PDA

View Full Version : Tommie Harris released

badger
2/28/2011, 01:44 PM
You were too good to be a bear anyway!

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20110228_92_0_LAKEFO162075)

BoulderSooner79
2/28/2011, 02:00 PM
Injuries + salary cap. If he can get healthy, he has enough years left to earn a few more healthy paychecks. He might be a player that would benefit from a lockout season so he can heal up.

tfoolry
2/28/2011, 02:12 PM
Common Jerruh, Tommie would be a perfect fit for the 'Boys!

Breadburner
2/28/2011, 02:23 PM

Screw that.....Anywhere but Dallass....

SoonerMom2
2/28/2011, 02:29 PM
How about the Rams? Harris and the Chicago coach have not gotten along for some time.

SoonerDan74012
2/28/2011, 02:32 PM
They need help on d-line but both run 3-4's. Tommie is a 4-3 guy.

badger
2/28/2011, 02:39 PM
In memory of Tommie before he turned bearlike: The SI cover photo shoot photos:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/2002/oklahoma/1/harris01_lg.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/2002/oklahoma/2/harris02_lg.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/2002/oklahoma/3/harris03_lg.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/2002/oklahoma/4/harris04_lg.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/2002/oklahoma/5/harris05_lg.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/2002/oklahoma/6/harris06_lg.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/galleries/2002/oklahoma/7/harris10_lg3.jpg

And quotes:

"It's so fun to play in our defense... Every man has his own gap, and on every down it's first-come, first-served. It's like we're all after a piece of meat out there."

"Total strangers have been poking at my arms in the mall or at restaurants lately," says Harris, who has lowered his body fat from 17.5% to 14.9% and added eight pounds of muscle. "But kids have been calling me a monster since the 10th grade. I guess it's a good thing, looking scary."

"We recruit athletes, not position players...The first thing we look for is speed, and I'm not talking about high school 40 times, which are bulls---. We're looking for catch-up speed and the ability to change direction on a dime. You can usually judge by a tape whether a kid can keep up with our defense."

He had the quickest feet for a big kid we'd ever seen."

Saul Good
2/28/2011, 03:38 PM
^^^^^that is one heck of a DEFENSE!!!^^^^^

stoopified
2/28/2011, 03:40 PM

How aboutthe Rams?

Aries
2/28/2011, 03:42 PM
They need help on d-line but both run 3-4's. Tommie is a 4-3 guy.

I'm not sure who you mean by both, but the Rams run a 4-3.

boomermagic
2/28/2011, 03:49 PM
RAMS can use Tommie..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2011, 04:09 PM
Depends on what Tommie Harris shows up..He isn't the same guy he was in college..admittedly so, The business of the NFL has made him weary of the game..He became bitter and a bad teammate..

He won't be an every down type of guy again, but hopefully will get in somewhere that he is happy

Curly Bill
2/28/2011, 04:12 PM
I couldn't believe it this morning when they were talking about his 7 NFL seasons. Has it really been that long? Wow...time flies!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah...A 7 year DT Career is pretty long....

Partial Qualifier
2/28/2011, 04:16 PM
Depends on what Tommie Harris shows up..He isn't the same guy he was in college..admittedly so, The business of the NFL has made him weary of the game..He became bitter and a bad teammate..

He won't be an every down type of guy again, but hopefully will get in somewhere that he is happy

Is it just me or does the Chicago organization have a way of bringing that attitude out of it's players on a fairly consistent basis?

SoonerDan74012
2/28/2011, 04:23 PM
I do know that Tommie was very upset when they let his good friend Mark (Bradley) go. He thought he didn't get a fair shot at receiver and then you add in the knee problems it all adds up to frustration. Tommie is not a bad guy, the work he does with Roy, Mark (Clayton),AD,and Quinton Carter in Pros For Africa and Pros For Vets is a very cool thing.

ouleaf
2/28/2011, 04:33 PM
Think he is only 27/28 yrs old right? If he can stay health I think a new team could re-energize him. He'll definitely catch on somewhere, but it won't be for a lot of money. As a Cowboys fan I would love to see him in Dallas. He might be able to make the change to a 3-4 DE....Spears and Olshansky are probably gone next year anyhow.

OULenexaman
2/28/2011, 04:49 PM
Is it just me or does the Chicago organization have a way of bringing that attitude out of it's players on a fairly consistent basis? Nope.....da Bears are good at that...

PLaw
2/28/2011, 05:00 PM
Great career - made us all proud.

Now, TH, go recruite like mad for the SOONERS. We need more DT's like you.

BIG BOOMER to TH
he brought krunk to NORMAN

BOOMER

SoonerShay
2/28/2011, 05:20 PM
I bet Atlanta takes a long hard look at him, probably Indy and Tampa Bay will too. Dude was actually athletic enough to play D-end at over 300 pounds before, I wonder how much he still has left in his legs.

soonersam
2/28/2011, 05:50 PM
I hope he bounces back healthy and lands on a good team... Maybe St louis? that would give me another reason to care about the NFL

badger
2/28/2011, 05:55 PM
The business of the NFL has made him weary of the game..He became bitter and a bad teammate..

He seemed to especially be upset as his former Sooner teammates were getting traded, cut, etc. by da bears. Perhaps going to a team with a larger Sooner contingent (or Sooner fanbase) would resurrect his once promising career.

When Mark teamed up with Sammie, he just seemed to have a Renaissance of sorts. Perhaps if Tommie joins them (because from every report out there, Mark and Sam are gonna be Rams a looooong time) he can recapture what made him such an awesome player.

:P and plus, if he's in st. louis, he'll probably not play my packers too often.

NormanPride
2/28/2011, 06:04 PM
If I was coached by Lovie and had to be on the Bears I'd be pissy, too.

Tommie needs to be the kindergarten teacher he always wanted to be. The NFL was a bad fit for him, I think.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah...I had Tommie speak for me at a church once...then saw him a few years later..he's working at getting back to his old self though..

There was a scene at his locker this season after a bears win that everyone is celebrating and he is at his locker telling his agent "you gotta get me outta here!" as loud as he could along with more choice words...if you have ever been around him...thats not the way he rolls...

JLEW1818
2/28/2011, 09:21 PM
texans could use him

bluedogok
2/28/2011, 09:25 PM

I have thought for years that a change of scenery would benefit him greatly.

Mongo
2/28/2011, 10:20 PM
TH can punch a chest like a man

sooneron
2/28/2011, 10:33 PM
Does he still crap helmets? That is the important question...

Mongo
2/28/2011, 10:39 PM
Who doesnt? That prank is a classic

stoopified
2/28/2011, 11:30 PM
He seemed to especially be upset as his former Sooner teammates were getting traded, cut, etc. by da bears. Perhaps going to a team with a larger Sooner contingent (or Sooner fanbase) would resurrect his once promising career.

When Mark teamed up with Sammie, he just seemed to have a Renaissance of sorts. Perhaps if Tommie joins them (because from every report out there, Mark and Sam are gonna be Rams a looooong time) he can recapture what made him such an awesome player. Exactly my thinking.Also if I was Mark Bradley I would work out with Sam and see if I can get a shot with the Rams.

OUmillenium
3/1/2011, 09:30 AM

YES!

texaspokieokie
3/1/2011, 09:33 AM
Please, no Sooners on cowboys, cowboys suck !!!

tfoolry
3/1/2011, 09:58 AM
Tommie has definitely earned the right to wear the coveted Blue Star.

texaspokieokie
3/1/2011, 09:59 AM

How ???

tfoolry
3/1/2011, 10:08 AM
He's a Sooner so he has class by default.

joe4sooners
3/1/2011, 10:12 AM

Agreed plus I'd hate to have to hate him!

OULenexaman
3/1/2011, 10:15 AM
Tommie has definitely earned the right to wear the coveted Blue Star. coveted?? not hardly....disgraced is more like it.

badger
3/1/2011, 10:16 AM
Proof that money doesn't equal happiness, huh STEP? That guy was getting overpaid for years and made more money than nearly everyone at his position, but clearly wasn't having fun.

Tommie was even expressing a few regrets after his first season in the NFL, saying he thought he could have helped us win it all in the 04-05 season. So really, I am convinced if he just got to team with another Sooner or be close to his Sooner family again he would be doing better. He's just... not... happy. :(

TUSooner
3/1/2011, 10:19 AM

Oh come on, he never did anything THAT bad.

OK2U
3/3/2011, 11:46 AM
Good article, Harris took out ad in paper to thank the city for their love

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/03/tommie-harris-thanks-bears-fan-in-tribune-ad.html
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/harrisad.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2011, 12:12 PM
Proof that money doesn't equal happiness, huh STEP? That guy was getting overpaid for years and made more money than nearly everyone at his position, but clearly wasn't having fun.

Tommie was even expressing a few regrets after his first season in the NFL, saying he thought he could have helped us win it all in the 04-05 season. So really, I am convinced if he just got to team with another Sooner or be close to his Sooner family again he would be doing better. He's just... not... happy. :(

Yeah, I remember the comments about telling other guys they need to stay because once its over, it becomes business and isn't that fun any more.

And something Paul Thompson said about him the other day really made sense...He said Tommie never really was that guy that was all in love with football...Especially after he had a kid, according to Paul, Tommie planned on getting out while he was still reasonably healthy so he could spend time with his kids. He wanted to get his money and get out.

The situation with Bradley happened, but that is overplayed...A pretty small piece of his unhappiness.

badger
3/3/2011, 05:03 PM
Perhaps it's time to retire, if he doesn't need the money and has invested what he has well enough. It's sad seeing players past their prime feeling like they need to keep in the league longer to keep getting huge paychecks while their bodies suffer irreparable, lifelong damage in the process. :(

Scott D
3/3/2011, 08:14 PM
I mean it could be worse..he could be that ********* Jolley.

texaspokieokie
3/4/2011, 08:45 AM
Perhaps it's time to retire, if he doesn't need the money and has invested what he has well enough. It's sad seeing players past their prime feeling like they need to keep in the league longer to keep getting huge paychecks while their bodies suffer irreparable, lifelong damage in the process. :(

Isn't Tommie only about 28 ???

HBick
3/4/2011, 12:53 PM
I was under the impression that he knee is pretty much shot and he's just a shell of his former self. I don't watch da bears, so anyone who wants to clarify, feel free

badger
3/4/2011, 01:04 PM
Isn't Tommie only about 28 ???

Retiring from the Neffel while your body's not broken and you're not broke is not a bad thing.

NormanPride
3/4/2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah, tell him to come back to Norman and work with kids around here! I bet that would do a lot for his psyche.