PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of phone stuff...

yermom
3/2/2011, 12:35 AM
as of January, you can port your cell number to Google Voice

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/port-your-existing-mobile-number-to.html

i just ported my home number to T-Mobile, then ported to Google Voice the day it moved :D

i managed to do this without signing a contract, buying a phone, or paying an activation fee. YMMV.

customer service reps will often say the above is impossible, i'm not sure if they are dumb or lying or both. especially on the phone/contract thing. i think i got a bit lucky on the activation though.

i was only keeping my land line because i'd had it since i moved to Norman, and lots of people had it. now it can be forwarded to any other phone i have or just go to voicemail. for free. (well, the port costs $20)

Sooner_Bob
3/2/2011, 09:31 AM
Interesting. My cell # is tied to my GV # as it is . . . what's the benefits of porting it over?

yermom
3/2/2011, 09:37 AM
well, if you do that, you have to get a new number on your cell, then forward your GV service to it

then you can sent free texts from emails, etc... i don't know how it works on Android but it messes up the way things get threaded on my iPhone

i'm not planning on porting my cell number over at the moment.