3/1/2011, 04:06 PM
And what is your level?

Level 1 First Time Skier, learn to stop
Level 2 Learn to turn in both directions using a wedge
Level 3 Explore the mountain using wedge turns
Level 4 Learn to match skis and skid turns
Level 5 Comfortably match skis and skid turns on advanced green terrain
Level 6 Ski open parallel turns on blue terrain
Level 7 Links turns on black terrain, working on technique in various snow conditions and carving blue terrain.
Level 8 Make parallel turns on black terrain and moguls with ease. Exploring extremes.
Level 9 Make dynamic parallel turns and ski double black diamonds

Just wondering. I'm basically a 7

Boomer.....
3/1/2011, 04:06 PM
I'm a snowboarder.

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 04:12 PM
Snowboarder now, used to ski level 9 when I did.

sappstuf
3/1/2011, 04:12 PM
I'm a snowboarder.

So you fall on your a$$ a great deal and routinely sit in front offloading area of lifts...

I'm a 7.. I think that is about as good as you can get skiing once every year or two.

JohnnyMack
3/1/2011, 04:13 PM
Here's a video of me skiing I took last month:

QliBL-AQiAY

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 04:13 PM
Btw anyone have a cabin I can use for free at spring break?

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 04:15 PM
So you fall on your a$$ a great deal and routinely sit in front offloading area of lifts...

I'm a 7.. I think that is about as good as you can get skiing once every year or two.

When I was going once a year I made it too about level 8 or 9. Could do pretty much anything I wanted.

Howzit
3/1/2011, 04:19 PM

My knees won't handle black terrain anymore. I had hoped to get up to Winter Park or Breck this year but work didn't agree.

IB4OU2
3/1/2011, 04:21 PM
Is there a level for Snow Angel Maker?

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 04:23 PM

My knees won't handle black terrain anymore. I had hoped to get up to Winter Park or Breck this year but work didn't agree.

Went to break this year, second day was -5 and got 6-8 inches on the mountain. Didn't get above freezing the rest of the trip. I normally go at spring beak, it was a lot colder than I was used to. Good thing was literally no lines.

JohnnyMack
3/1/2011, 04:31 PM
got 6-8 inches on the mountain.

Howzit calls that Thursday afternoon.

Mongo
3/1/2011, 04:39 PM
Level 7 skier

Jammin'
3/1/2011, 04:55 PM
Used to be a level 9 and my mind still believes I can be.

Luckily my body knows I'm a 5/6 now.

OUMallen
3/1/2011, 04:56 PM
6.5-7ish.

BillyBall
3/1/2011, 05:09 PM
6.5-7 as well. Always better by day 2 though.

SCOUT
3/1/2011, 05:15 PM
I having been in a VERY long time, but am going to Deer Valley at the end of this month. I can't wait.

Jammin'
3/1/2011, 05:21 PM
Ah yes, I'll be taking the family to Vail in a few weeks. Going to attempt to teach boy#1 to ski for the first time. He's almost 4. Boy#2 will have to wait, he's 1.

IB4OU2
3/1/2011, 05:26 PM
I having been in a VERY long time, but am going to Deer Valley at the end of this month. I can't wait.

I used to live in Park City, I love that area.

KantoSooner
3/1/2011, 05:31 PM
When I lived in Colorado? About an 8.

When I did a complete on my ACL combined with a partial on the MCL? About -2.5

Now? one $3500 knee brace away from about a 5-6.

You get old. It sucks.

jdsooner
3/1/2011, 05:33 PM
Six--hoping to go next year.

Ike
3/1/2011, 05:40 PM
How far negative does the level scale go. Because that's probably where I am.

picasso
3/1/2011, 06:13 PM
I'm about a 6 but I prefer to zip straight down the sucker most of the time. When I was in school in Santa Fe '93, the very first frickin day I go up with my buddy he blows his knee out.

Lost my wing man on day one.:mad:

SoCaliSooner
3/1/2011, 06:17 PM
Btw anyone have a cabin I can use for free at spring break?

Got a place near Sierra Summit out here in California. Gimme the dates and I'll see if anybody is renting it....we have around 4ft of snow in Shaver Lake and over 40" at China Peak this last weekend with about a 10" base...

1890MilesToNorman
3/1/2011, 07:00 PM
This was the only time in my life I was a tree hugger. :D

Whet
3/1/2011, 07:06 PM
I always liked to rip the old lift tickets off of the coworkers jackets when they came back from a trip and had those dangling from the zipper.

Blue
3/1/2011, 07:51 PM
level 6. I'll ski a bowl or black diamond though and not think twice. But I'll bust my *** the whole way down. I can ski the moguls out east, but they are more like glorified blues in the west.

I've been skiing about 10 times.

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 08:05 PM
I've skiied for about 35 years. I learned to ski in the Army. 210 cm skis with cross-country bindings, Mickey Mouse "vapor barrier" boots, etc.. Not pretty on downhill.

We decided to do a weekend and we rented skis. I rented some little 160s and tore it up. Started getting into it. By the time I was about 25, I'd be a 10 on your scale. Right now, I'm 53, and can honestly claim about a 5-6. I'll still do a double black diamond, but only if I know there's E-phones all the way down...

BTW, snowboarders are fags. Of the highest order. "ooh, let's be skater dudes on the mounteen with our baggy ****, bad attitude, and righteous numbnutedness..." Meh.

jkjsooner
3/1/2011, 08:06 PM
And what is your level?

Level 1 First Time Skier, learn to stop
Level 2 Learn to turn in both directions using a wedge
Level 3 Explore the mountain using wedge turns
Level 4 Learn to match skis and skid turns
Level 5 Comfortably match skis and skid turns on advanced green terrain
Level 6 Ski open parallel turns on blue terrain
Level 7 Links turns on black terrain, working on technique in various snow conditions and carving blue terrain.
Level 8 Make parallel turns on black terrain and moguls with ease. Exploring extremes.
Level 9 Make dynamic parallel turns and ski double black diamonds

Just wondering. I'm basically a 7

I'm a 7 if the black terrian doesn't include moguls. I love steep, hate bumps. I'm afraid I'll probably never get to 8.

Oh, and Park City / Deer Valley rocks and I hate the way snowboarders tear up the snow and block trails.

SoCaliSooner
3/1/2011, 08:25 PM
BTW, snowboarders are fags. Of the highest order. "ooh, let's be skater dudes on the mounteen with our baggy ****, bad attitude, and righteous numbnutedness..." Meh.
As a skater/surfer/snowboarder...I almost agree with your assessment with most of the baggy pant younger a-holes. For me, boarding was a natural progression from surfing and easier on my rebuilt left knee. I took it up in 1995 after ACL surgery.

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 08:40 PM
I've skiied for about 35 years. I learned to ski in the Army. 210 cm skis with cross-country bindings, Mickey Mouse "vapor barrier" boots, etc.. Not pretty on downhill.

We decided to do a weekend and we rented skis. I rented some little 160s and tore it up. Started getting into it. By the time I was about 25, I'd be a 10 on your scale. Right now, I'm 53, and can honestly claim about a 5-6. I'll still do a double black diamond, but only if I know there's E-phones all the way down...

A lot of snowboarders can be dicks and unfortunately it's about 50/50 these days. And there is no shortage of newbs who think that snowboarding down the hill on their heel side the entire way, ****ing up a three foot path of snow makes them cool. If you can't do it, ski. But that's not what all the little kiddies want to be doing this day. I started out skiing, because there were no snowboards, and it made learning to do it a lot easier when I did. It's just a lot easier to pick up skiing for a few days if you don't go that often than to do the same with snowboarding. They probably both are equally hard to master, but if you have never been to the mountain I suggest stick to skiing. You can just pizza and french fry the entire way down, instead of just being on your knees/*** for the whole week. I've snowboarded about 5 or so times now and bought my own before last time I went about 2 months back. Next I want to at least rent skis for a day just to try it again.

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 08:54 PM
I'm heartened to see a couple of young whippersnappers who get it.

The average snowboarder is exactly like the average "jet skier." Young, dumb, no clue. If you're gonna board, be polite/considerate. Same goes for "jet skiing."

sooneron
3/1/2011, 10:19 PM
I really miss skiing in the rockies *sniff. Supposed to go this weekend, but the forecast is no bueno. May have to wait a couple of weeks. We've gotten so much snow up here that the bases are holding together pretty well. Only the glades/trees are a little sloppy.
I hope to hit Utah (again) in the next couple of years.

sooneron
3/1/2011, 10:39 PM
& LOL! from epicski.com - review on Wolf Creek, CO

On non holiday weekdays WC is blissfully empty but on holidays and weekends it is miserable. Those slow chairs get stopped two to three times per ride as Texans and Oklahomans who ride once a year fall off or can't load right.

Boarder
3/1/2011, 10:45 PM
BTW, snowboarders are fags.

YOU'RE A FAG!

FAG!

C&CDean
3/1/2011, 11:20 PM
Hey, you can't say that. Pink card.

sooneron
3/1/2011, 11:22 PM
Knuckle draggers. It is true though. About 50% of boarders really do suck on the hill.

MamaMia
3/1/2011, 11:47 PM
Snow skiing is fun if the weather is nice, but I love to water ski. I don't like to do either if its windy. :)

CowboyMRW
3/2/2011, 12:11 AM
I'm an 8-9. Been going since I could walk 2-3 times a year, except for these last 4 years that I've been at OSU. Only gone 1 time in the last 4 years. I love Wolf Creek btw. We always stay in Pagosa Springs and have a lot of fun there. Winter Park though is a good one the couple times I've been there.

texaspokieokie
3/2/2011, 08:37 AM
I'm heartened to see a couple of young whippersnappers who get it.

The average snowboarder is exactly like the average "jet skier." Young, dumb, no clue. If you're gonna board, be polite/considerate. Same goes for "jet skiing."

used to have "jet ski". may have been dumb, but not young. never on one till i was 54. they are a buncha fun. got a faster one after 3 summers & it was more fun.

Boomer.....
3/2/2011, 08:43 AM
Don't worry about Dean. He has a ski pole up his ***.

sooner_born_1960
3/2/2011, 09:12 AM
Probably a 7 if not moguls. I'm getting too old to get any better than that.

Sooner_Bob
3/2/2011, 09:23 AM
Water ski yes . . . snow ski no.

StoopTroup
3/2/2011, 09:39 AM

pphilfran
3/2/2011, 10:08 AM
A 6 or a 7 when I skied a lot...

After a day of skiing at Crested Butte...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/006.jpg

Position Limit
3/2/2011, 10:29 AM
For years Taos ski valley didnt allow snowboarding. And that was a big reason why i exclusively went to Taos. That and it's one of the better mountains in country. That all changed a few years ago and they now allow snowboarding. The mountain is as steep as they come, so it keeps the snowboarders in total check. which is nice.

sappstuf
3/2/2011, 10:40 AM
Knuckle draggers. It is true though. About 50% of boarders really do suck on the hill.

You're being exceptionally generous...

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 10:47 AM
You're being exceptionally generous...

Honestly though you could probably say the same thing about skiers. It's just if they suck they are either flying down the mountain or sitting at the lodge. And honestly it's a lot easier to just stand and wait on skis. You almost have to sit down while waiting on a snowboard. I had to give up skiing with my dad, seemed like I would spend more time in the snow waiting than I would actually boarding.

NormanPride
3/2/2011, 11:23 AM
I'm a six. And I miss it so damn much... I used to go every year back when I was in my teens, but we haven't been in a LONG time. I wouldn't mind moving to a mountain town just so I could ski all the time.

sappstuf
3/2/2011, 11:28 AM
Honestly though you could probably say the same thing about skiers. It's just if they suck they are either flying down the mountain or sitting at the lodge. And honestly it's a lot easier to just stand and wait on skis. You almost have to sit down while waiting on a snowboard. I had to give up skiing with my dad, seemed like I would spend more time in the snow waiting than I would actually boarding.

In the lodge is where people should be sitting. Where they should NOT be sitting is in front of the lift after they get off and are putting their bindings back on. It like a fu*(^%$ maze to get through them sometimes.

sooneron
3/2/2011, 11:30 AM
Honestly though you could probably say the same thing about skiers.

NO you couldn't. I know there are idiot skiers, but they are well in the minority-

10% on runs they shouldn't be or plowing side to side (sounds like a LOT of boarders)
15% skiing beyond their limit (speed wise)
10% - tools

You could double each of those first two for snowboarders. Nothing better than waiting atop a nice steep while a snowboarder is slip sliding his way down to a more gentle area. This happens to me around 50% of my ski day.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 11:31 AM
In the lodge is where people should be sitting. Where they should NOT be sitting is in front of the lift after they get off and are putting their bindings back on. It like a fu*(^%$ maze to get through them sometimes.

Eh not that hard. It's no different than skiing families stopping and taking pictures there. I'm nice enough to either go to the side or quick enough to not get in the way.

jumperstop
3/2/2011, 11:36 AM
NO you couldn't. I know there are idiot skiers, but they are well in the minority-

10% on runs they shouldn't be or plowing side to side (sounds like a LOT of boarders)
15% skiing beyond their limit (speed wise)
10% - tools

You could double each of those first two for snowboarders. Nothing better than waiting atop a nice steep while a snowboarder is slip sliding his way down to a more gentle area. This happens to me around 50% of my ski day.

I saw like three skiers fall in the ****ing line last time. They can suck and get in peoples way just as bad. For good skiers/boarders what other people are doing shouldn't matter.

sooneron
3/3/2011, 03:09 PM
I saw like three skiers fall in the ****ing line last time. They can suck and get in peoples way just as bad. For good skiers/boarders what other people are doing shouldn't matter.

This makes no sense. You would have to be an advanced intermediate/expert rider to avoid some of the idiocy out there. NO.Wrong.

Of course, this changes the whole lift issues altogether! :D

7H5oYHs7EJw

Sooner5030
3/3/2011, 03:25 PM
skiing is for posers.....I ride.

CO (except for Wolf Creek and a few others) is too saturated. The Utah area is very under appreciated. Snowbird and The Canyons rocked. Also, Teton Village in WY and Mt Bachelor, OR were great places I had never heard off but ran across. I also like Blackcomb (opposite of Whistler) but the drive from Seattle sucked as construction was going on.

Best overseas snow was in Sapporo, Japan (Ruzutzu & Niseko) and the accommodations were very reasonable....terrain was a little boring. Korea sucked both terrain and snow wise.

C&CDean
3/3/2011, 03:31 PM
skiing is for posers.....I ride.

CO (except for Wolf Creek and a few others) is too saturated. The Utah area is very under appreciated. Snowbird and The Canyons rocked. Also, Teton Village in WY and Mt Bachelor, OR were great places I had never heard off but ran across. I also like Blackcomb (opposite of Whistler) but the drive from Seattle sucked as construction was going on.

Best overseas snow was in Sapporo, Japan (Ruzutzu & Niseko) and the accommodations were very reasonable....terrain was a little boring. Korea sucked both terrain and snow wise.

Righteous. And gnarly. dude.

Sooner5030
3/3/2011, 03:36 PM
Righteous. And gnarly. dude.

I was actually joking......I just always say that because some 5 year old called me a poser one season. Too funny.

C&CDean
3/3/2011, 03:44 PM
Well to be truthful, about 90% of boarders are posers. Skiiers are just normal people trying to have fun.

Boomer.....
3/3/2011, 03:47 PM
Well to be truthful, about 90% of boarders are posers. Skiiers are just old people trying to go slow.

I know, right?

;)

C&CDean
3/3/2011, 03:48 PM
I got your old right here sonny.

yankee
3/3/2011, 03:59 PM
I'm a 6-7 skiier, and I've probably only been about 5 times. I'm going to Keystone/Breck next January again and I'm finally going to try snowboarding out. I know I'll spend a good chunk of the time on my butt/face, but I've wanted to learn for years. No lie, I even had a dream I was trying to put the bindings on correctly on a snowboard last night. It's fate.

soonerbrat
3/3/2011, 04:25 PM
I haven't been in 18 years. I'd say betwen 6-7 last time I went. but I hate cold so I quit going.

Jacie
3/3/2011, 05:27 PM
Been a long time since I've been, made it to level 6 on this scale (which seems to be the cutoff induced by aging). I never liked skiing down something when at the top my skis stuck way out over the edge and I couldn't see what it looked like till going over the precipice . . .

Angel Fire
Keystone
Vail
Wolf Creek
Steamboat Springs
Purgatory

GDC
3/3/2011, 11:47 PM
I used to really enjoy skiing, both water and snow, but I am too old and fat now and would probably die of either heart attack or massive blunt trauma, or both.

dwarthog
3/4/2011, 08:23 AM
I learned to ski while in the Army stationed in Italy. Got to ski 3 days a week during the season and made it to about an 8 level. It was a blast skiing in the Alps.

Never really did much skiing in the states when I got back except for a couple of times in Minnesota when I wiped about 20 years of dust off my ski's and spend a couple of hours on what passed for slopes up there, which isn't much.

What are lift tickets going for these days?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
3/4/2011, 08:52 AM
Level 7.

I don't wanna get any higher because I'm there to relax and slide down the hill. I also like to sample from a bouda-bag here and there.

My #1 trip of all time was 6 days on the slopes in the Wilder-Kaiser Basin in the Austrian Alps. Place was unbelievable. There were 94 lifts.

Howzit
3/4/2011, 09:34 AM
After reading Dean's stance on snow boarders, I believe I'll give it a try.

sooneron
3/13/2011, 10:31 PM
I learned to ski while in the Army stationed in Italy. Got to ski 3 days a week during the season and made it to about an 8 level. It was a blast skiing in the Alps.

Never really did much skiing in the states when I got back except for a couple of times in Minnesota when I wiped about 20 years of dust off my ski's and spend a couple of hours on what passed for slopes up there, which isn't much.

What are lift tickets going for these days?

Vail is >$100...

I can ski on Wed or Fri for $20/25 respectively at my home hill... It's not huge, but I have a good time there. It's run/owned by the state of NY. So... I guess tickets will be more next year!:mad:

Tailwind
3/14/2011, 12:08 PM
I do not snow ski. I have grown accustomed to having working knees. :D

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 12:34 PM

Lott's Bandana
3/14/2011, 01:06 PM
Used to get the $99.00 yearly pass to Homewood at Tahoe each year and got to be an easy mogul-less 7, with the added benefit of enjoying one of the great vistas in all the world.

Brilliant white and cobalt blue is hard to beat.

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 01:13 PM

SGA
3/14/2011, 04:04 PM

I want to give snowboarders the benefit of the doubt cuz they are just trying to enjoy the mountain like skiers, but they dress like Richards with their tall tees, bright colors and such and such. Two reasons not to ski Breck (a) too many g*ddamned snowboarders and (b) too many Texans. This all equates to miserable lift lines. No thanks.

Copper, Loveland, Winter Park and Steamboat blow Breck out of the water anyway. The high bowls at Breck are nice and the Imperial Chair at Breck serve some nice terain, I will admit, but it will be tracked out by gapers in one hour from the opening bell.

I'm a 9+ and ski about 25+ days a year. There isn't much inbounds in the state I'd be scared to rock. I don't get kicks out of groomers anymore, so you'll typically find me in hiking the Vasquez Cirque at Winter Park, the Chutes at A-Basin, the ridgeline on the back side of Copper, the chutes of Steamboat or the Continental Divide at Loveland.

SGA
3/14/2011, 04:05 PM
It was so relaxing at times in the Mountains. If you were on the lift or just to the side of a slope watching or off blazing through the trees it was just like God was watching his children enjoy the serenity of the wilderness there. I felt the same way on horseback in Oklahoma and in the Tetons before as well. It's hard to describe but when it's before you it just leaves you speechless and very calm. Incredible is a good word.

Great post. I get the same feeling skiing backcountry here and also climbing the 14ers.

SunnySooner
3/14/2011, 04:44 PM
I trashed my knee before I ever got very good, but I did love it when I went. We've never taken our kids, Hubby is pretty good, maybe we'll do that soon...some place in North Carolina has skiing, I've heard.

We went to Montana last fall, they were gearing up for ski season in Whitefish. For about $500, your kid can ski all season, includes a locker at the lodge and a break on rentals if you need it. The SKI BUS comes every Saturday morning, FREE, scoops 'em up, 7 minutes later they're on the hill, with whatever group their skill level puts 'em in. Ski Bus brings them back at dusk. Is that a deal or what?!?!?! It must be places like that Olympians and pros come from, they're Level 10s in first grade.

sooneron
3/14/2011, 09:10 PM
I trashed my knee before I ever got very good, but I did love it when I went. We've never taken our kids, Hubby is pretty good, maybe we'll do that soon...some place in North Carolina has skiing, I've heard.

We went to Montana last fall, they were gearing up for ski season in Whitefish. For about $500, your kid can ski all season, includes a locker at the lodge and a break on rentals if you need it. The SKI BUS comes every Saturday morning, FREE, scoops 'em up, 7 minutes later they're on the hill, with whatever group their skill level puts 'em in. Ski Bus brings them back at dusk. Is that a deal or what?!?!?! It must be places like that Olympians and pros come from, they're Level 10s in first grade.

I don't recommend skiing in NC. Been there...

sooneron
3/14/2011, 09:13 PM
I remember when vcr's were first out and folks suddenly had the abilty to purchase cheap video equipment and the way skiing was changed forever in depicting the sport. Previously you had guys going up there with film crews setting up stuff so it could promote the sport. It was fun to be a part of taking people skiing for their first time on sleeper buses out of Tulsa when I was younger. Seeing people master the bunny slope and 2 days later be able to see things from the top and be safe and then to see the transition to ski addiction was awesome. It happens pretty quick.

Good times. I miss being able to ski.

YOu should see Swift. Silent. Deep.- its the story of the Jackson Hole Air Force. Really good doc and they talk about Coombs a lot.
It's avail in HD on itunes.

StoopTroup
3/14/2011, 09:55 PM

sooneron
3/14/2011, 10:33 PM
Sounds like an anal porn video....wonder if JLEW has a copy? :D ;)

I think he and Howzit are the stars of the "alternative lifestyle" scene.

sooneron
3/14/2011, 10:37 PM
WP61I7w_EPw

SGA
3/15/2011, 12:55 AM
WP61I7w_EPw

That's awesome. I can honestly say that there is terrain in Jackson I wouldn't even consider skiing. Ever.

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 01:11 AM

GKeeper316
3/15/2011, 01:52 AM
id say im a 6-7

tried snowboarding once... knees couldnt take the impact of repeated falls, so i quit after 1 day.

King Barry's Back
3/15/2011, 08:54 AM
I'm a 6-7. Haven't skiied a lot the past few seasons -- I guess I averaged about 5-6 days on mountain the past three or four winters.

I now ski exclusively in the Alps. I live in Germany and my wife is from the Italian Alps -- my in-laws live 15 minutes from Val Gardena. And there is plenty of really great skiing in Germany, Austria, France and Italy. As well as some other countries.

This year my plan was to get in 30 days, and I even organized a ski trip for some of my colleagues.

But then I had knee surgery. And, YES, it was a skiing accident, thank you so much for asking. My second day out. :mad: :mad:

texaspokieokie
3/15/2011, 08:57 AM
I'm hell on a jet-ski, specially for my age.

sappstuf
3/15/2011, 08:57 AM
I'm a 6-7. Haven't skiied a lot the past few seasons -- I guess I averaged about 5-6 days on mountain the past three or four winters.

I now ski exclusively in the Alps. I live in Germany and my wife is from the Italian Alps -- my in-laws live 15 minutes from Val Gardena. And there is plenty of really great skiing in Germany, Austria, France and Italy. As well as some other countries.

This year my plan was to get in 30 days, and I even organized a ski trip for some of my colleagues.

But then I had knee surgery. And, YES, it was a skiing accident, thank you so much for asking. My second day out. :mad: :mad:

I have stayed at Val Gardena and skiied it and the Sella Ronda.. Best ski trip I ever made.

StoopTroup
3/15/2011, 08:59 AM

SC Sooner
3/15/2011, 09:38 AM
Put me down for an 8-9.

Lott's Bandana
3/15/2011, 12:05 PM
I am a 7/8. Going to Tahoe next week.

Where are you going to be?

The Sierras had an incredible snowpack before the New Year this year...I imagine the conditions will be sweet.

sooneron
3/24/2011, 09:45 AM
Skiing $25 Friday tomorrow at my little "home hill" in the Catskills! They just got 6" of freshies!

C&CDean
3/24/2011, 10:23 AM
Skiing $25 Friday tomorrow at my little "home hill" in the Catskills! They just got 6" of freshies!

I learned to ski in the Army when I was at Camp Drum, NY for cold weather training. A place called "Snow Ridge." We had to use the 240cc military skiis with the vapor barrier "Mickey Mouse" boots and rubber band bindings. I hated every second of it. Sweating like a pig and it was -5 outside.

Some dude from New Hampshire talked me into going back on the weekend and renting some real skiis (this was 1976, so the equipment wasn't anything like today, no brakes, just ankle straps to keep your skiis from going downhill on their own - with the side effect of beating the **** out of you when you were tumbling down the hill). Anyhow, I rent some 160's, and the first time I tried to snow plow I instantly face planted. Man, those skiis responded!

After a couple hours, I was making some pretty decent turns, so we went up higher on the mountain. One thing I learned about short skiis. Yes, you can handle them better, and turn very quickly, but when you start picking up lots of speed them little buggers get highly unstable. I crashed about 10 times coming down the mountain when my skiis would start to shimmy all over the place when I started hauling ***. Good memories.

If I hadn't have gone back and rented regular skiis/bindings/boots I never would have skiied again.

sooneron
3/24/2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah, the REALLY short skis still freak me out a bit. I'm on 174's and close to your size. I was on 195s previously and dumped them after not skiing at all for about 3-4 years. I couldn't control them anymore. Last time I went out (3 weeks ago) I caught an edge (spring slush) and had a Wide World of Sports wipe out next to where the teens were racing. They were impressed, but I wish it had been captured on video. I seriously had an inception moment where everything was airborn and in slo mo! My K2 Apaches are pretty good, but its my boots that make the difference- love em... and the heated boot bag I got for my Christmas gift! :D I'll probably step up to better skis next year- had the Apaches for 5-6 years now and needing more than an intermediate ski. I want the Kastle mx 98s, but they are a grand!! I need cheaper hobbies.

Spray
3/24/2011, 10:17 PM
God, I miss skiing. Was probably a level 6. Last trip was Snowshoe in '99-2000. Last trip out West was Breck the year before. I'd love to take my wife on her first trip ever, but the knees aren't getting any younger.

SGA
3/24/2011, 10:34 PM
Skiing Monarch Saturday and staying in Salida tomorrow night. I try and ski Monarch at least once a year to get away from the Brecks, Vails, Coppers and such.

Really looking forward to it!

StoopTroup
3/24/2011, 10:35 PM
Skiing Monarch Saturday and staying in Salida tomorrow night. I try and ski Monarch at least once a year to get away from the Brecks, Vails, Coppers and such.

Spray
3/24/2011, 10:39 PM

Nice to have you back contributing at a level I never expected of you! I think your posts of the last few weeks have been some of your most intelligent ever. Congrats and keep up the good work!

SGA
3/24/2011, 10:54 PM

not sure what this means, but it is clearly ... very intellectual.

Blue
3/24/2011, 10:57 PM
He flew too close to the sun with wings of pastrami.

sooneron
3/26/2011, 10:03 AM

Nice! I've always wanted to ski there. Good mountain- good snow and I like their business model.

sooneron
3/26/2011, 10:07 AM
It was a Chamber of Commerce day, yesterday! I'd go more often if it weren't so crowded! :D

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5185/5561394638_1f114488a4_b.jpg

sooneron
3/26/2011, 10:16 AM
I learned to ski in the Army when I was at Camp Drum, NY for cold weather training. A place called "Snow Ridge." We had to use the 240cc military skiis with the vapor barrier "Mickey Mouse" boots and rubber band bindings. I hated every second of it. Sweating like a pig and it was -5 outside.

My cuz in law was stationed there a few years back.
http://www.dvidshub.net/video/95762/maj-gen-tony-cucolo

Jammin'
3/26/2011, 10:51 AM
Used to be a level 9 and my mind still believes I can be.

Luckily my body knows I'm a 5/6 now.

After spending all last week in vail, I'd like to edit my answer:

I can still be a 8/9 as long as the legs allow. 7 is easy. After 17 years off I was pretty unsure. Turns out I'm a ****ing warlock.

C&CDean
3/26/2011, 09:03 PM
After spending all last week in vail, I'd like to edit my answer:

I can still be a 8/9 as long as the legs allow. 7 is easy. After 17 years off I was pretty unsure. Turns out I'm a ****ing warlock.

Dude, c'mon, everybody knows brothers can't ski or swim. Who the **** you trying to fool? I guess you think you're Sean Black?

Jammin'
3/27/2011, 11:08 AM
Dude, c'mon, everybody knows brothers can't ski or swim. Who the **** you trying to fool? I guess you think you're Sean Black?

I'm the Meredith Hunter of skiing and surfing. I assume you're "working security".

SGA
3/28/2011, 05:28 PM
Nice! I've always wanted to ski there. Good mountain- good snow and I like their business model.

What an awesome day I had on Saturday! I woke up at 8, checked the snow report and jumped out of bed like it was Christmas and I was 9 again.

Something like 6 inches of new snow. The GF loves that I get so excited for a powder day.

The first thing I did was hike to Mirkwood bowl and I was the second up and third down. You talk about a happy man!

Great day. Never once waited in line and had fresh tracks all day long. You don't get that kind of love at Vail or Breck.

C&CDean
3/28/2011, 05:30 PM
What an awesome day I had on Saturday! I woke up at 8, checked the snow report and jumped out of bed like it was Christmas and I was 9 again.

Something like 6 inches of new snow. The GF loves that I get so excited for a powder day.

The first thing I did was hike to Mirkwood bowl and I was the second up and third down. You talk about a happy man!

Great day. Never once waited in line and had fresh tracks all day long. You don't get that kind of love at Vail or Breck.

Like...righteous...dude.

SGA
3/29/2011, 11:24 AM
Like...righteous...dude.

Thanks, Tony Bromo!

OUmillenium
3/29/2011, 11:34 AM

My favorite places to ski...
1. Breckenridge - can stay in condo on the slopes, ski down to shuttle, ski right up to your back door when finished
2. Keystone - when I went in the 90s, it was no snowboarders allowed
3. Copper Mountain - loved the covered lifts back in the 80s, thought that was big time
4. Taos - loved the chili dogs in the lodge
5. Red River - the Funhouse was the ultimate arcade, scared me as a kid to ski some of the blacks there
6. Angel Fire - lodge has some awesome cheese enchiladas with red sauce, this is where I learned to ski
7. WolfCreek - small but always has snow and prices are relatively cheap
8. Rio Costilla - is that still open?
9. Woodland - for little kids, is that still open?

Maybe we should get a soonerfans.com ski trip together? My wife and I and another couple or 2 are going next Christmas and maybe next spring break (doubt I can make the spring break trip though).

sooneron
3/16/2013, 02:25 PM
Been a sorta down year. I managed to ski last Sat in NY after 14" of fresh!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8563193078_e861199e9e_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8388/8562086087_5d6e0b747c_z.jpg

It's snowing here in NJ and I may have to re-think putting the skis up. Took my little girl for a couple hours yesterday. I think the bug has bitten her! :D
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8563192944_205330418d_z.jpg

I leave you with, arguably, the best skier out there today!

NYvM6j56IBk

FirstandGoal
3/16/2013, 02:48 PM
Cute daugher!

Mine is going to be leaving today for her first ever ski trip and she's 15. I'm a bit nervous about it but very excited for her!

sooneron
3/16/2013, 04:45 PM
I'd be more nervous if there are boys involved in said trip! :panda:

okiewaker
3/16/2013, 05:05 PM
I'd put myself at 4.5, and if you could convert those numbers to snowboarding somehow, I'd be a 2. I fell no less than 30 times my first day snowboarding. Now,,,wakeboarding,,,ima 8 or 9, relatively speaking.

colleyvillesooner
3/17/2013, 10:57 PM

sooneron
3/18/2013, 07:13 PM
Put my skis into storage and now it's raging. Home mountain is supposed to get a foot! Typical.

Skis coming out of storage...

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2013, 07:31 PM
It is impossible to ski when your durnk...

8timechamps
3/18/2013, 08:29 PM
I'm a solid 7.5, I used to be a 9, but then I got older.

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 09:55 PM
This is my last run
http://theiddm.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/agony_of_defeat.jpg

Lott's Bandana
3/19/2013, 08:12 AM
When I lived in NorCal and would get season passes for Homewood at Tahoe for $99.00, I'd be a comfortable 6-7, relaxed skiing with amazing views of the lake.

Been many years, I've probably reduced myself only to a summer mountain-bike downhiller at Vail. (absolute grand fun, I highly recommend!)

My GF lives in Castle Pines and I still have all my own equipment, so we'll see...never say never.

sooneron
3/19/2013, 10:59 AM
When I lived in NorCal and would get season passes for Homewood at Tahoe for $99.00, I'd be a comfortable 6-7, relaxed skiing with amazing views of the lake.

Been many years, I've probably reduced myself only to a summer mountain-bike downhiller at Vail. (absolute grand fun, I highly recommend!)

My GF lives in Castle Pines and I still have all my own equipment, so we'll see...never say never.

How old is your gear? YOu may want to re-think hanging on to it. The new stuff makes it much easier. And you are lucky to have such access. I used to MB, but one spill too many with road rash etc, I stay on the path these days...

Lott's Bandana
3/19/2013, 11:31 AM
How old is your gear? YOu may want to re-think hanging on to it. The new stuff makes it much easier. And you are lucky to have such access. I used to MB, but one spill too many with road rash etc, I stay on the path these days...

Ski's and boots circa 2003.

The beauty of riding Vail after the ski season is they turn it into an MB park, with Green, Blue and Black trails to ride down. Buy a lift ticket and off you go! The Green trail takes quite some time to ride, after being lifted up with the gondola, and isn't technical at all, yet it is still great fun and rather beautiful as you might expect. I didn't try any blues and certainly no blacks, as it was raining pretty good and the mud was flying enough on the easier trail. I also rode a bike that didn't have any suspension and my teeth chattered and eyeballs bounced the entire way down!

Rode into town after during Oktoberfest, completely covered in mud. Didn't have to buy a beer the rest of the day...folks thought we were awesome in our sloppy gear! Good times. I'll be back in June.

sooneron
3/19/2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah, green would work for me. Every time I think of MB'ing, I think of this sorta scenario...

Xr5FGOKY3RM

Lott's Bandana
3/19/2013, 01:25 PM
That video makes me think, I don't have enough years left to spend them all convalescing!

8timechamps
3/19/2013, 07:59 PM
Ski's and boots circa 2003.

The beauty of riding Vail after the ski season is they turn it into an MB park, with Green, Blue and Black trails to ride down. Buy a lift ticket and off you go! The Green trail takes quite some time to ride, after being lifted up with the gondola, and isn't technical at all, yet it is still great fun and rather beautiful as you might expect. I didn't try any blues and certainly no blacks, as it was raining pretty good and the mud was flying enough on the easier trail. I also rode a bike that didn't have any suspension and my teeth chattered and eyeballs bounced the entire way down!

Rode into town after during Oktoberfest, completely covered in mud. Didn't have to buy a beer the rest of the day...folks thought we were awesome in our sloppy gear! Good times. I'll be back in June.

Vail is awesome in the summer, but we usually end up at Breck. I didn't know you lived here, where 'bouts?

8timechamps
3/19/2013, 08:00 PM
Hey sonneron, do you wear a helmet?

Lott's Bandana
3/20/2013, 08:55 AM
Vail is awesome in the summer, but we usually end up at Breck. I didn't know you lived here, where 'bouts?

I don't, I live in Norman. My GF lives in Castle Pines and has agreed to do some MB downhilling with me this summer. I'd love to try Breck as well.

sooneron
3/20/2013, 09:14 AM
Hey sonneron, do you wear a helmet?

Yes, I started to wear one when I was getting my daughter into it. I figured, set the example. Now, I don't really mind wearing it. Keeps your head warm/dry and you can always open the vents.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/423061_10150574792308542_1623923316_n.jpg
on the left .

8timechamps
3/20/2013, 12:33 PM
Yes, I started to wear one when I was getting my daughter into it. I figured, set the example. Now, I don't really mind wearing it. Keeps your head warm/dry and you can always open the vents.

Good. I was going to give you my "if not for you, for the kids" speech, but you're way ahead.

I hated it when I started (and I did the same thing, started wearing it to set an example), but now it's just part of me when I ski.

8timechamps
3/20/2013, 12:34 PM
I don't, I live in Norman. My GF lives in Castle Pines and has agreed to do some MB downhilling with me this summer. I'd love to try Breck as well.

Gotcha. I think I like Breck because it's not quite as popular (as Vail) in the summer.

Good choice of GF!

Lott's Bandana
3/20/2013, 02:18 PM
Gotcha. I think I like Breck because it's not quite as popular (as Vail) in the summer.

Good choice of GF!

Now I'm sure gonna try Breckenridge!

She chose me...still not sure why. HS Classmates, she reeled me in on Facebook. Life is good.

sooneron
3/20/2013, 09:33 PM
Good. I was going to give you my "if not for you, for the kids" speech, but you're way ahead.

I hated it when I started (and I did the same thing, started wearing it to set an example), but now it's just part of me when I ski.

My BIL is a psychologist that deals with head trauma patients @ NYU Med Ctr- I hear stories.
Throughout a HUGE part of my life, I risked my dome. I sorta figured it was time to stop tempting fate. Rode dirt bikes, bmx, three wheelers and had close calls, but no head injuries. Time to put a cap on...

sooneron
3/21/2013, 09:11 AM
And yes, I did go down that double black D.

sooneron
4/5/2013, 09:34 AM
For those of you wanting to capture your shots of you or the kids skiing, I tested out the Miveu harness on my last ski day. It's a pretty cool mount that works with your iphone, you just put the straps over your shoulders, snap your iphone into the case , click and go. This vid is a little boring in that it's all POV, but you could mount it on your back and shoot people behind you, as well (I was skiing alone). The wide angle adapter was of better qual than I was expecting. It's sorta for the people that don't want to carry a camera to the mountain or don't want to pony up for GoPro/Drift/Contour...

The conditions look gloomy, but the snow was great.

https://vimeo.com/63256118

Lott's Bandana
4/5/2013, 11:50 AM
Where the hell was everybody?!

sooneron
4/5/2013, 01:28 PM
Where the hell was everybody?!

It was last Thursday! Most people up here are ready to move on to Spring/Summer activities. My guess is that they will be open through next weekend. 90% of the runs still open!

Plus, it's not a very busy mountain, the busiest and slightly bigger is 15 minutes away. I've never waited more than 5-7 minutes for a lift ride. The part of the mountain that I was on doesn't get as much traffic either. It's basically black runs from the top that smooth out into blues. Only one Blue from top to bottom, but is has nice trees (in the vid). It's really a green, imo.

http://www.belleayre.com/winter/conditions.htm

Lott's Bandana
4/5/2013, 01:50 PM
The one shot on their website looks like any 'ole ridge in the Cookson Hills!

sooneron
4/5/2013, 02:32 PM
It's an old school hill. Now owned by NYS. For the east, the vert is pretty good and now you can buy a pass that covers you for Belleayre, Gore Mt and Whiteface. Which I have been wanting to hit up.

I like the place because they don't groom about a 1/3 of the hill. Which is rare these days. It's also cheap.

Lott's Bandana
4/6/2013, 12:32 PM
It's an old school hill. Now owned by NYS. For the east, the vert is pretty good and now you can buy a pass that covers you for Belleayre, Gore Mt and Whiteface. Which I have been wanting to hit up.

I like the place because they don't groom about a 1/3 of the hill. Which is rare these days. It's also cheap.

I remember back in the day, Ashland Oregon actually had their own ski resort, run by the town and paid for with property taxes. Each citizen of the town got a season pass. 4 lifts, it was literally in their backyard. (I just Googled...still a non-profit ski area)
I ski'ed Homewood often when I lived in NorCal. I like the little places quite a bit. I don't ski enough to yearn for the Taos-like steeps because I'm bored.

You sound like you got a good thing there, Ron.

CobraKai
4/6/2013, 01:52 PM
We skied Vail for the first time this year. Really liked it. We've done Aspen/Snowmass/Buttermilk for the last 10 years or so.