PDA

View Full Version : If not Capel, then who?

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 11:31 AM
Ok, who would be on your short list if you were Joe and decided Jeff must go?

Just curious, I haven't thought about it deeply.

Who would want the job?

Who would we go after?

NormanPride
3/3/2011, 11:32 AM
Jim the Janitor would at least be a change. Then I would at least not feel cheated and like the administration doesn't care.

oumartin
3/3/2011, 11:36 AM
I hear Kelvin is available. As bad as it pains me to say I am missing him.

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 11:43 AM
Same here on Kelvin, hated the crappy offense but at least we played D, rebounded, and won games -> went to the tourney. And overall, had decent talent. He was great at finding diamonds in the rough who fit his style.

Soonerjeepman
3/3/2011, 11:45 AM
Wichita State guy...maybe...seems to have a few decent seasons...

obviously we have to go after a mid major successful coach or a lower D1...my buddy wants Billy Gillispi (sp?)

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 11:51 AM
Billy is rumored to replace Pat Knight at Texas Tech.

But I think he would do a great job.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2011, 12:01 PM
Joe Dooley up at Kansas
Greg Gard from Wisconsin

badger
3/3/2011, 12:03 PM
Billy is rumored to replace Pat Knight at Texas Tech.

Oh man if we lost Billy to Tech... while his commentary has been quirky at times for mens and womens games, it has been fun having him back. Like NP said on another thread, he makes mens games fun to watch.

Kelvin's winning might be missed, but the whole NCAA rules thing is something Boren and Joe C. are now sticklers for... you can rule out anyone with a bad track record... the Bruce Pearls, the Kelvins, etc.

I think there are many young and bright coaching minds out there that would love the chance to move into a big conference Div. 1 program... but that's exactly why we hired Jeff Capel. How can we be guaranteed that we won't be replacing Jeff with another Jeff if the idea is to go a different direction?

Thus... I am once again in the minority opinion on this. Jeff has to stay another season to try to right the ship. He has not earned it, he does not deserve it, we are just going to gift it to him.

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 12:29 PM
Joe Holladay from UNC?

soonervegas
3/3/2011, 12:31 PM
Let's stay away from the Coach K tree....it's rotten. We need to hit the Izzo tree.

Doug Wojcik anyone? He has Tulsa working on their 5 straight 20 win season and he is right down the street.

But it might be better just to wait a year and let Tech hire him, then we can be 10th in the Big 12 pecking order.

cdlbdd
3/3/2011, 12:44 PM
Johnny Jones from UNT gets my vote.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2011, 12:47 PM
Doug Wojcik anyone? He has Tulsa working on their 5 straight 20 win season and he is right down the street.

No way I want Wojcik....Not that I think he is a bad coach...I just think OU could do better...

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 12:57 PM
If you listen to Tulsa Commercial Animal, it sounds like a large part of the fanbase want Doug W. canned. Even though he has done a decent job.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah he has done ok.....But I think Tulsa is a good place for him...

TheHumanAlphabet
3/3/2011, 01:23 PM
Somebody that can coach?

BillyBall
3/3/2011, 02:10 PM
Billy Gillispi (sp?)

This is who I would want.

badger
3/3/2011, 02:44 PM
This is who I would want.

Only if BCG is cleaned up from previous alcohol problems. He's been DUI'd three times. After all the grief Pokey endured for the Suttons, I don't want to go through the same thing.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/3/2011, 02:55 PM
Somebody that can coach?

We should look to Soonerfans.com then. There seems to be plenty of coaches on here...

BillyBall
3/3/2011, 03:34 PM
Only if BCG is cleaned up from previous alcohol problems. He's been DUI'd three times.

Just shows how productive he is.

yankee
3/3/2011, 03:38 PM
Oh man if we lost Billy to Tech... while his commentary has been quirky at times for mens and womens games, it has been fun having him back. Like NP said on another thread, he makes mens games fun to watch.

I think he was talking about BCG, not Tubbs.

yankee
3/3/2011, 03:43 PM
Buzz Williams, the Marquette coach, has his name being thrown around a lot on ouhoops.com...He's actually from the area, Texas I believe, and graduated from Oklahoma City University. However, I doubt we could get him IF Capel is fired. He's got a great job at a fantastic basketball-crazy school...Joe C would have to pony up the monies big time. Other names I've heard a lot: Gregg Marshall, head coach at Wichita State and Terry Evans, head coach at UCO.

I've been a Capel supporter this entire season, constantly defending him. But these bad losses are starting to take a toll. I hate them. I don't know if a coaching change would be a good thing, simply from the standpoint that it might set us back even farther for a while. So here I am, I'm torn on what I think should be done.

badger
3/3/2011, 03:50 PM
I think he was talking about BCG, not Tubbs.

lol... i thought billy was retired too, but i guess never say never! :D

So long as we had his contract in ink (problem at UK), signed him up for enough time to get his roots in Norman (problem at UTEP and A&M) and there was a sobriety/no-arrest-for-DUI/alcohol treatment program clause in his contract (problem everywhere), I'd be willing to give him another shot.

I think he got a raw deal at UK, even with the 2009 arrest. Because he left Texas A&M after taking them to the Sweet 16, we would have a natural rivalry already.

But... does Billy want to come here if offered? Is Joe C. even remotely considering replacing Jeff?

PhiDeltBeers
3/3/2011, 03:55 PM
Heck, bring Tubby Smith back to this state!

OU_Sooners75
3/3/2011, 04:12 PM
Not exactly sure who would want the job, even though the OU basketball program has historically been a top 15-20 program.

Who should we go after? Good question.

Who would I go after if I was JoeC (no particular order)

Jim Larranaga of George Mason
Gregg Marshall of Wichita State
Brad Stevens of Butler
Randy Bennett of St. Mary's
Jay Wright of Villanova
Lon Kruger of UNLV
Al Skinner of Boston College

OU_Sooners75
3/3/2011, 04:17 PM
I've been a Capel supporter this entire season, constantly defending him. But these bad losses are starting to take a toll. I hate them. I don't know if a coaching change would be a good thing, simply from the standpoint that it might set us back even farther for a while. So here I am, I'm torn on what I think should be done.

Im in the same boat as you are.

Sucks...I support Capel, but these bad losses are just not helping any.

OUstud
3/3/2011, 04:33 PM
Not exactly sure who would want the job, even though the OU basketball program has historically been a top 15-20 program.

Who should we go after? Good question.

Who would I go after if I was JoeC (no particular order)

Jim Larranaga of George Mason No
Gregg Marshall of Wichita State Yes
Brad Stevens of Butler No way will this happen
Randy Bennett of St. Mary's Doubt he'd leave, but I'd be good with this. He seems to have finally fielded a program that can compete with and beat Gonzaga in the WCC.
Jay Wright of Villanova haha
Lon Kruger of UNLV probably wouldn't leave Vegas
Al Skinner of Boston College No longer their coach because he sucked.

I'd also add Chris Mack from Xavier and Ron Everhart from Duquesne.

royalfan5
3/3/2011, 07:07 PM
Just hire Billy Clyde and a driver. It ain't that ****ing hard.

oumartin
3/3/2011, 09:29 PM
Pretty sure Jay Wright already said no..

The Butler coach would work for me.

pappy
3/3/2011, 09:46 PM
The coach of the div 2 team that hosts the maui invitational every year...He's a really good coach...he doesn't get out coached in those games when he loses its b/c of the talent level of the tournament.

bigfatjerk
3/4/2011, 12:17 AM
I'ld take Terry Evans.

birddog
3/4/2011, 09:35 AM
I'ld take Terry Evans.

yeah, this is who i thought of. he should be pretty seasoned by now.

OUmillenium
3/4/2011, 10:46 AM
Terry Evans would bring an exciting style of play

TheHumanAlphabet
3/4/2011, 11:30 AM
Terry Evans

Is this the former OU player?

yankee
3/4/2011, 11:34 AM
Is this the former OU player?

Yup.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/4/2011, 11:35 AM
Sounds good to me...

Maybe Billy Tubbs will come out of retirement to relight the fire...;)

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 11:39 AM
I'd also add Chris Mack from Xavier and Ron Everhart from Duquesne.

Did not know about Al Skinner being fired...I thought he had a couple of good years....tells you how much I follow other teams. :mad:

LiveLaughLove
3/4/2011, 12:31 PM
Anybody that has a pulse could get the wins we've gotten the last two years so it doesn't really matter who.

NMSooner'80
3/4/2011, 12:33 PM
I keep thinking about another ex-OU player named Terry - that's Terry Stotts, the former NBA head coach. He's an assistant with the Dallas Mavs. I don't know if he'd be interested or not, but ought to at least have a little "cred" from being in the "league."

Eielson
3/4/2011, 02:19 PM
If we believe that Capel was a mistake, then when selecting a new coach, we need to learn from that. We went after a young coach who had moderate success at a mid-major. Why are people listing other young coaches at mid-majors that have had moderate success as possible replacements?

I don't have time until maybe next week, but I'd be interested in looking into successful hires and unsuccessful hires. For instance, Rick Pitino and Roy Williams were great hires for Louisville and North Carolina. Both had great success at other big schools (Kentucky and Kansas), and were older, more experienced coaches. Of course, we wouldn't be able to bring in a coach like that at this time, but that's just an example. My bigger questions would be, how well do head coaches from mid-majors, assistant coaches from major schools (or mid-major), coaches at a level other than NCAA DI, etc. do as head coaches at major programs. Can anybody shed some light on that?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/4/2011, 02:23 PM
Thats why the 2 guys I listed are assistants at 2 good basketball programs(Wisky and KU) who are experienced..Gard I think has been at Wisconsin for over 15 years I think...Dooley at KU for 7 or 8...guys that know what they are doing, they just haven't taken the next step

Eielson
3/4/2011, 02:30 PM
Thats why the 2 guys I listed are assistants at 2 good basketball programs(Wisky and KU) who are experienced..Gard I think has been at Wisconsin for over 15 years I think...Dooley at KU for 7 or 8...guys that know what they are doing, they just haven't taken the next step

In theory that makes sense, and I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I'd just like to see examples of when that's actually been done, and how it turned out. What successful coaches in the NCAA did well on their first head coaching job?

Mad Dog Madsen
3/4/2011, 02:36 PM
John Calipari.

Eielson
3/4/2011, 02:38 PM
John Calipari.

No...for a million reasons.

Eielson
3/4/2011, 02:43 PM
I have a little time, so just looking at a few of the best coaches in the NCAA...

Coach K - hired after just one coaching job. He was 73-59 at Army before heading to Duke. Took Duke to the NCAA tourney the first year, then had two straight losing seasons after that (10-17 and 11-17). Fourth and fifth years he took them to the NCAA second round, and then fifth year he went 37-3, and has done incredibly ever since. I know he played for Bob Knight, and it doesn't appear he was ever an assistant coach. Is that right?

Tom Izzo - first, and only, head coaching job was at Michigan State. Went to the NIT's the first two years, and then went to the NCAA's every year after. Six final fours and one championship. He coached at a high school, then assistant coach at Northern Michigan, then two months at Tulsa, then was an assistant under Jud Heathcote (Sampson's mentor). He appears to have taken the Michigan State job with no previous head coaching experience (other than high school). Could possible give some credence to the idea of signing an assistant...

I'll look at more later, but I don't have time right now.

yankee
3/4/2011, 03:22 PM
John Calipari.

+1

That guy runs a squeaky clean program. I'd love to watch him clean up our act around here.

soonervegas
3/4/2011, 04:07 PM
If we believe that Capel was a mistake, then when selecting a new coach, we need to learn from that. We went after a young coach who had moderate success at a mid-major. Why are people listing other young coaches at mid-majors that have had moderate success as possible replacements?

I don't have time until maybe next week, but I'd be interested in looking into successful hires and unsuccessful hires. For instance, Rick Pitino and Roy Williams were great hires for Louisville and North Carolina. Both had great success at other big schools (Kentucky and Kansas), and were older, more experienced coaches. Of course, we wouldn't be able to bring in a coach like that at this time, but that's just an example. My bigger questions would be, how well do head coaches from mid-majors, assistant coaches from major schools (or mid-major), coaches at a level other than NCAA DI, etc. do as head coaches at major programs. Can anybody shed some light on that?

I think the real thing we need to stay away from is Coach K proteges. That is what has actually been a pit of dispair for many college programs. I would like to see what you come up with though......mid-major vesus big time assistant.

bigfatjerk
3/4/2011, 04:25 PM
Tubby Smith is the guy I would love OU to get first. You want an experienced guy it's him. Everyone is really second on my wishlist.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 04:29 PM
In theory that makes sense, and I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I'd just like to see examples of when that's actually been done, and how it turned out. What successful coaches in the NCAA did well on their first head coaching job?

You pretty much narrowed every coach out from bein a good candidate...I'll guess if you were JoeC you would just dissolve the men's basketball program since there is no coach out there that would suffice.

Look hiring a head coach is a 50/50 guess. The things that get coaches hired are not their necessary win/loss record (if they have one), but how much they can sell themselves in their interview.

Just because a coach had a good record at one school doesnt mean he will have one at another. And just the opposite, just because a coach may have had a bad record at one school doesn't necessarily mean he will have one at another.

What we need is a disciplinarian coach. Some one that will not be afraid to talk to his players in a blunt manner nor be afraid to discipline them when they screw up even the slightest.

Want to know why Bobby Knight was so successful? Because the players he had listened because he did not care if you were a future #1 pick, you did it his way...and that is the type of coach we need.

I would not say go after Bob Knight...but someone that fits his type of mold, without the anger management issues.

But to answer your question: Sherry Coale has done a hell of a job in her first NCAA HC job...so has Bob Stoops!

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 04:32 PM
I think the real thing we need to stay away from is Coach K proteges. That is what has actually been a pit of dispair for many college programs. I would like to see what you come up with though......mid-major vesus big time assistant.

Many programs? I know of two...Missouri and Oklahoma.

bigfatjerk
3/4/2011, 05:10 PM
Many programs? I know of two...Missouri and Oklahoma.

Michigan had Amaker. Stanford's current coach was a Duke assistant. Capel never actually coached with Coach K

Soonerman82
3/4/2011, 09:33 PM
Mark Few What he's done at Gonzaga is get them in the NCAA Tournament every year.

birddog
3/4/2011, 09:41 PM
got curious about terry evans. great dude.

http://www.bronchosports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=144

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/5/2011, 09:57 AM
I would make a run at Mike Anderson. Not saying he would leave Missouri but maybe if the price is right...

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2011, 10:27 AM
got curious about terry evans. great dude.

http://www.bronchosports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=144

wow....yup...ACADEMIC All Big 8...nice...has degree and a masters, played here, grew-up here......I think he would be a GREAT fit...

Eielson
3/5/2011, 01:06 PM
You pretty much narrowed every coach out from bein a good candidate...I'll guess if you were JoeC you would just dissolve the men's basketball program since there is no coach out there that would suffice.

Was this based on anything I said, or is it just some random statement?

Look hiring a head coach is a 50/50 guess. The things that get coaches hired are not their necessary win/loss record (if they have one), but how much they can sell themselves in their interview.

We're just bound to that percentage no matter what? We should just keep blindly hiring guys, and not look at what made the good hires good and the bad hires bad? I'd personally rather have a coach that wins games, rather than a coach who gives good interviews.

Just because a coach had a good record at one school doesnt mean he will have one at another. And just the opposite, just because a coach may have had a bad record at one school doesn't necessarily mean he will have one at another.

Obviously, but I'd rather have the coach that wins games than the coach who loses games.

I would not say go after Bob Knight...but someone that fits his type of mold, without the anger management issues.

An incredible coach, one of the best ever, who treats his kids like humans. I like that idea, too. I don't see Krzyzewski leaving Duke anytime soon, though.

But to answer your question: Sherry Coale has done a hell of a job in her first NCAA HC job...so has Bob Stoops!

Nice...a women's basketball coach and a football coach.

bigfatjerk
3/5/2011, 01:37 PM
Jeff Capel was already a head coach for about 3 or 4 years before he was hired at OU. This wasn't his first job. He had been to the NCAA Tournament before coming to OU. Won an NCAA Tournament game or two if I'm not mistaken.

SoonerShark
3/6/2011, 08:13 PM
Joe Holladay from UNC?

Great guy. But if I were he I would finish on Roy Williams' staff since he is in Coach Holladay is in his 60s now.

OULenexaman
3/7/2011, 09:17 AM
Frank Martin

LiveLaughLove
3/7/2011, 12:57 PM
Won't happen but Andy Enfield an assistant at Florida State would take the job in a heart beat and would be awesome.

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/enfield_andy00.html

Hope that link works.

His wife is from the OKC area (and was a Maxim model) and they would love to move here. He thinks OU is a much better job than a lot of our own fans seem to think and would love it.

He has many connections in the NBA and is a very good recruiter because of that. Also we could get him for fairly cheap since he is unproven and makes a ton of money from his clinics, and personal tutoring of NBA players.

The guy went to Johns Hopkins so I think he has the brain for being a head coach. Anyway, he would be a long termer since his wife and her faimly are from here.

One last gig, would be her family is big big time OSU people (Amanda used to get to sit right behind Eddie Sutton at games cause he wanted the cameras to see her). It would cause much gnashing of teeth amongst them to have to cheer on OU. Which would be cool too.

Straz1999
3/7/2011, 01:20 PM
Frank Martin

I LOVE this guy, but would never happen.

badger
3/7/2011, 01:38 PM
Joe C. has had very few misses at the head coaches he's brought in recently... most notably was the baseball dude. :eek:

:P no, no, not referring to Sunny, as in "The Sunny Galloway must go" thread and every other firing attempt done by SF.com on the guy since his hiring. I'm referring to:

http://webs.wichita.edu/depttools/DeptToolsMemberFiles/tdms/GeneAd.jpg

Other than that misstep, we have a lot of success at hiring under Joe C:

Martin Smith, the guy who single-handedly resurrected our track and CC programs.

Santiago Restrepo, the guy who single-handedly resurrected our volleyball program.

K.J. Kindler and Mark Williams, who keep our gymnastics programs in contention for national titles.

I know what you're thinking - badger, those are non-revenue sports. Yup... and so is OU men's basketball apparently. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10873)

JohnnyMack
3/7/2011, 02:30 PM
Steve Fisher?

Half a Hundred
3/7/2011, 04:29 PM

You know what I think it is? Coach K runs that Duke program with a tight leash, and what's more, has everyone, from the administration to the boosters, on board with his way of seeing things. So you get these Duke guys, who were all fairly intelligent, playing in a structured system, going out into the rest of college BB thinking that they can just apply the lessons they learned there and become successful.

Then they get out into the chaos that is the rest of college basketball, and then have to deal with boosters who think they run the program, administrations who talk nice about all their sports, but only put up when that sport plays on Saturdays in the fall, and players who are, for lack of a more delicate term, morons.

Not only that, but when that coach tries to sell himself on "when I was at Duke, etc." they fail to realize that most of their players are the ones that were rejected by Duke, and perhaps harbor animosity toward them. Even Capel can't get around the fact that Duke Basketball is associated with rich white kids. Not only that, but Coach K enjoys something rare in college basketball these days - the ability to grow and develop a talented group of kids over the course of three or more years. So they come into a coaching job, and have to deal with a sobering reality - most of the college basketball talent outside of those elite schools consists of AAU knuckleheads who see college as nothing more than a temporary hurdle to cross before they can get paid. Coach K can afford skipping on these players, since he has both a winning program and a top-tier education to offer. For everyone else, beggars can't be choosers.

Finally, they can't seem to fully grasp that outside of North Carolina, Indiana, Kentucky and Kansas, people just don't care about college basketball enough to grant a coach the kind of leeway Krzyzewski enjoys at Duke. Coach K never has to sell himself to anyone other than recruits. Basketball coaches at other schools have to sell themselves and the program all the time. Krzyzewski can push his players harder, because where else are they going to go and get as high of a profile, playing in that atmosphere, earning that degree? Elsewhere, what does it matter to the players which half-empty gym they play in for a year? They've been playing in empty gyms their whole life; eventually, they start to look the same.

badger
3/7/2011, 04:40 PM
You'd think that with everything awesome you said about Coach K, Duke would have gotten:

-Air conditioning in Cameron Indoor before 2002
-A venue built sooner than 70 years ago
-A larger home capacity than 9k

OULenexaman
3/7/2011, 05:30 PM
I LOVE this guy, but would never happen.

I don't know why not....half our football staff has passed through the little apple.:D

Half a Hundred
3/7/2011, 05:54 PM
You'd think that with everything awesome you said about Coach K, Duke would have gotten:

-Air conditioning in Cameron Indoor before 2002
-A venue built sooner than 70 years ago
-A larger home capacity than 9k

Nope, because he doesn't have to.

...sooner
3/7/2011, 05:54 PM
+1

That guy runs a squeaky clean program. I'd love to watch him clean up our act around here.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oumartin
3/7/2011, 09:20 PM
Pat Knight is available.

SoonerGrant
3/7/2011, 10:54 PM
I think we need to go after an assistant at a top-tier basketball school.

opksooner
3/7/2011, 10:55 PM
The guy from Memphis? Passer, Paster.........?

87sooner
3/7/2011, 10:57 PM
The guy from Memphis State? Passer, Paster.........?

pastner would never leave memphis st. to come to norman...

it will be a guy like marshall at wichita st....(a successful mid major).....or possibly gillespie...

OU_Sooners75
3/8/2011, 12:34 AM
See, 87, we can agree on something....Gillespie would be a damn good hire!

So would Marshall.

Soonerjeepman
3/8/2011, 09:09 AM
I'm like Gillespie...but I think TT may pick him up...who knows...

87sooner
3/8/2011, 10:04 AM
I'm like Gillespie...but I think TT may pick him up...who knows...

gillespie would be a huge upgrade over capel...
he wouldn't be my first choice but i would take him if that's the best we could do...
he was in norman watching a game a couple weeks ago..

badger
3/8/2011, 11:57 AM
Oh man, if Billy G goes to Tech, Aggie fans may just find a way in their hearts to hate Tech more :D