PDA

View Full Version : Just watched my first M BB game in a long while...

TheHumanAlphabet
3/3/2011, 09:56 AM
Why did I do that? Man the depths that OU Bball has sunken. It is real sad and they played incredibly ineptly. Something must be done, this is not OU Bball and certainly this is an embarrassment to OU, IMO.

Boomer.....
3/3/2011, 10:02 AM
Last nights exhibition was beyond disgusting. That is probably the worse we have looked. Capel should get the boot after this year.

badger
3/3/2011, 10:03 AM
You tuned into the wrong OU-Tech game this season. Shoulda watched the first one instead. I think I might start the March edition of the opinion poll soon.

NormanPride
3/3/2011, 11:20 AM
Why do we hold Capel to less of a standard than all of our other coaches? I admit that Sherri would get some leeway with a couple of bad seasons after all of her success, but Bob would be gone after two seasons like Texas had this year. Any other coach performing this badly would be gone. Why is Capel special? What makes the men's team get so much cushion for failure? This should never be acceptable at Oklahoma.

Sooner74
3/3/2011, 12:05 PM
The fact that he got screwed with the players all jumping ship. The thing that makes me mad is that he isn't putting forth more effort in bringing in significant talent to raise the bar.

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah, plus Blake was a stud but left after 2 years.

Capel has had a weird time with attrition. Inheriting Sampson's fiasco should garner him a few years of forgiveness.

soonervegas
3/3/2011, 12:24 PM
The Sampson "fiasco" was nothing compared to what Capel has put down. At least Sampson left some talent in the cupboard. Whoever coaches next is getting scraps...

NormanPride
3/3/2011, 12:57 PM
The fact that he got screwed with the players all jumping ship. The thing that makes me mad is that he isn't putting forth more effort in bringing in significant talent to raise the bar.

We're giving him a pass because some recruits bailed on him? He made the Elite 8 after that, so I don't buy it at all. His recruiting has been awful, his retention worse, and his coaching even worse than that.

19-30 in the last ten regular season games of each season. 5-19 if you look at just the last five. That's a symptom of terrible roster management.

OUNASH
3/3/2011, 02:56 PM
I think Capel really doesnt care anymore. It was obvious by the way we played last night. Maybe he knows he is out of here and could give a crap what happens. Time to make a change.

oudavid1
3/3/2011, 03:36 PM
I know ive been one of the Capel guys for the past few weeks. Asking for 1 more year after this one.

After last night.

[Deep sigh, unsure, worried]i dont know. I just dont.[/Deep sigh, unsure, worried]

soonerbub
3/4/2011, 12:34 AM
Yeah, plus Blake was a stud but left after 2 years.

Capel has had a weird time with attrition. Inheriting Sampson's fiasco should garner him a few years of forgiveness.

well this is his 5th year after Kelvin

If (IF!!!) we win Saturday AND are competitive in the 1st tourney game (maybe even win!!) I'll say cool another chance...if not SEE YA

pphilfran
3/4/2011, 08:50 AM
Why do we hold Capel to less of a standard than all of our other coaches? I admit that Sherri would get some leeway with a couple of bad seasons after all of her success, but Bob would be gone after two seasons like Texas had this year. Any other coach performing this badly would be gone. Why is Capel special? What makes the men's team get so much cushion for failure? This should never be acceptable at Oklahoma.

I seriously doubt if he would get the boot for two underperformed years...

oudavid1
3/4/2011, 10:13 AM

at least 4 in my opinion.

At least.

AlboSooner
3/4/2011, 10:19 AM
I always watch OU basketball and realized they were not going to be good this year. I watch them because they are my school, and I love them in the good and bad times.

badger
3/4/2011, 10:50 AM
I always watch OU basketball and realized they were not going to be good this year. I watch them because they are my school, and I love them in the good and bad times.

Same here. I went into every game expecting us to lose, hoping that we wouldn't. When hope won out and we didn't lose, I was so happy for our team. When we lost, I already expected us to, so I was just sad for the team, because it looked like they were trying hard.

Time to kick Pokie's arse. They have spoiled our postseason plans for far too long in other sports (read: football). Time to spoil any postseason plans they may still think that they have by handing them an embarrassing "key loss."

WichitaSooner
3/4/2011, 11:28 AM
Why did I do that? Man the depths that OU Bball has sunken. It is real sad and they played incredibly ineptly. Something must be done, this is not OU Bball and certainly this is an embarrassment to OU, IMO.

How can you be embarrassed when you are quite obviously only an OU football fan?

Just keep NOT watching... even when we get better... still don't watch.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/4/2011, 11:37 AM
How can you be embarrassed when you are quite obviously only an OU football fan?

You owe me an apology...

Don't know how old you are, but you could say that I was OU biggest basketball fan back in the Billy Tubbs days...The moniker should give it away...

LiveLaughLove
3/4/2011, 12:28 PM

Ah, the "I'm a superior fan to you" post.

Love these.

For the ones that have been strong backers of Capel, you don't need to feel bad for being so. How the team has performed is not your fault. It's purely Capel's.

I'm not going to lie and say I have always backed him, because I haven't. From the second game I watched OU play under him, I saw the train wreck coming.

Not saying, I was prescient or any better or worse or whatever. I just saw tell tell alarms in those first two games, that gave me pause on the guy.

I know it's easy to say Blake was the reason for the good seasons. And it is. It just happens to be mostly true also. Not all, but mostly.

The pass he earned for Blake's time quickly got eaten up by the complete and total fiasco of last year, and the continued fiasco of this year. He needs to go. Now. There is NO excuse for what has happened.

I love OU, went there, and during my time there, went to many more basketball games than football games (percentage wise), even though we won a football NC (1985) during my time there. I LOVE OU BASKETBALL.

But I don't love Capel. He gets paid to be at OU. He gets paid to win. He's grossly overpaid.

WichitaSooner
3/4/2011, 01:04 PM
You owe me an apology...

Don't know how old you are, but you could say that I was OU biggest basketball fan back in the Billy Tubbs days...The moniker should give it away...

No you owe me... and other REAL basketball fans an apology for being a band-wagon front runner. SURE you were a fan in the Tubbs days. That was easy...

I've been in my same seats at the LNC through every game THIS year... from start to finish. Just like last year... and every other year, win or lose.

So, please just spare us and keep NOT being a fan when it becomes easy... just like you have when it's hard to be a fan.

I can hear you now.... "Hey, I just noticed we have a basketball team... and it turns out we are bad. What happened?" And YOU want an apology???? Pathetic.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/4/2011, 01:31 PM
No you owe me... and other REAL basketball fans an apology for being a band-wagon front runner. SURE you were a fan in the Tubbs days. That was easy...

I've been in my same seats at the LNC through every game THIS year... from start to finish. Just like last year... and every other year, win or lose.

So, please just spare us and keep NOT being a fan when it becomes easy... just like you have when it's hard to be a fan.

I can hear you now.... "Hey, I just noticed we have a basketball team... and it turns out we are bad. What happened?" And YOU want an apology???? Pathetic.

Listen Bucko! I was in the stands, waiting through snow and sleet storms to see games when Dave Bliss and then Tubbs was coach. I was the guy that stood up on the wall at LNC and spelled out OKLAHOMA and had 3 friends cheering when we didn't even have cheerleaders at the games. I was the guy that Dave Bliss and Billy Tubbs personnally asked that I attend all the games because I did more for Bball and the crowd than anything there...I bounced around with a bloody bandage around my arm when Mizzou came calling after Stepanvich shot himself... My Bball pedigree is much greater than you sitting your butt in a seat.

WichitaSooner
3/4/2011, 01:45 PM
Listen Bucko! I was in the stands, waiting through snow and sleet storms to see games when Dave Bliss and then Tubbs was coach. I was the guy that stood up on the wall at LNC and spelled out OKLAHOMA and had 3 friends cheering when we didn't even have cheerleaders at the games. I was the guy that Dave Bliss and Billy Tubbs personnally asked that I attend all the games because I did more for Bball and the crowd than anything there...I bounced around with a bloody bandage around my arm when Mizzou came calling after Stepanvich shot himself... My Bball pedigree is much greater than you sitting your butt in a seat.

Oh okay... so that makes up for the fact that you just noticed we still have a team 2 days ago???? lol

TheHumanAlphabet
3/4/2011, 01:49 PM
Oh okay... so that makes up for the fact that you just noticed we still have a team 2 days ago???? lol

You know nothing of my life or what I do or whether I am in the U.S. or an expat. Perhaps until you know those things, you should remain quiet.

badger
3/4/2011, 02:00 PM
Lighten up guys. :)

Eielson
3/4/2011, 02:03 PM
Another great idea for a thread.

WichitaSooner
3/4/2011, 02:09 PM
You know nothing of my life or what I do or whether I am in the U.S. or an expat. Perhaps until you know those things, you should remain quiet.

Yeah, I won't remain quiet, but thanks for the suggestion...

You know there are ways to watch the OU games, no matter where in the world you live... well, if you really are a fan, that is...

badger
3/4/2011, 02:10 PM
Seriously, lighten up man. It's been a tough season for all of us fans, whether we've been watching all the games, some of the games, from TV, from the intrawebs, from the LNC, wherever. Tough season. Yes. Tough. :(

Eielson
3/4/2011, 02:22 PM
The Sampson "fiasco" was nothing compared to what Capel has put down. At least Sampson left some talent in the cupboard. Whoever coaches next is getting scraps...

There will be more talent in the cupboard next year than the year Capel came.

Eielson
3/4/2011, 02:26 PM
but Bob would be gone after two seasons like Texas had this year.

I don't buy that. Assuming there are no rules broken, I think he'd have to have more like 5 seasons like that to get fired. Of course, Bob has had exponentially more success than Capel has had.

the_ouskull
3/4/2011, 06:00 PM

He's been here for five, and we've failed to make The Dance for three of those. A 40% is failing, I don't care HOW big the curve is.

the_ouskull

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 08:16 PM

Take a breathe bro. Not worth getting your blood pressure up. We all know it has been a very frustrating two seasons, but chillax. We will rebound from our misfortunes in Men's basketball.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I won't remain quiet, but thanks for the suggestion...

You know there are ways to watch the OU games, no matter where in the world you live... well, if you really are a fan, that is...

Unless you know the situation of each of us...try to stop calling the elders fairweather fans or saying any of us are not fans. That type of posting is trolling...I know...I do it too.

Alphabet is a loyal fan from what I can tell...It takes a real fan to voice their frustrations!

Sooner74
3/4/2011, 08:41 PM
Hey everyone,

It has been tough on every single one of us. Do you think I like being one of the few people that show up to games? The only thing I wish is that we had support for all of our programs. These kids put a lot of heart onto the court despite the performance. The spend a lot of time practicing and going to school to get an education.

While we sometimes get fed up with performance, we need to look at these kids and understand they are kids in a bad situation. They hopefully will grow from the pains of losing and pull a few extra out next year. You never know what next year holds.

All I ask, is that we support the team through the thick and thin, because one day we will be better.

KC//CRIMSON
3/7/2011, 12:57 PM

More ellipses!!! Could we get more ellipses, super fan?

King Barry's Back
3/8/2011, 08:11 PM
When things go bad, when a team loses too many games for too many seasons, and it looks to the fans like a program is coming apart -- I hate to see it but the program's supporters start looking for answers and usually end up turning against each other.

Believe me, I still remember the John Blake years like they were yesterday.

If anybody thinks that Capel "deserves another year," that's an opinion I can respect. Anybody thinks that Capel should go, I think they've got plenty of ammo to back that up as well.

If the posting gets heated, its only because the poster cares - on both sides of the equation. We're all Sooners.

If I was the guy that had to pull the trigger, I would be looking at other candidates for the hoops job. And if I saw a couple of very strong prospects, that I thought that I had a good chance to hire -- I would show Capel the door.

The fiasco last year didn't leave Capel with much slack, as far as I am concerned. And we all knew that this season was a rebuilding year, but I just didn't see enough rebuilding to think that Capel "deserves" anything.

If I didn't think I could find/hire a better solution at this time, then Capel would be my man.

It just feels like a close call to me.

WichitaSooner
3/9/2011, 10:53 AM
More ellipses!!! Could we get more ellipses, super fan?

this coming from the biggest toolbag on this board... lol.

Since you are super doosh... I'll take super fan. Deal.