PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Creates his own Hollywood

OK2U
3/3/2011, 12:00 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else, good article...

Stoops has helped bring glitz to Oklahoma sans Hollywood

NORMAN, Okla. -- Pete Carroll's shout-out -- such as it was -- is more than six years old now. Bob Stoops still loves telling the story.
"One of the best compliments I ever got," Oklahoma's coach said.
It was at one of those grip-and-grin luncheons before the BCS title game in the 2005 Orange Bowl. USC was in the middle of a dynasty. Oklahoma (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/OK/oklahoma-sooners) was more than familiar with the label. Two equals had resurrected winning traditions in different ways.
"I'm looking at your guys," Stoops remembers Carroll as saying, "Where do you get [them]? I don't care what you say, you're still in Oklahoma. I've got Hollywood to recruit to."
There has always been that about Oklahoma. It is a state of only 3.5 million people. And, in an age where such things count, only 1.2 million television households. It isn't the only football power in a rural state. Far from it. But something had always sustained the program, whether it had been Bud Wilkinson's monopoly, Barry Switzer's swagger or Stoops' renewal.
USC's former coach, then, couldn't possibly understand that Stoops has his own Hollywood. It, too, is a place where recruits want to be and coaches settle into, but in a much different way than Carroll's Southern California. It all resides near I-35, a mostly inglorious interstate that connects Duluth, Minn. to Laredo, Texas. Tucked away along that stretch of highway that runs near here is the Stoops family's new home. If you have the time to see it, you too can pull off I-35 for a few minutes. It's not too near the fast food joints, hotels and the infamous Big Red Motors that once employed the equally infamous OU quarterback Rhett Bomar (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2006-08-02-oklahoma-bomar-dismissed_x.htm). The dream-home opulence suggests permanence. The owner suggests otherwise.
"People think I'm going to stay because of a house," Stoops said heading into his 13th season. "Everybody can sell a house. Coaches sell houses every year whether they're fired or moving. It's an attractive piece of property ... [but] the last thing I’m going to do is tie myself to a house."
There likely will be gasps all throughout Oklahoma over those statements. Stoops' name continues to come up for virtually every big job that opens up. When Charlie Weis left Notre Dame in late 2009, the school had to put out three different press releases to get the point across. Stoops wasn't interested. When Urban Meyer left Florida (again) in December, OU's sports information department didn't bother. They considered it redundant.
Stoops wasn't interested (again).
What ties the 50-year-old coach to Norman, then, is not a house. It's being at home. It's the job itself. It's a good one. He wins. Nobody messes with him. Upper management hasn't changed in his 12 seasons. The AD who hired him in one of the most brilliant coaching finds ever, Joe Castiglione, is still entrenched. Stoops has the same president, David Boren.
"Though we've had success here I don't ever act like I have to throw my weight around," the coach said. "Whatever we do, I check with my bosses."
All of it suggests lifer status for a man half a century old, and a dozen years into the job of a lifetime. The son of a coach from Ohio, who played at Iowa, then cut his coaching teeth at Kansas State and Florida, has become the greatest coach on the Great Plains. Unless the bottom falls out, which -- unlike Texas in 2010 -- hasn't happened yet, there really isn't any reason to look around.
With Texas trying to dig out from under that 5-7 season and Nebraska headed to the Big Ten, there is suddenly an opening big enough to drive a Sooner Schooner through. Oklahoma is set to dominate, at least the Big 12, for years to come. What's left of the Big 12 North now has to play the Sooners every year instead of two out of every four. The nagging hurdle of Stoops having to prove himself in a conference championship game is gone, too.
Maybe that's why there were a lot of smiles around the football offices in late February. Sloppy, goofy smiles. One poll or another is most likely going to have Oklahoma as a preseason No. 1. Not a huge deal here but the staff seems to sense it.
"That's how we are," the coach said. "You'd see it [smiles] every year. We're not smiling because we're preseason whatever."
The happy faces have to signal something. OU hasn't been a preseason No. 1 in the major polls since 2003, yet leads the nation with 20 weekly appearances in the BCS at No. 1. It has started each season since 2001 ranked in the top 10 but has never followed up that 2000 national title under Stoops. "Big Game Bob" went from a term of endearment to one of derision. Every school should have such problems. The coach broke a personal five-game BCS bowl losing streak by beating Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl.
Going into 2011, there is another Heisman-quality quarterback. Landry Jones has thrown a combined 64 touchdowns the past two seasons. Two of the team's best players ignored the NFL to come back -- receiver Ryan Broyles and linebacker Travis Lewis. There are 17 starters returning from the sixth Stoops team to win at least 12 games.
A year ago Stoops welcomed what he says is his best freshman class ever. The coach couldn't contain himself, calling the 29 first-year players into a room at the end of two-a-days. The message: I've never seen this many players ready to play.
"That talk was before the season," Stoops said. "Look what they did after."
Safety Tony Jefferson was Big 12 Co-Defensive Freshman of the Year as well as a freshman All-American. Kenny Stills caught 61 passes. Fullback Trey Millard joined his two teammates in becoming a regular starter.
Only one other active Division I-A coach (Ohio State's Jim Tressel) has won more often than Stoops. Of the 14 guys ahead of him all-time in winning percentage, only eight have stayed at one school as a head coach. Two of them are named Wilkinson and Switzer. That's proof there may be no better college job in America -- at least for a guy with a national championship and seven conference titles in those 12 seasons.
"There's a bunch of guys in the NFL that probably would like to have this job. People don't realize this is one of those destination jobs," said Stoops, who constantly hears the negative recruiters in his head.
"It isn't on a coast? It isn't in some major metroplex?"
It is that alternate Hollywood. I-35 is glitzy here because it runs south all the way through Texas. For years that recruiting mother road has transported generation after generation of Texans -- future Sooners -- to Norman. Texas talent is what has sustained Oklahoma. No surprise except that three coaches tried and failed post-Switzer. Seven of Stoops' 24 All-Americans claimed by the school are from Texas. When the 2010 season began, half the 22 starters were from the Lone Star State. There is no Oklahoma success without Texas talent.
Who needs Hollywood when you've got Adrian Peterson, pride of Palestine, Texas?
Scores of programs thrive in rural states -- Alabama, Nebraska etc. But at a time when mighty OU was becoming a steppingstone gig, Stoops added that permanence. The school spent nine years sifting through Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger and John Blake. Oklahoma's football fortunes have been nothing but gold since that 2000 championship season.
"He made this a destination job," Castiglione said of his coach.
The AD won't say if his Notre Dame counterpart Jack Swarbrick called to get permission to talk to his coach 14 months ago. Over the years, Castiglione says he has gotten formal calls "eight to 10 [times], maybe." It doesn't matter, really. There are ways to make contact with a coach without calling his boss. The key is to stay ahead of that clandestine contact.
"I've always said if an institution just starts thinking about expressing their interest in [their] coach when the threat is there, it's too late," Castiglione said.
The fact that Stoops is well-compensated has been dissected to death. He'll make a reported $4.875 million this season. That's top five in the country. That should get you peace of mind, Sooner Heads. You're getting your money's worth. That's NFL-level jack for a guy who could leave for the pros tomorrow. Consider it a misstep missed. Two guys named Spurrier and Saban took that NFL shot. It is a small but important sample size, considering their current wealth and happiness at their rebound jobs.
They're not anywhere near Hollywood either.

jumperstop
3/3/2011, 12:17 PM
Good read, I always get a laugh at that "Howard that old drunk" marco

Octavian
3/3/2011, 12:40 PM
Great article by Dodd -- although the underlying message seems to be "It's amazing that such a great coach would choose to stay there."

I dunno, I just don't understand. Been a lot of places....and Norman is a wonderful place to live. Not surprisingbly...it's been rated as such. OKC is a clean, friendly city where you can do just about anything you could anywhere else. For such an "awful" place -- we seem to have an amazing track record. In fact, better than any other program since Hitler pulled the trigger.

Something doesn't add up in his story.

Even in this article (which is really good) Dodd fails to make a distinction between Joe 6-pack living in Norman/OKC (a metroplex of well over a million people....much bigger than any other B12 campus area sans Austin) and the head football coach of the Oklahoma Sooners living in Norman/OKC.

If you're the latter...and you win....you can't possibly find a better situation. Especially if you're a family oriented man who concentrates most of his time on matters relating to football. Norman/OKC is a football heaven...and great coaches are treated like gods.

Look at the history of our coaches -- they don't voluntarily leave OU. They've either passed on (JM), were fired pretty quickly (Gomer, Garry, Howie, Boo) or they stayed until they either retired or were forced out (Bud, Switz). Fairbanks is the only coach to have prematurely left OU....and that was 40 years and 4 NC's ago.

Last nitpick: There's a leap in logic re: Texas talent that Dodd doesn't follow up on.

He writes:

Texas talent is what has sustained Oklahoma. No surprise except that three coaches tried and failed post-Switzer. Seven of Stoops' 24 All-Americans claimed by the school are from Texas.

So....17 of 24 are not from Texas? Well that really complicates his broad brush strokes narrative doesn't it?

Bob's 2 Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks were from where? That RB that just broke the school record for TDs came from where? Our all-everything TE first round draft pick came from where? Our awesome freshman safety this year is from where? Our returning QB...and our All-American WR....are from where?

Point is -- OU is a national program. Of course it helps to have such a talent rich recruiting hotbed on our southern doorstep. Always has. But that's not the whole story....and Dodd's own numbers should have prompted him away from just churning out a lazy and familiar narrative as unquestioned fact.

But that's really just nitpicking -- it's a good article. Stoops is worth every dime.

Soonerjeepman
3/3/2011, 12:54 PM
Last nitpick: There's a leap in logic re: Texas talent that Dodd doesn't follow up on.

He writes:

So....17 of 24 are not from Texas? Well that really complicates his broad brush strokes narrative doesn't it?

Bob's 2 Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks were from where? That RB that just broke the school record for TDs came from where? Our all-everything TE first round draft pick came from where? Our awesome freshman safety this year is from where? Our returning QB...and our All-American WR....are from where?

Point is -- OU is a national program. Of course it helps to have such a talent rich recruiting hotbed on our southern doorstep. Always has. But that's not the whole story....and Dodd's own numbers should have prompted him away from just churning out a lazy and familiar narrative as unquestioned fact.

But that's really just nitpicking -- it's a good article. Stoops is worth every dime.

exactly what I first thought...guess he flunked ele school fractions...

7/24 < 17/24...but what do I know...:confused:

texaspokieokie
3/3/2011, 01:22 PM
Octavian;
are you saying Bud was forced out ???

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 01:23 PM
nm

texaspokieokie
3/3/2011, 01:24 PM
OIC you're saying Bud retired.

misread your post

jumperstop
3/3/2011, 01:33 PM
Nm

oudavid1
3/3/2011, 02:40 PM
"Everybody can sell a house. Coaches sell houses every year whether they're fired or moving. It's an attractive piece of property ... [but] the last thing I’m going to do is tie myself to a house."

Gee thanks Bob.

I hope he stays another 10 years. But i dont see him going any farther than that.

AlboSooner
3/3/2011, 05:46 PM
"I've always said if an institution just starts thinking about expressing their interest in [their] coach when the threat is there, it's too late," Castiglione said.

I love the Consigliere.

badger
3/3/2011, 06:09 PM
Good read, I always get a laugh at that "Howard that old drunk" marco

It involves spelling Smelloburbon correctly.

Schnellenburger? Shnellenberger? Schnellllllllllllllllllll...eff it

Spray
3/3/2011, 06:09 PM
exactly what I first thought...guess he flunked ele school fractions...

7/24 < 17/24...but what do I know...:confused:

Or you could say that 17/24 are from the other 49 states. 7/24 from one state is a pretty big ratio.

MyT Oklahoma
3/3/2011, 07:35 PM
Great read. Thanks for sharing.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/4/2011, 09:23 AM
This to me is point number UNO when idiots post that it "might be time for Bob to go" or that Stoops "may have lost some of his drive"

There are plenty of good X's and O's guys out there. There are tons of intense motivators on the sideline and Bob is good at both of those.

But who can lead a team of talent closers like Bob Stoops? Putting the great talent on the field is the first ingredient to year in and year out success.

Whether its is bravado, his "cockiness" , his on field demeanor, his philosophies, or just his sales pitch...Coach Stoops has created a recruiting machine in small town USA. Don't get me wrong, i love Norman Oklahoma...but there are SO many other places that would be more exciting destinations.

I know plenty of it has to do with a great football history...but look at Notre Dame.

I know there are others who can recruit well or as good...but none better

BigTip
3/4/2011, 01:06 PM
Not every high school football standout wants to go to Hollywood. A lot of high school kids are nervous about leaving the security of a small high school to go to a big college. That fear might be compounded by going to a big city as well. "Come to Norman. Focus on football and college." It is not that hard a sell.

This was a great read. I giggled with glee several times.

One national championship......with several close calls. That one win wasn't because of once in a lifetime magic.

mightysooner
3/4/2011, 05:39 PM
Great article by Dodd -- although the underlying message seems to be "It's amazing that such a great coach would choose to stay there."

I dunno, I just don't understand. Been a lot of places....and Norman is a wonderful place to live. Not surprisingly...it's been rated as such. OKC is a clean, friendly city where you can do just about anything you could anywhere else. For such an "awful" place -- we seem to have an amazing track record. In fact, better than any other program since Hitler pulled the trigger.

OKC is far from being a city where you can "do just about anything you could anywhere else." If your definition is based simply upon going to school, getting married, having kids, and settling down in the burbs then I'll buy that statement. Other than that, OKC offers minimal to zero choices for quality of life offered by bigger cities in more industrious states with more diverse terrains.

As for Okies being "friendly", I've never agreed with that entirely. We Okies aren't "friendly". We're socially "polite". Open, we are not.

yankee
3/4/2011, 06:03 PM
OKC is far from being a city where you can "do just about anything you could anywhere else." If your definition is based simply upon going to school, getting married, having kids, and settling down in the burbs then I'll buy that statement. Other than that, OKC offers minimal to zero choices for quality of life offered by bigger cities in more industrious states with more diverse terrains.

+1

OKC and Tulsa combined have nothing on many major metro areas in the U.S.

the_ouskull
3/4/2011, 07:26 PM
Or you could say that 17/24 are from the other 49 states. 7/24 from one state is a pretty big ratio.

I've been reading Reddit too much. I just tried to upvote your post.

the_ouskull

stoopified
3/4/2011, 07:37 PM
This writer apparently uses NEW math when he talks bout OU floundering for NINE seasons under Gibs(6 seasons) That old drunk(1 season) Blake(three seasons).Where I grew up (Oklahoma) that adds up to 10 years.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/4/2011, 09:06 PM
This writer apparently uses NEW math when he talks bout OU floundering for NINE seasons under Gibs(6 seasons) That old drunk(1 season) Blake(three seasons).Where I grew up (Oklahoma) that adds up to 10 years.

It seemed like 30

StoopTroup
3/6/2011, 12:53 PM
You folks can pick that apart until your eyes bleed but the one message is clear....

Bob and Joe like their jobs.

Jason Alexander
3/7/2011, 04:16 PM
91 was a decent year.

Salt City Sooner
3/7/2011, 04:50 PM
As was '93 (that was the year of those Texas State Champs shirts).

MamaMia
3/8/2011, 03:04 AM
There's a bunch of guys in the NFL that probably would like to have this job. People don't realize this is one of those destination jobs," said Stoops These words give me peace of mind. :)