PDA

View Full Version : Allergy season is nigh: How do you sneeze?

3rdgensooner
2/28/2011, 05:03 PM
Researcher defines four categories of sneezers (http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/achoooooooooooo/1154281)

A study on sneezing and personality types defines four categories of sneezers. Find out which one fits you.

Patti Wood, a body language expert based in Atlanta, noticed early in her career that people with certain personalities seemed to sneeze in particular ways.

The driven and ambitious types had a certain sneeze style. So did the nosy busybodies.

When officials with the company that makes the allergy drug Benadryl asked her several years ago to study sneezing and personality types, she jumped at the chance.

She studied about 500 people, asking them about their personality traits and their sneeze styles. There are four general types of sneezes that match up with a four-part personality profile widely used to study human behavior, she found.

See if her categories apply to you and the sneezers in your life.

The get appreciated sneezer
Their sneezes are most likely to be loud, funny, long-lasting or come in multiples. "They make a bigger deal out of it, like a comic," Wood says. "They're looking for applause at the end of their sneeze."

Often charismatic, influential leaders, these sneezers are well liked, playful and boisterous - the life of the party. They are imaginative, open to new people and new ideas. They are optimistic and spontaneous.

They are not so good at details, and others often clean up their little messes. They don't do so well if they're not noticed. Wood says some would launch a big sneeze - even a fake one - if they were feeling neglected.

The get along sneezer
These discreet sneezers turn away and hope no one hears them. Polite, friendly and warm, they work to avoid conflict. They don't like to bother people or break social etiquette. They fear what others may think of them. They are loyal, calm and dependable. They are nurturers, supporters and good listeners.

"They don't want to be in the forefront, they want to be behind the scenes helping out," Wood says. They also can be perceived as timid and meek.

The get it done sneezer
These people may try to hold it in, but if they can't, the sneeze will be loud, forceful and fast. They want to get it out and over so they can move on to other things. They're likely to become frustrated if they sneeze more than once and will get agitated if they think allergies or a cold may slow them down.

They are decisive, efficient and wish others would be, too. They are leaders who don't rely on others. They are forceful and demanding. They enjoy physical exertion and like to multitask. "They live to get things done," Wood says. "That's the way their sneeze style is, they get it done and move on."

They also can be abrupt, the type most likely to get upset if service at a restaurant isn't exactly to their liking.

The be right sneezer
The most likely to cover their mouths when they sneeze, they expect the same from others and will tell them so.

These people are reserved and correct. They are tidy. They like rules, not rule breakers. They are methodical. They are accurate, precise and prefer solitude. They are angered by injustice.

They can be judgmental and rigid. They are the most likely to tell you of a spelling error on Page 3 in an otherwise flawless 25-page report.

NormanPride
2/28/2011, 05:19 PM
In other news, the type of shoe you wear can weigh heavily on a scale.

I don't sneeze like any of those things, though...

3rdgensooner
2/28/2011, 05:28 PM
I sneeze like the delicate flower that I am.

Mongo
2/28/2011, 05:29 PM
Get along sneezer.

I all stealthy and ****

jumperstop
2/28/2011, 05:30 PM
The get it done sneezer
They also can be abrupt, the type most likely to get upset if service at a restaurant isn't exactly to their liking.

At least I feel like a part of the one I would say I was fits me perfectly.

Mississippi Sooner
2/28/2011, 05:32 PM
Two types of people bother me. One is the type whose sneeze is one you really don't hear. You hear them breathe in, they go through the motion, but then nothing really happens. It's like they go "ahh-hmmph." I worry that these people are doing irreversible damage to their brains.

The other are people who act offended if you don't say "bless you" every time they sneeze. Hey, I'm not a priest. I think we've moved way beyond the idea that a sneeze is just one step removed from instant death.

C&CDean
2/28/2011, 05:35 PM
The Git r done sneezer. I've only had a multiple sneeze of more than 2 about 4-5 times in my life. Never more than 3 in a row. The personality thing is kinda close too.

C&CDean
2/28/2011, 05:37 PM
Oh and I don't have allergies. I'm pretty blessed in that regard. I also typically get a cold maybe once every 3-4 years. I think it's because I haven't taken an antiobiotic in over 25 years. My immune system works cause I haven't ****ed it all up with the drugs.

Aldebaran
2/28/2011, 05:38 PM
My sneezes make a metal beam in my office area resonate audibly.

And then the hum makes me laugh.

Mongo
2/28/2011, 05:42 PM
Two types of people bother me. One is the type whose sneeze is one you really don't hear. You hear them breathe in, they go through the motion, but then nothing really happens. It's like they go "ahh-hmmph." I worry that these people are doing irreversible damage to their brains.

The other are people who act offended if you don't say "bless you" every time they sneeze. Hey, I'm not a priest. I think we've moved way beyond the idea that a sneeze is just one step removed from instant death.

No brain damage here. Just skidmarks at the end of the day. The pressure has to go somewhere

NormanPride
2/28/2011, 06:02 PM
Do you invest in heavy duty undergarments?

Breadburner
2/28/2011, 06:22 PM
I let'r Rip.....

Mongo
2/28/2011, 06:22 PM
Commando. Needless to say my dry cleaning bill is pretty hefty

C&CDean
2/28/2011, 06:24 PM
Dude, that ain't dry cleaning.

NormanPride
2/28/2011, 06:25 PM
It is if the deed is dusty.

Mongo
2/28/2011, 06:26 PM
It is if the deed is dusty.

Let the clothes chill in the hamper for a week

C&CDean
2/28/2011, 06:29 PM
Oh. So you're doing compost for the garden. How bohemian.

soonerchk
2/28/2011, 06:30 PM
The be right sneezer
The most likely to cover their mouths when they sneeze, they expect the same from others and will tell them so.

If I'm considerate enough not to give you my ick, I certainly don't want yours!

Scott D
2/28/2011, 07:13 PM
I prefer to sneeze on other people in the hopes that they will get sick and die.

jkjsooner
2/28/2011, 07:14 PM
Anyone have the condition where bright light can make you sneeze? I do and it's convenient when a sneeze is close but not quite there, just look at the sun and it will happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACHOO_syndrome

soonercruiser
2/28/2011, 10:50 PM
In other news, the type of shoe you wear can weigh heavily on your sole.
I don't sneeze like any of those things, though...

Pride!
I fixed it for ya'!
:D

OUmillenium
3/1/2011, 10:25 AM
loud violent sneezes, sometimes 5 in a row if no zyrtec or benadryl in system