PDA

View Full Version : Cajun King to open in Norman

Partial Qualifier
3/1/2011, 08:08 PM
Sorry if it's already been posted.

What better time to have your faith restored than right before the Lenten season. Though an epiphany about fried catfish and buffets might not pay the toll to enter the pearly gates, it'll do for Mardi Gras, and praise be to Cajun King, 5816 NW 63, for showing the light back to a couple of forgotten delights. http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1376640/medium (http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1376640/medium.jpg)
Bread pudding Cajun King, NW 63 and MacArthur. Photo by David McDaniel, The Oklahoman David McDaniel

Yes, I did my time at a handful of local Chinese buffets through the 1990s, but after a few visits to Grand House, Fung's Kitchen, Golden Phoenix and Pho Lien Hoa, my Chinese buffet daze came to an end.

In the Texas Hill Country, where I grew up, all-you-can-eat catfish parlors, barns and cabins are outnumbered only by Tex-Mex cantinas and barbecue pits. The standard catfish emporium is centered on fillets densely breaded in cornmeal served by the barrel. Oklahoma has no shortage of these kinds of establishments. My tolerance for this heavy-handed approach to catfish ended before my mullet reached shoulder-length.
That's not to say I quit on it completely, but catfish got the same kind of treatment as turtlenecks, Steve Miller CDs and “Cheers” reruns. That is, until I tried the Catfish Amandine at Cajun King.

“I want the catfish to be light,” chef Ken Mills, a New Orleans native, said. “I want it to melt in your mouth like butter.”

Melt it does but not before a pass through the sweet-and-spicy Creole mustard called tiger sauce, if you're smart.

Neither the catfish nor the beignets are served on the buffet but rather to your table. While you're waiting you'll find a buffet that includes Cajun staples such as dirty rice, blackened pork chops along with Southern favorites such as collard greens and potatoes. You'll also find some of the best fried chicken in town along with Cajun pasta and bread pudding. The collard greens are true soul food, flavored with all the goodness the Lord gave from Brother Pig. The potatoes derive salt from the same source. Pork is a common theme along the buffet, which makes sense for this concept.

Low simmering only enhances the flavor the jambalaya, gumbo, crawfish etouffee and saucy white and red beans. Meanwhile, the fried chicken and blackened pork chops disappear so quickly, they're constantly being refreshed.

What I haven't mentioned is the value. At $8.99 for lunch and $9.99 for dinner, the value is among the city's best.

So popular has Cajun King been that Mills and his partner, Simeon Adda, recently reached a lease agreement for a second location in Norman. The new Cajun King will be in the building on Ed Noble Parkway where many restaurants failed before it, including Bellini's and Pearl's.

“The landlord told me it'd been five different restaurants,” Mills said. “I told them that didn't scare me, because if that hadn't happened, I wouldn't have this opportunity.”

Mills hopes to have the location open by summer.

The current location is in a strip mall where Godfather's Pizza once thrived. The atmosphere is minimalist to be kind, but that's not the focus.
When he asked our photographer David McDaniel about some of the best barbecue joints he's visited around the state, McDaniel asked if he preferred atmosphere or flavor.
Mills responded, “Atmosphere? Who cares about atmosphere. It's all about flavor.”

http://mood.newsok.com/cajun-king-rules-the-kingdom-of-catfish/article/3544989?custom_click=lead_story_photo#ixzz1FOrL4Bp 7

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 08:10 PM
He better do something besides catfish or he's ****ed.

Partial Qualifier
3/1/2011, 08:11 PM
Not to mention that location is the kiss-o-death.

yermom
3/1/2011, 08:18 PM
i heard that was a testing spot for restaurants more than a place for them to die.

could have been BS though. that place and the corner of White and Buchanan in Campus Corner have turned over A LOT.

i miss Uncle Donnie's :(

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 08:22 PM
I miss Denco's. And the IU. And Walter Mitty's.

yermom
3/1/2011, 08:27 PM
i just mean at that spot. i don't think it was even a restaurant when i got to Norman.

we have another IU now, don't we?

where was Walter Mitty's? the Firehouse? Sugers? i remember hearing about it, but it was before my time.

the other place on Campus Corner i miss is the Quarter House.

Boarder
3/1/2011, 08:29 PM
That place next to Midas on Lindsey is doomsville, too.

I love bread pudding, but that pic looks sickening.

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 08:32 PM
Just what Norman/OK needs, more restaurants...

soonervegas
3/1/2011, 09:24 PM
Cajun King is awesome, but I wonder if a joint that big is smart......we shall see.

silverwheels
3/1/2011, 09:41 PM
Luckily I live about 2 minutes away from the first Cajun King if the one in Norman doesn't work out.

Ctina
3/1/2011, 10:27 PM
That is over by PetSmart, right? When the hell was there ever a Godfather's there? We haven't had a Godfather's here since the 80's and that area has only been built up in the last 10-15 years.

It's not a bad location, there are plenty of other restaurants there. Just haven't had a really good, crowd pulling restaurant there.

silverwheels
3/1/2011, 10:34 PM
Nah, the PetSmart I think you're thinking of is at 63rd and May. Cajun King is at 63rd and MacArthur. It was some hole-in-the-wall breakfast/diner place before the King moved in.

Boarder
3/1/2011, 10:38 PM
That is over by PetSmart, right? When the hell was there ever a Godfather's there? We haven't had a Godfather's here since the 80's and that area has only been built up in the last 10-15 years.

It's not a bad location, there are plenty of other restaurants there. Just haven't had a really good, crowd pulling restaurant there.
The current location of Cajun King at 5816 NW 63 in OKC is in a strip mall that had a Godfather's Pizza.

The new location in Norman is over by Petsmart in the building that has had a bunch of different restaurants that failed. One being Pearls, a place that served Cajun food.

sooner59
3/1/2011, 11:27 PM
I started going to the new "original" Pearls near the Belle Isle Wal-Mart and I love that place. The crab dip is allsome.

OUMallen
3/2/2011, 09:56 AM
Cajun King is awesome, but I wonder if a joint that big is smart......we shall see.

That's what I was thinking. CK is really legit, but that is a BIG location for what is basically a small Cici's sized buffet.

TUSooner
3/2/2011, 10:24 AM
A Cajun buffet? That just doesn't sound right. I'd probly give it a try, though.

OUMallen
3/2/2011, 10:43 AM
A Cajun buffet? That just doesn't sound right. I'd probly give it a try, though.

I know, I know. But it's legit. If you can get to the one on 63rd, it's like- it won't just blo w your socks off or anything, but you'll be glad you did.

Boomer.....
3/2/2011, 11:05 AM
That restaurant will be closed in less than 6 months.

SoonerBorn
3/2/2011, 03:01 PM
Cajun King is great - been going there for a while. The owners mentioned to us a while back that they were looking at this location in Norman, and we tried to discourage them. They're good people, so I hope this works out for them. We'll definitely do our part to keep their doors open. :)

The catfish is unlimited and brought to your table, but the rest of their menu is on a buffet. Works out great. The tiger sauce with the catfish is awesome.

delhalew
3/3/2011, 01:46 AM
I'll try it. If the gumbo and etouffee are legit, I'll support it. If they don't have boudin, they should.

The Profit
3/3/2011, 10:51 AM
I've been to the one of 63rd. Its owned by refugees of Katrina, which means that the food is authentic Cajun. The gumbo and jambalaya were really good, as was the catfish. If you have ever been to Mother's in New Orleans, the food is similar to what you would find there. There is nothing fancy about Cajun King, but the food is good.

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 01:43 PM
Looks awesome. I miss OKC Pearl's, haven't been in a few years. Here in Tulsa, Copeland's is the place to go for excellent cajun food. The crawfish etoufee is similar to Pearl's but a tad spicier/better.

Best bread pudding in Tulsa is at TeKe's (similar to PF Chang).

C&CDean
3/3/2011, 02:27 PM
I've been to the one of 63rd. Its owned by refugees of Katrina, which means that the food is authentic Cajun. The gumbo and jambalaya were really good, as was the catfish. If you have ever been to Mother's in New Orleans, the food is similar to what you would find there. There is nothing fancy about Cajun King, but the food is good.

If they don't have about 6-7 black ladies behind the counter dishing up your grub cafeteria style, and part of that grub includes grits with debris, then it's NOTHING like Mother's.

I used to travel with a guy who played O-line at OU during Switzer's last year and Gibbs' first. Dude has red hair, a perfectly square head, crewcut, jaw, big-time body builder, the whole deal. Maybe 6'2" and about 275. No neck.

Anyhow, we're going through the line and one of the black ladies goes "are you Brock Lesnar?" This was before the days of UFC and when Lesnar was a WWF type guy. Anyhow, Dalton goes "yes ma'am, I sure am." He didn't have a clue who Brock Lesnar was (and neither did I).

The lady goes "I knowed it, I knowed it, Clarice, dis here be Brock Lesnar!!" All the other ladies started freaking out asking for autographs and crap. I was cracking up. Then little kids start coming to the table wanting their pictures taken with him. He'd set them on his lap and go "just stay in school and don't do drugs" and bunch of that kind of stuff. It was hilarious.

We walk out and he goes "who the hell is Brock Lesnar?" I go "no clue, but you must be a dead ringer." After actually seeing pics of Lesnar, no doubt, dead ringer.

OhU1
3/3/2011, 02:46 PM
Dude has red hair, a perfectly square head, crewcut, jaw, big-time body builder, the whole deal. Maybe 6'2" and about 275. No neck.

Anyhow, we're going through the line and one of the black ladies goes "are you Brock Lesnar?" This was before the days of UFC and when Lesnar was a WWF type guy. Anyhow, Dalton goes "yes ma'am, I sure am." He didn't have a clue who Brock Lesnar was (and neither did I).

We walk out and he goes "who the hell is Brock Lesnar?" I go "no clue, but you must be a dead ringer." After actually seeing pics of Lesnar, no doubt, dead ringer.

I know who you're talking about. D.Y. does look like Brock Lesner. He also has the short legs of a 5'9 man even though he is 6'2.

Not many folks can fake being Lesner and have anyone believe it. :D

C&CDean
3/3/2011, 02:51 PM
Yup. That be him.

The Profit
3/3/2011, 02:54 PM
The thread got me hungry for Cajun food. I just got back from Cajun King. There are, indeed, five or six ladies heavy black ladies cooking and filling trays on the buffet line. You're right. It is not exactly like Mothers though. I know exactly what you are saying. At Mothers, you go down the line, and they ask you, "what you havin?" Plus, Mothers has a great debris poboy. The Jambalaya at Cajun King is not as good as Mothers, but the gumbo is good, as is the crayfish etoufee.

I asked the guy, who seemed to be the owner, if they were putting a new place in Norman, and he said he was thinking about it, but that it wasn't definite.

C&CDean
3/3/2011, 02:55 PM
Cool. I may have to try it then.

Boomer.....
5/18/2011, 09:56 AM
Is this open yet?

DRLSooner
5/18/2011, 12:14 PM
Is this open yet?

As of last Thursday, no.

Taxman71
5/18/2011, 12:23 PM
The Norman mall is also getting a Sun and Ski store since you can never have enough NorthFace in Norman!

I am looking forward to their bike area though.