PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Shrugged

Sooner5030
3/3/2011, 07:13 PM
I just started reading the book yesterday. I was aware a movie was being made but I did not know it would be a trilogy. It appears they put things together quickly as they were about to lose the 18 year rights to the script. Hope I finish the book before the DVD release.;)

http://silverunderground.com/?p=1616

Silver Circle was recently granted access to a sneak peek of Atlas Shrugged: Part I, based on Ayn Rand’s novel Atlas Shrugged. As filmmakers ourselves, the excitement and anticipation grew as we entered the screening in San Diego where others buzzed about their expectations for the film.

The screenwriter, John Aglialoro, was there to present the film and take questions following its debut. The filmmakers were also giving away one version of the movie poster, a simple white poster with the words “Who is John Galt?” scribbled on them. I didn’t manage to get my hands on the poster, but if I were you grab one if you get the opportunity. It is a part of history.

The film surprised me immediately when it uncovered the setting in the 2010′s. As timeless as Ayn Rand’s novel was, I personally lived in the mid 20th century while reading it. If you can imagine the differences this would play in understanding the world around the characters, you can understand the shock after this discovery.

The film will be a trilogy. The filmmakers announced at the screening that the following parts will come year by year: Part II – April 2012 & Part III April 2013. Sounds like forever, huh? Let’s remember it does take a few weeks to read about 1100 page book (and that’s tackling a heavy load each day). If you have read the novel you know cramming a 1/3 of its events into a 90-minute film would be difficult. The budget is also modest for this film (about $10 mil), so as you complain about waiting for years to finally complete the Atlas Shrugged film experience, realize funding has much to do with its timeliness and quality.

I had two comments on Part I:

Atlas Shrugged enthusiasts, don’t be shaken by the modern style of the world around the film. Also if you see this film with an Atlas “Virgin” be ready to do a lot of explaining or catching them up in the first half of the film. The filmmakers introduce a lot of characters in a short amount of time. Even you may find yourself trying to remember all of the business owners that are introduced. If I were to quiz you now would you remember who Owen Kellogg was?

Atlas Shrugged “Virgins”, Although I strongly recommend reading the book, if you do see the film first…or only the film, pay CLOSE attention. Reading the book gives you a sense of familiarity with scenes. It may not even hurt to take notes on the characters introduced because some of their on screen time is brief but VERY significant. Also, it may not hurt to watch it more than once…it’ll make up for not reading the book.

All in all the film encapsulated the world of Ayn Rand’s mind and this is a hard duty to achieve considering the overwhelming success of the novel. I found most characters were represented well in the film and the acting was superb for being talent you may have never heard of. Tyler Schilling (Dagny Taggart) gives a heart-felt, feminine performance. I personally envisioned Dagny a little more rough around the edges, however it was pointed out shortly after I expressed this that my vision of Dagny was probably based on Ayn Rand’s appearance herself. Boy were they right!

Special effects in the film were very well done and creativity exuded from the screen. The release date for Atlas Shrugged: Part I is set for April 15, in 50 theaters across the country. Check your local listings to see if it is coming close to you. The experience was unforgettable to see such a groundbreaking novel turned into a form of media that all can enjoy and consume. I wish the filmmakers the best of luck and encourage everyone to see the film!

http://menckens-ghost.blogspot.com/2011/02/atlas-shrugged-part-i-good-bad-and-ugly.html

Last night, I attended an advanced screening of Atlas Shrugged Part I at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. The film is scheduled for "wide" release on April 15.

Prior to the screening, the film's producers, Harmon Kaslow and John Aglialoro, explained that, about a year ago, their eighteen-year option for the rights to produce a cinematic adaptation of Ayn Rand's unique, polarizing, and perennially successful novel (yearly sales peaked in 2009, the latest year figures are available, at 500,000 copies) were about to expire. With no script and funding that was, to be magnanimous, inadequate, the producers scurried to begin principal photography, commencing two days before their rights were about to expire.

The filmic results are what one would expect from such a predicament.

The resultant film is not completely without merit, and the producers and filmmakers doubtless labored with the best of intentions. But this desperate world needs a better adaptation of this timelier-than-ever dithyramb to reason and exaltation of man, or none. It does not need this.

The Good:

First: there is no denying or ignoring the source material. It, contrary to its countless conventional critics, is unimpeachable. At its best moments, seeing these characters and dramatic events reified onscreen can only be empowering to any fan of the novel, especially those who are also enthusiasts of cinema. There is unquestionably a paucity of romanticism (not to mention liberty and capitalism) in today's screen, and what romanticism exists is of the superficial, modern detective story variety.

Few, if any, besides Ayn Rand have created characters like Hank Rearden and Dagny Taggart, and those screenwriters of our day who are compelled to are not likely to get past the pitch meeting stage. And it is not easy to produce a film with this core story completely devoid of merit. However, the excellence of the novel is a blessing and a curse as it sets a higher bar, and more demanding objectives (if you'll pardon the pun), for its adapters.

Atlas Shrugged Part I is an illustrative example of that fact. Considering that problem, though, an admirer of the novel (or anyone adrift in this culture, ravenous for romanticism in general) may well tolerate the film's shortcomings to experience intransigent, independent characters like Ellis Wyatt and scenes like the triumphant opening of the John Galt Line onscreen for fleeting moments.

tcrb
3/3/2011, 07:21 PM
I only have one word for the book: Overrated. There are millions that would disagree with me though.

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2011, 07:27 PM
I love the book and take a lot of it to heart, but I don't fully buy into objectivism.

I'm totally stoked for the movie though. I've been waiting a long time for this to be released, but it looks like it was sort of cheaply made which worries me.

My Opinion Matters
3/3/2011, 08:03 PM
I only have one word for the book: Overrated. There are millions that would disagree with me though.

You're right. The book is actually sort of terrible.

tcrb
3/3/2011, 08:37 PM
You're right. The book is actually sort of terrible.

But it was required reading. Maybe the movie will be better. :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
3/3/2011, 09:14 PM
I just cheat and read Terry Goodkind's "Rand lite" in the Sword of Truth.

SoonerStormchaser
3/3/2011, 09:18 PM
I read "Anthem" in 10th grade...that's as much of Ayn Rand as I'm gonna stomach in this lifetime.

If I wanna know more about what she was talking about, I'll just listen to all the early Rush albums.

Crucifax Autumn
3/3/2011, 09:24 PM
I'm far too subjective to be objective.

GDC
3/3/2011, 11:44 PM
I liked the movie version of The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper.

Crucifax Autumn
3/4/2011, 04:47 AM
I liked the one with Cytherea.

Oddly she's from Utah and every Utah chick I've ever banged has been a massive squirter too.

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 12:42 PM
The novels were hackneyed and overwrought. Her philosophy was outlined in too little depth.
The basis of her thinking, though, is absolutely transcendent: that the individual counts more than any collective and that the true measure of person is what they can accomplish on their own.
Coming from a person who'd lived through the opening stanzas in the horror show that was the Soviet Union, it would be surprising if her views were not a bit black and white.

virginiasooner
3/4/2011, 01:35 PM
The novels were hackneyed and overwrought. Her philosophy was outlined in too little depth.
The basis of her thinking, though, is absolutely transcendent: that the individual counts more than any collective and that the true measure of person is what they can accomplish on their own.
Coming from a person who'd lived through the opening stanzas in the horror show that was the Soviet Union, it would be surprising if her views were not a bit black and white.

Ayn Rand's philosophy may be "transcendent" but her behavior is that of a hypocrite. For someone who condemned the "collective", she deigned to collect Social Security at the end of her life.

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 01:43 PM
Bioshock was a ****ty game.

Caboose
3/4/2011, 02:19 PM
Ayn Rand's philosophy may be "transcendent" but her behavior is that of a hypocrite. For someone who condemned the "collective", she deigned to collect Social Security at the end of her life.

Did she pay into social security?

I bitch and moan and call for the abolishment of social security all the time.... but I am still forced to pay into it. And when I am of age, if it still exists, I will collect from it. There is nothing hypocritical about it.

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 02:52 PM

And she also drove on public roads rather than blazing trails through the wilderness. For all I know, she listened to public radio, too. Damn her eyes!

Apparently you feel that anyone who uses public utilities, for instance, should forever tug the forelock to whatever sort of 'government authority' chooses to exert itself. If so, I am sorry. If not, I'm sorry to have slurred you.

Her base point is much simpler: the individual is the basis of society, society is not the fundamental unit of human organization. From that flows many implications. It is some sort of litmus test in terms of personal political philosophy, however.

virginiasooner
3/4/2011, 05:13 PM
Apparently you feel that anyone who uses public utilities, for instance, should forever tug the forelock to whatever sort of 'government authority' chooses to exert itself. If so, I am sorry. If not, I'm sorry to have slurred you.

If you want government services (like roads), stop whining about having to pay for them. I like my beef free of mad cow, my water free of amoebic dysentery and perchlorate, my rye bread free of ergot, and eggs free of e.coli. These are the sorts of things, big and small, that "government" does. That's not bowing to government authority -- that's government doing its proper job of protecting Average Joe from the multinational corporation that is out to screw you out of your last dollar.

Aldebaran
3/4/2011, 05:18 PM
She also obsessed over a serial killer because he was the perfect example of a self interested individual. That's a little screwed up. And by a little, I mean a lotta.

yermom
3/4/2011, 05:25 PM
the sequel looks interesting.

http://www.angryflower.com/atlass.gif

DIB
3/4/2011, 05:26 PM
If you want government services (like roads), stop whining about having to pay for them. I like my beef free of mad cow, my water free of amoebic dysentery and perchlorate, my rye bread free of ergot, and eggs free of e.coli. These are the sorts of things, big and small, that "government" does. That's not bowing to government authority -- that's government doing its proper job of protecting Average Joe from the multinational corporation that is out to screw you out of your last dollar.

It sounds like you are saying that if you are ok with a small amount of government, then you cannot be opposed to a large amount of government. That is quite the fallacy. The choice is not between government or no government, it is merely the balance between the individual and government. What degree of government interference is too much?

Caboose
3/4/2011, 05:26 PM

When are you going to get to the part where you explain how Rand was a hypocrite.

Sooner5030
3/4/2011, 05:27 PM

what about 44 million on foodstamps? or 15% on disability? I haven't seen alot of folks complaining about roads, or the basic services provided at the state or local level.

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 05:33 PM

I also like the right to buy and do things that some people in my government might feel are things I should not be doing. (and before you jump to conclusions, these things can be as mundane as processing and eating my own gourmet food items if I so choose....or perhaps importing them (Iberico ham, whole milk cheeses, etc, for example). There is a natural tendency in any governing body to amass more and more power to themselves (afterall, we are all somewhat guilty of believing our own judgement to be the best). It is an excellent idea to remind government on a periodic basis that they are subordinant to the people and need to act like it. That's one reason we have a bill of rights.

All of which will be lost on 'the greater good for the greater number' crowd.

KantoSooner
3/4/2011, 05:36 PM
Oh, and by the way, if Ayn Rand was hypocritical for getting her own social security money back, what can we say about people who carp about MNCs and then take advantage of the low-cost, globally sourced goods that all of us except survivalists enjoy today?

yermom
3/4/2011, 05:39 PM
after looking around a bit, she said that people shouldn't take help like that, but then did it herself... under a different name

King Crimson
3/5/2011, 07:15 AM
there are so many other "thinkers" who are more interesting than Rand.

woowoo, the triumph of the individual....that's a wack *** radical theme. and you can get it minus the weird hate....

Ike
3/5/2011, 02:08 PM
The sooner we can get a large number of wall street execs to "go Galt", the better. I'm sure plenty of other people will be happy to cause economic panic for salaries like that.