to federal control within a year of its secession, Arkansas was split evenly between pro-US and pro-rebel factions, and Virginia itself would split when non-slaveholding highlanders in western Virginia would secede from the Old Dominion and form the loyal state of West Virginia.

In his address, Lincoln promised not to interfere with the institution of slavery where it existed, and he pledged to suspend the activities of the federal government temporarily in areas of hostility. However, he also took a firm stance against secession and the seizure of federal property. The government, insisted Lincoln, would "hold, occupy, and possess" its property and collect its taxes. He closed his remarks with an eloquent reminder of the nation's common heritage:

"In your hand, my fellow countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The government will not assail you. You can have no conflict without being yourselves the aggressors. You have no oath in Heaven to destroy the government, while I shall have the most solemn one to "preserve, protect, and defend" it...We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearthstone, all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Six weeks later, the Confederates fired on federal property called Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina, and "the ball was opened."

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8692/inauglincolninaguration.jpg
Bible Lincoln used during his first inauguration. President Obama used it as well.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2623/insane7zo.jpg

SicEmBaylor
3/4/2011, 08:53 AM
Greatest tyrant to ever occupy the White House.

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 03:00 PM
Greatest tyrant to ever occupy the White House.

Wrong again. That would be FDR for 500 Alex.

SicEmBaylor
3/4/2011, 03:09 PM
Wrong again. That would be FDR for 500 Alex.

FDR would never have been able to exercise that degree of Federal power if Lincoln hadn't laid the foundation for consolidating Federal power.

Lincoln made FDR possible.

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 03:16 PM
http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4635745/Oh-boy-Here-we-go.jpg

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 03:54 PM
The whole argument encapsulated in The Federalist Papers had been going on for 75 years. It was time for it to be over. Lincoln salvaged by far the best possible solution out of a multitude of really bad options.
And then he blunted a lot of the stupid retributive morons in the North and had the incredible presence of mind to get assasinated so that those in the South could have a conveniently dead president to hate.
The guy was a gamer, no doubt about it.

SicEmBaylor
3/4/2011, 04:51 PM
The whole argument encapsulated in The Federalist Papers had been going on for 75 years. It was time for it to be over. Lincoln salvaged by far the best possible solution out of a multitude of really bad options.
And then he blunted a lot of the stupid retributive morons in the North and had the incredible presence of mind to get assasinated so that those in the South could have a conveniently dead president to hate.
The guy was a gamer, no doubt about it.

He was a war mongering tyrant responsible for an untold number of atrocities and war crimes. He should have swung from the gallows like the war criminals at Nuremberg. His "legacy" should never ever be forgotten, and it should never be over.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/4/2011, 05:34 PM
If'n you boys want to debate whether Lincoln was a tyrant or hero, why don't you bring up one of the 500 other threads about this same topic?

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 05:38 PM
Cool, I'll drop the jihadi pose.

picasso
3/4/2011, 05:40 PM
He was a war mongering tyrant responsible for an untold number of atrocities and war crimes. He should have swung from the gallows like the war criminals at Nuremberg. His "legacy" should never ever be forgotten, and it should never be over.

He killed lots of injuns but he saved some too, at Mankato.

Who is your greatest American Homey? My vote goes for Crazy Horse.

yermom
3/4/2011, 05:46 PM
i just assumed me meant Obama

yankee
3/4/2011, 05:56 PM
Lincoln is a great American hero. God bless him. One of the best presidents this country has ever or will ever see.

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 07:32 PM
He killed lots of injuns but he saved some too, at Mankato.

Who is your greatest American Homey? My vote goes for Crazy Horse.

I gotta go with Geo. Washington.

He could have set himself up as Emperor of America. In fact, his officers were ready to do it for him at the close of the Revolution because of the nimcompoops in Congress who couldn't get anything done because they were too busy p1ssing on and about each other.

But he said no.

soonerscuba
3/4/2011, 07:39 PM
FDR or Lincoln, either way you slice it, they killed a ****load of racists.
;) kinda

TitoMorelli
3/4/2011, 08:45 PM

He could have set himself up as Emperor of America. In fact, his officers were ready to do it for him at the close of the Revolution because of the nimcompoops in Congress who couldn't get anything done because they were too busy p1ssing on and about each other.

But he said no.

+1

C&CDean
3/4/2011, 09:22 PM
When Baberaham Lincoln becomes the "2nd greatest American" in the history of America is the day I turn gay. I know at least 20 Americans, right this minute, who were/are "greater" Americans than that murderous SOB.

StoopTroup
3/4/2011, 09:48 PM
I think the lead in those candles as a kid made him a killer.

I also think Sarah Palin is a Great American for helping Obama get into the White House and then lead a group of Republican Radicals into putting an end to one of the two Parties we have left. Maybe Nader can actually find a guy to start a new Party that actually knows where it's headed. :D

TUSooner
3/4/2011, 09:50 PM

SicEm, you dear old bean, you live in the wishful La-La land of ideology and theory, but your fervent imaginings have no place in a world where real people abide and suffer.

TUSooner
3/4/2011, 09:51 PM
When Baberaham Lincoln becomes the "2nd greatest American" in the history of America is the day I turn gay. I know at least 20 Americans, right this minute, who were/are "greater" Americans than that murderous SOB.

-1 for murderous SOB

TUSooner
3/4/2011, 09:52 PM

But he said no.

YES YES YES

TUSooner
3/4/2011, 09:52 PM
If'n you boys want to debate whether Lincoln was a tyrant or hero, why don't you bring up one of the 500 other threads about this same topic?

+1 :D

TUSooner
3/4/2011, 09:54 PM
FDR would never have been able to exercise that degree of Federal power if Lincoln hadn't laid the foundation for consolidating Federal power.

Lincoln made the continental nation and world power known as the USA possible.
fixt

StoopTroup
3/4/2011, 09:55 PM
OhOh...I hate to see what I score...LMAO

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 10:13 PM
Hey Sic,

This arta set your Slaveocrat blood to boiling. All two pints of it. This photo depicts myself and my fellow military veterans, Comrades Neil and David, portraying officers of the 54 Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry on Morris Island SC, on the very anniversary, and on the same sand, where that famed regiment charged to glory in 1863 to help end Slaveocrat treason. It was 100 degrees the day we did this and the humidity was off the scale.

And for the record, David and Neil are both native South Carolinians.

May God Bless Father Abraham, and the Blessed Union that he saved. And may God send confusion and consign to Perdition her treasonous slaveocrat enemies. Amen.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/morrisn26404171_30414452_9544.jpg

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 10:16 PM
SicEm, you dear old bean, you live in the wishful La-La land of ideology and theory, but your fervent imaginings have no place in a world where real people abide and suffer.

You speak the truth, Ruth.

StoopTroup
3/4/2011, 10:17 PM
That a sweet hat Homey.

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 10:23 PM
That a sweet hat Homey.

dang skippy.

MR2-Sooner86
3/4/2011, 10:32 PM
He did do things that make the Patriot Act seem light in comparison. For instance he did arrest journalist and folks in D.C. who he suspected of being Confederate sympathizers without any reason other than suspecting they were Confederate sympathizers and threw away the key without a trail or anything. He said it was to help "protect the Union" and not cause any "further divides."

You can take that and judge it however you want. I've found it funny that in the past people who found that completely alright were also against us locking up Japanese civilians during WW2.

C&CDean
3/4/2011, 10:32 PM
Who's the fag on the left?

StoopTroup
3/4/2011, 10:47 PM
The 2nd dude looks like a Family Member.

StoopTroup
3/4/2011, 10:48 PM

Maybe Ben or Jerry? :D

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 11:01 PM

POST REPORTED. PERSONAL ATTACK!!11!RED CARD11111!!!!!!!.

King Crimson
3/5/2011, 07:21 AM
at least i'm not drunk enough to post in this thread.

about the myth of Reagan, jean shorts, people who bought the Outfield cassette, and camaro t-tops.

when "they" made the presidents more attractive on the actual money....that's how you know ideology is real.

it's not enough to have real historical presidents....you need "good-looking", Miami Vice presidents. who aren't balding. young, vigorous...like the Republic itself.

it's bull****.

texaspokieokie
3/5/2011, 09:07 AM
i'd prefer Jefferson for 2nd greatest.

SicEmBaylor
3/5/2011, 09:11 AM
i'd prefer Jefferson for 2nd greatest.

This.

SicEmBaylor
3/5/2011, 08:50 PM
"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races 0 that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white races."

-Lincoln (4th Debate with Stephen Douglas at Charleston, IL --Sep. 18, 1858

SicEmBaylor
3/5/2011, 08:53 PM
"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own, of so many of the territory as they inhabit."

-Lincoln, Jan. 12, 1848

TitoMorelli
3/5/2011, 08:58 PM
Geg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Billy Sims, Adrian Peterson, the Selmon's, Keith Jackson, Gerald McCoy, Tommie Harris, and countless other great Oklahoma Sooners had the opportunity to don the Crimson and Cream instead of being born on some plantation down in SEC territory. I'd think that's enough for any real Sooner to praise Abe and forget any of his shortcomings.;)

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/6/2011, 03:28 AM
Hey Sic,

This arta set your Slaveocrat blood to boiling. All two pints of it. This photo depicts myself and my fellow military veterans, Comrades Neil and David, portraying officers of the 54 Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry on Morris Island SC, on the very anniversary, and on the same sand, where that famed regiment charged to glory in 1863 to help end Slaveocrat treason. It was 100 degrees the day we did this and the humidity was off the scale.

And for the record, David and Neil are both native South Carolinians.

May God Bless Father Abraham, and the Blessed Union that he saved. And may God send confusion and consign to Perdition her treasonous slaveocrat enemies. Amen.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/morrisn26404171_30414452_9544.jpg
Well David and Neil are traitors dressing up in that ****

Okla-homey
3/6/2011, 09:18 AM
"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own, of so many of the territory as they inhabit."

-Lincoln, Jan. 12, 1848

"It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us葉hat from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion葉hat we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain葉hat this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom預nd that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

- Lincoln, Nov. 18, 1863

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 10:39 AM
Checkmate?

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2011, 11:47 AM
"It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us葉hat from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion葉hat we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain葉hat this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom預nd that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

- Lincoln, Nov. 18, 1863

Ah, so basically he said what he really thinks when he didn't have a Presidential campaign to worry about and then changed his tune when people actually exercised the most basic American freedom that he championed in his earlier statement. He was clearly just like every other politician that changes his views to fit the moment. He was trying to drum up more support for a fairly unpopular war after a big Union victory.

Every statement that Lincoln made about keeping the Union together and freeing the slaves is positively full of hypocrisy. It's hard to stand by earlier statements about the right of a people to cast aside and form a government of their choosing when you wage an illegal war against a people who were guilty only of exercising that very right.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 11:52 AM
Somehow....no matter what you think he did....America survived and your Mother was able to give birth to you. If Lincoln really had it in for your way of life....wouldn't he have made sure you wouldn't be around to agitate future geniuses like himself?

Okla-homey
3/6/2011, 03:23 PM
Ah, so basically he said what he really thinks when he didn't have a Presidential campaign to worry about and then changed his tune when people actually exercised the most basic American freedom that he championed in his earlier statement. He was clearly just like every other politician that changes his views to fit the moment. He was trying to drum up more support for a fairly unpopular war after a big Union victory.

Every statement that Lincoln made about keeping the Union together and freeing the slaves is positively full of hypocrisy. It's hard to stand by earlier statements about the right of a people to cast aside and form a government of their choosing when you wage an illegal war against a people who were guilty only of exercising that very right.

If you took the time read anything about the man not written by a former Confederate (or neo-confederate) you would see that the views Lincoln held concerning the constitutionality of involuntary servitude changed in the interval spanning two decades beteen the late 1840's and the mid-1860's. The man, like Jefferson Davis, was born in Kentucky, a slave state. Thus, he was reared at an early age among people that believed human chattel slavery was a-ok. But unlike many folks today, his views evolved based on his own enquiry into the matter and careful reconsideration of his earlier positions. Call it politically expedient flip-flopping if you want, but to do so in Lincoln's case is a gross underestimation of his powerful intellect.

It is true Lincoln said on the eve of the war that if he could save the Union by preserving slavery, or save the Union by ending slavery, he would do either. It is indisputable that he ultimately went with the latter course. It is also indisputable that America is better for it. To argue otherwise is positvely foolish.

Hold your nose sometime and read Gore Vidal's "Lincoln", or Doris Kearn Goodwin's "Team of Rivals", or Geoffrey Perret's "Lincoln's War." Then we'll talk.

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 03:29 PM
How many days will we need to wait?