PDA

View Full Version : Got this idea from another board

boomermagic
3/1/2011, 04:31 PM
If, You could pick ANY Sooner from the past to come back at his playing talent level and play next season who would you pick ? Pick one for O and One for D.

Dupree

LeeRoy

SoonerDan74012
3/1/2011, 04:35 PM
Offense - Tossup between Marcus Dupree and AD. No disrespect to Q, DeMarco, Little Joe, Billy etc.
Defense - Superman of course!

Mississippi Sooner
3/1/2011, 04:35 PM
Can I throw a special teams player in there and ask for Uwe von Schamann?

sooner59
3/1/2011, 04:36 PM
Lee Roy Selmon on defense.

Offense is tougher for me. I would either want a pickem between Dupree and Peterson or I would go for the X-factor and take Gresham.

boomermagic
3/1/2011, 04:38 PM
None of our first 4 suggestions include Sam.. I can't believe that.. lol

KantoSooner
3/1/2011, 04:41 PM
Dupree

LeeRoy

And it's not even terribly close. You might get a quibble on Dupree, but LeeRoy swatted people down one handed at full extension, made tough men cry and, it was said, could make it rain by yelling at the sky and stomping his foot.

boomermagic
3/1/2011, 04:43 PM
And it's not even terribly close. You might get a quibble on Dupree, but LeeRoy swatted people down one handed at full extension, made tough men cry and, it was said, could make it rain by yelling at the sky and stomping his foot.

True dat !

BoulderSooner79
3/1/2011, 04:51 PM
Sam

LeeRoy

tfoolry
3/1/2011, 04:56 PM
Keith Jackson & the Boz. Not necessarily the best, but they would definitely bring a little Sooner Swagger back.

Mike Stoops
3/1/2011, 05:03 PM
Offense-Sam. AD in a close second.

Defense-Lee Roy. Wasn't even alive when he played but the stories are the stuff of legend. Howie Long was on the DP Show not too long ago and said Lee Roy was the best he ever saw play the game.

SoonerDan74012
3/1/2011, 05:05 PM
Offense-Sam. AD in a close second.

Defense-Lee Roy. Wasn't even alive when he played but the stories are the stuff of legend. Howie Long was on the DP Show not too long ago and said Lee Roy was the best he ever saw play the game.

Shouldn't you be out recruiting? :P

BlackwellSooner
3/1/2011, 05:34 PM
Adrian Peterson, with Billy Sims a close second. Marcus doesn't make the cut simply because of his attitude problems.

Lee Roy, although I would add the caveat that I'd like to see him beef up under Schmitty; Pound for pound, GK might be a better defensive choice, when you consider that GK was playing at around 290 vs Lee Roy playing at probably 255.

These choices are because of our needs next year: For a great shot at a national championship, we need to have a dominating interior D.
And we need an outstanding running attack more than we need a great quarterback, or I'd pick Sammy.

Salt City Sooner
3/1/2011, 05:41 PM
Considering the Fleming situation, I'm having difficulty believing Derrick Strait hasn't been mentioned yet.

As for O, if we didn't have Finch, believe it or not, I think I'd take Q at RB over the other 2. Our current OL hasn't proven to be the most physical version there, & I can easily see Q getting through those smaller holes cleaner than just about anybody in recent memory. He's also had better side to side shakes than Finch has displayed to this point. I am in NO way saying that he's better than AD or Dupree, that'd be silly. I just think he'd fit the current offense better as a whole.

My 1A choice on O would be either Gresh or Jackson.

jersey sooner
3/1/2011, 05:53 PM
Considering the Fleming situation, I'm having difficulty believing Derrick Strait hasn't been mentioned yet.

As for O, if we didn't have Finch, believe it or not, I think I'd take Q at RB over the other 2. Our current OL hasn't proven to be the most physical version there, & I can easily see Q getting through those smaller holes cleaner than just about anybody in recent memory. He's also had better side to side shakes than Finch has displayed to this point. I am in NO way saying that he's better than AD or Dupree, that'd be silly. I just think he'd fit the current offense better as a whole.

My 1A choice on O would be either Gresh or Jackson.

I like your style sir. Derrick Strait and AD just because we have Finch.

Boomer.....
3/1/2011, 05:54 PM
Lil Joe

Boz

sooner59
3/1/2011, 05:54 PM
I nearly said Derrick Strait as well. I'm just more worried about the d-line than the d-backs.

Dwight
3/1/2011, 05:58 PM
Derrick Strait - this team needs a shutdown DB
AD - enough said.

SoonerDomiNation
3/1/2011, 06:29 PM
everage
gresham

OK2U
3/1/2011, 06:47 PM
special teams: Antonio Perkins, baby

TahoeSOONER
3/1/2011, 06:48 PM
First person I thought of was Derrick Strait.

Then I went to the Oline with a Duke Robinson or J. Brown but I'll go with Duke in his prime.

sooner518
3/1/2011, 06:50 PM
AD on offense. Sam is obviously an improvement over Landry, but not THAT big. there are better places to address

on D, I take Lee Roy or Tommie Harris. or Strait just because Im nervous about our secondary

OK2U
3/1/2011, 06:54 PM
How 'bout that Demarcus Murray Bob Barry loves so much.
A hybrid D-tackle halfback.

soonerloyal
3/1/2011, 07:19 PM

I second that.

That fella was a joy to behold. Golden foot. Golden.

cyclonesooner
3/1/2011, 07:25 PM
Billy Sims and Brian Bosworth.

bixby28
3/1/2011, 07:28 PM
The Boz-Defense
Greg Pruitt-Offense

Leroy Lizard
3/1/2011, 08:29 PM
Mark Clayton. With Clayton and Broyles in the WR corps no D stands a chance.

On D, Bosworth.

CarolinaSoonerFan
3/1/2011, 08:43 PM
Lee Roy - Just because I would love to see him play!

Dupree - Same reason

GrandStrandSooner
3/1/2011, 08:49 PM
Selmon on D.

Demond Parker, Joe Washington or Jamal Brown on O.

GDC
3/1/2011, 10:03 PM
Rod Shoate or Torrance Marshall

any one of several good o-lineman with a mean streak like Steve Williams or Jim Weatherall

Joe
3/1/2011, 10:08 PM
I'd rather take 2 guys from the defense but that's neither here nor there.

LeeRoy
Gresham

I'm afraid it'd take more than 1 guy to have any sort of noticeable impact on the running game against the top teams. Maybe even a philosophy/coaching change.

StoopTroup
3/1/2011, 10:17 PM
Sam

TRRW

Dupree? I feel he was good and listening to his latest explanation did really help me deal as a SoonerFan as to why he made the decision he did but I wouldn't want to go through any of that again same as smellofbourbon or Blake.

StoopTroup
3/1/2011, 10:19 PM
The Boz-Defense
Greg Pruitt-Offense

They'd be next if I couldn't pick Sam or Roy.

70sooner
3/1/2011, 10:50 PM

if you were lucky enough to have seen Lee Roy play, it would be a no brainer, period. He has to be the best defensive player in OU history, period.

Little Joe was deceptively fast and could turn on a dime and give you nine cents in change. All you have to do is watch some of his highlights to understand. Greg Pruitt was very similar. Billy Simms? What can you say? Marcus Dupree, as they say what could have been. AD, nuff said. OU has been blessed with some incredible running backs over the years and I've seen all of the above play, plus too many more to mention.......

As for QB, the Godfather of the WB. Sam was incredible, but Jack was the man!~

but then, I'm old, so what do I know?

mehip
3/1/2011, 11:58 PM
Ley Roy of course.....But, with all of these Boz suggestions I am surprised no one has mentioned the unsung hero of that defense....Tony Casillas.

Leroy Lizard
3/2/2011, 12:11 AM
Ley Roy of course.....But, with all of these Boz suggestions I am surprised no one has mentioned the unsung hero of that defense....Tony Casillas.

Unsung?

madillsoonerfan5353
3/2/2011, 08:45 AM
I still don't get all the hate towards LJ. The kid is 2-0 in Bowl games, 1-0 against *saxet* as a starter, has a Big 12 Championship and a BCS Bowl win. I know that LJ has some bad moments, but in the end the kid is a winner and will lead us to number 8 IMO. I know that LJ didn't beat the world beaters :rolleyes: that Sam played in his two bowl game but come on.

:gary:

boomermagic
3/2/2011, 09:08 AM
I still don't get all the hate towards LJ. The kid is 2-0 in Bowl games, 1-0 against *saxet* as a starter, has a Big 12 Championship and a BCS Bowl win. I know that LJ has some bad moments, but in the end the kid is a winner and will lead us to number 8 IMO. I know that LJ didn't beat the world beaters :rolleyes: that Sam played in his two bowl game but come on.

Did someone say they hate Landry ?

CrimsonCommando
3/2/2011, 10:12 AM
Offense - Troy Aikman

Defense- Scott Case or Ricky Dixon

soonercastor
3/2/2011, 10:13 AM
Well, if you think about it Sam would be a be choice technically. Think of a great at a position at which we kinda suck right now; QB really isn't a concern.

pphilfran
3/2/2011, 10:31 AM
I take a different road...

Little Joe and Jimbo Elrod...

Jimbo because it seemed like he got a sack every play...

Little Joe...cause he is Little Joe...

NormanPride
3/2/2011, 11:04 AM
Jammal Brown

and just to be different I say Tommie Harris. Why the heck not? He was almost as good as Lee Roy and I actually got to see him play.

madillsoonerfan5353
3/2/2011, 11:19 AM
Did someone say they hate Landry ?

No, but for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to replace him. Sure Sam is a special person and player and I loved watching Sam torch defenses, but if someone isn't convinced by now that LJ has what it takes to get us number 8, they never will. Like mentioned before we have bigger needs on this team other than qb. Back to the op I would go with AD and Marshall.

boomermagic
3/2/2011, 11:25 AM
I understand what your saying but the word HATE should not be used... LJ is a fine qb and we should all accept the fact that there are very few Sam's out there I have and I think most have.. We are in good hands with Landry.. Does someone actually want Landry replaced ? Didn't know that.

madillsoonerfan5353
3/2/2011, 12:17 PM
I understand what your saying but the word HATE should not be used... LJ is a fine qb and we should all accept the fact that there are very few Sam's out there I have and I think most have.. We are in good hands with Landry.. Does someone actually want Landry replaced ? Didn't know that.

No just a couple in this thread said they would bring Sam the Man back?

deweydw
3/2/2011, 12:57 PM
AD, so he can get his Heisman Trophy.

PLaw
3/2/2011, 01:02 PM
On D: Lee Roy, Tommie H., or GK

On O: Wow, this is tough. For this year's team, I'd say Billy, Keith Jackson, or AD.

Anyone of those six, improves this team dramatically.

ratherthanlater
3/2/2011, 01:39 PM
Jammal Brown

and just to be different I say Tommie Harris. Why the heck not? He was almost as good as Lee Roy and I actually got to see him play.

Those were my picks as well.

SoonerinSouthlake
3/2/2011, 06:24 PM
Troy Aikman

Boz- I know may be some more talented....but he brought the attitude this team has lacked for a while

oudivesherpa
3/2/2011, 07:50 PM
Blake Griffin (I know he played BB) as a TE/Wide Receiver. Just think of trying to cover our current receivers plus Blake.

OUmillenium
3/3/2011, 10:38 AM
Troy Aikman

Boz

Sonner magic923
3/3/2011, 10:48 AM
Gresham- I think Landry's game would benefit with a great tight end

Torrence Marshall- The D just seemed to play nasty with this guy

boomermagic
3/3/2011, 10:54 AM
No just a couple in this thread said they would bring Sam the Man back?

Well, Sam is better than Landry don't you agree ? That sure doesn't mean they HATE Landry.. If I had a team and I had a choice between Sam and Landry I guess you would say I HATE Landry because I would sure as hell pick Sam.. I have sang Landry's praises all along because he is very good but Sam is a true great one that just doesn't come along very often.. You need to accept that and understand why people still talk about and prefer Sam.. Hell, I'd rather have Sam than Jason White does that mean I HATE Jason ? HELL NO...

Mississippi Sooner
3/3/2011, 11:46 AM
Aikman is in interesting choice. I wonder, if Aikman was playing in our current offense rather than our offense of the mid-80s, could he have been another Heisman winner.

oudavid1
3/3/2011, 02:47 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2whk0pe.jpg

meant to post this a few days ago.

jersey sooner
3/3/2011, 03:36 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/93746370de.jpg

BigTip
3/3/2011, 10:50 PM
Blake Griffin (I know he played BB) as a TE/Wide Receiver. Just think of trying to cover our current receivers plus Blake.
And the great post-touchdown dunks of the ball over the goal post!

BigTip
3/3/2011, 10:55 PM
Sam is obviously an improvement over Landry, but not THAT big. there are better places to address

That's why such an obvious, recent player, choice didn't come into my head. I keep hoping/thinking/WILLING Landry to develop into a Bradford-like talent. He has shown flashes of it, he just needs to consistently perform like he is capable of. Quit hearing footsteps!!

BigTip
3/3/2011, 10:58 PM

This.

I suppose the kicking game got better by the end of the year, but I was so gun shy from all the earlier fails, I cringed every time we had to attempt a field goal.

d.stOUgh
3/4/2011, 08:28 AM
Rod Shoate or Torrance Marshall

any one of several good o-lineman with a mean streak like Steve Williams or Jim Weatherall

For me (1st College FB game I went to was the '71 OU/neb) it would be two friends of mine...

o-line: steve williams (r.i.p. Doc)

d-line: mike reilly...LB/DE

sozo
3/5/2011, 11:05 AM
Tinker Owens

Richard Dillion

:D

Piware
3/6/2011, 11:33 PM
Little Joe and LeeRoy

jersey sooner
3/6/2011, 11:53 PM
For everyone who said LeeRoy: I have often wondered if I'm the only person who thinks athletes have evolved at a rather alarming pace over the last century. I know LeeRoy was just unstoppable, but I think if you popped Gerald McCoy in a time machine, he would have been just as much of a terror in 74. Jim Brown was arguably the greatest football player of all time, but when you watch highlights of him and then highlights of AD, AD looks like the vastly superior athlete. The question was "any player at their playing talent", and I was kind of surprised to see all these old names. I'm not saying they wouldn't be good, but would they really be able to dominate the athletes of today?

BigJerm7
3/7/2011, 02:41 AM
Dupree or Jason White

Boz or Dan Cody.

MamaMia
3/7/2011, 09:10 PM
D...Lee Roy Selmon, who I never ever saw being blocked off his feet.

O...Joe Washington, who fielded punts, ran and hurdled like a gazelle. The famous run back at USC..un-believeable.

If I may...an honorable mention for Antonio Perkins. :D

CarolinaSoonerFan
3/8/2011, 12:54 PM
For everyone who said LeeRoy: I have often wondered if I'm the only person who thinks athletes have evolved at a rather alarming pace over the last century. I know LeeRoy was just unstoppable, but I think if you popped Gerald McCoy in a time machine, he would have been just as much of a terror in 74. Jim Brown was arguably the greatest football player of all time, but when you watch highlights of him and then highlights of AD, AD looks like the vastly superior athlete. The question was "any player at their playing talent", and I was kind of surprised to see all these old names. I'm not saying they wouldn't be good, but would they really be able to dominate the athletes of today?

Your point is probably true, but just think about how much better LeeRoy would have been with todays training and conditioning tools. I am not saying that he was not in shape, but today so much strength,speed and weight can be added to a player.

ashley
3/8/2011, 05:02 PM
I can't even imagine anyone saying Dupree. He quit the team and didn't even finish the year. Good heavens, what can these people be thinking. Potential never did a thing.

the-rover
3/8/2011, 05:17 PM
I'd give Dupree another chance.....

that said, give me Sims or Little Joe on offense, LeeRoy or TRRW on D

jersey sooner
3/8/2011, 05:21 PM
Your point is probably true, but just think about how much better LeeRoy would have been with todays training and conditioning tools. I am not saying that he was not in shape, but today so much strength,speed and weight can be added to a player.

Yea, that absolutely plays a big part of it.

GrandStrandSooner
3/8/2011, 07:28 PM
I've heard Switzer say Selmon could play today but he would probably have quite a few more pounds on him.

boomermagic
3/8/2011, 08:53 PM

YES, Some if not MOST could.. Leeroy was the very best I've ever seen bar none on the line..

boomermagic
3/8/2011, 08:55 PM
I can't even imagine anyone saying Dupree. He quit the team and didn't even finish the year. Good heavens, what can these people be thinking. Potential never did a thing.

Well, I'm not talking just potential.. Did you see what he actually did on the field ? Best rb to ever **** between two shoes when he played.. Yes, he did quit. Dupree did finish the first year..

aero
3/8/2011, 10:19 PM
These kind of posts are always fun. Reminders of so many great players. It's pretty incredible. But thats why we have the history of greatness that we do. It's difficult to say who was the best. Except on defense. Really hard to go with anyone else but LeeRoy on defense. Offense is harder. Sims, Pruitt, Mildren, Sam, Joe, Josh, Jamelle, Lott, Davis.... goodness, you could just go on and on. How could you go wrong. If it was a player that played all games at his best I'd pick Jason White.