PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Volts Flying Off The Lots!!

sappstuf
3/3/2011, 07:58 PM
Well... I mean if 281 sold is flying off the lots.. That is for the month of February and for the entire country in case my sarcasm isn't coming through.

The good news is that brings the total number sold to 928 in about 4 months!

Bad news is that sales dropped about 14% from January..

Good news is that the Nissan Leaf only sold 67 Leafs in February!

Bad news is tax payers are still owed billions..

Why did we bail such a wise company out??

My Opinion Matters
3/3/2011, 08:02 PM
Hahaha, take that, innovation!

Sooner5030
3/3/2011, 08:06 PM
too bad they didn't make like a small diesel car that gets like +40 mpg. I'd buy that. Until then I'll stick to VW and maybe an imported Toyota Hilux if I can ever find one.

jumperstop
3/3/2011, 08:12 PM
Sucks, but this was how the hybrids started out. Only the rich could get them and they had to be on the waiting list at that. Now they are readily available. I'm sure the same thing will happen with these electric cars in the next couple of years.

sappstuf
3/3/2011, 08:12 PM
too bad they didn't make like a small diesel car that gets like +40 mpg. I'd buy that. Until then I'll stick to VW and maybe an imported Toyota Hilux if I can ever find one.

Well Ford does have the Fiesta that gets 40mpg.. Only costs 15K versus the $32K after the $7500 hijacked from taxpayers for each and every car sold.

jumperstop
3/3/2011, 08:23 PM
Electric cars save you gas, but do they really save you money when your electricty bill comes in? Also do they really even help the environment? That electrity probably comes from a coal burning power plant. Now if we could get some nuclear power plants around here.

REDREX
3/3/2011, 08:29 PM
Consumer reports said it is not worth the money---- http://www.businessinsider.com/consumer-reports-volt-2011-3

rwryne
3/3/2011, 08:32 PM
Electric cars save you gas, but do they really save you money when your electricty bill comes in? Also do they really even help the environment? That electrity probably comes from a coal burning power plant. Now if we could get some nuclear power plants around here.

I would imagine the efficiency of a power plant beats the efficiency of a car motor.

Also, isn't most of Oklahoma's power generated by natural gas, not coal?

sappstuf
3/3/2011, 08:36 PM

I wonder what all those used 400 pound batteries will do to the environment?

waynepayne
3/3/2011, 08:38 PM
I would imagine the efficiency of a power plant beats the efficiency of a car motor.

Also, isn't most of Oklahoma's power generated by natural gas, not coal?

I am curious about the Honda Civic GX and why NGV's arent more popular? I know we have several natural gas stations here in the OKC area

Sooner5030
3/3/2011, 08:38 PM
I wonder what all those used 400 pound batteries will do to the environment?

I've always wondered how they'd operate during long periods of low temps. I know in one of the reviews they kept it in the garage and plugged in and ran in the cold. But I wonder how well it works when it has been parked for 8 hours outside in 5 degrees. How much energy will be used just to warm up the car and defrost the windows?

MR2-Sooner86
3/3/2011, 08:41 PM
Oops...

California Rules That Chevy Volt Pollutes More Than VW Diesels (http://gas2.org/2010/10/25/car-rates-volt-ulev-emits-more-than-vw-diesels/)
http://c1.gas2.org/files/2010/10/volt_emissions-1.png

Not good...

For a list of the greenest 2011 model-year vehicles, there sure are a lot of traditional gasoline engines among the top 12 cars ranked by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.

The council's 14th annual ratings of the most eco-friendly cars on the market include internal combustion models such as the Smart Fortwo, the Ford Fiesta and the Hyundai Elantra.

The natural gas-powered Honda Civic GX topped the list for an eighth straight year, with a score of 54, followed by the new all-electric Nissan Leaf. Other vehicles considered to be the greenest of the crop included the hybrid Toyota Prius and the hybrid electric Chevrolet Volt, which squeaked into the last spot. (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2011/02/greenest-cars-list-include-natural-gas-honda-civic-gx-nissan-leaf-electric-and-just-barely-chevrolet.html)

sappstuf
3/3/2011, 08:44 PM
I've always wondered how they'd operate during long periods of low temps. I know in one of the reviews they kept it in the garage and plugged in and ran in the cold. But I wonder how well it works when it has been parked for 8 hours outside in 5 degrees. How much energy will be used just to warm up the car and defrost the windows?

Dress warm...

Also in the long term update is some info on the pre-heating performance (or lack thereof). It seems this feature isn't up to the task of raising the cabin temperature in a reasonable amount of time. After 35 minutes of pre-heating, the cabin temp was a frigid 39.1F and the footwell only a slightly warmer 47.9F. It's not clear whether this is typical or if something is wrong with this particular Volt, but MT plans on taking it to the dealer if things don't improve. To get all the data as well as some nice graphs, click here.

StoopTroup
3/3/2011, 09:09 PM
I'm making one that runs on your own pee and poop and gets over 500 miles on a good BM. The details? I'm not gonna bore you with a bunch of BS like that.

REDREX
3/3/2011, 09:33 PM
I'm making one that runs on your own pee and poop and gets over 500 miles on a good BM. The details? I'm not gonna bore you with a bunch of BS like that.----Barack will probably give you a tax credit if you would add Ethanol to your pee

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 10:52 PM
Well... I mean if 281 sold is flying off the lots.. That is for the month of February and for the entire country in case my sarcasm isn't coming through.

That must be a typo. Surely you meant "county." Please fix your mistake.

Oh, I forgot to put in the winky. ;)

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 10:54 PM

Maybe, but have you factored in the losses in the power lines? (Not saying one way or the other.)

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 11:02 PM
This was gold:

The Volt, like the Prius, is just the Hummer for lefties, i.e., conspicuous consumption to make sure everyone knows that you're the type of person who drives a Chevy Volt. It'd be a lot more cost-effective to just buy an old used car and slap an "Impeach Bush!" bumper sticker on the back, and you'd accomplish the same thing.

pphilfran
3/3/2011, 11:05 PM
Sales are low because that is all they are producing at the current time...plant start ups are a bitch...it will take at least a year, and probably two, before production reaches capacity...

sappstuf
3/3/2011, 11:15 PM
Sales are low because that is all they are producing at the current time...plant start ups are a bitch...it will take at least a year, and probably two, before production reaches capacity...

GM expected to build between 10K and 15K in 2011. If what you are saying is true, then they have only made about 500 in the first two months. They will have to average between 950 to 1450 a month from here on out to reach their own goal.

I'm thinking it doesn't look good. And more money lost.

Phil, can you answer a question for me? Why on earth would they build the Volt to only take Premium gasoline?

sooner59
3/3/2011, 11:27 PM
I'm making one that runs on your own pee and poop and gets over 500 miles on a good BM. The details? I'm not gonna bore you with a bunch of BS like that.

http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/8331/8331296d79d9e4029257f48d5a859d1b0a9b2a0.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=8331296&showlnk=0)

pphilfran
3/3/2011, 11:32 PM
GM expected to build between 10K and 15K in 2011. If what you are saying is true, then they have only made about 500 in the first two months. They will have to average between 950 to 1450 a month from here on out to reach their own goal.

I'm thinking it doesn't look good. And more money lost.

Phil, can you answer a question for me? Why on earth would they build the Volt to only take Premium gasoline?

They have a shot at the 10 to 15k...they will sell that many if they can produce them...

GM is being very cautious about the initial builds...brand new technology and they are taking it slow to minimize problems in the field...

As far as premium fuel...the vehicle will get better mileage with premium, 5% or slightly more...you can use regular in a pinch since the engine has a knock sensor and will retard timing to eliminate the knock...

This is a different animal...when the gas engine kicks in it will run at a steady rpm...it is basically a generator...

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 06:40 AM
legitimate question:

I've been told the NiMH batteries in these electric cars can only be expected to last a few years before they need to be replaced. And the battery pack is very expensive to replace. Which of course means these spark buggies will depreciate in re-sale value much quicker than conventional vehicles.

There is also the matter of disposal of the used-up battery packs. Apparently that's not a simple matter either.

Anyone here know if the above is generally accurate?

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 07:20 AM
legitimate question:

I've been told the NiMH batteries in these electric cars can only be expected to last a few years before they need to be replaced. And the battery pack is very expensive to replace. Which of course means these spark buggies will depreciate in re-sale value much quicker than conventional vehicles.

There is also the matter of disposal of the used-up battery packs. Apparently that's not a simple matter either.

Anyone here know if the above is generally accurate?

GM has an 8 year 100k battery warranty on the Volt's lithium ion battery...

GM is only using something like 70% of the battery charge to help extend battery life...they will use more of the battery charge if life expectancy at 70% meets the GM requirements..

Current battery replacement cost is probably in the 10k range...though that should decrease due to economy of scale...though they will still be damn expensive...

As far as disposal, the battery should be 100% recyclable...GM is also looking at using used packs to store wind or solar energy...no good answer here at the current time...

sappstuf
3/4/2011, 08:18 AM

GM is only using something like 70% of the battery charge to help extend battery life...they will use more of the battery charge if life expectancy at 70% meets the GM requirements..

Current battery replacement cost is probably in the 10k range...though that should decrease due to economy of scale...though they will still be damn expensive...

As far as disposal, the battery should be 100% recyclable...GM is also looking at using used packs to store wind or solar energy...no good answer here at the current time...

Nuclear waste is 98% recyclable.. And I know you know what percentage the US is sitting at now.. :)

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 08:33 AM
Nuclear waste is 98% recyclable.. And I know you know what percentage the US is sitting at now.. :)

Notice I said SHOULD be recyclable...:)

sappstuf
3/4/2011, 08:37 AM
They have a shot at the 10 to 15k...they will sell that many if they can produce them...

GM is being very cautious about the initial builds...brand new technology and they are taking it slow to minimize problems in the field...

As far as premium fuel...the vehicle will get better mileage with premium, 5% or slightly more...you can use regular in a pinch since the engine has a knock sensor and will retard timing to eliminate the knock...

This is a different animal...when the gas engine kicks in it will run at a steady rpm...it is basically a generator...

Yeah they have the diehards that will buy it, but I really don't see much beyond that.

Unless Obama invokes the Commerce Clause and makes us all buy one. ;)

By the way, do NOT buy a Volt if you have any kind of potholes or speed bumps. It has the clearance of 1.13 Iphones..

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011_Volt_1600_Spoiler_det_iphone.jpg

But the typical track-day aero mod will drag on every parking curb and driveway in sight, so the deepest, most effective ones never make their way onto production cars, no matter how tempting the tiny fuel economy benefit may be to automakers and their CAFE averages.

Except, it turns out, for the 2011 Chevrolet Volt.

This one's really low, folks: 3 inches, or 1.13 iPhones (in a case) from edge to pavement. That's not enough space for my balled fist, knuckles up. That gap narrows with a driver aboard and shrinks further when the car dives forward under any kind of braking.

And so the Chevy Volt's spoiler drags on everything. Speed bumps? Ssccrrraaape. Driveways? Ssccrrraaape. It's shallow enough that every intersection with a lateral gutter of any depth becomes the Rubicon Trail.

A deliberate, angled approach is your only defense--or a pair of earmuffs. And don't even dream of pulling all the way up to a concrete parking curb without making contact.

The approach angle to this protuberance is not specified, of course, but we'll soon measure that, too, just for grins. My guess lies at the high end of the single digits.

Of course GM knew all this going in, so they chopped it into three parts and made it kinda-sorta flexible. Nevertheless, Volt drivers must swallow their pride and simply tolerate the scrape sound and the inevitable ratty appearance of their front air dam.

As for us, we're taking bets on how much of the thing will be ground away at the end of our test year. Feel free to weigh in with your over-under guess of the replacement mileage. No word yet as to whether or not it'll pass the Top Gear UK "sleeping policeman" test that allows cars onto their Power Lap Times board.

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 08:45 AM
Electrics are far too new on the scene to expect large volume sales....they are not a money saver at current prices, though fed tax rebates help soften the blow...

If we get another round of 4-5 buck gas we can expect to see a backlog on hybrids and electrics (the Volt is really a hybrid, Leaf an electric..a couple of years ago the Prius had a 6 month or more backlog, though that backlog disappeared when fuel prices tanked during the world wide recession...

It looks to be a speed bump scraper....though my 911 is at least as low and I somehow manage to get along....

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2011, 09:27 AM
Oncue along with a few other stations are installing CNG pumps. Anyone have any experience with a CNG powered vehicle?

Mjcpr
3/4/2011, 09:31 AM
Oncue along with a few other stations are installing CNG pumps. Anyone have any experience with a CNG powered vehicle?

We have one at work that I've driven only a couple of times. I didn't notice anything different about from a gas vehicle but the range is not that great which is a concern because there aren't a lot of fueling stations around yet.

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 09:34 AM
CNG is the way to go...though you do lose a third or more of your driving range...

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2011, 09:38 AM
We have one at work that I've driven only a couple of times. I didn't notice anything different about from a gas vehicle but the range is not that great which is a concern because there aren't a lot of fueling stations around yet.

CNG is the way to go...though you do lose a third or more of your driving range...

When we lived in NM 13-14 years ago they had two or three CNG stations where we lived. I'm surprised there aren't more here.

sappstuf
3/4/2011, 09:47 AM
Electrics are far too new on the scene to expect large volume sales....they are not a money saver at current prices, though fed tax rebates help soften the blow...

If we get another round of 4-5 buck gas we can expect to see a backlog on hybrids and electrics (the Volt is really a hybrid, Leaf an electric..a couple of years ago the Prius had a 6 month or more backlog, though that backlog disappeared when fuel prices tanked during the world wide recession...

It looks to be a speed bump scraper....though my 911 is at least as low and I somehow manage to get along....

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/dazzle_me90/GIF/gibbsheadslap.gif

Please never again mention your 911 in a Chevy Volt thread! :)

Your 911 has a top speed that is slightly higher than the 100mph of the Volt.

SoCaliSooner
3/4/2011, 10:17 AM

I am considering one of these VW's if they put them into production....

http://blog.niot.net/blog-images/22_Sep/rumormill-vw-microbus-back-on-the-table.jpg

jumperstop
3/4/2011, 10:25 AM
I am considering one of these VW's if they put them into production....

http://blog.niot.net/blog-images/22_Sep/rumormill-vw-microbus-back-on-the-table.jpg

Cool retro look, but it's still a van....

AlboSooner
3/4/2011, 10:28 AM
I think electric cars presents more problems than solutions. The battery making process is some nasty stuff. Electric cars will cause the price of electricity to go up. Imagine the strain on the grid by plugging millions of cars in it everyday.

What if there is storm and the electricity goes out? Now you can't even go to work or to the store.

Why don't we use the most abundant element in the universe: hydrogen.
I like the CNC too.

We're never going to run out of H, and using H in a car will produce water vapor.

Yeah it's hard to extrapolate H, but so is oil.

delhalew
3/4/2011, 10:59 AM
Who wouldn't want a little **** box that costs as much as 4wd truck?

jumperstop
3/4/2011, 11:05 AM
I think electric cars presents more problems than solutions. The battery making process is some nasty stuff. Electric cars will cause the price of electricity to go up. Imagine the strain on the grid by plugging millions of cars in it everyday.

What if there is storm and the electricity goes out? Now you can't even go to work or to the store.

Why don't we use the most abundant element in the universe: hydrogen.
I like the CNC too.

We're never going to run out of H, and using H in a car will produce water vapor.

Yeah it's hard to extrapolate H, but so is oil.

I had to do a little presentation on hydrogen cars in college. Pretty much the best solution. I don't see why we're even ****ing with these ****ty technologies that aren't solving any of the problems.

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 12:09 PM
The problem with Hydrogen is storage. Too many hindenburg possibilities.

texaspokieokie
3/4/2011, 12:15 PM
people been sayin for years that we should have electric cars. now that they're,here someone must try them. maybe with experience they can over the years become greatly improved. who knows ??

let's find out !!

texaspokieokie
3/4/2011, 12:15 PM
p.s; i don't want one.

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 12:27 PM
I think if you were around before electricity you're exempt from all the loonies getting after you to buy one. :D

badger
3/4/2011, 02:17 PM
I thought the cars looked really sharp but the tech is too new to be widely accepted yet... but $3.25 gas in the Tulsa area last night means it might get accepted pretty quickly :eek:

waynepayne
3/4/2011, 02:55 PM

oh so someone else asks the question and you answer them??!

and I thought we were buds...

pfft.

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 02:58 PM

what happens in a crash? Seems to be that could be a sparky event.

sappstuf
3/4/2011, 03:08 PM

I smuggled this video from the GM test grounds..

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/34182_o.gif

waynepayne
3/4/2011, 03:14 PM

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/vehicles/electric-car-shock2.htm

AlboSooner
3/4/2011, 03:52 PM
The problem with Hydrogen is storage. Too many hindenburg possibilities.

I hope they don't make the fuel tank with cloth material. ;)

The universe exists with an intrinsic gain vs. risk dilemma. Nothing is risk free. Using gasoline is not risk free. When considering all the possibilities, H is the best solution imo.

I smuggled this video from the GM test grounds..

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/34182_o.gif

I thought that was a video of somebody trying the drug called charlie sheen

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 04:36 PM
oh so someone else asks the question and you answer them??!

and I thought we were buds...

pfft.

No use in describing technical stuff to a girl...

Sooner5030
3/4/2011, 04:46 PM
I don't necessarily dislike the electric folks.....I'm just disgruntled because of the lack of diesel availability in our small cars and trucks in the USA. Everywhere else I can get a diesel Toyota, Nissan, Bongo, Izuzu, etc. But in the US we'll jump to a "limited" utility battery car before we give 5030 more options to buy a small diesel.

jkjsooner
3/4/2011, 04:47 PM
Maybe, but have you factored in the losses in the power lines? (Not saying one way or the other.)

If you go that route, you have to take into consideration the energy cost to transport fuel to your car.

waynepayne
3/4/2011, 04:48 PM
No use in describing technical stuff to a girl...

haha, I am glad old age hasnt softened ya up any...

jkjsooner
3/4/2011, 04:54 PM
I hope they don't make the fuel tank with cloth material. ;)

The universe exists with an intrinsic gain vs. risk dilemma. Nothing is risk free. Using gasoline is not risk free. When considering all the possibilities, H is the best solution imo.

I thought that was a video of somebody trying the drug called charlie sheen

I think there are two problems with fuel cells at the time. One is the inavailability of materials to massively produce fuel cells. Two is that we don't have the infrastructure to deliver hydrogen to the cars. (We already have infrastructure to deliver electricity.)

It's going to take a lot bigger committment to switch to hydrogen fuel cells...

BTW, from what I read the storage issue isn't that big of a deal. They say that most of the carnage from the Hindenberg was caused by the lining catching fire and that most of the hydrogen quickly esaped w/o combusting.

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 04:56 PM
haha, I am glad old age hasnt softened ya up any...

I am a mean old snot at 57...I will be unbearable when I reach 70....

OUthunder
3/4/2011, 05:03 PM
http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/8331/8331296d79d9e4029257f48d5a859d1b0a9b2a0.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=8331296&showlnk=0)

Throw in a magazine subscription for free and I'd buy it.

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 07:35 PM
I think electric cars presents more problems than solutions. The battery making process is some nasty stuff.

But they manufacture most of the world's lithium batteries in China. So who cares? Right?

sappstuf
3/4/2011, 08:30 PM
I went to Autotrader.com just to see if I could find any Volts available for sale.

I found 229 available cars.. Two in San Antonio. I bet the number of actual Volts is three times that.

Supply doesn't appear to be the problem.

Doesn't look good for a $40K car with entry level features.

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 10:22 PM
I went to Autotrader.com just to see if I could find any Volts available for sale.

I found 229 available cars.. Two in San Antonio. I bet the number of actual Volts is three times that.

Supply doesn't appear to be the problem.

Doesn't look good for a $40K car with entry level features.

IMHO, if you buy and actually drive one of the things, you are advertising the fact you are d1ckless. just sayin'

StoopTroup
3/4/2011, 10:31 PM
2012 is almost here....

I say just take the bus and save your money on what it takes to jack whatever ride you want before it's over.

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 10:56 PM
If you go that route, you have to take into consideration the energy cost to transport fuel to your car.

Sure, if they had to drive it up to your doorstep. Other than that the losses are trivial.

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 10:57 PM
But they manufacture most of the world's lithium batteries in China. So who cares? Right?

What about the pandas!?!?!

Okla-homey
3/4/2011, 11:03 PM
What about the pandas!?!?!

Who cares? We got places to go. dammit.

Leroy Lizard
3/4/2011, 11:19 PM
Who cares? We got places to go. dammit.

Ling Ling and Poo Tang (or whatever the **** their names are) ain't going to care for your answer one damn bit.

texaspokieokie
3/5/2011, 09:06 AM
I don't necessarily dislike the electric folks.....I'm just disgruntled because of the lack of diesel availability in our small cars and trucks in the USA. Everywhere else I can get a diesel Toyota, Nissan, Bongo, Izuzu, etc. But in the US we'll jump to a "limited" utility battery car before we give 5030 more options to buy a small diesel.

i'm with you on the diesels.

especially if they were US brands.

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 11:15 AM
i'm with you on the diesels.

especially if they were US brands.

You can thank GM and our fearless leaders in DC...

GM put out a POS diesel in the early 80's (might have been late 70's)...they used some Olds gas engine parts in the POS diesel and low an behold they drastically reduced engine life...performance in Olds and Caddies was not too shabby...over 20 seconds for the quarter mile...my Dad in a wheel chair can nearly match that performance...and he has a bad heart to boot...

The Fed has set tax rates for gasoline at 18.4 cents per gallon...the more efficient diesel gets slapped with 24.4 cents....big thumbs up to our leadership...

texaspokieokie
3/5/2011, 12:17 PM
i don't blame GM; not any more.

those engines, (late 70s & early 80s) were TERRIBLE !!!!

i know @ least 4 people that exchanged originals for gasoline engines.

compression ratio was so high (no turbos) that head gaskets blew, & after the 1st one it was all downhill.

just a terrible idea during the time when US cars were fighting emissions
& gas mileage. actually a good idea, but really poor engines. should've built
from scratch & used turbo chargers.
those diesels (before they blew up) did get reasonably good mileage.

Rocko
3/5/2011, 12:43 PM
I wonder how many telephones were sold the first year of their production?

"What is this contraption? I'd rather write a letter!"

I wonder how many automobiles were sold the first year of their production?

"Internal combustion what? I'll stick to my horse thank you very much!"

Point is, don't even bother looking at the sales numbers for these trailblazing cars. Nissan and GM both fully expected to lose money on these things initially, but that's not what it's about. These things are publicity, and when everyone else starts trying to role out their models of the EV, they will be light years ahead of the competition (especially GM in terms of practicality).

texaspokieokie
3/5/2011, 12:51 PM
good post Rocko !!

Sooner5030
3/5/2011, 01:19 PM
It's very hard to find a good 1980s izuzu, Chevy LUV or mighty mack Dodge truck with a 2.0-3.0 diesel. The ones that are in good condition are too expensive for a daily driver. I've always wanted one to tinker with and just drive to work getting +30 MPG.

I've got an 08 Dodge 1-ton (6.7 cummins) with less than 40k miles on it but don't want to use it as a daily driver.....just for RV trips. The problem is in order to get my money's worth I need to put 30k a year on it and keep it for 10 years. The ten years wont be hard but I'll never put 30k a year on it.

REDREX
3/5/2011, 01:26 PM

Point is, don't even bother looking at the sales numbers for these trailblazing cars. Nissan and GM both fully expected to lose money on these things initially, but that's not what it's about. These things are publicity, and when everyone else starts trying to role out their models of the EV, they will be light years ahead of the competition (especially GM in terms of practicality).----That would be fine if it was not tax payer funded---No car that will only go 40 miles before it needs a charge and costs $40,000 will ever sell

bigfatjerk
3/5/2011, 01:43 PM

Point is, don't even bother looking at the sales numbers for these trailblazing cars. Nissan and GM both fully expected to lose money on these things initially, but that's not what it's about. These things are publicity, and when everyone else starts trying to role out their models of the EV, they will be light years ahead of the competition (especially GM in terms of practicality).

The thing is that the phone was a new thing. The volt isn't really a new thing. It's just a car when it comes down to it. If something doesn't sell it won't last. There has been talk about the electric car for a little over 100 years. And it's still never done much of anything. Quit treating the electric/hybrid car as if it's a new idea. We've been trying to make one since the car was invented.

Rocko
3/5/2011, 01:57 PM
The thing is that the phone was a new thing. The volt isn't really a new thing. It's just a car when it comes down to it. If something doesn't sell it won't last. There has been talk about the electric car for a little over 100 years. And it's still never done much of anything. Quit treating the electric/hybrid car as if it's a new idea. We've been trying to make one since the car was invented.

If you think we can continue to produce solely gasoline powered cars while maintaining our currently life style, you're mistaken.

Why would you hate the American electric car? GM has opened a new plant for batter production that is giving people in Detroit jobs. And as they continue to build an emphrastructure for electric vehicles (production plants, GE's charging stations, an electric grid is already in place) the tech will only get cheaper.

Electric is not the way of the tomorrow, but it is a stepping stone on our way to the next fuel source. We have to make this fossil fuel last for as long as possible.

bigfatjerk
3/5/2011, 02:06 PM
I don't hate it. There's just not much future in it. It's basically been a dead end for 100 years. I think we should be looking at nuclear power as our replacement for oil. I think it's got more promise.

Rocko
3/5/2011, 02:12 PM
----That would be fine if it was not tax payer funded---No car that will only go 40 miles before it needs a charge and costs $40,000 will ever sell

First, I don't think anyone wants to see what this country would be like without GM. The amount of people out of jobs would be irreparable. I'm not being an apologist they ran the company into the ground, but the government did the right thing.

$7,500 tax credit on both the Leaf and Volt, making the Volt more of a mid $30's price range. Besides, since when has new technology been cheap?

Also, I have no clue as to what your daily commute is, but 40 miles is more than the average round trip for Americans. Following the initial 40 mile charge, the gasoline engine kicks in to power the electric engine.

The car gets 37 mpg with gasoline power, which is good considering the weight of the batteries. Charge your car overnight for the cost of $1.85 in electricity and you may rarely have to hear that gasoline engine kick in.

The reason I believe the Volt is a more practical model of the electric right now is the supplementary gasoline engine. In the Leaf if you go to far, you're stuck!

Rocko
3/5/2011, 02:14 PM
I don't hate it. There's just not much future in it. It's basically been a dead end for 100 years. I think we should be looking at nuclear power as our replacement for oil. I think it's got more promise.

Agreeable, but the stigma that the word nuclear has is almost to much to overcome. If the public is reacting negatively to electric (heard Cowherd bashing it yesterday) then how would they react to nuclear

But I suppose some truck buyers would love to drop the line

"Yeah its gotta nuclear reactor under the hood"

MR2-Sooner86
3/5/2011, 02:52 PM

Point is, don't even bother looking at the sales numbers for these trailblazing cars.

The electric car was around before the internal combustion engine. In fact at the turn of the century there were more electric powered cars than gasoline powered cars. There's nothing "new" or "trailblazing" about the electric car. In fact the Volt is not really electric as it still needs a gasoline engine. Why? Because if it just ran off of batteries the range would suck *** through a straw. The same problem that has held back electric cars for over 100 years.

People can just smell BS which is what this whole thing is. It's just a product of the "Go Green" movement times a million we've been seeing the past couple of years. If it was so great you wouldn't need so many tax breaks, credits, and government incentives to try to bring in buyers.

Until the technology gets here natural gas vehicles are the way to go in terms of foreign oil and CO2 emissions.

Okla-homey
3/5/2011, 03:07 PM
Agreeable, but the stigma that the word nuclear has is almost to much to overcome. If the public is reacting negatively to electric (heard Cowherd bashing it yesterday) then how would they react to nuclear

But I suppose some truck buyers would love to drop the line

"Yeah its gotta nuclear reactor under the hood"

I'm holding out for the flux capacitor myself. A couple handfuls of kitchen garbage converted to 9.3 gigawatts.

MR2-Sooner86
3/5/2011, 03:10 PM
I'm holding out for Mr. Fusion myself. A couple handfuls of kitchen garbage converted to 9.3 gigawatts.

;)

Leroy Lizard
3/5/2011, 08:40 PM

Telephones didn't suck.

Leroy Lizard
3/5/2011, 08:41 PM
People can just smell BS which is what this whole thing is. It's just a product of the "Go Green" movement times a million we've been seeing the past couple of years. If it was so great you wouldn't need so many tax breaks, credits, and government incentives to try to bring in buyers.

It's a golf cart.

REDREX
3/5/2011, 08:48 PM
I also read that the heater does not work----Great selling point in cold weather states

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 08:49 PM
I also read that the heater does not work----Great selling point in cold weather states

How ya been, RR?

REDREX
3/5/2011, 08:51 PM
How ya been, RR?----Just fine Phil---How is life in Lawton?

pphilfran
3/5/2011, 08:53 PM
----Just fine Phil---How is life in Lawton?

Chitty...I have actually had to work the last 6 months or so...things are looking brighter and I am back to part time work...

REDREX
3/5/2011, 08:55 PM
Chitty...I have actually had to work the last 6 months or so...things are looking brighter and I am back to part time work...----I am glad the chip business has turned around

bluedogok
3/6/2011, 06:58 PM
I have seen two Chevy Volts here in Austin, one of the markets they decided to offer it first in. It may be the same car as well, both were a crimson red and had MFGR. plates. Once on Mopac when they were first available and last week parked in The Domain.