PDA

View Full Version : BYU kid booted for...having sex?

PDXsooner
3/3/2011, 01:50 AM
Wow, no way I could be a Mormon. Especially in college. Tough honor code.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6175090

Brandon Davies was dismissed from BYU's basketball team after he admitted to having sexual relations with his girlfriend, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Wednesday.

BYU's honor code forbids students from having premarital sex and instructs them to "live a chaste and virtuous life."

More from ESPN.com
In an age when universities embrace athletic expedience at the sake of institutional principle, give credit to BYU for putting principle over performance, writes Pat Forde. Column

BYU is in the midst of a dream season. But Brandon Davies' dismissal over the school's honor code is a nightmare for the Cougars, writes Eamonn Brennan. Blog

The newspaper reported that Davies met with school officials on Monday.

BYU officials would only confirm Wednesday that Davies wasn't involved in anything criminal that resulted in his dismissal from the team.

University spokeswoman Carri Jenkins said an honor code review is under way to determine if the BYU sophomore will be allowed to remain in school, as well as his status with the team next season.

BYU's honor code also requires students to be honest; abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse; and attend church regularly.

The school announced the dismissal on Tuesday night after being made aware of the violation Monday -- the same day that BYU (27-2, 13-1 Mountain West) vaulted to No. 3 in the ESPN/USA Today and AP polls.

Davies had started 26 of 29 games and averaged 11.1 points and a team-leading 6.2 rebounds.

The sophomore was a key member of BYU's frontcourt and was instrumental in helping contain San Diego State's forwards in the Cougars' 80-67 victory over the Aztecs.

School officials said coach Dave Rose would address the issue following Wednesday's game against New Mexico.

Davies was one of Jimmer Fredette's favorite targets in the post, ran the floor well and gave the Cougars length and size inside.

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 04:03 AM
BYU does this from time to time. It only makes the news when it's an athlete.

GKeeper316
3/3/2011, 04:41 AM
BYU does this from time to time. It only makes the news when it's an athlete.

yup didnt they boot a kid from the football team a couple years ago when his girlfriend got pregnant?

sooner59
3/3/2011, 04:57 AM
That sucks, but that is what happens when you attend a religious institution like that who makes their own rules....no matter how dumb they may be. He knew the rules going in. He accepted the scholarship. He boned his girlfriend. He got booted. What would be funny is if he ended up marrying the girl. Not that BYU would care, but people with common sense would roll their eyes at the rule. I feel for the guy, but still, he knew it would happen.

soonerhubs
3/3/2011, 05:18 AM
All the research I have read indicates that this policy is a healthy one, no matter what the religion is.

This is particularly salient with the spreading culture of "hooking-up" on America's campuses.

Also IBBR! :D

XingTheRubicon
3/3/2011, 08:41 AM
I'm kind of in awe of BYU right now. When you think of Oklahoma State actually playing sex offenders, and everything else that's wrong with college sports, it's inspiring.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2011, 09:06 AM
All the research I have read indicates that this policy is a healthy one, no matter what the religion is.

Not if it takes away my coffee!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2011, 09:08 AM
Since its a honor code violation, does that mean he turned himself in?

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2011, 09:10 AM
Since its a honor code violation, does that mean he turned himself in?

That's what I'm assuming . . .

TitoMorelli
3/3/2011, 09:10 AM
Either that, or he was overheard bragging about it to his buddies the next day.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2011, 09:12 AM
BYU's honor code also requires students to be honest; abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse; and attend church regularly.

What's the thought process behind no tea or coffee? Is it the caffeine "addiction"?

Why not just make them all stop eating sugar and red meat too? :P

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2011, 09:12 AM
Either that, or he was overheard bragging about it to his buddies the next day.

That'll teach him to come to practice with a huge smile on his face . . .

texaspokieokie
3/3/2011, 09:13 AM
What's the thought process behind no tea or coffee? Is it the caffeine "addiction"?

he got caught eating pink meat.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2011, 09:15 AM
he got caught eating pink meat.

I think the preferred term in the SO is "pink taco".

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2011, 09:19 AM
That's what I'm assuming . . .

Me too..and if so, then obviously this honor code means something to him. And if means something to him and he turned himself in, then I don't see why people would be upset with BYU.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2011, 09:25 AM
Me too..and if so, then obviously this honor code means something to him. And if means something to him and he turned himself in, then I don't see why people would be upset with BYU.

They shouldn't be . . . the kid knew what he was signing up for when he agreed to go to BYU.

Kids that go there and stick it out have my respect.

SouthCarolinaSooner
3/3/2011, 09:29 AM
You can't tell me Jimmer hasn't gotten any poontang after one of his many 30+ efforts...

TitoMorelli
3/3/2011, 09:29 AM
uh, stick it out?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2011, 09:39 AM
Obviously he meant stick it in

SoCaliSooner
3/3/2011, 09:45 AM
The college I went to had an honor code. Half the baseball team and an assistant coach got kicked out when it was discovered players were banging their girlfriends in local motels, drinking, and using tobacco.

It's a different experience for sure....

OUMallen
3/3/2011, 09:48 AM
They shouldn't be . . . the kid knew what he was signing up for when he agreed to go to BYU.

Agreed. I'm a little surprised about all the people espousing opinions on how it should have been handled and the honor code is too harsh.

soonerhubs
3/3/2011, 09:50 AM
Not if it takes away my coffee!

It's simply a belief that we have that we covenant to not take those substances into our body.

Many folks have come up with various physiological explanations for it, and I'm okay with that. However, if I promise to do something, and do it, I personally feel more empowered and confident in life, so I choose to feel that the latter reason is good enough for me.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2011, 09:52 AM
It's simply a belief that we have that we covenant to not take those substances into our body.

Many folks have come up with various physiological explanations for it, and I'm okay with that. However, if I promise to do something, and do it, I personally feel more empowered and confident in life, so I choose to feel that the latter reason is good enough for me.

Nothing is ever that simple . . . sorry.

Who decided that you needed that covenant?

soonerhubs
3/3/2011, 09:54 AM
Nothing is ever that simple . . . sorry.

Who decided that you needed that covenant?

This link says it better than I could off the top of my head. (http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?locale=0&sourceId=0692f73c28d98010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=bbd508f54922d010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD )

OULenexaman
3/3/2011, 10:00 AM
You know Brandon, what worries me is how your mother is going to take this.

Um, um, well, y-y-y-you d-d-d-don't have to t-t-t-tell her,

sooneron
3/3/2011, 10:02 AM
Basically like Jewish peeps going orthodox or kosher- no shellfish (that would kill me), no pork (that would kill me), no cheeseburgers (you get my point)...

TheHumanAlphabet
3/3/2011, 10:02 AM
I'm kind of in awe of BYU right now. When you think of Oklahoma State actually playing sex offenders, and everything else that's wrong with college sports, it's inspiring.

Inspiring, honorable and shows actions have consequences.

Viking Kitten
3/3/2011, 10:06 AM
Do you think we could get that kid to transfer here? Sounds like he's pretty good.

sooneron
3/3/2011, 10:07 AM
Why didn't Sic'em go to byu? This would never have been a problem for him.

jkjsooner
3/3/2011, 10:13 AM
The college I went to had an honor code. Half the baseball team and an assistant coach got kicked out when it was discovered players were banging their girlfriends in local motels, drinking, and using tobacco.

It's a different experience for sure....

I respect anyone who is willing to go to a school like this and obey their rules.

Personally, to me college was a time for freedom. I was nowhere near a wild guy in college but I enjoyed the idea that I was on my own and could make my own decisions.

How in the world did Jim McMahon last 5 years at BYU?

IB4OU2
3/3/2011, 10:22 AM
Do you think we could get that kid to transfer here? Sounds like he's pretty good.

You mean as a baskestball player....right?

SoCaliSooner
3/3/2011, 10:30 AM
I respect anyone who is willing to go to a school like this and obey their rules.

Personally, to me college was a time for freedom. I was nowhere near a wild guy in college but I enjoyed the idea that I was on my own and could make my own decisions.

I'd been in a private school with an honor code already all through grade/high school so it wasn't that difficult.
In college I was working full time and barely had time to jack around in the dorms but my senior year I got sprung on some hottie and decided I liked fornicating more than my desire to be a pastor.
When I was applying for the sheriff's and later the fire department, my background investigators said they wanted guys from my school because the background check was easy and they didn't wash out.

JohnnyMack
3/3/2011, 10:48 AM

Settle down, hotpants.

OULenexaman
3/3/2011, 10:50 AM
I'd been in a private school with an honor code already all through grade/high school so it wasn't that difficult.
In college I was working full time and barely had time to jack around in the dorms but my senior year I got sprung on some hottie and decided I liked fornicating more than my desire to be a pastor.
When I was applying for the sheriff's and later the fire department, my background investigators said they wanted guys from my school because the background check was easy and they didn't wash out.

Now I know why I know...

Viking Kitten
3/3/2011, 10:52 AM
Settle down, hotpants.

Cougar says "rawwwwr."

picasso
3/3/2011, 11:01 AM

He was cited several times for having beer in his dorm room. Moosehead to be exact, which tastes like cow manure smells.

The trick is that Jimmy Mac was possibly the best QB they've ever had.

sooneron
3/3/2011, 11:07 AM
Cougar says "rawwwwr."

http://www.upmag.net/photos/cougar.jpeg

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 11:30 AM

Something about being a Mormon institution...

Ike
3/3/2011, 12:07 PM
There were a number of schools that were recruiting me for baseball that had similar codes of conduct -- No alcohol, No sexing, No fun, and go to chuch. The existence of those codes made my decision to turn them down pretty easy.

Even though the school I did go to was a religiously affiliated school, it only forbade those things on campus. And campus was pretty small. Oh, and they didn't require you to go to church.

soonerbrat
3/3/2011, 12:41 PM

pun intended?

Chuck Bao
3/3/2011, 12:54 PM

This is particularly salient with the spreading culture of "hooking-up" on America's campuses.

Also IBBR! :D

I see nothing wrong with some good old healthy SAFE sex. Alright, some university students aren't mature enough to deal with it. I know that I wasn't at that age. I just don't think the whole religious guilt trip dealio is healthy either.

I remember doing it on a gravel country road somewhere between Madill and Durant and then getting down on my knees on that country road and praying to God to forgive my evil ways. That is just not healthy and you are a counciler, Huber? Do you think we should just zip it?

texas bandman
3/3/2011, 01:02 PM
That's why I went to OU, I really liked bangin' my GF! :D

TheHumanAlphabet
3/3/2011, 01:18 PM
That's why I went to OU, I really liked bangin' my GF! :D

OU (and many other campuses) have a "whole lot of bangin' going on..."

badger
3/3/2011, 01:19 PM
I admire Mormons for their religious discipline when it comes to stuff like this. Same for Muslims around Ramadan time.

Anyone else remember that Steve Young Visa ad where he's sitting depressed in a bar, asking for another, only for the bartender to shake his head concerned while filling his... milk glass.

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 01:24 PM
I see nothing wrong with some good old healthy SAFE sex. Alright, some university students aren't mature enough to deal with it.

Can you ramp up the arrogance level of your view? It isn't quite arrogant enough.

Soonerson1975
3/3/2011, 01:25 PM
Nothing beats good Mormon trim.

OhU1
3/3/2011, 01:30 PM
Why didn't Sic'em go to byu? This would never have been a problem for him.

Sic has a fondness for the sodas. An 18 a day habit at one point I think he said.

If Sic went to BYU the headline would have been: "BYU kid booted for drinking Pepsi".

JohnnyMack
3/3/2011, 01:43 PM
Can you ramp up the arrogance level of your view? It isn't quite arrogant enough.

Why is that arrogant? Seriously.

Jammin'
3/3/2011, 01:44 PM
This should help BYUs recruiting efforts.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2011, 02:21 PM
pun intended?

Would you believe me if I said . . . yes? :P

TheHumanAlphabet
3/3/2011, 02:21 PM
This should help BYUs recruiting efforts.

Hell they seem to finding converts just fine...

Outside of the absurdity (to some, in a modern context) of the message of Christ and the things attributed to him, I fail to understand the allure of the LDS message and the fact of the golden tablets and the special glasses. I can see the angel Moroni and understand a "revelation". But the way the message was presented just seems a stretch to me. Not to denigrate and if a Mormon can enlighten me, please do so. It may come down to a faith thing, just as I have faith in Jesus, even with a contemporary view.

oudavid1
3/3/2011, 02:50 PM
Im Catholic, we are not supposed to have pre-marital sex either.

There is no rule that says Mourmons HAVE to go to BYU.

It was a choice for him. Then he made another choice.

He deserves what he got.

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 02:56 PM
Why is that arrogant? Seriously.

To insinuate that someone who holds a different standard of behavior must be immature is completely arrogant. It falls in line with the typical liberal "You disagree, therefore you must need more education" line of reasoning.

soonerbrat
3/3/2011, 02:59 PM
Would you believe me if I said . . . yes? :P

of course I would.

JohnnyMack
3/3/2011, 03:00 PM
To insinuate that someone who holds a different standard of behavior must be immature is completely arrogant. It falls in line with the typical liberal "You disagree, therefore you must need more education" line of reasoning.

As usual, you're really reaching. That's not what he was inferring and you know it. He said, "I see nothing wrong with some good old healthy SAFE sex. Alright, some university students aren't mature enough to deal with it. I know that I wasn't at that age."

How in the hell is that an attack on a set of values? How is that arrogant at all? Some college kids are really immature and don't need to be having sex, doing drugs or drinking alcohol. You make my head hurt.

oudavid1
3/3/2011, 03:04 PM
As usual, you're really reaching.

Win. [/Thread]

Whet
3/3/2011, 03:17 PM
Would that be a full reach around??

sooner59
3/3/2011, 03:23 PM
This is pretty high up there with some of the most baseless arguments Leroy has tried to have.

3rdgensooner
3/3/2011, 03:32 PM
You make my head hurt.he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you he's not touching you

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 04:09 PM
As usual, you're really reaching. That's not what he was inferring and you know it. He said, "I see nothing wrong with some good old healthy SAFE sex. Alright, some university students aren't mature enough to deal with it. I know that I wasn't at that age."

Insinuating that BYU's code of conduct is somehow related to an immature inabilty to handle healthy sex. That's bull****. Their policy is based on morality.

Otherwise his comment is completely off topic. We're talking about BYU's honor code here.

Chuck Bao
3/3/2011, 04:27 PM

I don't see it that way at all. I didn't mean it in a judgmental way. I did say that I wasn't ready for it at that age. I wanted a relationship but I was just a cheap piece of ***. It did toughen me up a bit and part of MY college education experience. Are the religious schools (ahem...Baylor Bubble) really preparing their kids for the real world out there? Shielding them from that tough stuff and tough questions is a service or disservice? I don't know.

If that is arrogant, then I am sorry.

JohnnyMack
3/3/2011, 04:31 PM
Insinuating that BYU's code of conduct is somehow related to an immature inabilty to handle healthy sex. That's bull****. Their policy is based on morality.

Otherwise his comment is completely off topic. We're talking about BYU's honor code here.

Oh blow me.

Chuck Bao
3/3/2011, 04:37 PM

I will accept your argument IF you tell me straight faced that that actually worked for you. I mean that morality thingy. You mean to tell me that you didn't want bone anything in sight at that age?

Soonerson1975
3/3/2011, 04:40 PM
I have a new theory on why he got kicked out, maybe he put it in the wrong hole.

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2011, 04:42 PM
Technically, Baylor students can always be thrown out for having sex because sexual activity outside the union of marriage is explicitly forbidden in our student handbook.

However, I have never ever heard of someone being thrown out of Baylor for having sex. Ever. Unless they were gay and Baylor has thrown people out for that.

JohnnyMack
3/3/2011, 04:44 PM
Technically, Baylor students can always be thrown out for having sex because sexual activity outside the union of marriage is explicitly forbidden in our student handbook.

However, I have never ever heard of someone being thrown out of Baylor for having sex. Ever. Unless they were gay and Baylor has thrown people out for that.

Wait.

Aren't you in Mississippi now?

soonerhubs
3/3/2011, 04:44 PM
I see nothing wrong with some good old healthy SAFE sex. Alright, some university students aren't mature enough to deal with it. I know that I wasn't at that age. I just don't think the whole religious guilt trip dealio is healthy either.

I remember doing it on a gravel country road somewhere between Madill and Durant and then getting down on my knees on that country road and praying to God to forgive my evil ways. That is just not healthy and you are a counciler, Huber? Do you think we should just zip it?

Not a counselor, but you're correct that experiencing that type of cognitive dissonance can be extremely painful.

I'm not judging anyone else's experiences with sexuality, but I can say, as a whole that most studies show sexuality without a firm relational commitment (usually meaning either marriage or engagement in the US, and cohabitation in Europe) leads to a number or problems emotionally, socially, and psychologically.

Now I'm not saying premarital sex leads to a mental institution. I'm saying it creates actual instinctual emotions of attachment, protectiveness, jealousy, etc., that are all quite natural and healthy in a COMMITTED relationship. When these feelings are evoked (through hormones and brain processes) in a noncommittal relationship, they can be problematic.

Just as callouses are built on our feet by walking on them constantly, so too do these instinctual feelings and emotions via hormonal and CNS functioning become calloused, and to me, that's where we have problems with familial commitment, no matter the sexual orientation.

Experiencing these emotions on a societal level, can be quite problematic, particularly when we discuss the prevalence of divorce and its various costs (social, financial, and psychological).

So long story short, religious guilt can be rough, but my personal experience with guilt is that it is healthy if it motivates change. Some feel otherwise and I respect that.

However, I will say that many denominations haven't quite found a "graceful" way of approaching the "now-what" principle when members of their flock fall into various lifestyles of "sin." Perhaps that's more a product of the culture, but that's for a sociologist to explore.

Not a counselor, but I am a research scientist. Can ya tell? :D

Note: This is not meant to be an attack, and I apologize if it offends. This is merely a summation of theories, literature, research, and experiences that I've had/read on the topic.

sooner59
3/3/2011, 04:46 PM
Well, I think its immoral to boot a kid off of a team for something he did legally with his girlfriend behind closed doors. But morality is subjective. I have my opinion BYU has theirs. But like I said before, he accepted the rules when he signed his LOI. Totally his fault.

Chuck Bao
3/3/2011, 04:59 PM

That is just so ugly and painful to think about. Don't ask and don't tell is just all so wrong in a university setting. Count down: 3, 2 1 for the jokes that Texas university in Austin is the place for the queers.

I wasn't flaming at Baylor. But, I did do it a lot and all very, very dangerously. All anonymous and with strangers. Thankfully, I survived that. But, there is a message there. Living with a morality code and then getting your rocks off with truckers and such is not probably the best option.

The Profit
3/3/2011, 05:01 PM
A Mormon called into the Sports Animal this morning, and said he had some inside information. He said the roomie of his girlfriend became angry about her roommate getting knocked up, and went to school officials.

Chuck Bao
3/3/2011, 05:04 PM
Not a counselor, but you're correct that experiencing that type of cognitive dissonance can be extremely painful.

I'm not judging anyone else's experiences with sexuality, but I can say, as a whole that most studies show sexuality without a firm relational commitment (usually meaning either marriage or engagement in the US, and cohabitation in Europe) leads to a number or problems emotionally, socially, and psychologically.

Now I'm not saying premarital sex leads to a mental institution. I'm saying it creates actual instinctual emotions of attachment, protectiveness, jealousy, etc., that are all quite natural and healthy in a COMMITTED relationship. When these feelings are evoked (through hormones and brain processes) in a noncommittal relationship, they can be problematic.

Just as callouses are built on our feet by walking on them constantly, so too do these instinctual feelings and emotions via hormonal and CNS functioning become calloused, and to me, that's where we have problems with familial commitment, no matter the sexual orientation.

Experiencing these emotions on a societal level, can be quite problematic, particularly when we discuss the prevalence of divorce and its various costs (social, financial, and psychological).

So long story short, religious guilt can be rough, but my personal experience with guilt is that it is healthy if it motivates change. Some feel otherwise and I respect that.

However, I will say that many denominations haven't quite found a "graceful" way of approaching the "now-what" principle when members of their flock fall into various lifestyles of "sin." Perhaps that's more a product of the culture, but that's for a sociologist to explore.

Not a counselor, but I am a research scientist. Can ya tell? :D

Note: This is not meant to be an attack, and I apologize if it offends. This is merely a summation of theories, literature, research, and experiences that I've had/read on the topic.

Huber, you are a great counselor and someone I admire very much. Thanks for that post.

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2011, 05:08 PM
Wait.

Aren't you in Mississippi now?

I always say "we" when I talk about Baylor. I can be 15,000 miles away without having stepped foot on campus for two decades and it'll always be "we."

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2011, 05:09 PM
That is just so ugly and painful to think about. Don't ask and don't tell is just all so wrong in a university setting. Count down: 3, 2 1 for the jokes that Texas university in Austin is the place for the queers.

I wasn't flaming at Baylor. But, I did do it a lot and all very, very dangerously. All anonymous and with strangers. Thankfully, I survived that. But, there is a message there. Living with a morality code and then getting your rocks off with truckers and such is not probably the best option.

The last guy that got kicked out for being gay was outed by his friends. He came out of the closet to a few of his closest friends, and they ran to the administration to tattle.

What kind of ****ty *** friends would do that?

soonerhubs
3/3/2011, 05:09 PM
I always say "we" when I talk about Baylor. I can be 15,000 miles away without having stepped foot on campus for two decades and it'll always be "we."

:mad: You'll always be a Tiger! :mad:

;)

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2011, 05:11 PM
:mad: You'll always be a Tiger! :mad:

;)

lol, Oh God...

I will say that I get a bit nostalgic every time I see Minnesota playing football on TV and their band strikes up the Minnesota Rouser. And then I can't get the damn song out of my head for days...

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2011, 05:12 PM
This one is for you Hubler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPgNRQD7mM
TIGER PRIDE!

JohnnyMack
3/3/2011, 05:17 PM

I was making a gay joke, not a you don't go to Baylor joke.

TUSooner
3/3/2011, 05:22 PM

That is an excellent point and very well explained. Seriously.

What's it doing on the SO?!

TUSooner
3/3/2011, 05:26 PM
It's hard to believe that Jim McMahon went to BYU. They must have not been very sticklish about the honor code. Or Jim was much calmer.

Ike
3/3/2011, 05:29 PM
It's hard to believe that Jim McMahon went to BYU. They must have not been very sticklish about the honor code. Or Jim was much calmer.

When the loss of one guy on the football team may potentially cause a significant loss of revenue....it gets a lot easier to convince the deciders to look the other way on what would be considered "minor" infractions in the absence of the honor code...

Mississippi Sooner
3/3/2011, 05:30 PM
I don't know why there isn't a lot more of this going on at BYU. After all, they do have to wear those sexy sacred undergarments.

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 06:24 PM
I will accept your argument IF you tell me straight faced that that actually worked for you. I mean that morality thingy.

I didn't go to BYU.

Nice effort though.

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2011, 06:25 PM
Oh blow me.

nm (personal attack deleted)

PDXsooner
3/3/2011, 09:38 PM

That actually applies to most people. Most people think if you just understood their viewpoint a little more, you'd "get it". I certainly wouldn't pin that on "liberals". That is standard operating procedure for people of all political persuasions.

AlboSooner
3/3/2011, 09:50 PM
Is the outrage directed at the code of conduct, or at the enforcement of the code of conduct? As a private institution BYU has the right to base it code of conduct after Christian principles, and it has a right to enforce the code of conduct when it is broken.

ouwasp
3/3/2011, 10:40 PM
I agree w/ Albo.

You know the admin at BYU goes into every school term knowing this action will be taken "X" number of times. The only reason we are aware of this is the fellow was a member of the basketball team, thus attracting attention.

Shouldn't be that big of an issue.

pphilfran
3/3/2011, 11:09 PM
I say set your standards low...you always get the best results when expectations are minimal...

Think of the recruiting advantage...

In football, instead of a Buckeye helmet sticker, you get a nipple or curly hair decal for every score....

PDXsooner
3/3/2011, 11:23 PM
I completely agree that the kid should be punished. A suspension? Maybe. Seems pretty harsh to me to suspend for a whole season for simply having sex, but if that's what the code says, then so be it.

If he signed the code, the suspension is righteous. Bottom line. I think most people agree on that. Just figured I'd throw in my opinion, since I started this thread.

stoopified
3/3/2011, 11:34 PM
Jim McMahon signed signed that same honor code and proceeded to shred it BUT apparently didn't turn himself in.