PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the final (Tuesday)

NMSooner'80
3/1/2011, 06:53 PM
OU 4, at UT-Arlington, 3. Per GameTracker, it ended on a double play by OU to preserve the win.

Soonerite
3/1/2011, 07:37 PM
Overton came in and had a nice game in relief. 3 hits, no runs, and 6 k's in 5 innings. Tough day at the plate, we hit into 3 double plays. But a win is a win.

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 07:45 PM
Uh huh. Before we go boasting about our enourmous BATS, let's face folks who can pitch.

Nice win. We've got BP to do.

bcolston15
3/1/2011, 08:01 PM
Uh huh. Before we go boasting about our enourmous BATS, let's face folks who can pitch.

Nice win. We've got BP to do.

LOL. One off day and we've got work to do? This was an impossible spot and we still won.

Great work from Overton and Mayfield today.

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 08:08 PM
In my mind, if we're "NC caliber bats" we need to pound UT-Arlington into maybe Juarez somewhere. I think we're really good. I think we need to get really better.

bcolston15
3/1/2011, 08:15 PM
In my mind, if we're "NC caliber bats" we need to pound UT-Arlington into maybe Juarez somewhere. I think we're really good. I think we need to get really better.

UTA always plays us tough down there. No way should we have expected to go down there and pound out 15 runs on 20 hits.

bcolston15
3/1/2011, 08:23 PM
Just because we can mash doesn't mean there won't be days we win 4-3, 3-2, 5-4, etc.

northspeter
3/1/2011, 08:39 PM
guess what c&c we might lose a game or 12 this year and still play for it alll...

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 09:00 PM
Oh I'm good with losing a few games...12? No, we won't be "playing for it all" if we lose 12.

This team is good enough to run the table. Really. I know Dallas/Baptist/ORU/Arlington/Houston always give us fits, and I'm damned happy to walk away with a W. I just think this team is special. Really special. Maybe once every 25-years special. We have that kind of potential. Let me vent fer chrissakes.

Sooner95
3/1/2011, 09:05 PM
Agree. Thx for the update, I was to busy and didn't get a chance to watch.

Win's a win..first road game too.

northspeter
3/1/2011, 09:33 PM
Oh I'm good with losing a few games...12? No, we won't be "playing for it all" if we lose 12.

south carolina lost 16 last year and won it all...

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 11:06 PM
So. We ain't South Carolina.

bcolston15
3/1/2011, 11:14 PM

This team is good enough to run the table. Really. I know Dallas/Baptist/ORU/Arlington/Houston always give us fits, and I'm damned happy to walk away with a W. I just think this team is special. Really special. Maybe once every 25-years special. We have that kind of potential. Let me vent fer chrissakes.

I bet you couldn't find five teams that won a title with less than 12 losses.

IndySooner
3/1/2011, 11:16 PM

I'll bet you any amount you want that the national champion has 12+ losses. I've gone back to 2003 and haven't found a team who won it with less than 12 losses. Not going to waste my time going back further than that.

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 11:36 PM
Nah, I won't bet you. You're absolutely right. I just think this team has what it takes to be something really special. If our pitching comes around, I just don't see us losing 12 games though. We probably will, but I don't want a half-dozen of them being against Dallas Baptist/Arlington/ORU/half-a-dozen other tough little Dallas/Texas teams. We'll lose some in the Big-12 I know, but dangit, I don't wanna. 10-0 sounds good. 20-0 sounds better.

bcolston15
3/2/2011, 12:22 AM
Nah, I won't bet you. You're absolutely right. I just think this team has what it takes to be something really special. If our pitching comes around, I just don't see us losing 12 games though. We probably will, but I don't want a half-dozen of them being against Dallas Baptist/Arlington/ORU/half-a-dozen other tough little Dallas/Texas teams. We'll lose some in the Big-12 I know, but dangit, I don't wanna. 10-0 sounds good. 20-0 sounds better.

I hear what you're saying, but, I think the best UT teams lost five or six Big 12 games plus a few non-conference games.

I do think this is a 50 win club, though.

Soonerjeepman
3/2/2011, 09:25 AM
I don't want to go to the WS WITHOUT any losses....sorry..just superstition but there is no way a college team can win it all with no losses...makes kids hunger, down to earth...we NEED a loss or two....or more...hell all I care is win the Big 12, get into the WS and win...

who cares how many losses we have...

IndySooner
3/2/2011, 09:53 AM
I think there are still MANY unanswered questions about this team. There are very few, if any, holes, but I'm not sure HOW good we are.

soonerguild
3/2/2011, 10:01 AM
My concern isn't the bats, its defense, the only reason the game was close is because we blew a double play that ended up giving them their two run inning. My other concern is why duke hasn't pitched. I might have missed something as to why he is sitting, but we are not going to the cows with jack mayfield as our closer and shotty defense up the middle of our infield.

I agree with c&c though, this team has a ton of talent so we are going to be picky when it comes to some things, after going to the CWS last year and bringing back a ton, the expectations this year are the highest they have been in over 20 years.

soonerguild
3/2/2011, 10:13 AM
Just saw duke was suspended, lets hope he has his head right when he comes back, these types of things can go two ways, either he is hungry or he is already gone.

IndySooner
3/2/2011, 10:16 AM
My concern isn't the bats, its defense, the only reason the game was close is because we blew a double play that ended up giving them their two run inning. My other concern is why duke hasn't pitched. I might have missed something as to why he is sitting, but we are not going to the cows with jack mayfield as our closer and shotty defense up the middle of our infield.

I agree with c&c though, this team has a ton of talent so we are going to be picky when it comes to some things, after going to the CWS last year and bringing back a ton, the expectations this year are the highest they have been in over 20 years.

Duke is suspended for the first 15 days.

Another thing to remember is that the coaching staff is trying out a TON of new things through this pre-conference schedule. The lineups/rotations that we're seeing now will NOT be the same come conference time as they are right now.

I like the mentality of the staff right now. They're on track. I like the fact that they're not taking any crap. This has to be a PERFECT team by June or we won't achieve our goals.

bcolston15
3/2/2011, 12:44 PM
I think the defense will improve drastically once Bushyhead returns.

Sooner74
3/2/2011, 12:53 PM
FYI we beat South Carolina last year. So saying we aren't South Carolina is a farse. I wouldn't be worried about these games because stuff like that happens in all sports. If we consistently are getting 3 runs a game and our pitchers give 2 runs; it's a win. No matter how you cut it or whine, this team is going to be really special this year and we will get a lot better too, which is scary.