PDA

View Full Version : More Cam Newton Alegations?

NathanStinson
3/1/2011, 11:44 AM
http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Phillips-blog-Here-we-go-again-16770

Really, I wanted to ignore all this. I am so sick and tired of stories about all Cam Newton’s supposed evil words and evil deeds I could scream. The fascination with him is amazing or sick or something.
Phillip Marshall, Senior Editor, AuburnUndercover.com

But it’s out there, so here we go again.

Radio talk show host, rabid Alabama fan and message board hero Scott Moore says he has heard tapes of Cecil Newton soliciting money from Mississippi State in exchange for Cam signing with the Bulldogs. That’s no big deal, really. Cecil Newton has admitted as much to the NCAA.

But that’s not all he says.

Moore and former Alabama football player William Barger, better known by his message board moniker “Redfish,” somehow were chosen to be hosts for a radio show in Huntsville. I don’t know either one of them. I have met Moore a couple of times and wouldn’t know Barger if he walked through the door. I haven’t heard the show and won’t, but it’s my understanding they spend most of their time talking about the doom they say Auburn football faces.

Moore also claims that the NCAA recommended Auburn not play Cam Newton and Auburn played him anyway. That is just flat out untrue. Period. That he presents that as fact calls everything he claims into question.

The big deal lately is that Moore and Barger claim former Mississippi State quarterback John Bond has shared with them tapes that include not only Cecil Newton but Cam Newton talking about getting money. He also says that Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen warned Newton that, if he signed with Auburn, he would be turned in to the NCAA.

Does the tape implicating Cam Newton really exist? I certainly can’t say it doesn’t. What if it does? What would that mean to Auburn?

It would mean nothing in terms of institutional culpability unless Auburn officials knew or should have known and did nothing. If the NCAA determined Auburn officials did know or should have known, Auburn’s BCS national championship could be in danger.

Considering that Auburn worked by the side by side with the NCAA through the entire process, it’s not likely the NCAA would rule officials knew or should have known. And if the NCAA says they didn’t know, it is unlikely that Auburn’s national championship would be in danger.

Has the NCAA heard these alleged tapes? Moore says it has not. The next question is obvious. Why not? Why were the tapes not produced months ago? Why do they say they are waiting two weeks to make them public?

I at least understand where Moore and Barger are coming from. They are Alabama fans with a platform to espouse their theories, and their agenda is to do all the damage they can to their biggest rival. Bond’s agenda is a mystery. If everything is on these tapes that Moore, Barger and Bond claim, that won’t be good for Mississippi State.

I’m no expert on NCAA rules, but I know it’s illegal for a coach or anyone else associated with an institution to discuss pay for play with a player. I know it is illegal for boosters to have contact with players or their families in the manner both Bond and Bill Bell, another Mississippi State booster, say they did.

If what Moore says about Mullen is true, that Mullen warned Newton if he signed with Auburn he would turn him in, that’s a definite NCAA violation. A coach who knows of wrongdoing is required to report it promptly. If Mississippi State had signed Newton and planned to abide by the rules, it would have been compelled to rule him ineligible immediately.

And then there are the breathless stories about the FBI, money-laundering and the rest. Moore and Barger are convinced that the NCAA conspired with Auburn and the SEC office to make sure Auburn played for the BCS championship.

Whatever.

Leroy Lizard
3/1/2011, 12:00 PM
I don't see how this impacts Auburn. As for Mississippi State, that's another matter. Threatening to turn a player in to the NCAA is borderline extortion.

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 12:04 PM
Dude's guilty and everyone knows it. Nobody has had the proof yet, hopefully this will at least tarnish his college career even more. Sounds like Auburn still gets off the hook so who really cares at this point.

BoulderSooner79
3/1/2011, 12:11 PM
I don't see this tarnishing Newton's image in any way he would care about. The allegations, if true, imply that he is all about the money. The NFL is all about the money and that's where he is headed - NFL GMs couldn't care less about this stuff.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/1/2011, 12:15 PM
I am always weary when a team all of a sudden gets good. Which is why I can smell the stench of what Stoolwater aggie is cooking up.

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 12:16 PM
I don't see this tarnishing Newton's image in any way he would care about. The allegations, if true, imply that he is all about the money. The NFL is all about the money and that's where he is headed - NFL GMs couldn't care less about this stuff.

Well I think that's all that can come out of this at this time. Unless miss state gets in trouble, but I don't care to see them crash and burn.

jumperstop
3/1/2011, 12:18 PM
I am always weary when a team all of a sudden gets good. Which is why I can smell the stench of what Stoolwater aggie is cooking up.

They did it the legal way by getting ole boone to give them badass facilities.

Leroy Lizard
3/1/2011, 12:18 PM

If the NFL has no problem with Michael Vick...

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/1/2011, 12:21 PM
They did it the legal way by getting ole boone to give them badass facilities.

and a little spending money

rekamrettuB
3/1/2011, 12:23 PM
I don't see how this impacts Auburn. As for Mississippi State, that's another matter. Threatening to turn a player in to the NCAA is borderline extortion.

They could have their NC stripped. We've seen that happen before. The entire time the Newton's and Auburn were hiding behind the fact Cam knew nothing of what was going on between Daddy and Miss St. If the NCAA finds him ineligible it could go the way of USC.

BoulderSooner79
3/1/2011, 12:25 PM
If the NFL has no problem with Michael Vick...

They did care about Vick, once convicted. But all Newton is accused of is sitting across the table from a team representative to negotiate how much money he will be paid for playing. NFL GM's know they will be doing that with each player they draft - up front and in the open. I suppose he could slip a bit in the draft if a few GMs feel he will be too hard to sign.

NathanStinson
3/1/2011, 12:29 PM
Changed title to clarify topic a little more:)

OUmillenium
3/1/2011, 12:35 PM
This is great for the 2010 season. Imagine if the Ducks would have won. Now we don't have to worry about that and the Auburn season is tarnished. A great ending if you ask me.

soonerinabilene
3/1/2011, 12:40 PM
They could have their NC stripped. We've seen that happen before. The entire time the Newton's and Auburn were hiding behind the fact Cam knew nothing of what was going on between Daddy and Miss St. If the NCAA finds him ineligible it could go the way of USC.

The ncaa can't touch a national championship in football because they dont award it. They can strip victories from the record book, but it its up to the school to take away the title (and their heisman replica they get to display)

NormanPride
3/1/2011, 12:41 PM
From all that I've heard, losing a MNC is the least of Auburn's worries.

Leroy Lizard
3/1/2011, 12:50 PM
The ncaa can't touch a national championship in football because they dont award it. They can strip victories from the record book, but it its up to the school to take away the title (and their heisman replica they get to display)

Wasn't USC forced by the NCAA to remove mention of its BCS title in its literature? Not sure.

rekamrettuB
3/1/2011, 12:52 PM

Didn't say the NCAA could. The BCS stripped USC of its title of 2004. All I said was the same thing could happen here.

Upon some research, here's where we stand with USC, BCS, and 2004:

"In accordance with the findings released today by the NCAA, the University of Southern California's 2005 Orange Bowl game victory has been vacated," said Bowl Championship Series (BCS) Executive Director Bill Hancock. "We take the integrity of NCAA rules seriously. As a procedural matter, the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee (POC) must meet to formally consider vacating USC's championship title and the game records. If the POC takes such action, there would be no BCS champion for the 2004-05 season. The POC will meet shortly to discuss this matter.

"In light of USC's statement that it intends to appeal, we want to make it clear that no action will go into effect until the appeal is heard and decided by the NCAA."

I'm reading this to say if appeal doesn't change their rulings, it will vacate the championship.

BoulderSooner79
3/1/2011, 12:59 PM

Even if Auburn gets USC-like (or worse) treatment from the NCAA, I doubt Cam Newton would even glance in the rear view mirror. He came to Auburn as a 1-year ringer after feeling out which school would most "appreciate" his talents. I can't imagine a player with less emotional connections to his school. It would be interesting to see his transcript and how many hours he really spent in class and on campus for purposes other than for football.

KantoSooner
3/1/2011, 01:02 PM

While I understand your point, 'Sudden' is not a word I would use to describe OSU's ascent out of the sub-basement. They've been 'on the rise' for most of my adult life. and I am older than I like to think about.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/1/2011, 01:13 PM
What?

usaosooner
3/1/2011, 01:18 PM
Just got to wait five years to find out!

Leroy Lizard
3/1/2011, 01:19 PM
Even if Auburn gets USC-like (or worse) treatment from the NCAA, I doubt Cam Newton would even glance in the rear view mirror. He came to Auburn as a 1-year ringer after feeling out which school would most "appreciate" his talents. I can't imagine a player with less emotional connections to his school.

Post this statement on wearesc.com. :D

BoulderSooner79
3/1/2011, 02:38 PM
At least Reggie Bush pretends to be remorseful of his actions and regrets the impact it had on 'SC.

sooner518
3/1/2011, 03:28 PM
double post. disregard

sooner518
3/1/2011, 03:29 PM

Been hearing that for 3 months now. I'm starting to feel like auburn is gonna get away scot-free in thus case.

Leroy Lizard
3/1/2011, 06:21 PM
Been hearing that for 3 months now. I'm starting to feel like auburn is gonna get away scot-free in thus case.

We said that about SC. Give it time. They're a private institution, so it could be a couple of years.

PLaw
3/2/2011, 01:09 PM
Newton should have been disqualified immediately after NCAA reviewed MSU tapes, period.

National Communists Against Athletes make me puke all over myself.

BOOMER