PDA

View Full Version : How many Android phone owners in here?

MR2-Sooner86
3/1/2011, 08:46 PM
I got my first Android phone yesterday running 2.2 Froyo and love it so far. So many cool things you can do with it. I know a couple other people with Android phones but other than that everybody else I know has an iPhone 4 or 3GS. Personally, give me an Android phone over an iPhone running iOS.

Anybody else have an Android? Love it? Hate it?

:pop:

OUHOMER
3/1/2011, 08:50 PM
just got one saturday. HTC inspire. it cool, but i am old school and dont know **** about them. Jusy now figuring it out

Whet
3/1/2011, 09:40 PM
Droid X - Love it!

Mixer!
3/1/2011, 09:43 PM
Droid X - Love it!

this.

TitoMorelli
3/1/2011, 09:44 PM
Haven't tapped even 1% of its potential, but am really enjoying my Galaxy S.

BTW, there is an "All things Android" thread on the new and anything-but-improved OUInsider site, main poster is Macdaddybuff - a good thread for catching up on apps, launchers, etc. About the only thing worth checking out over there:

http://oklahoma.247sports.com/Board/76/All-Things-Android-275307/1

A Sooner in Texas
3/1/2011, 09:57 PM
HTC Evo 4G since July, and I lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ove my phone. It does everything I ask, and beautifully. Plus, I get a great 4G signal where I live, and it's fast, fast, fast.
The iPhone is beautiful but I can't help but notice that most times I'm talking to someone who has one, they drop the call or it takes an ungodly amount of time to connect to them. I don't have that problem with anyone else.

Mongo
3/1/2011, 10:06 PM
this.

This

delhalew
3/1/2011, 10:12 PM
HTC Evo 4G since July, and I lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ove my phone. It does everything I ask, and beautifully. Plus, I get a great 4G signal where I live, and it's fast, fast, fast.
The iPhone is beautiful but I can't help but notice that most times I'm talking to someone who has one, they drop the call or it takes an ungodly amount of time to connect to them. I don't have that problem with anyone else.

This. The only problem I have is I sometimes forget to check and see if it is changing the words I am typing which sometimes results in nonsense...which I suppose is par for the course ,so nevermind.

CrimsonJim
3/1/2011, 10:15 PM
Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000T, and it rawks. http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

TitoMorelli
3/1/2011, 10:32 PM
Do any of you use Swype when texting, or the old-fashioned way?

CrimsonJim
3/1/2011, 10:35 PM
Odd that you bring that up...I still do it the old-fashioned way, but have been thinking about it for some reason of late. I hope to hear from some Swypers to get their thoughts.

reflector
3/1/2011, 10:37 PM
I can honestly say that I am not an Android phone owner.

A Sooner in Texas
3/1/2011, 10:39 PM
This. The only problem I have is I sometimes forget to check and see if it is changing the words I am typing which sometimes results in nonsense...which I suppose is par for the course ,so nevermind.

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/303/ill-be-right-over/

Yeah, I have to be pretty careful sometimes.

A Sooner in Texas
3/1/2011, 10:41 PM
Odd that you bring that up...I still do it the old-fashioned way, but have been thinking about it for some reason of late. I hope to hear from some Swypers to get their thoughts.

I'm intrigued by Swype and there seems to be a lot of people who love it, at least according to posters on androidcentral.com.

MR2-Sooner86
3/1/2011, 10:57 PM
I got an LG Optimus and I've used the swipe on it. It's definitely different and I guess it depends on the user. There are several words I can just swipe and it'll get the first try. Some words I can swipe a couple times and it won't get it. It just depends on the word.

For instance "loose" it wants to put "lose" but "good" it doesn't try to put "god" in there. I guess it just depends on the word and how often it's used in normal speech?

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 11:50 PM
Galaxy S Epic 4g, it's awesome. I use swype all the time even though I have built in qwerty keyboard.

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 11:51 PM
I got an LG Optimus and I've used the swipe on it. It's definitely different and I guess it depends on the user. There are several words I can just swipe and it'll get the first try. Some words I can swipe a couple times and it won't get it. It just depends on the word.

For instance "loose" it wants to put "lose" but "good" it doesn't try to put "god" in there. I guess it just depends on the word and how often it's used in normal speech?

You scribble back and forth on that letter to do double letters.

MR2-Sooner86
3/1/2011, 11:54 PM
You scribble back and forth on that letter to do double letters.

Ah touche!

yermom
3/1/2011, 11:56 PM
i put Android on my iPhone 3G once...

it didn't work very well.

i'm been pondering a Nexus S, but i'm not sure. i'm still pretty happy with the my 2G iPhone, actually.

i really want to like Android, but i haven't really had enough time to mess with one. i really don't want to be tweaking something i need as a phone all the time while i'm getting used to it either though.

i mean, seriously. i've been running Unix/Linux for over 10 years. i should be all over this :D

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 11:59 PM
I post the majority of the time from my phone. Posting from it right now. Typing on my phone with swype is almost as quick as typing on the computer.

A Sooner in Texas
3/2/2011, 12:19 AM
i put Android on my iPhone 3G once...

it didn't work very well.

i'm been pondering a Nexus S, but i'm not sure. i'm still pretty happy with the my 2G iPhone, actually.

i really want to like Android, but i haven't really had enough time to mess with one. i really don't want to be tweaking something i need as a phone all the time while i'm getting used to it either though.

i mean, seriously. i've been running Unix/Linux for over 10 years. i should be all over this :D

I'm not enough of a geek to root my phone with any confidence, but I really love the freedom of changing out my wallpaper and themes on a whim. I have some really great animated wallpapers; my favorites are usually ones that involve planets, stars, etc. Though I do have one that changes out Van Gogh paintings every few seconds, and it's really great.
Of course, those are battery drainers, but I have a charger in my car and one on my desk at work, so I'm just keeping the phone plugged in whenever possible.

hawaii 5-0
3/2/2011, 01:32 AM
I have a Galaxy S. Still learnin'.

5-0

jiminy
3/2/2011, 07:35 AM
The original droid for awhile longer. I'm typing this on my Xoom, which is a neat little device

dwarthog
3/2/2011, 08:14 AM
Got an HTC EVO last fall. So far no complaints except for lack of 4G service here in OKC ....

1890MilesToNorman
3/2/2011, 08:28 AM
Had mine about a week, swore at it for the first 24 hours and then started to love it. Still a rookie and I don't like having to charge it every night but it's a keeper.

1890MilesToNorman
3/2/2011, 08:30 AM
For the nOObs, you can create a Sooner ringtone with Ringdroid! :P

tcrb
3/2/2011, 09:00 AM
My carrier is Tmobile so I have an htc MyTouch. The service is 4G so it's pretty quick most of the time. When I'm at home and can connect to my wifi, it's as fast as my computer.

I use swipe exclusively when texting, and once you get the hang of it, it is far easier and quicker than typing. The intuitive word selection is far more reliable as well. To type a double letter, I simply do a quick up and down motion on that letter and that seems to work about 95% of the time.

I love the phone, but I know that I really don't use it to its full potential.

KuppiKunta
3/2/2011, 09:09 AM
My carrier is Tmobile so I have an htc MyTouch. The service is 4G so it's pretty quick most of the time. When I'm at home and can connect to my wifi, it's as fast as my computer.

Sorry, but T-mobile is not true 4G. Macdaddy will explain it better than I could, so I'll let him take over when he sees this thread.

Sooner_Bob
3/2/2011, 09:19 AM
Droid 2 owner checking in . . .

Position Limit
3/2/2011, 10:32 AM
HTC EVO here. nothing else comes close. if you're looking for an android phone it's the way to go.

WichitaSooner
3/2/2011, 10:43 AM
Just got my Samsung Galaxy S 4G on Tmobile... very fast phone... and I absolutely love it. I messed with swype for a bit, then downloaded betterkeyboard8, or something like that... I like it because it has the same autocorrections that I was used to with my blackberry.... May give swype another shot though...

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 11:03 AM
HTC EVO here. nothing else comes close. if you're looking for an android phone it's the way to go.

How can you say that? How many provider/phones have you had? I'm sure there are plenty of phones that are almost exactly like it. Evo isn't even the best for sprint IMO though.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 11:04 AM
Just got my Samsung Galaxy S 4G on Tmobile... very fast phone... and I absolutely love it. I messed with swype for a bit, then downloaded betterkeyboard8, or something like that... I like it because it has the same autocorrections that I was used to with my blackberry.... May give swype another shot though...

You should, no need to download another keyboard.

3rdgensooner
3/2/2011, 11:05 AM
I have the HTC Hero. I'm happy with it, although I'd like to get better battery life out of it.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 11:14 AM
I have the HTC Hero. I'm happy with it, although I'd like to get better battery life out of it.

Every smart phone these days has that problem. I just got a car charger with wall prongs that fold up inside it. So it's in my car so I can always charge there, and then if I still need more I can just take it inside and use it wherever I go. Works great.

3rdgensooner
3/2/2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I have a car charger, a charger at work, and an extra battery that is in a charger at home. I carry the extra battery with me when I know I may be unable to charge--such as game days.

Wishboned
3/2/2011, 11:22 AM
HTC Evo and I love it.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I have a car charger, a charger at work, and an extra battery that is in a charger at home. I carry the extra battery with me when I know I may be unable to charge--such as game days.

Yeah game days I turn my phone off during, it's not like I get any reception in the stadium anyways.

delhalew
3/2/2011, 12:00 PM
How can you say that? How many provider/phones have you had? I'm sure there are plenty of phones that are almost exactly like it. Evo isn't even the best for sprint IMO though.

I can say that. The only thing close is the Incredible for Verizon, but in most cases, I have gotten better coverage with Sprint. For example, I still haven't picked an internet provider at my new house in the booneys, because using my Evo as a modem, the 3g coverage is fast enough for us to stream Netflix.

It's possible since I am so completely satisfied with my phone that I didn't notice Sprint putting out something better.

Please tell me what is better than an Evo, assuming you are actually familiar with the phone, and not talking out your azzz. ;)

OUDoc
3/2/2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah game days I turn my phone off during, it's not like I get any reception in the stadium anyways.

They just added cell "towers" in the stadium at the end of the season. Reception is supposed to be better now.

delhalew
3/2/2011, 12:06 PM

I did with Sprint, back when I had a blackberry. At&t, us cellular, T-mobile forget about it. Never tried Verizon.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 12:19 PM
I can say that. The only thing close is the Incredible for Verizon, but in most cases, I have gotten better coverage with Sprint. For example, I still haven't picked an internet provider at my new house in the booneys, because using my Evo as a modem, the 3g coverage is fast enough for us to stream Netflix.

It's possible since I am so completely satisfied with my phone that I didn't notice Sprint putting out something better.

Please tell me what is better than an Evo, assuming you are actually familiar with the phone, and not talking out your azzz. ;)

Epic is better than Evo in everything but screen size. Look up memory and processing speed and epic wins easily. They are pretty much same size and weight except epic had full qwerty and swype. And comparing both side by side with my buddies who works for sprint, color quality and speed is way better. Only thing evo has that epic didn't is hdmi out and kickstand. But if you like your phone then that's good. I was just saying that there are a **** ton of phones and to claim yours is the best hands down is a stupid statement unless you worked for all these providers at some point and had the chance to try out multiple phones. My roommate works for at&t and she's switched her phone four or five times in the last year, also switching what phone she thinks is her favorite phone.

dwarthog
3/2/2011, 12:40 PM
Epic is better than Evo in everything but screen size. Look up memory and processing speed and epic wins easily. They are pretty much same size and weight except epic had full qwerty and swype. And comparing both side by side with my buddies who works for sprint, color quality and speed is way better. Only thing evo has that epic didn't is hdmi out and kickstand. But if you like your phone then that's good. I was just saying that there are a **** ton of phones and to claim yours is the best hands down is a stupid statement unless you worked for all these providers at some point and had the chance to try out multiple phones. My roommate works for at&t and she's switched her phone four or five times in the last year, also switching what phone she thinks is her favorite phone.

HTC EVO got the swype keyboard option last year, Dec I believe.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 12:42 PM
HTC EVO got the swype keyboard option last year, Dec I believe.

Well whatever, that wasn't my point. And that's not a selling point cause you can probably download it for any phone now from the market.

AlboSooner
3/2/2011, 12:43 PM
As a response to the dominant iPhone, the Droid platform has been the most successful at achieving the coveted number two. It has become very enticing to buy one, but a jailbroken iPhone 4, is as close to perfection as one can get with a cell phone.

tcrb
3/2/2011, 12:43 PM
Sorry, but T-mobile is not true 4G. Macdaddy will explain it better than I could, so I'll let him take over when he sees this thread.

Yeah, I've heard this before. I'm not a techie, so I probably wouldn't understand what "true 4G" is if you drew me a picture. What I do know though, is that my son just bought the new iphone and he's paying for 4G ATT service and my tmobile MyTouch downloads internet pages in just over half the time his iphone does. When we turn on wifi, it's almost instantaneous on my tmobile, and his iphone is still much slower. Did the same comparison with a friend of mine that has the Evo and Sprint 4G, and the results were pretty much the same, only the Sprint service was faster than the ATT iphone.

AlboSooner
3/2/2011, 12:46 PM
There are no iPhones which have 4G as of right now. The rumors are that the next iphone will be 4G, capable.

The difference in milliseconds of speed between 3G and 4G doesn't entice me.

SicEmBaylor
3/2/2011, 12:48 PM
Well whatever, that wasn't my point. And that's not a selling point cause you can probably download it for any phone now from the market.

You can't download it from the market, but you can download the apk from their website after signing up.

1890MilesToNorman
3/2/2011, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't know the diff in phones as this is the first one I've had. A Motorola Defy, it's supposed to be a newer one and it's pretty cool. As far as g4 goes, there is no such thing up here.

tcrb
3/2/2011, 12:57 PM
There are no iPhones which have 4G as of right now. The rumors are that the next iphone will be 4G, capable.

The difference in milliseconds of speed between 3G and 4G doesn't entice me.

Maybe that explains the difference....his plan includes 4G service, so I assumed that his iphone was also 4G compatible. If that's the case, I guess he really just has 3G service? But the difference is more than milliseconds when we compare side by side

TheHumanAlphabet
3/2/2011, 12:58 PM
I have a Cingular Razr. Still works great.

Would you geta Android or a Windows 7 phone?

OKLA21FAN
3/2/2011, 01:00 PM
For the nOObs, you can create a Sooner ringtone with Ringdroid! :P

I never can find where that is

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't know the diff in phones as this is the first one I've had. A Motorola Defy, it's supposed to be a newer one and it's pretty cool. As far as g4 goes, there is no such thing up here.

Don't worry, oklahoma's not that high up on the list of any provider's 4g coverage plans either. Maybe when I go to dallas for the RRS, but they didn't even have in Arizona during the bowl game, or in denver when I visited my sister. Seems like those places would be populous enough to already have it.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 01:03 PM

My roommate who works for at&t has had the iphone 4, captivate, and windows 7. She says her favorite is the windows phone, followed by the captivate. She says that 50 prevent of people still come in wanting an iphone though.

SicEmBaylor
3/2/2011, 01:05 PM

I'm having flashbacks to 2003.

Definitely Android.

OKLA21FAN
3/2/2011, 01:09 PM
I'm having flashbacks to 2003.
wasn't that the year you 'almost' scored? :pop:

MR2-Sooner86
3/2/2011, 01:09 PM
As a response to the dominant iPhone, the Droid platform has been the most successful at achieving the coveted number two. It has become very enticing to buy one, but a jailbroken iPhone 4, is as close to perfection as one can get with a cell phone.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/127/f/4/DROID_vs_Apple_Vector_Resource_by_rstovall.jpg

:D

AlboSooner
3/2/2011, 01:13 PM
Maybe that explains the difference....his plan includes 4G service, so I assumed that his iphone was also 4G compatible. If that's the case, I guess he really just has 3G service? But the difference is more than milliseconds when we compare side by side

Call att and have them remove the 4G option. The iPhone 4 is not 4G capable. In theory, 4G and 3G are not that far away in internet speed. 3G is fast enough, imo. Some people buy other devices to make the anti-social choice. Meaning, the sorority blond has an iPhone, so I will get a Droid not to be like her.

At least Apple doesn't ruin your hardware if you modify the firmware, like some Droid platforms do.

Personally I have great respect for the inventor, for the innovator, for the leader, and less respect for the imitator, for the reactionary, for the follower. It's a great compliment to Apple to be imitated, when in the beginning everybody who is imitating apple said the iPhone will fail.

3rdgensooner
3/2/2011, 01:16 PM
Some people buy other devices to make the anti-social choice. Meaning, the sorority blond has an iPhone, so I will get a Droid not to be like her.
And some people choose IPhone because it's the popular social choice.

AlboSooner
3/2/2011, 01:19 PM
And some people choose IPhone because it's the popular social choice.

That's true. However, buying the original because it brings something unseen to the market, is much more justified than buying the imitation based on anti-social feelings.

You have seen how critical I have been towards apple in the old forum, so I am not a fanboi.

3rdgensooner
3/2/2011, 01:24 PM
However, buying the original because it brings something unseen to the market, is much more justified than buying the imitation based on anti-social feelings.Buying any product based on anything other than a true understanding of the competition is arguably dumb, regardless of how you slice it. It would be like suggesting that it's better to buy a Ford because they made the first car than to buy a Lexus if you're doing so because you have animosity toward Ford.

SicEmBaylor
3/2/2011, 01:26 PM
I've owned a smartphone on virtually every platform except Symbian.

I've had a blackberry, an iPhone, a Palm Pre Plus, and an Optimus.

I've only had the android phone for a couple of weeks now, but it is already my favorite by far.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 01:27 PM
That's true. However, buying the original because it brings something unseen to the market, is much more justified than buying the imitation based on anti-social feelings.

You have seen how critical I have been towards apple in the old forum, so I am not a fanboi.

I buy a phone for what it does and what phones my provider offers. I don't think as many people are buying android to go against iphone, as iphone people who are up their own *** about apple products. Seriously everyone I know who has iphone 4 had an iphone 3 before. I would say 80 percent of iphoners buy strictly apple products and that's why they have that phone.

MR2-Sooner86
3/2/2011, 01:34 PM

I wouldn't say "original" too much. The iPhone made touch screens popular, yes, but it wasn't the first. Also, the first iPhones lacked so many features (MMS, video, custom ringtones, copy/paste text) it was stupid for the price. Even now the iPhone 4 can only use it's front facing camera on wifi while the EVO 4G (had front facing camera first) and other Android phones can do it on their 3G/4G networks. Unless they've fixed that.

What Apple does well is they back their product. You know a new OS and new hardware will be coming out in late Spring. This has happened like clockwork.

With Android, when 2.2 came out and people were waiting to get it on their phones and by the time they did 2.3 was getting ready to release. You have to have the biggest baddest thing or else you'll be left behind. Unless of course you have the Nexus One/S.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't say "original" too much. The iPhone made touch screens popular, yes, but it wasn't the first. Also, the first iPhones lacked so many features (MMS, video, custom ringtones, copy/paste text) it was stupid for the price. Even now the iPhone 4 can only use it's front facing camera on wifi while the EVO 4G (had front facing camera first) and other Android phones can do it on their 3G/4G networks. Unless they've fixed that.

What Apple does well is they back their product. You know a new OS and new hardware will be coming out in late Spring. This has happened like clockwork.

With Android, when 2.2 came out and people were waiting to get it on their phones and by the time they did 2.3 was getting ready to release. You have to have the biggest baddest thing or else you'll be left behind. Unless of course you have the Nexus One/S.

Oh and no flash or any sign of it in the near future.

AlboSooner
3/2/2011, 01:43 PM
Buying any product based on anything other than a true understanding of the competition is arguably dumb, regardless of how you slice it. It would be like suggesting that it's better to buy a Ford because they made the first car than to buy a Lexus if you're doing so because you have animosity toward Ford.

You are wrongly assuming that the iPhone is inferior to the Droid platform, or that I didn't previously say that a jailbroken iPhone is close to perfection. When a the choice is between a Ford and a Toyota, and the cars are equal or closely related, then i opt for the Ford. I am sensing a certain emotion in your post. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone.

The car analogy I dont agree with. I won't elaborate.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 01:49 PM
You are wrongly assuming that the iPhone is inferior to the Droid platform, or that I didn't previously say that a jailbroken iPhone is close to perfection. When a the choice is between a Ford and a Toyota, and the cars are equal or closely related, then i opt for the Ford. I am sensing a certain emotion in your post. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone.

The car analogy I dont agree with. I won't elaborate.

I think the car analogy worked great for what your were saying. And a good phone Imo shouldn't need to be jail broken to be good.

3rdgensooner
3/2/2011, 01:49 PM
I am assuming nothing and absolutely not emotional. I am not even remotely a technophile.

SoCaliSooner
3/2/2011, 02:47 PM
I am assuming nothing and absolutely not emotional. I am not even remotely a technophile.
Meep.

soonerinabilene
3/2/2011, 03:07 PM
I've got a samsung fascinate from verizon and I love it. Best phone I've ever had. My wife had an iphone 4 and wants me to trade with her. And swype texting, once you get used to out, is pretty dang awesome and fast.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/2/2011, 03:08 PM
I've owned a smartphone on virtually every platform except Symbian.

I've had a blackberry, an iPhone, a Palm Pre Plus, and an Optimus.

I've only had the android phone for a couple of weeks now, but it is already my favorite by far.

Why so many phones? Are you a slave to the "consumerism going on around here"?

yermom
3/2/2011, 03:43 PM
I buy a phone for what it does and what phones my provider offers. I don't think as many people are buying android to go against iphone, as iphone people who are up their own *** about apple products. Seriously everyone I know who has iphone 4 had an iphone 3 before. I would say 80 percent of iphoners buy strictly apple products and that's why they have that phone.

WAY more people have iPhones than have Apple computers.

AlboSooner
3/2/2011, 03:54 PM
I think the car analogy worked great for what your were saying. And a good phone Imo shouldn't need to be jail broken to be good.

Internet communication deprives us of the body language and one has to rely on words and their meaning when reading something, especially when the author is able with words.

By definition, when we make a statement we assume two things: 1. The statement is true, 2. the opposite to that statement is false. It is absolutely impossible to escape these assumptions within the confines of reason. So, we always assume those two things.

Statement one: However, buying the original because it brings something unseen to the market, is much more justified than buying the imitation based on anti-social feelings.

I thought this response was given to that statement, hence the quotation: Buying any product based on anything other than a true understanding of the competition is arguably dumb, regardless of how you slice it.

I believed that this statement assumed that my statement did not have in mind competition, which is false since I qualified before that the iPhone 4 jailbroken was the best in my mind.
Then you have the use of "arguably dumb," since arguably is an ambiguous filler, one has to take it out and leave just dumb. That type of language to me registers as emotion in the sentence. We can use the same sentence with the word incorrect or irrational, and retain the same meaning. The use of "dumb" intended to insult, and insults come from emotions. Logically the act which was "dumb" is not performed in a vacuum, but rather there is a performer of the dumb act. The act is abstract, but the performer is concrete, so the true adjective belongs to the performer of the act. Whether you say you're doing something dumb with tact, or without tact, you are still saying the same thing.

The analogy of the car depends on the assumption of the previous statement, which I believe has an incorrect assumption. By default the analogy (another filler, or helper) is incorrect in my mind. My argument for choosing the iPhone was not totally based on originality.

I fully realize that I can't possible convince anyone about anything, but I merely wanted to show the logic behind my posts. It may be faulty logic, but it's logic nonetheless, regardless how you slice it. It is hard to believe that one can be proficient on the computer, internet, smart phones, and sill not be a technophile, if by techno-phile we mean one who loves technology. A techno-phobe wouldn't even participate in the discussion, in my humble opinion :)

Ps: Sadly this is looking like an iPhone vs Droid debate or poster A vs poster B debate, which was not my intention. I don't want to appear as a servile when saying that reading 3g's posts, is one of the reasons I stick around here. Even her one-liners have more thought condensed than the long posts of some self-styled moralist, of self-styled philosopher, of some self-styled hedonist.

3rdgensooner
3/2/2011, 04:05 PM
This seems like a good place to drop this:

Google pulls 21 apps in Android malware scare (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/03/02/google.malware.andriod/index.html?hpt=T2)

Thanks Albo, that was very kind of you.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 05:21 PM

But combine ipods, ipads, and all that I bet it's about equal. Redundant technologies remarketed to dumb asses who need the newest thing apple. Why is it a news story every time an apple product has a release date? To remind apple product users that their **** is out of date and no longer cool.

SicEmBaylor
3/2/2011, 06:33 PM
Why so many phones? Are you a slave to the "consumerism going on around here"?

I'm a big time tech geek. I change phones about every year. This year it's an android phone, last year it was the pre, the year before that an iPhone, and before that a Blackberry Pearl.

Preservation Parcels
3/2/2011, 10:04 PM
Droid 2. Best phone so far. Swype works great most of the time, and the calls are more clear than my office phone at work. I like instantly receiving pictures, text messages, email, decent speed on the internet, kindle, games, and a boatload of apps. It has a whole lot more capabilities than the first 5 desktop computers I owned, and it will be interesting to see what comes along by the time technology outlives this one in the next couple of years.

A Sooner in Texas
3/2/2011, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=3rdgensooner;3160350]This seems like a good place to drop this:

Google pulls 21 apps in Android malware scare (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/03/02/google.malware.andriod/index.html?hpt=T2)

How many people with a shred of intelligence would actually download any of those apps? The titles just SOUND like malware waiting to happen.

MR2-Sooner86
3/2/2011, 10:26 PM
This seems like a good place to drop this:

Falling Down
Super Guitar Solo
Super History Eraser
Photo Editor
Super Ringtone Maker
Super Sex Positions
Hot Sexy Videos
Chess
Hilton Sex Sound
Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
Falling Ball Dodge
Scientific Calculator
Dice Roller
Advanced Currency Converter
APP Uninstaller
Funny Paint
Spider Man

You download those apps you should get what's coming to you.

bluedogok
3/2/2011, 11:05 PM
They just added cell "towers" in the stadium at the end of the season. Reception is supposed to be better now.
I saw that news story when we were up there for the Tech game, my iPhone didn't work until the end of the third quarter after half the crowd had left. The fact that my AT&T service wouldn't work (phone, text or data) in Norman, Jerryworld or Invesco is the main reason why I switched to Verizon in December. I went from an iPhone 3G to a HTC Droid Incredible.

Most of the people that I know with iPhones (all varieties) only a few of them have Macs. The only Apple products that I have owned are a 40gb iPod and replaced with a 160gb iPod Classic and the iPhone 3G (now pretty much a Touch). None of the software that I use works on an Apple OS, no reason for me to own one if I am going to have to load Windows on it anyway. I got a Sony laptop with a Core i7 last November much cheaper than I could get a MacBook Pro with similar specs, almost half.

Apple makes good products but their computers are overpriced for my needs. When my Incredible contract is up I may consider switching to whatever Verizon iPhone variant is available at the time.

delhalew
3/3/2011, 01:33 AM

After the Evo came out, I'm sure there has been a rush of phones that support flash to hit the market, but Evo was the first.

I'll tell you what is stupid. Thinking you need to work for the these companies to make an informed decision. I am an expert on network performance from one company to another. When I am ready for a new phone, I will do enough research to know far more than your average pimply phone pusher.

jumperstop
3/3/2011, 02:02 AM
After the Evo came out, I'm sure there has been a rush of phones that support flash to hit the market, but Evo was the first.

I'll tell you what is stupid. Thinking you need to work for the these companies to make an informed decision. I am an expert on network performance from one company to another. When I am ready for a new phone, I will do enough research to know far more than your average pimply phone pusher.

I don't work for any phone company....I learned all that when buying my phone, did my research. I will say flash support pissed me off. The epic was supposed to have it right after it came out at the beginning of september, but I just got it a few weeks back. Evo's had it forever.

CrimsonJim
3/3/2011, 07:53 AM
Do any of you use Swype when texting, or the old-fashioned way?

Ok, curiosity got the better of me. I changed over to Swype and think I'm going to like it. I never was a super sonic texter any how, but after only a few minutes I can already type as fast or faster than I could using the qwerty keyboard.

TitoMorelli
3/3/2011, 08:48 AM
Ok, curiosity got the better of me. I changed over to Swype and think I'm going to like it. I never was a super sonic texter any how, but after only a few minutes I can already type as fast or faster than I could using the qwerty keyboard.

I'm in the same boat, C-Jim. ACtually, I seldom sent texts before my recent phone purchase. I saw a lady using Swype, was curious enough to look up some youtube's on it, then ran through the tutorial that comes with the program on the phone. Seems that I make fewer mistakes with Swype than with conventional phone text/typing.

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2011, 08:55 AM
I've never really found a huge need for flash on my phone and considering how utterly ****ty flash is, I really don't care to have it.

1890MilesToNorman
3/3/2011, 09:22 AM
My Droid just got up and took a **** for me? Damn that thing is schmart!

delhalew
3/3/2011, 10:42 AM
I've never really found a huge need for flash on my phone and considering how utterly ****ty flash is, I really don't care to have it.

Lack of flash was keeping phones in the dark ages. Regardless of your feelings on it, flash is the norm. My phone renders websites exactly like my laptop, and I can watch any video I want.

CrimsonJim
3/3/2011, 08:37 PM
Waiting on my Messican food & reading on SoonerFans. Gotta love it! :D

yermom
3/3/2011, 08:41 PM

the sooner it dies, the better

booomer
3/3/2011, 09:14 PM
Here's some interesting info about the new iPhone 5 as compared to the Android.

Also, anyone who says Android based cell phones are going to be able to compete with the new iPhone 5 are completely delirious. They won't even come close to the capabilities offered by the new iPhone when it comes out. If you're thinking about buying the iPhone 4, you'll be better off waiting for the iPhone 5 instead, as it should be coming out really soon this year. Here are some of the expected features:
The new iPhone 5 is expected to have Face Recognition Security so that you don't have to worry about other people stealing yourphone (http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review#) and trying to use it... That is, unless they steal your face too. (Anyone seen Face Off?)
VideoChat (http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review#) on a 4G network instead of a slow 3G one
Much nicer overall body design of the phone. It's going to be even thinner and have a shiny black piece.
Shatter Resistant and Scratch Resistant Screen
The lowest model will come with 32G of space and 64G of memory. I'll be able to store my whole computer on the lowest model of the iPhone 5. Yippeee for me.
Longer BatteryLife (http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review#) - Up to 14 Hours of Talk Time On The 3G and 7 Hours on the 4G. With 14 hours of talking to my girlfriends, I'm only going to have 10 hours to sleep =(
HD (http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review#) Audio - The quality of sound is going to be extra crisp.
Built In GPS - You'll never get lost or have to download one of those stupid GPS apps.http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review

MR2-Sooner86
3/3/2011, 09:25 PM

Also, anyone who says Android based cell phones are going to be able to compete with the new iPhone 5 are completely delirious. They won't even come close to the capabilities offered by the new iPhone when it comes out. If you're thinking about buying the iPhone 4, you'll be better off waiting for the iPhone 5 instead, as it should be coming out really soon this year. Here are some of the expected features:
The new iPhone 5 is expected to have Face Recognition Security so that you don't have to worry about other people stealing yourphone (http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review#) and trying to use it... That is, unless they steal your face too. (Anyone seen Face Off?)
VideoChat (http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review#) on a 4G network instead of a slow 3G one
Much nicer overall body design of the phone. It's going to be even thinner and have a shiny black piece.
The lowest model will come with 32G of space and 64G of memory. I'll be able to store my whole computer on the lowest model of the iPhone 5. Yippeee for me.
Longer BatteryLife (http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review#) - Up to 14 Hours of Talk Time On The 3G and 7 Hours on the 4G. With 14 hours of talking to my girlfriends, I'm only going to have 10 hours to sleep =(
HD (http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review#) Audio - The quality of sound is going to be extra crisp.
Built In GPS - You'll never get lost or have to download one of those stupid GPS apps.http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review

That's hardware and not software. Also, those statements made me laugh. I hope that article was just a joke.

jumperstop
3/3/2011, 10:14 PM
Lack of flash was keeping phones in the dark ages. Regardless of your feelings on it, flash is the norm. My phone renders websites exactly like my laptop, and I can watch any video I want.

Porn :D

SicEmBaylor
3/3/2011, 10:15 PM
Porn :D

The internet is for porn.

delhalew
3/4/2011, 09:02 AM
The internet is for porn.

And without flash...no porn for you.

CrimsonJim
3/4/2011, 08:52 PM
Touché...

Sooner_Bob
3/4/2011, 09:05 PM
Can anyone recommend a good car dock app?

3rdgensooner
3/7/2011, 11:38 AM
Google flips Android kill switch, nukes evil apps (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41940331/ns/technology_and_science-security)

After clearing malware from store, Google remotely deleted it from phones

After it was made known that 50 or so rogue malicious apps had wormed their way into the Android App Market (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41867328/ns/technology_and_science-security/?ns=technology_and_science-security), Google immediately removed them. But this weekend it came to light that the company went a step further, and remotely deleted the dangerous apps from the phones of users who'd accidentally downloaded them.

Google's own Mobile Blog (http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/03/update-on-android-market-security.html) reported the remote surgery, and said that the company was also "pushing an Android Market security update to all affected devices that undoes the exploits to prevent the attacker(s) from accessing any more information from affected devices." Third-party security app Lookout also pushed an update to its users to curtail any further malware intrusion.

What kind of damage may have already been done? "For affected devices, we believe that the only information the attacker(s) were able to gather was device-specific," the blog reported. This would include "unique codes which are used to identify mobile devices, and the version of Android running on your device. But given the nature of the exploits, the attacker(s) could access other data." Assuming they were successful on all handsets, fixes should have cut off attackers from any further access.

The number of affected phones could be as high as 50,000, according to Engadget.

Google's blog linked to a June 2010 discussion (http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/06/exercising-our-remote-application.html) of the "remote application removal feature," aka "kill switch," where they first used it to get rid of some improperly deployed (but not malicious) developersoftware (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41940331/ns/technology_and_science-security#). Tim Bray of the Android Developers blog remarked, at the time, "While we hope to not have to use it, we know that we have the capability to take swift action on behalf of users' safety when needed."

By now, it's clear that this tool isn't just a precautionary measure but a necessary feature, one that, unfortunately, may get quite a bit of exercise in the future.

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2011, 11:40 AM
And without flash...no porn for you.

Checkmate. I concede the round. :D

Phil
8/23/2011, 11:06 AM
OK, Android users, download the new SoonerFans.com Mobile App for Android and let me know what you think!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vbulletin.build_1183&feature=search_result

C&CDean
8/23/2011, 11:08 AM
What about us iPhone 4 non-geeks?

Phil
8/23/2011, 11:10 AM
What about us iPhone 4 non-geeks?

The iPhone app is done, too, but Apple's approval process takes a little longer. I hope to have the iPhone app available before the season starts.

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2011, 12:22 PM

Built In GPS - You'll never get lost or have to download one of those stupid GPS apps.

http://hubpages.com/hub/iPhone-5-Review

:afro:

SoonerMom2
8/23/2011, 12:34 PM
I have an Android LG and need to learn to use swype.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2011, 01:08 PM
I use a LG Optimus Black and a Galaxy Tab.