PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 tournament KC Info FAQ

KCPowercat
3/3/2011, 11:30 PM
Well it's time for the tournament in Kansas City and again KC is excited to have all the teams. Below are some helpful hints from questions I get every year. Sorry for the length, trying to get most topics covered. We have volunteers that know KC well at many downtown hotels as well as the Sprint Center. They are staffed with maps and info so stop by and get suggestions. We love to give suggestions. Here are some FAQs that we tend to be asked. I hope this helps everyone traveling to KC. To let you know, I'm in my 30’s living downtown, love dining out and
barhopping. So take that into account as you read my suggestions and use accordingly. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or follow me on twitter @downtownkc where I plan to give updates during the tournament and can answer any questions when you are here. I post this on about every Big 12 forum...so might see it if you visit other sites. Just hoping to spread a lot of info to a lot of fans. I'll be happy to answer any other questions people have.

- Events -There are free concerts Wed and Thurs nights after the games (P&L is 21+ after 9pm
FYI). Also the Big 12 will have their normal fan fest setup on Grand between the Sprint Center
and P&L district all week.

- Weather -Bring about everything. Big 12 week can be 30 degrees to 70 degrees. Looks like it will be wet this year.

- Hotels -Many are pretty busy by now but if you want to walk, the Marriott, Crowne Plaza,
Hotel Phillips, Hotel President, Holiday Inn Aladdin are all walkable. Sheraton (former Hyatt)
and Westin are downtown but probably not walkable for most. Also many good hotels on the
Plaza including Marriott, Courtyard, Sheraton, Residence Inn, and Intercontinential. If you stay
in the burbs, you are driving....cheaper but not near the experience if you ask me. Money you
might save in hotel costs will be eaten up in taxi and parking costs.

- Tickets -Men is sold out, women still available. Tickets are available through ticketmaster.
Scalping is legal in Missouri although I don't believe on the grounds of the Sprint Center and
Power and Light district tends to chase off scalpers. Most of you have been to the Big 12
tournament before and know the drill. Wait for a losing team, buy their extras, etc.

-Transportation - Airport Super Shuttle is the best way to get from the airport to downtown
if you don't want to rent a car. Taxis are expensive. Staying anywhere downtown including
Sheraton/Westin to the Plaza (which I highly recommend) , there is the MAX bus line (map here
http://www.kcata.org) that is safe, quick, and easy. $1.50 each way, can also get a $3 all day pass
if you ask the driver when you board. Drops off a block from the arena. Runs until 12:30am.
There is no downtown shuttle going from hotels to/from arenas. Taxis to the plaza will run you
15-20 with tip.

- Parking -There are multiple parking lots all over downtown. The closer, the more expensive
obviously. A good parking lot map here: (http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/DowntownKC_ParkingMap-Web_Feb2012.pdf). Take the bus

if at all
possible...save yourself parking cash. Usually runs around $10 a day. The daytime sessions Wed
& Thurs are a bit tougher with downtown employers also parking at some garages.

- Sprint Center hints – Get into Sprint Center early if you like to watch a lot of warm-ups. With
a bar district across the street and no alcohol in the Sprint Center, it causes a rush at the last
second. Seems particularly bad when there are two sessions as they empty and clean the arena
between and doesn’t leave a lot of time for fans to get in. No weapons…this includes pocket
knives.

Open Free Practice - Big 12 announced no open public practices for 2012.

- Restaurants - An overall dining map here for things around downtown. This map is also
available at fan information booths in hotels and Sprint Center: (http://216.119.82.16/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2010-Restaurant-Map1.pdf)

My personal favorites....I will just list them, I'm sure you can google / GPS them as you need:
- BBQ - Close to downtown is unfortunately not easy. Jack Stack is on the edge of walkable.
Gates is on the MAX route at 31st Street. Arthur Bryants is a car ride.. Oklahoma Joes is also
quality but it's a drive.

Quick between sessions -This is the toughest for people to find. Fact is the P&L district can't
handle 18,000 fans from the Sprint Center and countless fans hanging out without tickets in
the time you need. Expand your search beyond P&L district proper. Remember thousands of
workers eat down here quick every day. Some that are walkable (* = lunch only): Zaina (12/
Walnut), Willies (16/Grand), Kansas City Cafe* (17/Grand), Art of Pizza (18/Baltimore), Quaff
(10/Broadway), Jimmy Johns (12/Grand), Subway* (11/Oak), Peanut (9/Broadway), Ingredient
(12/Main), Subway* (11/Oak) City Center Square Food Court (12/Main), Planet Sub* (11/
Main), KFC/Pizza Hut* (11/Main),

- Good lesser known places but probably not the quickest to serve you between sessions but still
good and walkable: Pizza Bella (18/Baltimore), Bulldog (17/Main), Tannin (16/Walnut), 12
Baltimore (12/Baltimore)

- Places to avoid due to being busy between sessions - Chipotle, Cosentino's grocery, Johnnys,
Whopper Bar

- Coffee -Starbucks at 12th & Main and 13th & Wyandotte, LatteLand at 12th & Main,
Cosentinos at 13th & Main, Scooters inside of building at 11th & Main (weekdays only)

- Steaks - My personal favorite is Plaza III on the Plaza, in downtown I'd go with Majestic at (10/
Broadway). 801 is ok but it is pricey.

- Latin/Mexican - My fave is Ponaks due to the margaritas but not walkable, Mannys is on the
edge of walkable. Some swear by Los Corrales (9/Broadway) and Los Tules (17th & Broadway),
Extra Virgin is a great tapas place (20/Main)

- Italian -Garozzos but isn't walkable, Anthonys I like but it's hit or miss is walkable at (7/
Grand), also Lidias (by Jack Stack)

- Cool local places probably better for nice dinner -Michael Smith (20/Main), Rieger Hotel (19/
Main), American, Farmhouse (rivermarket) , Blue Bird & Westside local (westside)

- Beer snob bars - Flying Saucer, Westside Local, Beer Kitchen (westport).

- Dive Bars -Quaff (10/Broadway), Zoo Bar (13/McGee), Brick (17/McGee), Cigar Box (16/
Grand), Harrys Country Club (5/Grand)

- Live Music -Brick, Phoenix, Majestic, Drum Room

- Brunch -Bristol is walkable, as is Majestic, some other good ones are a drive including Eggtc.,
Succotash, and You say Tomato. Westside local is also on the edge of walkable in the westside
neighborhoo d.

Power & Light District - Across from Sprint Center is the P&L district which some KC residents
love, some dislike...either way, you'll be spending time here more than likely and tourists tend to
love it. So quick spin around the district to what is there

- Outdoor area - First off, you can hang out outside with big screen TV and drink under a
covered courtyard... many do this.

- Johnnys -Quality sports bar. Great TVs, drinks specials, bar food. Will be packed.

- Pizza Bar -Nothing special. Good to grab a slice to go.

- McFaddens - Alright bar food, more upbeat drinking establishment

- Dubliner (replaces Raglan Road from prior years) - Huge Irish bar that's pretty fun.

- Gordon Biersch -Kinda like an Applebee's type brew pub....food is better but pretty corporate.

- Makers Mark - Only eaten here a couple times, it's okay, good liquor selection and more of a
lounge bar

- Tengo Sed -Mexican themed bar....it's ok, nothing special but okay

- Howl at the Moon -Dueling Piano bar, pretty fun if like that stuff

- Shark Bar -80's/90's dance bar....girls love this place

- Z Strike (formerly Lucky Strike) - pretty large lounge and bowling alley

- Mosaic -Techno Dance club

- Angels Rock Bar - Hard Rock dance club

- PBR Sky Bar - Country bar complete with a bull

All those above are inside the P&L "Live" block that will be blocked off and you can carry your
drinks in and out of all of these bars and in/out the courtyard. Other places around the P&L
district proper

- Flying Saucer -Great bar if you like beer....250 different to choose from. Also good bar food.

- Chipotle -I'm sure we all know Chipotle

- Whopper Bar - Think a Burger King where you can also drink...some new concept they are
doing.

- 801 Steakhouse -High end steakhouse out of Des Moines

- Bristol -Love this place. Quality seafood and nice bar setup. Love this place.

- Frans - 24 hour diner setup....nothing spectacular... the more you drink, the better it gets.

- Drunken Fish - New to KC, started in St. Louis.....sushi...it's okay. Very clubby.

- Mixx – Lunch only, they have good salads and sandwiches

- AMC Mainstreet theatre -Coolest theatre I've ever been in, can take liquor into the theatres.
Nice jazz type bar called Marquee attached.

- Kobe -Japanese grill as well as a sushi bar in the back.

- Balsano’s – New Gelato shop. Also serves breakfast and deli food.

- Garment District /Lovebird /Envolve /Zafar - Cool little clothing boutiques, mostly female
clothing but some guy stuff. Great way to spend some time shopping

- Cosentinos - This is the grocery store for downtown residents but also does a lot of premade
food for lunch. Will get swamped. Worth checking out just as a cool grocery store....has liquor
for hotel room stock up

- Teadrops -Good place to duck in for some tea and light snack.

- MeMa Bakery - Cool local bakery and does lunch stuff too

- LatteLand -Local KC coffeehouse. ..not open too late most nights unfortunatel y

Other areas of KC Westport -ISU fans love Kellys of course....there are other cool bars here
including Harpos, Harrys, McCoys, Beer Kitchen to name a few....some good local eateries here
as well. Definitely more unique and organic than the P&L district. Westport is approx. 39th and
Broadway.

Martini Corner - at 31st & Gillham...taxi would be easiest....some fun bars here including Sol,
Velvet Dog, Tower Tavern, and Drop. Not much in the way of food.

Plaza - The Country Club Plaza is the best shopping in KC. Right on the MAX bus route at 47th
& Main. Some good dining...more chains year after year and a couple of okay bars including
Fred p. otts, Grandfallon, and Tomfooleries. Some cool new places have opened up here in the
past year including Gram & Dunn, Seasons 52, and Zocolo (food questionable here). A couple
new stores including H&M have opened as well.

River Market - Cool downtown neighborhood that has a farmers market on Saturday and some of
the best dining of all kinds of nationalities including Blue Nile, Bo Lings, Hien Vuong. Minskys
is a good pizza place (delivers downtown).

Crossroads -Artsy downtown neighborhood just south of the Sprint Center....some cool dining
and bars.

18th & Vine -A neighborhood trying to get a foothold. Worth a visit just for the Negro League
Baseball Museum.

Brookside /Waldo - Two great neighborhoods with some cool local bars

Other attractions If you need other things to do, here are my picks:

- Auto show is going on at Bartle Hall downtown

- Titantic exhibit at Union Station

- Negro League Baseball – 18th & Vine

- WWI national monument – Crown Center. Great war history.

- Crown Center /Union Station great for families...countless things to do here

- Nelson Atkins Art museum -Cool thing is they will be having the original rules of basketball on
display during the tournament.

- Steamboat Arbia museum -Rivermarket neighborhood...they dug up a sunken river boat and its
on display.

- Shopping -Plaza has the best, Crown Center has some stores, the best malls would be
Independence Center, Zona Rosa, and Oak Park Mall

- College Basketball Experience -Cool collegiate museum and basketball drill type
setup....attached to sprint center.

Good overall website /twitter accounts

- KC Star - www.kansascity.com

- Downtown KC - http://www.downtownkc.org/

- Power and Light District - http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com

- Visitors Association -http://www.visitkc.com

- Sprint Center -http://www.sprintcenter.com

-@big12conference - Usually keeps up to date for tournament

-@downtownkc - My twitter account. Hit me up and I'll help you out with your question

badger
3/5/2011, 11:39 AM
enjoy the tourney. wish i could go, regardless of the expected outcome. for those of you going, cheer for those of us stuck watching on the tee vee.

Remember: "Signs are not permitted in Municipal Auditorium." :D

KCPowercat
3/6/2011, 09:55 AM
Added new info with the bracket release including bracket link, TV listings for those who can't make it to KC, and open practice times.

Hope to see a lot of Sooners up here.....brings back memories of the Big 8 with Billy Tubbs....that was fun times.

KCPowercat
3/4/2012, 09:59 PM
Bumping this up for this year's tournament. Info pretty much the same, I'll update with current information as needed. Safe travels to all headed up for the tournament. Should be a fun one...hope we don't have to meet you guys, you dominated us this year. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

badger
3/5/2012, 09:14 AM
Bumping this up for this year's tournament. Info pretty much the same, I'll update with current information as needed. Safe travels to all headed up for the tournament. Should be a fun one...hope we don't have to meet you guys, you dominated us this year. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Sooo... what are your thoughts on having the tourney in the state of Missouri after this year? Do you Kansas teams still want it there?

OULenexaman
3/5/2012, 11:44 AM
I can answer that for him....no they don't. And it should move....to Tulsa or OKC.

KCPowercat
3/5/2012, 07:26 PM
Sooo... what are your thoughts on having the tourney in the state of Missouri after this year? Do you Kansas teams still want it there?

Yes they do. Bill Self even came out in today's media call and wanted it to stay in KC. I really think the Big 12 wants to keep it in KC to maintain one of their largest media markets as a Big 12 market and not lose it to the SEC. Obviously I'm biased and want it here but I don't mind traveling ffor my team so every once and awhile somewhere else would be fine.

KCPowercat
3/5/2012, 07:28 PM
I've updated the original post with updated information. For veterans of the tournament here are some updates from last year:

-No open practice to the public for any team this year.
-MAX Bus service will be increased in frequency this year.
-New restaurants – Dubliner Irish bar replaces Raglan Road. Opened by a local company.
Bar Louie at 14th & Walnut is an okay bar. Balsano’s by Drunken Fish has great gelato and
lunch food. Snow & Co in the crossroads makes wicked frozen drinks. Tamale Wizard in the
Rivermarket. The big building to the Southwest of the arena is the Kauffman Performing Arts
Center. Amazing building. No tours are being given during the tournament unfortunately.
Genghis Grill and Famous Dave's has closed…nobody noticed I don’t think.

Sooner24
3/5/2012, 09:00 PM
Now if only the Italian Gardens was still open....
:dispirited:

Sooner24
3/5/2012, 09:07 PM
Italian Gardens, Gold Buffett, Stephenson Apple Farm, original Hereford House, Lobster Pot/Colony Steak House are just some of the places we used to dine at that are sadly no longer open and I really miss them.

8timechamps
3/5/2012, 10:18 PM
Yes they do. Bill Self even came out in today's media call and wanted it to stay in KC. I really think the Big 12 wants to keep it in KC to maintain one of their largest media markets as a Big 12 market and not lose it to the SEC. Obviously I'm biased and want it here but I don't mind traveling ffor my team so every once and awhile somewhere else would be fine.

Of course they (the Kansas schools) want it in KC. Why wouldn't they? As for the Big XII wanting to leave it there, I haven't read or seen anything that tells me the Big XII wants to keep it in KC, but you're probably closer and know better than I would. I would like to see it moved to Dallas, or even OKC.

KCPowercat
3/5/2012, 10:30 PM
Of course they (the Kansas schools) want it in KC. Why wouldn't they? As for the Big XII wanting to leave it there, I haven't read or seen anything that tells me the Big XII wants to keep it in KC, but you're probably closer and know better than I would. I would like to see it moved to Dallas, or even OKC.

Agreed...I just answered the question asked. It's always going to be "close" to some school.....each school fans have equal shot at tickets...none are sold to the public until schools send back their allotment.

After 2014, nothing has been decided...the talk around KC was there was talk of extending the contract very soon.....

OULenexaman
3/6/2012, 09:21 AM
Italian Gardens, Gold Buffett, Stephenson Apple Farm, original Hereford House, Lobster Pot/Colony Steak House are just some of the places we used to dine at that are sadly no longer open and I really miss them. And almost all of those places were still open when I left here in 2005.....I come back in 2010 and poof!!

8timechamps
3/6/2012, 04:27 PM
Agreed...I just answered the question asked. It's always going to be "close" to some school.....each school fans have equal shot at tickets...none are sold to the public until schools send back their allotment.

After 2014, nothing has been decided...the talk around KC was there was talk of extending the contract very soon.....

You did make a good point about the Big XII having a footprint in the KC market, and that's something they probably don't want to give up. I've had a great time at the Big XII tourney, even when it was at Kemper, so its hard to argue that there's anything wrong with the venue. The only team that is really affected by the location is WVU, but they knew what they were getting into.

KCPowercat
3/5/2013, 09:06 PM
Time to bump this for 2013....be happy to help anybody with the trip.

Looks like there are actually seats available (all-session) open to the public. first time I've ever seen that here. Looks like losing two good ticket buying teams and replacing them with TCU and WVU, the shift to Wed-Sat, and reduction to 10 teams has finally took their toll.

Good time for a road trip down to KC and get some cheap tickets now....

badger
3/5/2013, 10:11 PM
Welcome back kitty. Maybe OU and KSU can co-win the Big 12 this season too (you guys regular, us tourney) :D

8timechamps
3/5/2013, 10:42 PM
KCPowercat....makes his annual appearance.

Thanks!

KCPowercat
3/5/2013, 10:43 PM
Welcome back kitty. Maybe OU and KSU can co-win the Big 12 this season too (you guys regular, us tourney) :D

I'll take this if we can beat OSU and Baylor can win...I don't want to share.

badger
3/6/2013, 01:09 PM
I'll take this if we can beat OSU and Baylor can win...I don't want to share.

We didn't want to share with you during football season either, dear :)

But seriously, I just want someone besides KU to win the Big 12 for once. If it can't be us, it might as well be you

Sooner95
3/7/2013, 07:22 PM
MY question is is stoolwater looses and we win who gets 3rd seed in Big12?

Salt City Sooner
3/7/2013, 07:51 PM
MY question is is stoolwater looses and we win who gets 3rd seed in Big12?

OU will.

Soonerjeepman
3/7/2013, 08:34 PM
also update...course prob many know...women in Dallas not KC.

badger
3/8/2013, 09:54 AM
also update...course prob many know...women in Dallas not KC.

And the tourney starts today if I'm not mistaken with two play-in games, whereas the men's reg season lasts through the weekend :D

Our women start their tourney games tomorrow against Female Mountie

Sooner24
3/9/2013, 12:39 AM
There were tons of Baylor fans at the AAC tonight but I would say us Sooner fans were right behind them of all teams that did not play tonight. I'm sure the Big 12 is going to declare splitting the men and women up a rousing success but as far as I'm concerned it's a major fail. Only about 20% of the concession stands were open and only one of the Platinum level escalators worked. I even heard some of the security people laughing about the small crowd. I'm sure when Baylor plays tomorrow there will be a large crowd. Maybe they will open more concession stands tomorrow.

Sooner95
3/9/2013, 01:04 PM
OU will.

Thanks. My Dad and I were going over this last night and yes. Because we swept Baylor, that's the tie breaker.

KCPowercat
3/10/2013, 06:30 PM
New link for a dining map

http://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Dining-Map-2012.pdf

aurorasooner
3/14/2013, 10:17 AM
bleh. Just checked the listings in Denver for the OU Big 12 tourney game today to set my dvr. All kinds of conference tourneys live on the ESPiN networks, Fox, CBSSpN, and the PAC-12 network except the Big 12 tourney which will be time delayed after midnight and all games will be broadcast time-delayed in the early Fri AM, and it's only being broadcast live on PPV by ESPiN. What good is having (and paying for) 5 ESPiN channels (the main, 2, News, U, classic) on sports tier when only a couple are broadcasting the live games while the rest of them are showing their lame crap and they require PPV to watch the Big 12 tourney? Anyone got an on-line radio link for todays game at the tourney? thx
(btw same thing happened last night Texass/TCU game wasn't on but the 1st game was). Hopefully we'll win today because the listings show that all games are going to be broadcast live tomorrow.

Boomer.....
3/14/2013, 11:09 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?176806-Men-s-basketball-online

Salt City Sooner
3/14/2013, 01:02 PM
It's on ESPN 2 here.

MichiganSooner
3/15/2013, 01:21 PM
Would like to see this tournament in Tulsa every few years. Tulsa is in the middle of the league geographically so easier for students to drive to.