PDA

View Full Version : Why in the He11 are we

okie52
2/28/2011, 05:16 PM
sticking our nose in this mess.

West moves to help Libya uprising, Gadhafi digs in
By MAGGIE MICHAEL
ASSOCIATED PRESS

TRIPOLI, Libya -- The U.S. military deployed naval and air units near Libya, and the West moved to send its first concrete aid to Libya's rebellion in the east of the country, hoping to give it the momentum to oust Moammar Gadhafi. But the Libyan leader's regime clamped down in its stronghold in the capital and appeared to be maneuvering to strike opposition-held cities.

In Washington, Defense Department spokesman Col. Dave Lapan said the naval and air forces were deployed to have flexibility as Pentagon planners worked on contingency plans, but did not elaborate. The U.S. has a regular military presence in the Mediterranean Sea.

The European Union slapped an arms embargo, visa ban and other sanctions on Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's regime, as British Prime Minister David Cameron told British lawmakers Monday he is working with allies on a plan to establish a military no-fly zone over Libya, since "we do not in any way rule out the use of military assets" to deal with Gadhafi's embattled regime.

In the most direct U.S. demand for Gadhafi to step down, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the Libyan leader must leave power "now, without further violence or delay."

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1105ap_af_libya.html?source=mypi

Breadburner
2/28/2011, 05:18 PM
Its what we do.......

okie52
2/28/2011, 05:20 PM
Relentlessly.

sooner ngintunr
2/28/2011, 05:21 PM
Two years ago Obama was shaking Gadhafi's hand. Now I guess Gadhafi's the enemy (again).

Aldebaran
2/28/2011, 05:21 PM
Because we spend more than the rest of the world combined on a military and we're dammed sure gonna represent, yo.

okie52
2/28/2011, 05:23 PM
We aren't going to get their o i l.

Aldebaran
2/28/2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but if the o i l is disrupted, and demand outstrips production, the whole tamale goes tits up again.

okie52
2/28/2011, 05:27 PM
And illustrative of our woeful energy policy...that may be an oxymoron.

MamaMia
2/28/2011, 05:29 PM
They're saying oil and gas

okie52
2/28/2011, 05:35 PM
And just what would we do? Invade? Bomb?

Arabs will just see it as US meddling again, we won't get any oil, and we could just as easily deal with the next leader/ dictator, etc... unless Obama believes we had a special relationship with gadhafi.

KantoSooner
2/28/2011, 07:07 PM
Oh, it'll ultimately be seen as meddling. But right now, we're hearing all the whining azzholes who want AMERICA to DO SOMETHING. Then they can turn around and criticize whatever it is we do.
It's been this way since approximately 1945. It's messy and all. But we've done pretty well in terms of making it work for us. I mean, we have a car industry that produced the Pinto, can't make a camera for jack, pay CEO's literally billions for bancrupting their companies, have workers who want more pay and bennies in exchange for less and less work and are happy to pay 5-10 times more for our health care than anyone else in the world, with worse results.
And we still have the highest standard of living in the world.
If that's not working the system, I don't know what is.

soonercruiser
2/28/2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah, but if the o i l is disrupted, and demand outstrips production, the whole tamale goes tits up again.

It's all about the price of oil. Obama doesn't really care about the country. But, he does care about his re-election!
:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
2/28/2011, 11:09 PM
I heard some folks on Fox complaining that Obama hadn't acted soon enough. Everybody has an opinion.

Mine is....why is Momo still alive? It's not like we didn't know he was a problem. I believe he did a commercial about how Libya's agriculture was doing great. After closer inspection he was standing in a poppy field.

OUMallen
3/1/2011, 09:43 AM
Because he's using his military against his own civilian population.

delhalew
3/1/2011, 10:00 AM
Cause I'm a Libyian, on a jet plane...
Don't know if I'll back again...
Momar...I don't want to go...

Thank you Dr. Demento.

Aldebaran
3/1/2011, 10:14 AM

Which is exactly why we went balls deep in Darfur and Sudan. Oh wait.... We didn't.

OUMallen
3/1/2011, 10:43 AM
Which is exactly why we went balls deep in Darfur and Sudan. Oh wait.... We didn't.

Well, that's pretty unrelated, but a good point. Stability in Darfur isn't as high of a priority as stability in the Middle East/Arab World is to us. Which is pretty sad. And we haven't exactly done anything in Libya, really. (yet)

Condescending Sooner
3/1/2011, 02:37 PM

Did you say that when we invaded Iraq?

sappstuf
3/1/2011, 03:32 PM
I don't really have a problem with the US Navy going over there and blowing all of their aircraft from the sky or bomb them on the ground and then let the Libyan people fight for their country.

After all, our motto is:

A Global Force for Good!

No really.. It is.

sappstuf
3/1/2011, 03:33 PM
Repeat post.

okie52
3/1/2011, 03:48 PM
I don't really have a problem with the US Navy going over there and blowing all of their aircraft from the sky or bomb them on the ground and then let the Libyan people fight for their country.

After all, our motto is:

A Global Force for Good!

No really.. It is.

The problem is Sapp that even when we are doing the right thing we are looked at as meddlers and/or merely advancing our own interests.

I am to the point that more often than not our own best self interests are better advanced by staying out of other nations conflicts.

Flagstaffsooner
3/1/2011, 03:48 PM
To quote the old SAC motto,

"Peace is Our Profession,
War is just a Hobby."

OUMallen
3/1/2011, 03:55 PM
Did you say that when we invaded Iraq?

Did I say what when? :confused: